Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:07:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL: Chips have shipped, on their way to US  (Read 25576 times)
Beans

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 08:30:12 AM

It seems strange to me that they don't have a working product. Making a large order and just hoping that everything works out seems risky. I don't see how they can be so sure everything will work correctly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 08:41:41 AM

It seems strange to me that they don't have a working product. Making a large order and just hoping that everything works out seems risky. I don't see how they can be so sure everything will work correctly.

This is a new age....throw tons of money at a business that has no working product for months....just have "FAITH"

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Beans

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 09:45:44 AM

This is a new age....throw tons of money at a business that has no working product for months....just have "FAITH"

I'm only worried about mass producing something before testing it.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 10:10:54 AM

An update on what's going on at the bumping facility is way overdue.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 12:37:52 PM

An update on what's going on at the bumping facility is way overdue.

I know right ?! I'm sure they have been slaving away for us all weekend...
luffy

Activity: 607

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 01:14:04 PM

i will gladly be a beta tester :p
there is no time for testing unfortunately. the first rigs will produce all the money Wink
Beans

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 03:55:13 PM

i will gladly be a beta tester :p
there is no time for testing unfortunately. the first rigs will produce all the money Wink

A little more waiting is a small price to pay if the alternative is were all screwed. I don't see how they could be certain it worked without testing one. I'm not talking about user testing..
repentance

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 09:27:20 PM

A little more waiting is a small price to pay if the alternative is were all screwed. I don't see how they could be certain it worked without testing one. I'm not talking about user testing..

They are being tested, albeit only for a day plus a short burn-in before shipping.

- 2 days in bumping facility
- Transport to substrate and packaging
- 1 - 2 days for substrate and packaging
- Transport to assembly house
- < 24 hours at assembly house
- ~1 day for chip verification/testing
- Transport to Kansas City
- Bulk assembly / send out demo units
- Ship bulk units

Remember that the next 6,000 chips don't have all the layers completed yet.  Those chips are their back up plan if this first batch fail (and yes, there would be a further delay).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 09:40:15 PM

I agree here. Testing should be done on small quantities (i.e. a prototype ...DUH). BFL must have some magic potion that allows them to divert the normal development process in any new technology.

Unicorns, leprechauns, pots of golds, lucky charms, rainbows!

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 09:48:25 PM

I agree here. Testing should be done on small quantities (i.e. a prototype ...DUH). BFL must have some magic potion that allows them to divert the normal development process in any new technology.

You remember that little fiasco where they were using a QFN chip, but then when they tested it, the plastic couldn't conduct the heat out of the chip and into the heatsink? Well, lets just think about that for a second. They had chips, and they were even testing the chips on one of their boards. If they really had a faulty design, and the chips really couldn't hash, then they would have known about it in October.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 09:55:30 PM

You remember that little fiasco where they were using a QFN chip, but then when they tested it, the plastic couldn't conduct the heat out of the chip and into the heatsink? Well, lets just think about that for a second. They had chips, and they were even testing the chips on one of their boards. If they really had a faulty design, and the chips really couldn't hash, then they would have known about it in October.

I always figured that it was most likely that the whole story was made up out of whole cloth.  Just a set of words chosen because it was most effective at placating the community and keeping the pre-order funds rolling in.  In case you've not noticed anyone can say anything on the Internet, and without some solid evidence and proof, the words are pretty much useless.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 09:57:08 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2013, 10:23:59 PM by loshia

They would have known that is more easy to change pcb and heat sink instead right?
Sounds logical not to throw away the WORKING CHIPS with the money paid to produce them? And miss the chance to show a working video of "overheating chips" just for a seconds to suck Avalon and BTCFPGA potential customers  - roughly about 2+ million USD. I doubt that they are so damn stupid to miss that chance what about you?
But yeah it sounds more logical compared to TOM famous excuse of powers of two for those that remember that ridiculous post. The most funny thing is that particular post brought to Tom/BTCFPGA more orders
I can say that BFL learned a lesson and are doing good compared to to tom. But we as a community are not learning unfortunately

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 10:16:24 PM

There is no hard evidence they ever had any chips back in October now is there? Video? Witnesses?

People are still forgetting that all that has really been said by josh...are JUST WORDS.

Oh right we cant forget the box of fans he brought to CES.

Other than that, that is all the "evidence" there really exists.

Why is BFL so quiet? Aren't they supposed to be shipping already? Or at least assembling units? Why no pix? Why no updates?

Oh wait...let me guess Leprechauns stole the magic chips and shoved them up a unicorns ass?  Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Beans

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 11:15:57 PM

I'm not sure how they tested the heat, but if they had a hashing ASIC they wouldn't be hiding it. They could have also figured out the spec for the unit by now if they had one. It's more likely they just skipped testing and went straight to production hoping everything works out.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 11:34:10 PM

There is no hard evidence they ever had any chips back in October now is there? Video? Witnesses?

People are still forgetting that all that has really been said by josh...are JUST WORDS.

Why is BFL so quiet? Aren't they supposed to be shipping already? Or at least assembling units? Why no pix? Why no updates?

Oh wait...let me guess Leprechauns stole the magic chips and shoved them up a unicorns ass?  Cheesy
Perhaps the chips never made it in time for "Kano's Press and Pony Show"?
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 11:58:46 PM

Perhaps the chips never made it in time for "Kano's Press and Pony Show"?

Ever heard of a bribe?

I wouldnt be surprised if Kano was bribed to speak good about BFL blah blah blah.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

repentance

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 12:08:23 AM

Josh has become very skilled at delaying updates which are due at the end of the week until after the weekend and those which are due at the beginning of the week until the end of the week.

He was "hoping to find out" on Saturday whether the bumping facility was actually processing BFL's order or just preparing the equipment in order to process it. 

Even if he announced today that the chips have left the bumping facility for the packaging facility, it's pretty obvious that BFL is not going to ship this week.  The question is how long Josh believes he can put off announcing another delay before BFL customers lose their shit.

Is there even going to be anything to show kano apart from boxes and fans before his return flight?

The way things are shaping up, there's likely to be at least one more difficulty jump before BFL customers start receiving their orders.

meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 12:10:11 AM

I'm not sure how they tested the heat, but if they had a hashing ASIC they wouldn't be hiding it. They could have also figured out the spec for the unit by now if they had one. It's more likely they just skipped testing and went straight to production hoping everything works out.

The fact that BFL was able to switch package types mid-stream might indicate that they never had a full production of wafers.

Some of the heat testing places use ceramic elements to mimic the thermal load and get a general sense of how the board and it's ancillary components will perform.
(and IIRC this thermal testing only took place last November)

My suspicion is both are true.  I chuckle when Josh says, "We've done the impossible!," by changing the packaging type.  When this most likely means that BFL was never anywhere close to published timelines ever.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 12:19:24 AM

The question is how long Josh believes he can put off announcing another delay before BFL customers lose their shit.

Is there even going to be anything to show kano apart from boxes and fans before his return flight?

The way things are shaping up, there's likely to be at least one more difficulty jump before BFL customers start receiving their orders.
Ahh, I think he will say either:

The "week" of the 27th.

or

The Fifth week of February....oh shit...February only had 28 days...FUCK!

Ah, but if he says the week of the 27th....he could make people wait all the way until the 2nd. Wink
repentance

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 12:21:28 AM

Some of the heat testing places use ceramic elements to mimic the thermal load and get a general sense of how the board and it's ancillary components will perform.
(and IIRC this thermal testing only took place last November)

Didn't Josh say they ran simulations?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: