Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:51:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 70 »
  Print  
Author Topic: - AURORACOIN -  (Read 136760 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dinobotta

Activity: 248
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 08:16:54 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2016, 10:18:46 AM by dinobotta

slightly off-topic question about Icelandic history:

I remember someone telling a story about the Icelandic government accepting all kinds of things (not just the national currency) for tax payments at some point in the past.

If I recall correctly it started with people using some kind of privately issued commodity IOUs (I think they were on conrete or some other building material issued by an Icelandig business. If I recall correctly the owner of the business might've been an ancestor of the guy telling the story) as money. Because the Krona (or whatever currency in use) was being hyperinflated the tax officials accepted this private paper for tax payment (because the government could use it to buy goods/services and: why not).

So if anyone has a link to the story or any info about it (or is the grandson of that business owner), please do tell. (I hinted at the story in german subforum and promised to dig it out if someone voiced interest. Someone did, so I need help finding it ;-) ).

https://99bitcoins.com/why-iceland-should-really-drop-the-krona-and-adopt-bitcoin/

NB. Sveinn Valfells has been to one of our Auroracoin meetings and I have talked on a conference here in Iceland where he was also speaking, where he told me this story of the concrete IOU's and the tax collector calling asking if they were good as money!

"Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone". Satoshi Nakamoto

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dinobotta

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 08:20:43 AM

This article just came out: The Death and Rebirth of Auroracoin

http://bitcoin.about.com/od/Bitcoin-Around-the-World/fl/The-Death-and-Rebirth-of-Auroracoin.htm

"Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone". Satoshi Nakamoto
restless
Legendary

Activity: 1151
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 05:42:39 AM

IF someone is kind enough to edit first post in the topic? For example suggested Windows wallet is too old...

Also it seems there are no pools for groestl algo, or at least I cant find such - http://crypto.office-on-the.net:12351/static/ works but noone mines there and its simply not worth the effort to point 2-3 GPUs that way
adamastor

Activity: 403
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 07:03:18 AM

Here's an awesome mug that's lights up with the Aurora boreal is when you drink your coffee.

http://www.earthables.com/aurora-borealis-mug-1712483474.html?c=WP
strataghyst

Activity: 393

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 08:17:39 AM

IF someone is kind enough to edit first post in the topic? For example suggested Windows wallet is too old...

Also it seems there are no pools for groestl algo, or at least I cant find such - http://crypto.office-on-the.net:12351/static/ works but noone mines there and its simply not worth the effort to point 2-3 GPUs that way

You can give my pool a try http://strataspool.com/stats  Grin
restless
Legendary

Activity: 1151

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 09:13:10 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2016, 09:40:34 AM by restless

the problem is - network hashrate is 1-2GH coming from nowhere - probably a whale renting, with few cards there is 0 reason to mine alone vs such power
strataghyst

Activity: 393

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 11:02:20 AM

the problem is - network hashrate is 1-2GH coming from nowhere - probably a whale renting, with few cards there is 0 reason to mine alone vs such power

Well there is someone mining at around 200mh and finding blocks so you can give it a try. Wink
JessicaG

Activity: 343
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 11:59:48 AM

I thought capital controls on foreign investors of Icelandic bonds had recently been toughened. Are you investing or speculating? As it stands, BTC can't cope with global retail volume so is turning more into an international settlement system like all those shipments of gold over a century ago IMO. A local payment currency such as AUR may prove more stable for day to day trade than an international currency. One thing for certain is that people are used to using one currency in their pocket, so persuading people to use 100's of different crypto's is a tough ask. So many of these extremely useful service crypto's are probably only going to end up worth their actual usage, people will only buy them when they need to use them.
If AUR is heading for the retail usage route, it may want to look at incorporating some technology from DASH.

Don't count on it. I understood Auroracoin inherited the Digibyte core? Digibyte has a crappy core, due to it's 15 seconds block time: No instant usability (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=408268.msg15188688#msg15188688)
Auroracoin having 61 seconds block time, is up for the same.

Most wallets are crap build on crap... the Digibyte wallet is no exception in this. We are aware of that. That's why we have a few maintenance releases upcoming, to remove a lot of cruft that accumulated in time (check the official forum on plans and discussions around that). That having said, block times are no issue, for AUR sync times are not that bad (yet). For fast payments, use web wallets, or a payment provider that instantly confirms.

Would someone be so kind to give an update or insight regarding and surrounding the desktop QT-wallet.

Here is what I am facing:
I left mining Digibytes because of their crappy QT-wallet https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=408268.msg15150918#msg15150918
Prior me leaving mining Digibytes, I started searching for a new source to point my equipment at. I knew of Auroracoin for some time, and was pleasantly surprised finding it still being alive and the takeover. I had positive experience with mining Auroracoins in the past, and whilst reading back and forth this topic and the prior ones, I decided to switch my resources from Digibyte to Auroracoin. The multi-algo's was one of the factors that had attracted me.
I am honest to say, that I find myself somewhat disappointed. And I'm also honest to say that the 'fault' in that totally sits with myself, due to my expectations on the multi-algo. Except for the block time, I came to experience none of the code has been altered or optimized.

Without wanting to be inflammatory, them guys at Digibyte cannot program properly. I'm not talking tech savy stuff here, but usability. Regarding usability, easy usability, their wallet just sucks. And giving it straight forward, Auroracoin's does to.

The official Auroracoin forum, I find a total mess. Not fudding here, just giving some feedback. In my opinion it has no easy overview, on which I am stuck finding answers.

So, my straight forward questions:

Are their any plans to optimize the wallet?
And if so, what would they be?

░▓██████████████░
    ░▒██            ▒██▒░         ▓█████▓                               ░█████▒               ███                   
█████▓░     ██████░   ▒▓████      ██░░░▓█▓                             ▒███▒▓███              ███                     
██        █▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▓▒    ██     ▒█▓    ██                             ███   ▒██▒                                 
▓█      ░█▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓█░  █▓     ▓█▒   ▒█▓  ░████▓    █████   ░█████▓  ██▓    ██▓  ███████▓   ▓██   ▒█████▓   ███████▓
░█░    ░█▓▒▒░░░░░▒ ░▒██  ░█░     ██    ██░  ██  ▓█▒  ██░ ▒█▓  ▓█▓  ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███▒ ▓███  ███  ▒██▓ ▒██▒  ███▒ ▓███
 ██    ██▒░░░▒▒ ░░▒▒▓█▒  ██     ▒█▓    ██  ██   ▒█▒ ▓█░   █▓  ██   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███   ███
 ▒█░ ░▒█▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒█ ░█▒     ▓█░   ▒█▓  ███████  ███████░ ░█▓   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
  ██ ░██▓▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒░░░█░ ██      ██    ██░ ▒█▓░▒░░  ░█▓░▒░░░  ▓█░  ▒█▒  ██▓    ██▓  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
   ██  █▓██▓▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓█▒ ██      ▒█▓   ░██  ██       ▓█░       ██   ██   ███   ▒██▒  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███  ░███
    ██    ▒▓███████▓  ██       ██▒  ▒██   ██  ░██  ▓█░  ██░ ░██  ▓█▓   ▓██▓▒▒███   ███  ░███  ███  ░██▓░▓██▒  ███  ░███
     ██░       ░    ░██        ██████▓    ▒█████   ░█████░  ▓█████▓     ▒█████▓    ███  ░███  ███   ▒█████▒   ███  ░███
      ▒██          ██▒                                      ██                                                   
        ▒██░     ▓██                                       ▒█▓                                                         
          ▓██░ ▓██░                                        ██░                                                         
            ▒██▓
Tor Integrated & Secured
ny2cafuse
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 03:07:15 PM

Would someone be so kind to give an update or insight regarding and surrounding the desktop QT-wallet.

Here is what I am facing:
I left mining Digibytes because of their crappy QT-wallet https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=408268.msg15150918#msg15150918
Prior me leaving mining Digibytes, I started searching for a new source to point my equipment at. I knew of Auroracoin for some time, and was pleasantly surprised finding it still being alive and the takeover. I had positive experience with mining Auroracoins in the past, and whilst reading back and forth this topic and the prior ones, I decided to switch my resources from Digibyte to Auroracoin. The multi-algo's was one of the factors that had attracted me.
I am honest to say, that I find myself somewhat disappointed. And I'm also honest to say that the 'fault' in that totally sits with myself, due to my expectations on the multi-algo. Except for the block time, I came to experience none of the code has been altered or optimized.

Without wanting to be inflammatory, them guys at Digibyte cannot program properly. I'm not talking tech savy stuff here, but usability. Regarding usability, easy usability, their wallet just sucks. And giving it straight forward, Auroracoin's does to.

The official Auroracoin forum, I find a total mess. Not fudding here, just giving some feedback. In my opinion it has no easy overview, on which I am stuck finding answers.

So, my straight forward questions:

Are their any plans to optimize the wallet?
And if so, what would they be?

"Optimizing" the wallet is pretty vague.  When you say optimize the wallet, what are you looking for in a wallet update?

Our primary concern with the code is that it provides a stable blockchain for us to build day to day services on.  The change to multi-algo greatly improved this over our previous code.  So as far as the blockchain workings are concerned, we're in a much better place now.  The GUI is another story though.  We've talked extensively as a group about changing the GUI, and BioMike has some decent plans on doing it, but they are somewhat secondary to our primary goals at this time.  I also proposed that we get rid of QT altogether at some point in an alternative wallet.

All that said though, you need to be clear on what you want.  Is optimizing changing the GUI?  Is it changing the blockchain specs?  Are you wanting the wallet to just give you AUR every time you open it?  Looking at your discussion in the DGB thread, are you just looking for an Electrum wallet for AUR?

What is it that you want to see?

-Fuse

Community > Devs
JessicaG

Activity: 343
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 03:52:10 PM

"Optimizing" the wallet is pretty vague.  When you say optimize the wallet, what are you looking for in a wallet update?

Our primary concern with the code is that it provides a stable blockchain for us to build day to day services on.  The change to multi-algo greatly improved this over our previous code.  So as far as the blockchain workings are concerned, we're in a much better place now.  The GUI is another story though.  We've talked extensively as a group about changing the GUI, and BioMike has some decent plans on doing it, but they are somewhat secondary to our primary goals at this time.  I also proposed that we get rid of QT altogether at some point in an alternative wallet.

All that said though, you need to be clear on what you want.  Is optimizing changing the GUI?  Is it changing the blockchain specs?  Are you wanting the wallet to just give you AUR every time you open it?  Looking at your discussion in the DGB thread, are you just looking for an Electrum wallet for AUR?

What is it that you want to see?

-Fuse

Seriously...?

But okay, on topic:
The Digibyte wallet is a crappy one. If you don't know what I mean by that, it might prove kinda difficult to explain, since Auroracoin is using the same core.

So. I'm not having all my wallets opened like 24/7. And most likely, average users won't either. What I was facing with the Digibyte wallet, is that it took quite some time to load. And once loaded, it took another good deal of time hauling all the blocks in, the synchronizing. So, I had to wait, wait, wait some, and wait some more, before I could see what my actual balance was, let alone before I could do anything useful with it. Not to mention the wallet crashes it did lately whilst synchronizing.
If you know what I am talking about, keep reading. If not, kindly someone else from the dev team to pop in please.

Now, before the multi-algo switch the Auroracoin wallet was nice. Loaded average quickly, synchronized nicely, no problems.
Though currently, my experience with the Auroracoin wallet is becoming similar with that of the Digibyte: Long load and synchronizing times. Except for the crashes, I haven't encountered them yet.

So with "optimizing", I mean anything that has overlap in the "speed" / "time" / "waiting" / etc area. I wasn't talking tech savy stuff, but usability. The changeover to multi-algo may have provided a more stable blockchain, but at the cost of having turtle wallet in return.

So in answer to your questions, yes, something like light wallets. Multibit, Electrum, that kinda stuff (but no web wallets). Or, just a better 'optimized' version of the current wallet; less turtle, more speed. 'Optimized', as from a users experience view: Having access to your funds quickly and being able to execute transactions in a fairly manner of time, instead of waiting, and waiting, more waiting, and zzzzzzzz....

░▓██████████████░
    ░▒██            ▒██▒░         ▓█████▓                               ░█████▒               ███                   
█████▓░     ██████░   ▒▓████      ██░░░▓█▓                             ▒███▒▓███              ███                     
██        █▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▓▒    ██     ▒█▓    ██                             ███   ▒██▒                                 
▓█      ░█▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓█░  █▓     ▓█▒   ▒█▓  ░████▓    █████   ░█████▓  ██▓    ██▓  ███████▓   ▓██   ▒█████▓   ███████▓
░█░    ░█▓▒▒░░░░░▒ ░▒██  ░█░     ██    ██░  ██  ▓█▒  ██░ ▒█▓  ▓█▓  ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███▒ ▓███  ███  ▒██▓ ▒██▒  ███▒ ▓███
 ██    ██▒░░░▒▒ ░░▒▒▓█▒  ██     ▒█▓    ██  ██   ▒█▒ ▓█░   █▓  ██   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███   ███
 ▒█░ ░▒█▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒█ ░█▒     ▓█░   ▒█▓  ███████  ███████░ ░█▓   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
  ██ ░██▓▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒░░░█░ ██      ██    ██░ ▒█▓░▒░░  ░█▓░▒░░░  ▓█░  ▒█▒  ██▓    ██▓  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
   ██  █▓██▓▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓█▒ ██      ▒█▓   ░██  ██       ▓█░       ██   ██   ███   ▒██▒  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███  ░███
    ██    ▒▓███████▓  ██       ██▒  ▒██   ██  ░██  ▓█░  ██░ ░██  ▓█▓   ▓██▓▒▒███   ███  ░███  ███  ░██▓░▓██▒  ███  ░███
     ██░       ░    ░██        ██████▓    ▒█████   ░█████░  ▓█████▓     ▒█████▓    ███  ░███  ███   ▒█████▒   ███  ░███
      ▒██          ██▒                                      ██                                                   
        ▒██░     ▓██                                       ▒█▓                                                         
          ▓██░ ▓██░                                        ██░                                                         
            ▒██▓
Tor Integrated & Secured
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 04:57:20 PM

So in answer to your questions, yes, something like light wallets. Multibit, Electrum, that kinda stuff (but no web wallets). Or, just a better 'optimized' version of the current wallet; less turtle, more speed. 'Optimized', as from a users experience view: Having access to your funds quickly and being able to execute transactions in a fairly manner of time, instead of waiting, and waiting, more waiting, and zzzzzzzz....

My auroracoin-qt starts up in about 30 seconds.

Don't know how fast it syncs because I have it running constantly.

Of course electrum, multibit are faster: those are light or SPV wallets that don't sync the blockchain.

On mobile I use coinomi multi-coin wallet that has AUR support. Maybe that's suited for your needs?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 08:28:08 PM

On an old netbook of mine (core2 with 1 GB of ram) loading the wallet software takes about 6,5 minutes (I actually had to test that recently). On my i3 system with 4 GB, it loads in what?... 10 seconds at most. Syncing happens in about 1 minute to fetch 2/3 weeks of block chain data.

Most coin wallets I encounter require quite some memory, not sure what happens in that though, but the amount of connections it makes has some influence on it (as I've seen in the past).

For me I can live with that. Both Coinomi and the Hive wallet are light wallets that you can use for speedy' transactions. For both the keys are stored client-side and suitable for day-to-day payments (aka, only load a bit of money on them).
ny2cafuse
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 09:04:10 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2016, 02:15:33 PM by ny2cafuse

Seriously...?

But okay, on topic:
The Digibyte wallet is a crappy one. If you don't know what I mean by that, it might prove kinda difficult to explain, since Auroracoin is using the same core.

So. I'm not having all my wallets opened like 24/7. And most likely, average users won't either. What I was facing with the Digibyte wallet, is that it took quite some time to load. And once loaded, it took another good deal of time hauling all the blocks in, the synchronizing. So, I had to wait, wait, wait some, and wait some more, before I could see what my actual balance was, let alone before I could do anything useful with it. Not to mention the wallet crashes it did lately whilst synchronizing.
If you know what I am talking about, keep reading. If not, kindly someone else from the dev team to pop in please.

Now, before the multi-algo switch the Auroracoin wallet was nice. Loaded average quickly, synchronized nicely, no problems.
Though currently, my experience with the Auroracoin wallet is becoming similar with that of the Digibyte: Long load and synchronizing times. Except for the crashes, I haven't encountered them yet.

So with "optimizing", I mean anything that has overlap in the "speed" / "time" / "waiting" / etc area. I wasn't talking tech savy stuff, but usability. The changeover to multi-algo may have provided a more stable blockchain, but at the cost of having turtle wallet in return.

Yes, seriously.  You ask us what our plans are for optimizing the wallet.  I wanted to know what you meant.  Now that you've actually stated your desires, we can start discussing options.

I just want to mention something here, right now.  Almost all qt wallets are shit when it comes to syncing, mate.  Have you tried to load Bitcoin or Litecoin core from scratch lately?  Hell, even when you let them go for a month or two they take forever, even on the fastest connections.  This load/sync process really hasn't been developed further in the mainstream.  A lot of the reason is because of the creation of lite clients, and the fact that people aren't going to be using core when trying to make a quick transaction.  I think the argument by devs is ultimately why fully uproot the core code, when you can adopt a completely different platform that does it better than the QT code will ever do?  Not that it shouldn't be addressed in the QT wallet eventually, but it's not the biggest priority when alternate wallets are thrown into the mix.

As far as AUR is concerned, there are alternatives.  As BioMike stated, there are current options for quick day to day use, i.e. the Hive wallet and Coinomi.  Maybe an MultibitHD or Electrum wallet would be beneficial to add into the mix, as we already have the electrum servers running for Coinomi.

-Fuse

Community > Devs
LTEX
Legendary

Activity: 1023
Merit: 1000

ltex.nl

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2016, 06:59:25 AM

Hi Jessica,

I think we get your point and I agree that all current QT based wallets suck. I only use them to access my cold-stored funds which is rarely. I think the best way is to compare them to bank vaults. On day to day basis you use online banking (web wallet) to transfer smaller payments. If you are smart though you also hold some physical Gold and Silver for long term investment. To access that, you have to drive to the bank and wait for a clerk to escort you into their vault and open up your case (QT).

We have been primarily focussing on getting our blockchain secure and fast, which has come out quite good I think. We are now busy in setting up a portal for Icelandic merchants and also are creating an improved version of the Hive wallet. This version will have the same (even more) functionality as most popular IOS and Android wallets and is usable on any device (including PC's).

I think you will be happy with the results once we're done. You have to be a bit more patient though, we all had extreme busy times lately and our Foundation members have done exceptional groundwork in Iceland in regards to promotion and networking to attract serious players (large companies and even political parties) into Auroracoin.

A fool will just look at the finger, even if it points to paradise!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 07:21:58 PM

I'm watching the soccer game Iceland vs. England.

go ICELAND! they're leading 2:1. wow!

my money is on Iceland, in 2 ways now Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
LTEX
Legendary

ltex.nl

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2016, 08:24:48 PM

I'm watching the soccer game Iceland vs. England.

go ICELAND! they're leading 2:1. wow!

my money is on Iceland, in 2 ways now Wink

Second Brexit this week?

LTEX
Legendary

ltex.nl

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2016, 08:53:50 PM

Awesome guys! Congrats!!

dinobotta

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 09:00:48 PM

OMG

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 09:01:44 PM

What a game.

Soccer is fun to watch again thanks to this great team!!

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 09:02:40 PM

..was a awesome game!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 70 »
  Print  

Jump to: