Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:12:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 184 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Gulden a good investment?  (Read 250125 times)
pijpenstelen

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 03:08:18 AM

I have no idea about the technical part of Gulden.  When I heard of it, it was pretty clear to me that this was a name-trick.  The Gulden was the former fiat money of The Netherlands, and was in general considered a strong currency (like the Deutsch Mark).  It has been replaced by the Euro, and since many years, the Dutch are becoming more and more Euro-critical.  So a "digital version" of their beloved former Gulden may have a nationalistic and nostalgic appeal.

My impression was that this was the main "value proposition" of the Gulden: to seduce nostaligics into it, as there are quite a bit of them.  But it may be that the Gulden has also really something to offer, apart from sentiment ; I don't know.  But I would be seriously wary about the fact that the name has been chosen to play on a sentimental chord.  

Do you know there is a book out there that list all the currencies that have existed since a certain point in history (is does count a long way back, centuries). The dutch Gulden was actually the one currency that didn't fell in 2000 years, but we gave it away for Euro. Gulden was longest existing currency that didn't go boom and lasted hundreds of years. We will rise again

It was my.main concern when starting to buy Gulden in 2014 that this team do the GULDEN name justice. They have managed to stay going for over 2 years. I like Waterloodown who run development and MaNI who have always been honest in their posts.

1.6.0 will tell a story if they can bring Dutch flare and innovation to crypto. It will also set a standard we can expect for their main Project PRIME that comes after this

▄▄███████████▄▄       
     ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄    
    ████▀             ▀████▄  
  ▄███▀    ▄▄▄████▄▄    ▀████ 
 ▐███     ██████████▀     ███▌
 ███▌    ██████▀▀        ▄███▌
▐███    ▐████▄      ▄▄▄██████▌
▐███▌  ▄████████▄▄██████████▀
 ████████▀█████████████▀▀▀    
  ████▌    ▀▀██████▀▀      ▄▄
   ▀████▄              ▄▄████▌
     ▀█████▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██████▀▀
       ▀▀██████████████▀▀     
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀           
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████   READ OUR WHITEPAPER   ██████████
CREATE YOUR DECENTRALIZED LIFE
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

▄▄███████████▄▄       
     ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄    
    ████▀             ▀████▄  
  ▄███▀    ▄▄▄████▄▄    ▀████ 
 ▐███     ██████████▀     ███▌
 ███▌    ██████▀▀        ▄███▌
▐███    ▐████▄      ▄▄▄██████▌
▐███▌  ▄████████▄▄██████████▀
 ████████▀█████████████▀▀▀    
  ████▌    ▀▀██████▀▀      ▄▄
   ▀████▄              ▄▄████▌
     ▀█████▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██████▀▀
       ▀▀██████████████▀▀     
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀           

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 03:45:28 AM

I have no idea about the technical part of Gulden.  When I heard of it, it was pretty clear to me that this was a name-trick.  The Gulden was the former fiat money of The Netherlands, and was in general considered a strong currency (like the Deutsch Mark).  It has been replaced by the Euro, and since many years, the Dutch are becoming more and more Euro-critical.  So a "digital version" of their beloved former Gulden may have a nationalistic and nostalgic appeal.

My impression was that this was the main "value proposition" of the Gulden: to seduce nostaligics into it, as there are quite a bit of them.  But it may be that the Gulden has also really something to offer, apart from sentiment ; I don't know.  But I would be seriously wary about the fact that the name has been chosen to play on a sentimental chord.  

Do you know there is a book out there that list all the currencies that have existed since a certain point in history (is does count a long way back, centuries). The dutch Gulden was actually the one currency that didn't fell in 2000 years, but we gave it away for Euro. Gulden was longest existing currency that didn't go boom and lasted hundreds of years. We will rise again

But that is exactly what I wanted to say: it is a name-trick.  The crypto currency "gulden" has NOTHING to do with the Dutch Gulden, apart from that name.  If you would have called it "crypto789" then it wouldn't exist.  It exists because of the name, and that's essentially it.  That was my point.

It is exactly because of the strong rooting of the Gulden in Dutch history that it plays on the sensible nostalgic strings of many a Dutchman (and woman) with this name, and that if it were called crypto789, it would not even exist.  The crypto Gulden has simply nothing to do with the historical Dutch Gulden.

In the same way I could make a coin which is called DeutchMarkcoin or something, or I could call it Luthercoin or Calvincoin or whatever, to play on an emotional string.  It wouldn't even have to have a block chain, just IOU tokens on an exchange.
TamiLee

Activity: 637
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 04:33:11 AM

But that is exactly what I wanted to say: it is a name-trick.  The crypto currency "gulden" has NOTHING to do with the Dutch Gulden, apart from that name.  If you would have called it "crypto789" then it wouldn't exist.  It exists because of the name, and that's essentially it.  That was my point.

It is exactly because of the strong rooting of the Gulden in Dutch history that it plays on the sensible nostalgic strings of many a Dutchman (and woman) with this name, and that if it were called crypto789, it would not even exist.  The crypto Gulden has simply nothing to do with the historical Dutch Gulden.

In the same way I could make a coin which is called DeutchMarkcoin or something, or I could call it Luthercoin or Calvincoin or whatever, to play on an emotional string.  It wouldn't even have to have a block chain, just IOU tokens on an exchange.

Emotional strings is not working out very well for other country coins with same name was previous currency. A name can only get you so far.

Before every negative poster makes themselves look foolish, lets see what they do for 1.6.0 and then we talk again?
dinofelis

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 04:54:39 AM

Emotional strings is not working out very well for other country coins with same name was previous currency. A name can only get you so far.

But that is exactly because the Gulden had such strong resonance, while, say, the French frank, or the Spanish peseta had much, much less emotional significance.

BTW, there ARE no "country coins".  There are crypto coins which have the NAME of countries of fiat denominations.  But that doesn't mean they have anything to do with that currency or with that country.  That's the whole point !  This is nothing but a kind of scam to attach the name of a country or a (former) fiat denomination to a crypto.  Gulden has just as much to do with the Netherlands or with their former fiat, as Jupitercoin has to do with the planet Jupiter.

Before every negative poster makes themselves look foolish, lets see what they do for 1.6.0 and then we talk again?

As I said, I didn't look into the technicalities of the Gulden.  The "name scam" was to me enough to put me off.  If it has technical merit, then that merit should stand on its own, and any name would do.  The name is too much of a false association trick.  If it is technically sound, then it is a pity to have done this naming scam.
ThDash

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 06:32:50 AM

This all reminds of the early DASH days in 2014/2015 with all the shitty copy cat anonymous coin wannabes hating on it. As a mainstream alternative to Dash I think Gulden is a solid choice.
AndreasK

Activity: 51

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 08:19:42 AM

But that is exactly because the Gulden had such strong resonance, while, say, the French frank, or the Spanish peseta had much, much less emotional significance.

BTW, there ARE no "country coins".  There are crypto coins which have the NAME of countries of fiat denominations.  But that doesn't mean they have anything to do with that currency or with that country.  That's the whole point !  This is nothing but a kind of scam to attach the name of a country or a (former) fiat denomination to a crypto.  Gulden has just as much to do with the Netherlands or with their former fiat, as Jupitercoin has to do with the planet Jupiter.

As I said, I didn't look into the technicalities of the Gulden.  The "name scam" was to me enough to put me off.  If it has technical merit, then that merit should stand on its own, and any name would do.  The name is too much of a false association trick.  If it is technically sound, then it is a pity to have done this naming scam.

A lot of Germans and Belgiums will have no problem supporting the Gulden, this will be a coin for Europe not just the Netherlands. I do agree that it has a emotional connection with people above 40 years old but now the younger generation can get to experience the power of the new Gulden that is being delivered by a new generation.
Johnyloco

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 08:34:51 AM

BTW, there ARE no "country coins".  There are crypto coins which have the NAME of countries of fiat denominations.  But that doesn't mean they have anything to do with that currency or with that country.  That's the whole point !  This is nothing but a kind of scam to attach the name of a country or a (former) fiat denomination to a crypto.  Gulden has just as much to do with the Netherlands or with their former fiat, as Jupitercoin has to do with the planet Jupiter.

As I said, I didn't look into the technicalities of the Gulden.  The "name scam" was to me enough to put me off.  If it has technical merit, then that merit should stand on its own, and any name would do.  The name is too much of a false association trick.  If it is technically sound, then it is a pity to have done this naming scam.

Basically you are just complaining about the name right? Since the technical merits are being build and standing on their own... So basically you're complaining to complain.

Like walking on the street you walk onto Jackie, and you start to complain because he's like super person but you find his name sucks right?

Most of the time when these things happens it's just about being jealous

FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 09:22:36 AM

Did gulden continue to use the Plastic Surgery merchant? I think that I remember reading about that about a year ago..

If they are then they might have some potential to be useful.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
bram_vnl
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 09:57:59 AM

Did gulden continue to use the Plastic Surgery merchant? I think that I remember reading about that about a year ago..

If they are then they might have some potential to be useful.

Yes that is right, but I can't remember the name

look at this http://web.archive.org/web/20141028160314/http://www.guldencoinlinks.nl/betalen.html
dinofelis

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 03:11:27 PM

Basically you are just complaining about the name right?

Yes.  It is too obviously an association that doesn't exist.  It is one of the basic methods in publicity: false associations.  The tobacco industry was famous for it: associating "social success" with smoking.  But almost all publicity does it. 
Luuk

Activity: 142
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 05:06:54 PM

Yes.  It is too obviously an association that doesn't exist.  It is one of the basic methods in publicity: false associations.  The tobacco industry was famous for it: associating "social success" with smoking.  But almost all publicity does it. 

THE GULDEN IS BACK BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S REALLY FUCKING BACK!!!
SuicidalTendencies

Activity: 142

Crowdsale: Saturday, Aug 12, 2017

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 06:13:04 AM

I didn't want to post this in the Gulden Announcement page to avoid bias opinions but wanted to know if Gulden is a safe bet compared to other alt coins. The reason I am asking is I noticed there ranking on coinmarketcap is way below other coins that have nothing going for them or is it that the other alt coins are way over priced?

I hope you invested dude. Litesire one of the posters I respect on btctalk has always said this will be the one to take litecoins place. I never believed it then but I don't know anymore.

Bluestreet
Legendary

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 06:00:28 PM

I am at a loss for words.
Glen Hoddle

Activity: 418
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 06:39:19 PM

Just finding its rightful level. Nothing unusual here. Gulden is still undervalued. The rises will continue over the next few months until 1 NLG is equal to 1 Euro.

It is inevitable
vlom
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 06:47:26 PM

Just finding its rightful level. Nothing unusual here. Gulden is still undervalued. The rises will continue over the next few months until 1 NLG is equal to 1 Euro.

It is inevitable

if this happens then i make the first time real money with crypto. i still have a lot of my 400sats coins. now i will hold and wait and wait and wait. i have nothing to lose with nlg.
Johnyloco

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 07:19:24 PM

Yes.  It is too obviously an association that doesn't exist.  It is one of the basic methods in publicity: false associations.  The tobacco industry was famous for it: associating "social success" with smoking.  But almost all publicity does it.  

It's obviously a association that is very logical since the Dutch invented the modern stock market (that will be replaced by blockchain Roll Eyes

Back in the Dutch golden age, ships would sail around the world which were financed with stocks, since the trips involved a large amount of risk. Sooner or later that time there was this called phenomenon which is very familiar with todays crypto market:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania
blackhawk101

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 07:47:49 PM

Weren't the Dutch also crazy about tulips too? And now they've discovered the blockchain??

BACK UP THE TRUCK!!!
AndreasK

Activity: 51

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 04:37:06 AM

Weren't the Dutch also crazy about tulips too? And now they've discovered the blockchain??

BACK UP THE TRUCK!!!

Deutsche Bank is also having some worries and people will be looking for alternatives. 90% bitcoin and 10% Gulden investment would be what a lot of Germans will do.
dinofelis

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 04:55:06 AM

Yes.  It is too obviously an association that doesn't exist.  It is one of the basic methods in publicity: false associations.  The tobacco industry was famous for it: associating "social success" with smoking.  But almost all publicity does it.  

It's obviously a association that is very logical since the Dutch invented the modern stock market (that will be replaced by blockchain Roll Eyes

Back in the Dutch golden age, ships would sail around the world which were financed with stocks, since the trips involved a large amount of risk. Sooner or later that time there was this called phenomenon which is very familiar with todays crypto market:

Grin

Seriously now.   The point is that a crypto currency that is global, on the internet, has of course nothing to do with the Netherlands, their history, or their former famous fiat money.   For all it matters, it could have been invented by a Chinese living in Brazil, and mainly gambled on by Singaporean business people.   A Russian guy could invent SwissFrancCoin if he wanted to.  That doesn't give to his crypto any of the properties that the Swiss Franc has.

TamiLee

Activity: 637

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 06:51:14 AM

Grin

Seriously now.   The point is that a crypto currency that is global, on the internet, has of course nothing to do with the Netherlands, their history, or their former famous fiat money.   For all it matters, it could have been invented by a Chinese living in Brazil, and mainly gambled on by Singaporean business people.   A Russian guy could invent SwissFrancCoin if he wanted to.  That doesn't give to his crypto any of the properties that the Swiss Franc has.

Fact is, the creators are Dutch and it's a good name. They obviously feel passion about the name and it will inspire them to do good on this name. I have said wait for 1.6.0 to see if they deliver or if it is a mickey mouse release. Time will tell, I will be the first to apologies if 1.6.0 is not of good standard.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 184 »
  Print  

Jump to: