Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:19:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1]  (Read 155271 times)
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:31:37 PM

p9p1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.255
        inet6 xxxx::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 62921947  bytes 33087058738 (30.8 GiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 63627380  bytes 48378527420 (45.0 GiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
Kano is trolling, but he's a constructive troll, so his message is worth replying to. I was trying to find a link to the source code of utility I used for testing, but I can't seem to locate it. It was an offshot of "ttcp".

1) RX/TX statistics in many modern NIC are always zero, unless explicitly enabled. Somebody explained to me that it has something to do with passing WHQL certification. There are (or were) apparently two levels of it: normal and certified-for-clusters. At the "normal" level it is apparently much easier to get the "compatible with Windows X" certification if errors are reported only in specific circumstances. To get uncensored statistics you'll may need to place the chip in the "enterprise" or "diagnostic" or "cluster" mode. (Not to be confused with 802.3ad link aggregation or similar stuff).

2) To get a real feel for real packet loss use "ttcp" and monitor "netstat -s". For deepest understanding use both TCP/IP and UDP/IP mode with various buffer sizes.

3) There used to be a version of "ttcp" that supported one-sided testing by connecting on the remote side to the "simple IP services": echo, discard, chargen. Nowadays they need to be enabled explicitly. They aren't really usefull for benchmarking, but they are greatly useful to see if your network hub/switch/router can really cope with many hosts talking simultaneously. Please post here if you find such an utility.

4) If you see the statistics jumping in multiplies of 16777216 instead of 1 then don't assume that the driver is majorly broken. It may simply use incorrect byte order. So swap the byte order by hand or write a short script to do byte swap.

5) Some older Unix-compatible systems still have the spray/sprayd pair of programs used for packet loss testing. You may need to explicitly enable it, but it is a very easy to use program.

Have fun.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1805

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 09:11:46 PM

Meanwhile on my not very expensive D-Link DGS-1008D GBit switch my desktop is connected to:

http://media.gdgt.com/img/product/12/9ry/dgs-1008d-oqx-460.jpg

p9p1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.255
        inet6 xxxx::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 62921947  bytes 33087058738 (30.8 GiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 63627380  bytes 48378527420 (45.0 GiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

16:10:52 up 4 days,  2:51, 33 users,  load average: 1.36, 1.43, 1.48

Yep I prefer switches ...

Well - if newer kernels hide errors - my older one (name hidden to protect the innocent) doesn't seem to:

... my internet connection (linux box bridged using rpppoe) that runs through an old switch to my ADSL modem

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 
          inet addr:10.xxx.xxx.xxx  Bcast:10.xxx.xxx.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: xxxx::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:601281065 errors:37121 dropped:76234 overruns:37121 frame:0
          TX packets:565768303 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:19 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:397893249118 (370.5 GiB)  TX bytes:282719849762 (263.3 GiB)
          Interrupt:18 Base address:0xa000

07:36:19 up 112 days, 15:43

I see errors there ... to be expected ...

But the link to the main switch at home (D-Link DGS-1016D)

http://media0.symbios.pk/d-link-16-port-gigabit-rackmountable-switch-10-100-1000-m-dgs-1016d-1001.jpg

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 
          inet addr:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  Bcast:xxx.xxx.xxx.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: xxxx::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:687446826 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:719410978 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:315374024750 (293.7 GiB)  TX bytes:434255477859 (404.4 GiB)
          Interrupt:18 Base address:0x2000

I see none.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 09:51:33 PM

the errors you are squabbling over are insignificant, you could get half a million drops and not even notice it.
thorvald

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 09:56:05 PM

Please use this only for Avalon ASIC Development Status

Regards
Thor

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▀  ███▄
████████████▀▀    ▀▀███▀  ▄█████
██████████▀         ██▀  ▄████████
█████████▀      ▄▄▄▄██▀  ▄██████████
████████     ▄██████▀  ▄██  ████████
████████     ███████▀  ▄██    ████████
████████    ██████▀  ▄████    ████████
████████    █████▀  ▄█████    ████████
████████    ███▀  ▄██████     ████████
████████  ███▀  ▄█████▀     ████████
███████████▀  ▄█▀▀▀▀      ▄█████████
█████████▀  ▄█         ▄██████████
██████▀  ▄██▄▄    ▄▄████████████
▀████  ▄█████████████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

██████            ██████          ▄▄██████          ▄▄███████▄▄                ▄▄███████▄▄
 ██████          ██████        ▄██████████       ▄███████████████▄          ▄███████████████▄
 ▀█████▄        ▄█████▀       ████████████      ███████████████████        ███████████████████
  ▀█████▄      ▄█████▀       ████████▀▀        ███████▀▀    ▀▀██████      ██████▀▀     ▀▀██████
   ██████      ██████       ███████           ██████▀       ▄██████      █████▀           ▀█████
   ▀█████▄    ▄█████▀      ███████           ██████       ▄██████▀      █████               █████
    ▀█████▄  ▄█████▀       ██████            █████      ▄██████▀        █████               █████
     ██████  ██████        ██████            █████    ▄██████▀          █████               █████
     ▀█████▄▄█████▀        ██████            █████▄ ▄██████▀            █████               █████
      ▀██████████▀         ██████             ███████████▀     ▄███▄     █████▄           ▄█████
       ██████████          ██████              ████████▀    ▄▄██████      ██████▄▄     ▄▄██████
       ▀████████▀          ██████               ███████████████████        ███████████████████
        ▀██████▀           ██████                ▀███████████████▀          ▀███████████████▀
         ▀████▀            ██████                   ▀▀███████▀▀                ▀▀███████▀▀

[
 ▄███████████████████████▄
██▀                     ▀██
██  ▄█████████████████▄  ██
██  ███             ███  ██
██  ▀████████████████▀   ██
██                       ██
██                  ▄▄▄  ██
██   ██             ███  ██
██ ██████       ▄▄▄      ██
██   ██         ███    ▄ ██
██        ▄  ▄       ▄▀ ▄██
██      ▄▀ ▄▀      ▄▀ ▄██▀
██▄               ▀ ▄██▀
 ▀███████████████████▀
Telegram
ANN Thread
Website
]
flynn

Activity: 728
Merit: 540

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 11:20:01 AM

2) To get a real feel for real packet loss use "ttcp" and monitor "netstat -s". For deepest understanding use both TCP/IP and UDP/IP mode with various buffer sizes.

It's called "nttcp" or "nuttcp" on my box (Debian squeeze)

intentionally left blank
leiyplane

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 06:01:35 AM

Can first batch of Avalon ASIC reach even higher speed than current 66GHash at final stage?
BitSyncom (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 10:33:51 AM

Can first batch of Avalon ASIC reach even higher speed than current 66GHash at final stage?

final stage? This is hard to say at the moment, we will keep the community updated however.

In addition, I've been getting questions regarding our shipping schedule and which "batch" the Order on the shop belongs to.

Inventory. Avalon learned from the mistake of our competitors and since conception has decided to release small order batches of 300 ( a number solely based on our estimated capacity) and only when a batch is close to finished, we will begin the sales of the next batch. When a new batch is announced, there will be another thread. In short, any units ordered so far, until further notice is part of batch #1, which is currently scheduled to ship at Jan 14th. In addition, as people fail to follow up with their orders, there are still some units left in the store, so if you missed your chance originally, now it's the time.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 02:38:04 PM

final stage? This is hard to say at the moment, we will keep the community updated however.

In addition, I've been getting questions regarding our shipping schedule and which "batch" the Order on the shop belongs to.

Inventory. Avalon learned from the mistake of our competitors and since conception has decided to release small order batches of 300 ( a number solely based on our estimated capacity) and only when a batch is close to finished, we will begin the sales of the next batch. When a new batch is announced, there will be another thread. In short, any units ordered so far, until further notice is part of batch #1, which is currently scheduled to ship at Jan 14th. In addition, as people fail to follow up with their orders, there are still some units left in the store, so if you missed your chance originally, now it's the time.

For anyone that's interested, it looks like there are 3 units left in the store that will ship with the first batch.

avalon-asic.com
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 02:39:42 PM

Okay. I have 5 Icarus I'd like to trade-in to reserve 5 Avalon. I've sent at least 3 emails asking how to do this and have not gotten any replies so I'm making my problems public. Was the talk about using Icarus as a credit fake or are you planning on honor it?
purplesquid

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 04:09:20 PM

Okay. I have 5 Icarus I'd like to trade-in to reserve 5 Avalon. I've sent at least 3 emails asking how to do this and have not gotten any replies so I'm making my problems public. Was the talk about using Icarus as a credit fake or are you planning on honor it?

Trade-Ins. Avalon believes in continuing the trust that have build up with our old customers. Reinstating our policy of $300 per Icarus, $400 per Lancelot, limited one FPGA trade-in per ASIC unit. The trade-in program will continue to be available and will apply to 1st-gen Avalons when the time comes.

Important Notice
Trade-in projct:

any icarus or lancelot user can trade-in their icarus or Lancelot mining board for 300USD (icarus) or 400USD (lancelot). every new 60G mining machine can only trade-in one old mining board. this project will start after mass-production.

trade-in is NOT available for pre-orders.

There are no trade-ins for this first pre order batch, but trade-ins will be available for the first mass order batch, as far as I can interpret.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 04:24:12 PM

Okay. Sorry, I seem to have gotten confused, the price changed and I figured this was not still the preorder batch. It makes sense if you need the cash to not do tradeins at this time.
Frequency

Activity: 540

COINDER

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 11:55:29 PM

For anyone that's interested, it looks like there are 3 units left in the store that will ship with the first batch.

avalon-asic.com

it magically disapeared???

COINDER
COINDER
BitSyncom (OP)

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 12:58:54 AM

it magically disapeared???

Seems people have purchased those. I've just gone through and canceled a lot of pending orders from more than 10+ days ago that's still in the system, so there are some more units in stock now.

thorvald

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 02:01:46 PM

Any news regarding the devices ?

Regards
Thorvald

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▀  ███▄
████████████▀▀    ▀▀███▀  ▄█████
██████████▀         ██▀  ▄████████
█████████▀      ▄▄▄▄██▀  ▄██████████
████████     ▄██████▀  ▄██  ████████
████████     ███████▀  ▄██    ████████
████████    ██████▀  ▄████    ████████
████████    █████▀  ▄█████    ████████
████████    ███▀  ▄██████     ████████
████████  ███▀  ▄█████▀     ████████
███████████▀  ▄█▀▀▀▀      ▄█████████
█████████▀  ▄█         ▄██████████
██████▀  ▄██▄▄    ▄▄████████████
▀████  ▄█████████████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

██████            ██████          ▄▄██████          ▄▄███████▄▄                ▄▄███████▄▄
 ██████          ██████        ▄██████████       ▄███████████████▄          ▄███████████████▄
 ▀█████▄        ▄█████▀       ████████████      ███████████████████        ███████████████████
  ▀█████▄      ▄█████▀       ████████▀▀        ███████▀▀    ▀▀██████      ██████▀▀     ▀▀██████
   ██████      ██████       ███████           ██████▀       ▄██████      █████▀           ▀█████
   ▀█████▄    ▄█████▀      ███████           ██████       ▄██████▀      █████               █████
    ▀█████▄  ▄█████▀       ██████            █████      ▄██████▀        █████               █████
     ██████  ██████        ██████            █████    ▄██████▀          █████               █████
     ▀█████▄▄█████▀        ██████            █████▄ ▄██████▀            █████               █████
      ▀██████████▀         ██████             ███████████▀     ▄███▄     █████▄           ▄█████
       ██████████          ██████              ████████▀    ▄▄██████      ██████▄▄     ▄▄██████
       ▀████████▀          ██████               ███████████████████        ███████████████████
        ▀██████▀           ██████                ▀███████████████▀          ▀███████████████▀
         ▀████▀            ██████                   ▀▀███████▀▀                ▀▀███████▀▀

[
 ▄███████████████████████▄
██▀                     ▀██
██  ▄█████████████████▄  ██
██  ▀████████████████▀   ██
██                       ██
██                  ▄▄▄  ██
██   ██             ███  ██
██ ██████       ▄▄▄      ██
██   ██         ███    ▄ ██
██        ▄  ▄       ▄▀ ▄██
██      ▄▀ ▄▀      ▄▀ ▄██▀
██▄               ▀ ▄██▀
 ▀███████████████████▀
Telegram
ANN Thread
Website
]
michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 05:36:14 PM

Yeah.  I'm curious about these.  What will they look like?
BitSyncom (OP)

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 06:08:42 PM

Any news regarding the devices ?

Regards
Thorvald

I suppose the competition has ruined the "no news is good news" statement. We are on schedule and is not currently running into any problems or having new development speeding up our timeline. I could post some facility photos, but I feel that's a childish move and proves nothing. Alas, if there is demand from the community, I'll be happy to show off our truly state of the art equipment used to produce the Avalon.

Yeah.  I'm curious about these.  What will they look like?

Mmm, exactly finish and metal used in the device is not final as of yet, but the dimension is most likely 375 x 375 x 150mm. It's a compact little thing.

Kuma

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 06:16:28 PM

I suppose the competition has ruined the "no news is good news" statement. We are on schedule and is not currently running into any problems or having new development speeding up our timeline. I could post some facility photos, but I feel that's a childish move and proves nothing. Alas, if there is demand from the community, I'll be happy to show off our truly state of the art equipment used to produce the Avalon.

For myself I'd like to see some photos. It's not about necessity to prove anything, I just like fab photos and it makes this thread more colourful.  Smiley

Mmm, exactly finish and metal used in the device is not final as of yet, but the dimension is most likely 375 x 375 x 150mm. It's a compact little thing.

The dimensions sounds great, but pretty please not the white colour case for Avalon Wink. Titanium or black should be best Smiley.
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 07:31:20 PM

I would like to see some pics too  Grin

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 11:11:37 PM

For myself I'd like to see some photos. It's not about necessity to prove anything, I just like fab photos and it makes this thread more colourful.  Smiley
I have pretty much the same sentiments.
BitSyncom (OP)

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 03:15:47 AM

I've uploaded the full album here. http://imgur.com/a/KPBTl

and updated the front page.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: