Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:52:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 [218] 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 ... 345 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XEL] Elastic Project - The Decentralized Supercomputer  (Read 450433 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tomkat

Activity: 1022
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 06:31:20 AM

[...]
Hi EK, always good to hear from you. Thanks for the updates.
Maybe I misunderstood, please forgive me in advance. Do we need any funding for any equipment you need to test the SN ?

Hardware requirements for a SN are not that high.  I don't speak for EK, but there is practical certainty he has it totally covered.

I've been wondering what the specs would be to run an SN, now core software & SN.

Can I ask what you think would be the specs for a system to run the software, approximately.

As far as I know, supernodes are supposed to be reliably online, maintain a large XEL deposit as a sign of relative trustworthiness, and accept running novel foreign code (an aspect which should be safe in the restricted language used but still such that some places would feel more comfortable just running a regular node instead).

Yet the actual hardware requirements are apparently not really super extreme.  At least back on January 24th, EK made a reference to work using 5 gigabytes of RAM memory (on top of ordinary use by the operating system and so on, of course).

Since 16GB and 32GB RAM desktops are not uncommon among recent models today, that wouldn't be much at all.  The supernode vs regular node hardware requirements difference may not be "super extreme" versus "ordinary" so much as "mildly high" versus "okay even if really mediocre and outdated."  Of course, the adjectives are my own, not EK's, not a quote.

I don't know if exactly the 5 GB example is still representative.

But my earlier comment was mainly just based on the following: I think EK is coding supernodes to run on what he already has now, as the only easy way to do development and testing.  He is not programming them in a manner which would require him to get much different hardware.  There would be no reason to do the latter, as he chooses the expected complexity and memory requirements of work packages, which were originally going to be scaled down to even relatively mediocre computers.

For a fully specific answer with exact numbers, we might need to wait for EK to announce it when he is done coding.  I am no real expert, just a bystander.  Yet I bet it will be that just about any 16GB RAM (or maybe even 8GB) computer with permanent internet access could do it, if willing to have a large portion of system resources consumed running the software.

I'd say, the requirements for all SNs would need to be high enough to make it reliably process all network jobs. Obviously, it highly depends on the number of SNs, number of regular nodes, and the network workload. I guess EK has an idea how to balance all of this, otherwise he probably wouldn't implement this idea right?
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2017, 01:17:15 PM

Been a while since the last official update...maybe the quite before the storm  Wink
Bgjjj2016

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Ben2016

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 01:27:06 PM

Been a while since the last official update...maybe the quite before the storm  Wink
Has the heavy testing started ?

My " I want that Old Toyota Camry very bad" BTC Fund :1DQU4oqmZRcKSzg7MjPLMuHrMwnbDdjQRM
Join the Elastic revolution! Elastic Network: The Decentralized Supercomputer 
ELASTIC WEBSITE|ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD|JOIN THE SLACK
clivemy

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 01:40:41 PM

Small update from my side. The last 5 days I have spent implementing the SN logic into the mining application itself and I think it's time to press the delete button and implement the SN logic into the core client itself.

Problems, that came up:
- Getting a stable and high available JSON RPC server running, I have one based on libevent but its highly experimental and well unter-tested
- With this approach we have additional overhead regarding the communication between the SN program and the core client in terms of signing transactions, verifying them, etc. This is one additional point of failure.
- Also, the SN would run on an extra port causing more overhead to SN operators since they have to open yet another port in their firewalls.

So, why reinvent the wheel when SN run the core client anyway and have all networking stuff on bord already:
I am right now doing the SN logic in the core client itself. Here, we have the entire networking part (incl. blacklisting) already running and well tested. All signing functions are already there and the only thing that we need is the uplink to the mining application for the code evaluation itself.

Good news: For massive testing, it's enough to have a pseudo SN, who does some very light checks on the work (code correctness, WCET, ...). This will be done today and if you like you can start right into the testnet this evening.

PS: Whoever likes to have a libevent based JSON-RPC server written in C for his own project, just tell me. You can have the SN stuff that was done in the last 5 days.

When we update the core client to do the real work checks on the SN side, this will not cause any soft/hardfork. The "SN only" have to update their clients themselves.

Has anybody started testing yet?
Thefrolly

Activity: 672

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 01:42:10 PM

?? there has been a update yesterday

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2017, 01:58:49 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2017, 02:40:35 PM by klintay

Been a while since the last official update...maybe the quite before the storm  Wink

my bad, SN are being implemented, once that happens we can start doing some serious testing. FYI also anyone can download testnet even now and start playing around but not all features are there

Godson_Mansa

Activity: 616
Merit: 503

@Mansa_Godson

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 05:08:38 PM

you guys shill to damn much
lol
but still the project is interesting

where can i get info on the coinage/buy some.

Not too much info out there, but you can find something here http://www.elastic-project.com.

There're 100M coins, and it's based on NXT so no inflation here.

If you want to buy before mainnet, then you could try with escrow - here are some offers
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1589333.0, but you will need to wait anyway since there's no way for anyone to control their coins at the moment.

Thanks For The Answer Tom.

http://MutualCapitalCrypto.com

Bitrated user: AltcoinGodson.
tomkat

Activity: 1022
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 05:31:58 PM

Been a while since the last official update...maybe the quite before the storm  Wink

my bad, SN are being implemented, once that happens we can start doing some serious testing. FYI also anyone can download testnet even now and start playing around but not all features are there

I tried with current git version but there're no peers on the network - the only thing you can test is just the basic wallet features.
Also, the faucet wasn't working for me, so for testing one could try to redeem XEL from genesis, however, it might be dangerous at this point.
ghoom2

Activity: 548
Merit: 265

My old account was "Ghoom" (hacked) u=199247

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 08:05:20 PM

Code:
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Nxt.getStringProperty: nxt.addOns not defined
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Nxt.getStringProperty: nxt.allowedUserHosts = "127.0.0.1; localhost; [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1];"
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Nxt.getBooleanProperty: nxt.enableUIServer = "false"
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Users.<clinit>: User interface server not enabled
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Nxt.getStringProperty: nxt.superNodePassphrase = ******************
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Nxt.getBooleanProperty: nxt.autoRenewSupernode = "true"
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Nxt.getStringProperty: nxt.superNodeExternalIP = "127.0.0.1"
2017-03-15 21:01:13 SEVERE: Nxt$Init.<clinit>: You are trying to become a supernode, but you do not have enough funds for the deposit. Please fund your account first, and try again later.
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Logger.logShutdownMessage: Shutting down...
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Logger.logShutdownMessage: shutting down sendingService
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Logger.logShutdownMessage: shutting down peersService
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Logger.logShutdownMessage: Database shutdown completed
2017-03-15 21:01:13 INFO: Logger.logShutdownMessage: Elastic server 0.9.1 stopped.

@EK :
How start elastic-core without fund ?

█████████████ ⚡ BITCOIN 2 ⚡ ███████c█████████████████
█████████████ ⚡ Join the discussion thread ⚡ █████████████
👀 Private  ⚡ Fast  ¢ Low fees 🔴 Scalable 💡 Economical  ❂ Decentralized
Bgjjj2016

Ben2016

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 02:08:44 AM

Has testing started yet ? And please , can someone write the instructions on how to do the testing if it's ready ? Smiley

My " I want that Old Toyota Camry very bad" BTC Fund :1DQU4oqmZRcKSzg7MjPLMuHrMwnbDdjQRM
TrollPanda

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 10:48:29 AM

Don't want to rush anyone.. and testing is important.. But I think it would be beneficial if XEL would be launched asap in this insanely bullish altcoin market. More eyes will be on alts and that would really help Elastic in the long run.
ttookk

Activity: 994
Merit: 513

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 11:57:20 AM

Don't want to rush anyone.. and testing is important.. But I think it would be beneficial if XEL would be launched asap in this insanely bullish altcoin market. More eyes will be on alts and that would really help Elastic in the long run.

I wouldn't give a crap about what is happening on the market.

Additionally, could we please stop talking about when we should go mainnet, that we need a roadmap and all that bullshit? It's done when it's done.
Bgjjj2016

Ben2016

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 01:05:43 PM

Additionally, could we please stop talking about when we should go mainnet, that we need a roadmap and all that bullshit? It's done when it's done.
Let's welcome questions ( specially from newcomers) . We are a new name and we have to keep it professional in every aspect. Using BS and other threatening words and creating an environment of fear would only show our weakness. So , please be polite and don't leave messages while drinking  Grin ( just a joke)

unvoid

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 06:34:23 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2017, 06:59:34 PM by unvoid

Mainnet is important. We should first stop bashing every user for asking for obvious things (like mainet or testnet or exchanges) and it's not important if he is newcomer or oldboy. Actually I wondering what keeping us from launching mainnet (coin). I have some thoughts that @EK need to implement full functionality of miner into core (coin + miner) and if he don't do this now we will need lot of hard forks. That's why we are waiting for ready product that long. But for the other hand, lot of coins had lot of hard forks. Easiest example here is NXT (and we are fork of NXT to the reminder) which had countless number of hard forks and non of it was direct couse of some bad things (I mean broken network). Key here is to inform exchanges about it. Next PoS example should be first PoS coin Peercoin, they had numerous of HFs and every time HF went smoothly.

I (and every of you including @EK) don't know when testnet will be alive and more important, when mainnet. And this is actually sad.

Golem is doing this right way - exchanges ASAP to rise as much interest during development. It's awesome and big surprise that @coralreefer and other joined Elastic without any existence in the world (i.e. position in coinmarketcap.com). Biggest awareness about Golem coming from coinmarketcap.com, from there articles started pop up (journalists were interested in new thing or simply Golem Team paid them) and average John Doe started to looking what this new thing is.

Again, I don't know why we can't launch mainnet (coin) to this date (maybe @EK, @coralreefer or others know). And I hope testnet will be soon live with new basecode to feed users and @EK will be helpful with content that should fill elastic official website. Right now I can't launch any website, I don't have scientific content and I don't want to write how I feel Elastic work or should work.

BTC: 1CMgHWx4wkAaAy2FfeCyPdedUExmhGhfi5
XEL: XEL-HCM8-KB6E-YFLK-8BWMF
clivemy

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 08:50:58 PM

Mainnet is important. We should first stop bashing every user for asking for obvious things (like mainet or testnet or exchanges) and it's not important if he is newcomer or oldboy. Actually I wondering what keeping us from launching mainnet (coin). I have some thoughts that @EK need to implement full functionality of miner into core (coin + miner) and if he don't do this now we will need lot of hard forks. That's why we are waiting for ready product that long. But for the other hand, lot of coins had lot of hard forks. Easiest example here is NXT (and we are fork of NXT to the reminder) which had countless number of hard forks and non of it was direct couse of some bad things (I mean broken network). Key here is to inform exchanges about it. Next PoS example should be first PoS coin Peercoin, they had numerous of HFs and every time HF went smoothly.

I (and every of you including @EK) don't know when testnet will be alive and more important, when mainnet. And this is actually sad.

Golem is doing this right way - exchanges ASAP to rise as much interest during development. It's awesome and big surprise that @coralreefer and other joined Elastic without any existence in the world (i.e. position in coinmarketcap.com). Biggest awareness about Golem coming from coinmarketcap.com, from there articles started pop up (journalists were interested in new thing or simply Golem Team paid them) and average John Doe started to looking what this new thing is.

Again, I don't know why we can't launch mainnet (coin) to this date (maybe @EK, @coralreefer or others know). And I hope testnet will be soon live with new basecode to feed users and @EK will be helpful with content that should fill elastic official website. Right now I can't launch any website, I don't have scientific content and I don't want to write how I feel Elastic work or should work.

EK said we'd have documentation for PR, website, marketing, etc. on the 26th of last month.  There's been no mention of it since.
NorthPixel

Activity: 314

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 09:17:22 PM

How many coins we need to to raise the node?
HomoHenning

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 09:19:53 PM

please just launch it to stop these annoying questions on every new page...
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 09:33:43 PM

EK said we'd have documentation for PR, website, marketing, etc. on the 26th of last month.  There's been no mention of it since.

Once I am finished with everything and have brought everything to a point that it all works, I am outta here.

I am dedicating a large portion of my life for this, many hours per day where others go swimming or watch some movies, and I really try to get everything right. And if something comes up that was not planned, I hit the reset button and do it over - just because I want to make it perfect for you guys.

But the more I do, the more people demand from me without even honoring what I have done so far. And if I need a few days longer I naturally become the asshole.

What once began like a fun and thrilling project becomes a true burden. I don't even like to come here anymore, because all I read is "mainnet?" "why is no documentation there?" "why is not this and that there?" "where are you? You have not reported to me for 2 days".

Regarding the status: almost done! The thing is ... do we want it "working somehow" or "working well". The working "somehow" is ready right now, the "well" needs some more testing over the weekend. We have supernodes for a day ... I don't feel comfortable to NOT test it well.
wizzardTim
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000

Reality is stranger than fiction

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 09:41:11 PM

Don't worry EK. There would be no elastic wihout you.

Take your time, no rush and release whenever it's ready.

Smiley Smiley

Hope you stay.

@community: it will be sad if EK leaves because of treating him like he is an employee or something

Behold the Tangle Mysteries! Dare to know It's truth.

- Excerpt from the IOTA Sacred Texts Vol. I
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 09:47:33 PM

Also, I always read that Golem is doing everything so well.
So here is the deal:

When Golem launches and I fail to identify a simple way to exploit their system (submitted to their own bug report system of course), I will donate everything what is right now in my private bank account to the Lost Dog & Cat Rescue Foundation.
Pages: « 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 [218] 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 ... 345 »
  Print  

Jump to: