Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:46:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which is better? Monero or Dash?
Monero - 128 (63.7%)
Dash - 73 (36.3%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Honestly, which is better? Monero or Dash?  (Read 35896 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 12:25:46 AM

What is funny is that even with all of the dash sock puppet accounts voting the total votes is still lower for DASH.

No no no, they're not sock puppets. They are people who showed up brand new to crypto in 2014 when there were hundreds of coins being launched, new coins every single day, and all just happened to fall in love with Dash at first sight. It's all organic and real, I'm sure of it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 01:08:01 AM

... what you are missing is that having security dependent on masternodes is the problem, not government cooperation. Your brilliant leader built a flawed system that will only work when it's small potatoes, you look up and see the moon, but fail to notice the bullet proof glass ceiling with trigger happy FBI and NSA operatives standing in wait. I doubt it will ever be a problem, so you shouldn't worry; dash won't reach those kind of heights playing a game of greater fool musical chairs.

Really?  That's your argument?  "trigger happy FBI and NSA operatives standing in wait"?

bye.

That's a perverse misreading of what I wrote (I guess you missed the glass ceiling metaphor and that it wasn't meant to be taken literally), but do you actually think that any coin claiming to be anonymous won't need to be hardened from the security risks posed by governments? You want to be big time, yet you don't want to acknowledge the big time risks. But run away to dashland where everyone will nod in agreement and worship the false crypto-god of Evan.

In truth, none of these coins are currently government proof, but a very, very few are working toward that end and have the proper base to make it an actuality. I would say the best chances are a few of the cryptonote coins and what TPTB_need_war is working on (though more needs to be shown of his design), but none of them will be using masternodes, multiple hashes (like x11), or an instantx scheme.

Now waits for Toknormal to chime in with his idiotic theory of money in a desperate attempt to deny the superiority of opaque blockchains for anonymity.

ðºÞæ

Activity: 1176
Merit: 297

Bitcoin © Maximalist

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 06:27:08 AM

Here's the death blow. You can skim around those posts for more details.

Which is exactly what I wrote it must do, and exactly what I wrote when I surmised that your white paper was implying the highly jammable design of 10-of-10.

But as I pointed out in the correct math (which is clear you still haven't grasped), even 6-of-10 can be jammed 62% of the time (and multiply spent the other 38% of the time) given a 50% attack on the masternodes (i.e. the 50% attack on masternodes can attack 100% of the InstantX transactions).

Attack 50% of the masternodes, huh?  Pray tell, how is anybody going to accomplish that feat?
nothing could be easier, from the start more than 50% of masternodes were in the hands of a master entity

"The existing Visa credit card network processes about 15 million Internet purchases per day worldwide. Bitcoin can already scale much larger than that with existing hardware for a fraction of the cost. It never really hits a scale ceiling."  Satoshi Nakamoto, April 2009          Avoiding taxes is totally legal if you consider and respect the law.
Haliburton

Activity: 502
Merit: 118

Liberated Forever. Domesticated Never.

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 08:49:34 AM

Which is exactly what I wrote it must do, and exactly what I wrote when I surmised that your white paper was implying the highly jammable design of 10-of-10.

But as I pointed out in the correct math (which is clear you still haven't grasped), even 6-of-10 can be jammed 62% of the time (and multiply spent the other 38% of the time) given a 50% attack on the masternodes (i.e. the 50% attack on masternodes can attack 100% of the InstantX transactions).

Attack 50% of the masternodes, huh?  Pray tell, how is anybody going to accomplish that feat?
nothing could be easier, from the start more than 50% of masternodes were in the hands of a master entity

If that 50% of masternodes is controlled by a master entity, he will make sure nobody else can attack the network. So it is quite safe.

dadj

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 09:18:25 AM

If that 50% of masternodes is controlled by a master entity, he will make sure nobody else can attack the network. So it is quite safe.
You have completely missed the point of decentralised money.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
YOLOdice.comFast 1% Edge DiceAwesome ChartsFaucetPlay / InvestJOIN NOW!
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 09:31:21 AM

Attack 50% of the masternodes, huh?  Pray tell, how is anybody going to accomplish that feat?

You have completely missed the point of decentralised money.

He also missed that one target is easier than many.

FBI, "Hey this currency purports to be anonymous and lots of people are using it, is there any way we could get a guy who has or is breaking fincen regulations to cooperate with us in a data capture? Come on guys, is there anything we can hold over this guys head? .....Nothing? Oh, well, lets just stand here with our dick in our hands while this digital currency usurps the dollar -- wait, did someone say terrorist used this stuff to fund a bombing plan in Uruguay in 2014? And he lives in Arizona?"

Thus began "Operation Reality Check".

Now waits for dashboys to say an FBI crackdown is a big fantasy--missing that people using dash widespread enough to garner FBI interest is the bigger fantasy.

AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 10:06:18 AM

But  as smooth just pointed out, TPTB_need_war's point was that you don't even need 50% and he'll have to explain that to you (the math is beyond me and apparently Evan and yourself as well).

The game theory doesn't add up in terms of cost/benefit. You buy 10% of the nodes with millions of dollars in order to ...jam one out of every several hundred IXs. And you gain what for that?

It would be far cheaper to just buy/rent hashpower and make 51% double spends based on PoW.

You don't need to buy the nodes when you have a the owner of most of them under your thumb via escaping a fincen investigation through cooperation. Are you guys really this naïve? Chimerical? On one hand you say dash will compete with global currencies and on the other you think the authorities won't have incentive to attack or destroy dash if it becomes plausible that it could do so.

Listen to yourself. The government will take over a big percentage of the masternodes in order to jam one out of every few hundred transactions. You don't burn such a card for ...jamming instantx txs. The game theory doesn't add up.

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 10:46:13 AM

But  as smooth just pointed out, TPTB_need_war's point was that you don't even need 50% and he'll have to explain that to you (the math is beyond me and apparently Evan and yourself as well).

The game theory doesn't add up in terms of cost/benefit. You buy 10% of the nodes with millions of dollars in order to ...jam one out of every several hundred IXs. And you gain what for that?

It would be far cheaper to just buy/rent hashpower and make 51% double spends based on PoW.

You don't need to buy the nodes when you have a the owner of most of them under your thumb via escaping a fincen investigation through cooperation. Are you guys really this naïve? Chimerical? On one hand you say dash will compete with global currencies and on the other you think the authorities won't have incentive to attack or destroy dash if it becomes plausible that it could do so.

Listen to yourself. The government will take over a big percentage of the masternodes in order to jam one out of every few hundred transactions. You don't burn such a card for ...jamming instantx txs. The game theory doesn't add up.

Of course it doesn't add up if you use Evan's math (remember this is the same math that called darksend fast and X11 secure). I suggest you use TPTB_need_war's math and arrive at the correct solution.

AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 11:08:06 AM

Of course it doesn't add up if you use Evan's math (remember this is the same math that called darksend fast and X11 secure). I suggest you use TPTB_need_war's math and arrive at the correct solution.

From what I read, it's 10% nodes for jamming one every 666 InstantXs.

So, let's say the government takes over 10% of the nodes. And they will take them over to maliciously jam 1 out of 666 InstantX transactions? Why? Don't they have anything better to do, like DEANONYMIZING TRANSACTIONS?

If I am a government and tap into a good portion of masternodes and I'm able to deanonymize a small % of few-laundering-cycles of DarkSend (~2 rounds), why would I burn that card for ...jamming 1 out of 666 instantx txs? It doesn't make any sense.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 11:18:38 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2016, 11:37:57 AM by generalizethis

From what I read, it's 10% nodes for jamming one every 666 InstantXs.

So, let's say the government takes over 10% of the nodes. And they will take them over to maliciously jam 1 out of 666 InstantX transactions? Why? Don't they have anything better to do, like DEANONYMIZING TRANSACTIONS?

If I am a government and tap into a good portion of masternodes and I'm able to deanonymize a small % of few-laundering-cycles of DarkSend (~2 rounds), why would I burn that card for ...jamming 1 out of 666 instantx txs? It doesn't make any sense.

The scenario is that Evan owns more than 10% (hard to believe otherwise), so you are already starting with a faulty/biased premise. Dash is most likely centralized, so any attacks that have governments buying large chunks of masternodes seems like a faulty start point. Start with Evan owning 30-50% of the masternodes and the government only needing to threaten him with a fincen investigation to gain control of all of them. Again, this is presuming that dash survives (doubtful due to the weakness in X11) and that it grows big enough to be on the government's radar--which seems preposterous given its weakness at anonymity (time and dependence on masternodes) and the flaws TPTB_need_war has alluded to.

But this is the more complicated way to get at the truth. Why don't you ask Evan why he ran away from TPTB_need_war's response to his claim that his math was incorrect. I've never seen smooth or shen walk away from an argument with TPTB_need_war when they thought the point was in contention or the math was incorrect.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 07:10:30 PM

Monero's technology has always been better than Dash's "bad crypto."

And now we're about to lap them:

It seems like Shen is going full steam ahead! Some updates regarding Ring Confidential Transactions for Monero:

edit 1/9/2016: Looks like its fully funded! Thanks to everyone who funded - I've started the work (https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero/commit/9ede58897808bee784dab296654b99899a58c109), and I will be posting updates here for the next two weeks as I work on this, rather than updating both here and the stickied reddit post.

edit 1/13/2016: MG sigs + demo are done (git clone https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero.git, cd brief, make, a.exe (or a.out depending on system)). Most of the helper functions are there, so the rest should go a little bit quicker. Also fixed a tiny bug in Monero's keccak function.

edit 1/14/2016: ASNL + demo are done. (https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero/commit/88b2d93e137bd5a2e2a2700ac11136705bd463c5) I will probably do some additional checks on these and the MG sigs once I get everything finished, however they are working as expected now.

edit 1/15/2016: spent an all nighter getting a rough version of all the code finished - I will most likely clean it up, and then make it available early next week.

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/2450/ring-ct-c-crypto

Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
_nur

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 08:02:01 AM

too many opinion can i just follow the poll?
J1mb0

Activity: 983
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 09:07:05 AM

Remember that, if you are in a non-Monero moderated thread, and you advocate X coin over Monero, the devs and bag holders , finding that they cannot delete your posts, will resort to other bullying tactics like spamming your trust.

For that reason alone I would chose Dash over Monero - although I am agnostic on the comparable technical merits of each.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 02:32:32 PM

Dash is more popular, but Monero have stable user base. In fact Dash is better then, because of popularity.  Wink
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 02:40:01 PM

Dash is more popular, but Monero have stable user base. In fact Dash is better then, because of popularity.  Wink

Price does not mean it is more popular !

Popular comes from lat.  Populus = the folks, say in that case with stable user base you mean it has the better popularity Wink

Can also be seen here https://www.coingecko.com/en?sort_by=community_score

But to answer _nur's question... do not follow anything, always research for yourself as far as you can. Your own opinion is always the best opinion for yourself Wink
butragenjo

Activity: 616

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 09:29:23 PM

Dash is better and older but I like monero Wink
Monerobuyer0

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 11:51:51 PM

Monero has better cryptography but Dash has better marketing.
Blazin8888

Activity: 672

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 02:51:27 PM

Monero has some very compelling code.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 03:15:58 PM

Monero hands down

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2016, 03:41:40 PM

Dash is better and older but I like monero Wink

Older by how much?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: