Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:14:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 764 »
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA  (Read 1471701 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 10:31:57 AM

IOTA version 0.9.4
... 0.9.5
... 0.9.6
... 0.9.7

I can not so quickly download the latest version, until the next version is released Cheesy Things are going very well with IOTA.
Hope first ready-to-use version is released soon.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rlh

Activity: 804
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 12:26:04 PM

IOTA version 0.9.4
... 0.9.5
... 0.9.6
... 0.9.7

I can not so quickly download the latest version, until the next version is released Cheesy Things are going very well with IOTA.
Hope first ready-to-use version is released soon.

It basically changes with bug fixes and optimizations every day.  There is no harm in joining testing or just trying out the client ever few days, if that's what you'd like to do.  I try to help most days that I can, but even I get swamped with work and life and dip out of the discussions for a day or two at a time.

There isn't much to the client because claiming, sending and receiving funds or generating new addresses isn't that complex of an experience.

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
iotanol

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 08:57:34 PM

I got a problem. If I click 'Claim iotas', I get the total sum less than it should be.
It is exactly some (3'812'798'742'493 * x) and no remaining sum. So the remaining amount is missing. Why is it so? Can anybody clarify it please?
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 09:30:32 PM

I got a problem. If I click 'Claim iotas', I get the total sum less than it should be.
It is exactly some (3'812'798'742'493 * x) and no remaining sum. So the remaining amount is missing. Why is it so? Can anybody clarify it please?

"x" is limited to 23 by transaction size limit. Claim twice.
50cent_rapper
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 09:40:57 PM

Big corporations around the world making pilot projects on Ethereum already helped it to get 1,15 billion marketcap, and more important 48 000 000 $ daily trading volume.

Such projects as Lisk and Waves gathered 14000 BTC and 9200 BTC and hires stuff and planning marketing campaigns.

The media talks about blockchain projects, nobody cares about bitcoin.

I view this as a signal that 2016 year is the last year of small projects, the "players" at cryptoscene are getting bigger and bigger.

I hope that IOTA will not lose this year  Smiley
iotanol

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 09:41:57 PM

"x" is limited to 23 by transaction size limit. Claim twice.
I'll try it. Thank you!
bubbletea789

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 01:03:56 PM

can we just get a vote from all the iota holders to allocate 5% of their holding to the foundation in the genesis?

there are several advantages to this.
1) it will take into account the opinion of the majority of active stakeholders, which is good enough.
2) if we truly care about the tech and the direction of the project then the future should *only* lie on the hands of those who really care.
3) it will happen at the genesis distribution, so it is much easier than collecting all the pledges.

Also, "calling for donation" is a lengthy and ineffective process because the message and the gravity of the matter may not reach all the targeted audience. while the announcement of a vote and and the voting process will be more effective and more accurately gauging the interest of the active stakeholders.

If we cannot reach the target fund required, we cannot say that the "community" is not interested. because clearly the "Active community" is interested while only the "idle and speculator part" remains inactive and could be counted out. Just like if you do not cast your vote at the election, you lose your say on who will be leading the country (you are even penalised in where i come from).

Apparently, decision on the foundation is an easy one, those remain inactive will do so no matter what we do, so just find a way around them. They will have a few choices, vote no and see their hoard going down the drain OR remain silent and let the majority cast their opinions OR say yes and we move on with a favourable decision.

TLDR; I say we just have a vote using the btc address and nxt address used at the crowdsale. one address for yes and one address for no, anyone interested and eligible should send their corresponding votes,by sending a set amount of btc or nxt (a few cents in fiat term), and we can aggregate the result.
oldisoft

Activity: 854

https://iota.org/

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 01:17:37 PM

can we just get a vote from all the iota holders to allocate 5% of their holding to the foundation in the genesis?

1) it will take into account the opinion of the majority of active stakeholders, which is good enough.
2) if we truly care about the tech and the direction of the project then the future should *only* lie on the hands of those who really care.
3) it will happen at the genesis distribution, so it is much easier than collecting all the pledges.

Also, "calling for donation" is a lengthy and ineffective process because the message and the gravity of the matter may not reach all the targeted audience. while the announcement of a vote and and the voting process will be more effective and more accurately gauging the interest of the active stakeholders.

If we cannot reach the target fund required, we cannot say that the "community" is not interested. because clearly the "Active community" is interested while only the "idle and speculator part" remains inactive and could be counted out. Just like if you do not cast your vote at the election, you lose your say on who will be leading the country (you are even penalised in where i come from).

Apparently, decision on the foundation is an easy one, those remain inactive will do so no matter what we do, so just find a way around them. They will have a few choices, vote no and see their hoard going down the drain OR remain silent and let the majority cast their opinions OR say yes and we move on with a favourable decision.

TLDR; I say we just have a vote using the btc address and nxt address used at the crowdsale. one address for yes and one address for no, anyone interested and eligible should send their corresponding votes,by sending a set amount of btc or nxt (a few cents in fiat term), and we can aggregate the result.

I agree with voting! I'd like that foundation will take 50m(old) IOTAs!
Let's start voting! Which one BTC address's?
Cheers.

achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 01:19:39 PM

a vote is worth nothing. let's keep it simple:

Once iota is live and we get a donation address, we'll fund the foundation.

Easy
bubbletea789

Activity: 173

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 01:22:25 PM

Easy

why is it worth nothing?
rlh

Activity: 804

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 01:23:08 PM

Personally, for political reasons, I'm opposed to such a vote.  When people paid for the ICO, they essentially had a verbal contract that this process would work a certain way, and they would receive a certain number of of iota.  Vote or not, even a small minority has the right to expect that they will receive what they purchased per the initial contract set out by the iota team.

With that stated, if the team does determine to hold a vote, I'm not going to become an obstinate little jerk and I'll personally accept this judgement.  IMHO, though, the best way to hold this vote is to allow everyone to claim their tokens for a period on a final test chain and, say, for a period of a couple weeks, to a month, we can send 1 iota to one account as a "Yea" vote or 1 iota to a "Nay" account.

Each initial account gets 1 vote.  Since initial accounts are known we could allot one, equal weighted vote per contributor so that each person has the same level of pull OR we could opt to do it by account size and votes are weighted by ICO ownership.

After the voting period, the final test chain can be deleted, CfB can either restart the chain fresh, or he can add the appropriate foundation account, re-adjust our balances and then create the new chain.

Just some thoughts on this issue.  This requires more work on the iota teams part, and additional delays, but it would allow us to utilize the software we are purchasing and it will make sure that those that care are heard because, you know, they are actually using iota.

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 01:27:30 PM

Easy

why is it worth nothing?

Imagine 60% are in favor of allocating the funds for the foundation in the genesis and 40% are against it.
The 40% will be FORCED to give 5%. They'll feel robbed of their holdings.

Generally: Changing rules is very very bad. Let's not do it. Let's just donate.
banqueiro

Activity: 150

cryptoPag.com

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2016, 01:58:02 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2016, 02:26:23 PM by banqueiro

I agree with rlh that the voting for the imposition of a tax is not at all a good idea. If nothing else, the least we should demand from this project is that they respect our contract (yes, there is a previous known and clear contract).
Anyway, those who feel like donating will donate. Those who now are uncomfortable with the obscurities of the donation+bigdeal proposal will eventually donate, once those obscurities are cleared and confirmed to actually have been for honest reasons.
I personally have got no intentions to donate, as I was already told to fuck off. And, finally, I am sure that the project would receive much more donations and support if that specific iota admin was polite towards other people, or if he was at least less arrogant and respected those who questions his impositions. But he prefers to act like a smart ass who scares people away and, with that, he shows huge competence in shrinking the iota community.

WorldCoiner

Activity: 1069
Merit: 682

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2016, 02:33:08 PM

To be honest: Yes, it would be the much fairer approach if we would do it in this way. Problem at the moment is the free-rider effect. Because the investors are anonym, there are some that are taking advantage of it and just cash out after launch. You can see it in the Excel File, there are not 300 names, there are much less. So the active and honest guys needs to give around 10% to get the funding of 50 million done. So they somehow finance the free-riders. This is the reason why I’m for a Genesis deduction of amount X for foundation and deal. But I know this is now to late because the ICO is over and that was not covered in the terms and conditions. So we need to deal with this but I think it’s quite annoying, that the active parts finance the lazy silent guys, what is the fact at moment.
iotatoken

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 02:44:52 PM

I hear everyone's concerns, and sympathize with both sides. To be clear we - founders and sellers of the IOTA software - has never ever called for a premine or change in terms of software sale after the fact. We decided to kickstart IOTA as a grassroots open source project where everyone was responsible for IOTA's growth. The way we concluded back in October was that if we set aside a premine we'd run into the bystander effect of people thinking that they wouldn't have to do anything because "they already allocated funds to take care of it". Which would mean that the community would grow ever more dependent on us. That was and is still the rationale behind no premine. This is also why I am 100% entitled, in fact obligated by logic, to tell anyone who thinks for a moment that we're working for them for free, or that we owe them anything other than the software they bought, to 'fuck off', because we did not allocate a single iota for ourselves, so as to avoid that exact scenario. I won't mention names right now, but one such example is one guy in this very thread complaining, while he is advertising and selling iotas at a 20x ROI from our work, without having done anything himself.

Now, what we have proposed as the solution to all of this is the foundation and big deal to ensure continued adoption and growth. So far nearly all of the value and tons of things going on behind the scenes are only initiated by ~10 people. That is not to say that there's only 10 people providing value to the IOTA community, there's A LOT of you who do, whether it be through tutorials, translations, forwarding potential leads, managing tons of info, helping out with testing etc. But in terms of people actively working on the adoption and value increase of IOTA, it's few, which is why we need to found this foundation ASAP going forth to ensure IOTA's continued growth and adoption. An alternative I want to avoid is that a consortium is formed of these companies we're in touch with, they port the open source code and the freeloaders get stuck on a tangle with no activity, but this might very well happen if the IOTA community is unable to ensure it's own traction. This is a very simple decision for anyone that are able to do 1st grade math and reasoning.

50cent_rapper
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 02:48:31 PM

First of all I'm one of the big donators and I'm aware of the fact of "free-riders", but think about this:

1. The world works this way. There will always be fair guys and free-riders.

2. What if IOTA will be BIG SUCCESS, you know, like few billion dollars marketcap and so on? NO PREMINE for foundation makes it look like real community project, and there will be no "free-riders" talking that "they do not need do something cause foundation is paid by premine, so fuck off".
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 02:51:15 PM

I'm against taking anything from ICO investors prior to launch and I think it would have very negative effects on the perception of Iota (more FUD ammo) I do believe we can hit the Foundation goals with community funding and I'm planning to donate more than 5% of my stake to Foundation. What many are underestimating are donations from people that join our community after they buy IOTA on an exchange.
iotatoken

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 02:59:17 PM

I'm against taking anything from ICO investors prior to launch and I think it would have very negative effects on the perception of Iota (more FUD ammo) I do believe we can hit the Foundation goals with community funding and I'm planning to donate more than 5% of my stake to Foundation. What many are underestimating are donations from people that join our community after they buy IOTA on an exchange.

The only way that would happen is if it was unanimously voted for, which won't happen, so in my mind it's not even worth entertaining further, which is why we never suggested it either. We want IOTA to be an open source movement with a Foundation that was established by and for the community. Simple as that.

I am still hopeful that we can reach the 5% target pre-launch, but now that we're closing in it's an urgent matter, which is why I am pushing the issue. The Foundation I am initiating will only happen pre-launch or it won't happen at all, I say this because I know from years experience in this very field how this works. I don't believe for a second that we'll see a lot of donations post-launch of IOTA on exchanges. There's no way someone will buy at a 20-30x ICO price and then feel like donating when there's still people who made this 30x profit who isn't. I have NEVER seen that happen in my 4 years in crypto and do not expect it to happen now either.

Humans are simple mammals, once people mentally attach a value to their tokens (always happens, it killed Nxt and stalled Bitcoin for years), things stop progressing. So this is a 'now or never'  for me.

Several of the large companies I am in touch with is open for funding the foundation after we run out our funding in the future and we're actively in talks with them regarding being official members of the foundation, but that requires that we first get it off the ground. This is real life business, not crypto nonsense. People need to start accepting that IOTA is not some random crypto project, it's a genuine IoT standard movement which aims to be a solution in the real world, with real world deployment and utility from start.

msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 03:12:33 PM

The only way that would happen is if it was unanimously voted for, which won't happen, so in my mind it's not even worth entertaining further, which is why we never suggested it either. We want IOTA to be an open source movement with a Foundation that was established by and for the community. Simple as that.

I am still hopeful that we can reach the 5% target pre-launch, but now that we're closing in it's an urgent matter, which is why I am pushing the issue. The Foundation I am initiating will only happen pre-launch or it won't happen at all, I say this because I know from years experience in this very field how this works. I don't believe for a second that we'll see a lot of donations post-launch of IOTA on exchanges. There's no way someone will buy at a 20-30x ICO price and then feel like donating when there's still people who made this 30x profit who isn't. I have NEVER seen that happen in my 4 years in crypto and do not expect it to happen now either.

Humans are simple mammals, once people mentally attach a value to their tokens (always happens, it killed Nxt and stalled Bitcoin for years), things stop progressing. So this is a 'now or never'  for me.

Several of the large companies I am in touch with is open for funding the foundation after we run out our funding in the future and we're actively in talks with them regarding being official members of the foundation, but that requires that we first get it off the ground. This is real life business, not crypto nonsense. People need to start accepting that IOTA is not some random crypto project, it's a genuine IoT standard movement which aims to be a solution in the real world, with real world deployment and utility from start.

Oh okay, wasn't sure if this was a serious proposal or not. Anyway, I agree with you in that I'm very confident we can get the Foundation to 5%.
willowfoot

Activity: 332
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 03:37:12 PM

Why in the initial crowdsale, the foundation was never talked about, and now seems to be a do-or-die situation?

Why is it 5% or nothing? 

Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 764 »
  Print  

Jump to: