Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:29:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Steemit how can this thing be workable long term?  (Read 32319 times)
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 11:29:26 PM

I was a bit rushed, so hopefully there aren't major mistakes:

https://steemit.com/steemit/@anonymint/improving-steem-s-rankings-to-cater-to-diverse-content-preferences

I really didn't spend any time thinking about game theory attacks on this. I'll be thinking now and possibly editing it.

Editing for errors or clarity is good (be aware that editing after payout is currently disabled), but I would suggest that follow-on topics like game theory attacks be new posts. That not only will likely earn you more but it is more friendly to the reader who doesn't need to go back to already-read posts and read edits.

When does payout occur? Do I have to elect it?

24hrs after posting.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 12:36:37 AM

https://steemit.com/steemit/@anonymint/improving-steem-s-rankings-to-cater-to-diverse-content-preferences

I really didn't spend any time thinking about game theory attacks on this. I'll be thinking now and possibly editing it.

Editing for errors or clarity is good (be aware that editing after payout is currently disabled), but I would suggest that follow-on topics like game theory attacks be new posts. That not only will likely earn you more but it is more friendly to the reader who doesn't need to go back to already-read posts and read edits.

24hrs after posting.

24 hours after post or when activity stops, whichever is later (yes there are rules to prevent trivial activity from delaying payout indefinitely).

AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 12:42:48 AM

Aha... nice.

What happens if someone upvotes, say, a two week post? Does the author get paid for it, or payments finalize when activity stops and payment goes out?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 12:45:34 AM

Aha... nice.

What happens if someone upvotes, say, a two week post? Does the author get paid for it, or payments finalize when activity stops and payment goes out?

Upvotes after payment start a new 24+ hour cycle. Voters are not rewarded after the first payout, but authors are.
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 12:47:48 AM

Aha... nice.

Upvotes after payment start a new 24+ hour cycle. Voters are not rewarded after the first payout, but authors are.

Thanks for clarifying that.
cryptoadoption15

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 01:33:12 AM

It remains to be seen if Steemit can attract new users from outside of crypto once the initial large payments for posting content decreases.
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 01:40:12 AM

24hrs after posting.

24 hours after post or when activity stops, whichever is later (yes there are rules to prevent trivial activity from delaying payout indefinitely).

Can you more precisely define 'activity'? Does it include new comments or just new votes?

Does your knowledge come from studying the source code or asking questions to key people?
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 02:59:28 AM

Can you more precisely define 'activity'? Does it include new comments or just new votes?

I would think that activity in that context refers to votes, because comments don't drectly affect how much a post gets paid but votes do.

In my limited posting experience (3 or 4 posts), I have received an initial payment approximately 24 hours later for each.

Congrats by the way Anonymint.. you made way more in one post than I have in 4 combined.

I guess the whales don't find my posts valuable/interesting. Which is funny, because I pretty much wrote them a guide as to how they can save $26 million a year. https://steemit.com/sip/@coinhoarder/steem-proposal-abolishing-liquidity-incentives-and-reverting-the-funds-to-provide-actual-autonomous-liquidity
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 04:24:49 AM

24hrs after posting.

IIRC votes, but I'm not positive.

Does your knowledge come from studying the source code or asking questions to key people?

Both, but in this particular case I haven't studied the source code for this, especially not since it has been modified a few times (I reviewed most of the Steem-specific portions of the code during the early mining period). My answer in this specific case comes mostly comes from remembering one the release notes or announcement for some version that modified the behavior.

iamnotback

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 07:05:55 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2016, 07:55:47 AM by iamnotback

Congrats by the way Anonymint.. you made way more in one post than I have in 4 combined.

I guess the whales don't find my posts valuable/interesting. Which is funny, because I pretty much wrote them a guide as to how they can save $26 million a year. https://steemit.com/sip/@coinhoarder/steem-proposal-abolishing-liquidity-incentives-and-reverting-the-funds-to-provide-actual-autonomous-liquidity

Thank you. Well my proposal is an attempt to balance out the rewards a bit better towards relevance. And I will continue to think of ways to perhaps improve the meritocracy of rewards while also recognizing their marketing plan must incorporate some aspect of miscalculation (starstuck) by n00bs of the payouts they will obtain on average. My stickiness blog will be about how to string them along to keep them active to transition them into other motivations for remaining an active user, but it will actually make them feel good and remove some of the disappointment (so we are loving them). Wink With social networking we have game all the possible ways to keep them motivated and emotional psychology is as or more important than rational consciousness.

P.S. my high payout can be attributable to a) refinement including images added, the reasonably well written concise text, and the follow-up in the comments; and b) that it is perceived by getting me invested in SP then I am more likely to contribute ongoing and the perception that I might have other valuable things in my back pocket to bring to the ecosystem. And I do believe this is a correct calculation on the part of smooth and Ned. Hopefully other whales too. Btw, I noticed dana-edwards copied some of my text from the Ethereum Paradox thread and earned herself $1000 on a blog. He/She did fill in a lot of other text though. We must accept the reality that no matter what we think of the future potential of Steem, the reality is that the whales are in the driver's seat for the time being.

Edit: also the timeliness of my post just after the $26,000 payout for doing makeup and the concern that raised in the community. Strategy also must include timing. I am of course playing it like a strategy game, because that is how I can learn the most about it, as that is what others are/should be doing also.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 08:12:33 AM

They are having serious scaling issues with the servers for Steemit, as evident by the frequent failed loading of pages. They are using nginx so it probably isn't the webserver s/w choice and is probably either their load balancing cluster design and/or DDoS attacks. Does anyone know?

They can afford the expertise they need, so hopefully they will get this rectified asap.

Remember I wrote many days ago, that it would only be a 14X gain to reach Reddit's $4 billion marketcap, which Ethereum did during its run up earlier this year. I am leaning towards the price will go much higher given the progress made on improving flaws, but this is also dependent on them resolving asap these scaling glitches and also implementing improvements asap as well.

I am still not yet convinced about the risk of holding for 2 years the SP. The long-term funding model and transitioning the usership to motivations other than earning a living from blogging is a complex analysis that I need to think about a lot more in detail.

I am also trying to figure out what this experiment has taught us about the world. Are that many people hurting for cash flow (is underemployment that bad)? Or is the primarily motivation a social one to be part of something new and unique?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 08:28:01 AM

They are having serious scaling issues with the servers for Steemit, as evident by the frequent failed loading of pages. They are using nginx so it probably isn't the webserver s/w choice and is probably either their load balancing cluster design and/or DDoS attacks. Does anyone know?

DDoS. They are in the process of improving countermeasures.

I don't know enough about their web back end to say whether there are scaling issues as well.

I am still not yet convinced about the risk of holding for 2 years the SP. The long-term funding model and transitioning the usership to motivations other than earning a living from blogging is a complex analysis that I need to think about a lot more in detail.

Bear in mind the average holding period is one year, not two.

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2016, 08:43:22 AM

I just took a gander into your account smooth...You've been there for a while...did you create account programmatically and have them watch against main content to vote with yourself?  I've seen that some posts gain the equiv. of 4K dollars with a few hundred votes and others that have thousands of votes with the same amount, I see that there are a few accounts, smooth-a, smooth.witness that each have millions reserved in steempower.  Doesn't that mean that you can just post content, then use those alts to upvote it and essentially print free money?  Also, they'll look at hot or trending for the upward gain in price then sort of propel themselves if upvoting some reasonably good content? 

noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 08:48:16 AM

I just took a gander into your account smooth...You've been there for a while...did you create account programmatically and have them watch against main content to vote with yourself?  I've seen that some posts gain the equiv. of 4K dollars with a few hundred votes and others that have thousands of votes with the same amount, I see that there are a few accounts, smooth-a, smooth.witness that each have millions reserved in steempower.  Doesn't that mean that you can just post content, then use those alts to upvote it and essentially print free money?  Also, they'll look at hot or trending for the upward gain in price then sort of propel themselves if upvoting some reasonably good content? 

LOL

nice observation  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 08:49:58 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2016, 09:03:52 AM by smooth

Breaking up steem between different accounts is actually a disadvantage in terms of voting (only a small one given the current rules though, used to be bigger). It offers no advantages.

Most of my different accounts serve no real purpose at this point. During initial mining it was necessary to have multiple accounts. The witness account runs the witness node, which I wanted to have different keys since they have to be hot, so I broke that one off from my main account completely.

iamnotback

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 08:35:59 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2016, 09:12:03 PM by iamnotback

DDoS. They are in the process of improving countermeasures.

I don't know enough about their web back end to say whether there are scaling issues as well.

Bear in mind the average holding period is one year, not two.

Good point on weighted average holding period being half, due to the 104 weekly equalized withdrawals allowed. Btw, I glanced at your wallet, and saw the recent withdrawals afair ~$10K (you probably had more that week but I didn't scroll). Cha-ching. Wink

DDoS is one thing I am concerned about with a centralized website. A truly decentralized social network wouldn't be susceptible to it, but no one has yet shown a truly decentralized social network can actually work well and be popular.

I hope they can get the reliability resolved asap. We were at the mall tonight and we mentioned Steemit and the salesladies' and salesmen's eyes seemed to light up. Some of them said they were going to check it out. So it might go viral at least in terms of signups, but I don't yet know about the stickiness of which I am skeptical (and have some ideas to suggest for improvement).

We were at the videoeke tonight to record some videos, so that my gf can have a blog post on Steemit. I am hoping if she earns some money, she will stop feeling hopeless about me being on the computer so much with no results to show for it. She still doesn't believe I will actually get the money I've apparently earned for my blog post. The salesladies at the mall seemed less skeptical. Perhaps it is because my gf comes from the rural province and is less risk taking and has less work experience. Apparently she talked with the salesladies and they said they could line her up with a job at the big mall, so that would be good so I will have more silent time during the day to do programming. As it is now, I have to stay up all night when she is sleeping because normal people don't understand that programming requires complete silence and focus and being interrupted every hour destroys momentum (well at least it is that way for me although I did work in cubicles at Fractal Design Corp on Painter, it wasn't my preferred work environment).

She had no high heels so we had to stop by the mall to purchase some. Y'all are going to be able to see my ugly old fart ass dancing crazy and singing Scorpions on stage, lol. I've got to find someone to compile video segments for me, because I don't have the time to go on that tangent (and actually haven't done video editing before). We've got a "Hello Steemit, Welcome to the Philippines" which sort of reminds me of "Girls Gone Wild" or "Wild on E!" greeting. Probably end up earning nothing on the video because so many of them now, but my gf has some assets and also a reasonably good singer (but not sure if the camera on the mobile phone captured it that well). As bad as my singing is, it was much worse in 2014 and 2015. All of my facilities are improving as my chronic immune disease abates somewhat. I've got a long way to go with my health though. My body looks better (you'll see it on the video), but just look at my eyes to see that I am still sick (but much improved).

Perhaps I made an interesting insight on the voting game theory:

https://steemit.com/steemit/@anonymint/improving-steem-s-rankings-to-cater-to-diverse-content-preferences#@anonymint/re-biophil-re-anonymint-improving-steem-s-rankings-to-cater-to-diverse-content-preferences-20160718t201929410z

P.S. my gf observed that I was able to whip up a 3D layout for mini-restaurant we proposed to open close by (for my gf to have a small business, which btw was denied because the site owner's wife was jealous so we abandoned that plan) and she asks me why I don't go take a job doing 3D home design. I tried to explain to her that my skill level is higher and more lucrative in programming. She doesn't understand, because from her perspective I "work" all the time and earn 0. Also explained to her that I am too old to ever become savings stable for retirement at some mediocre salary. I either have to hit a home run, else I am going to be destitute in my old age. I don't have healthy enough eyes for another methodical 10 years of working on a computer. I am thinking I have perhaps a couple or three years of intense work on my one eye and after that maybe 4 hours daily maximum. I realize I am reaching the trailing end of what my body can do on the computer (I'll be able to do outdoors work no problem but that doesn't pay well unless I have capital to invest). I tried to explain to her that foruming isn't paid work and that recovering from my illness was probably a prerequisite to doing the sort of "work" that would actually generate income. I have a really difficult situation trying to battle a chronic illness at same time trying to do something project wise which outstrips my man-hour resources (even if I was 100% healthy). I have to put a lot of effort, energy, and time into intense exercising (up to 4 hours daily) and sleep (really need 10+ daily), as that is critical to my health improvement. Any way, I think I am getting into a better pattern this past month or so.
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 09:08:50 PM

Steem is changing lives as we speak Cheesy

I'm not in favor of steem-pumping, or crypto-pumping in general, but we are in a time window right now where content is low in quantity and thus rewards that were meant for a larger audience are split to a smaller one - being quite good for existing members that manage to attract whale voting.

Smart contract and ethereum bubble discussion pales so much in comparison to what steem does, because steem has RELEVANCE to people, unlike "smart contracts".

"What is steem?" => "You post and make money"
"What is ethereum?" => "Smart contracts" => "What's that?" => (discussion becomes too technical)

Now what steem has to do is to solve its issues, simplify some stuff and then take off. The fundamentals (due to its nature) are by definition stronger than other crypto projects due to mass appeal and much bigger network effect that it can have.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 09:16:11 PM

AlexGR, I think I still have a better design for a DAO that will rock the investment world.

Personally my problem is I have so many designs and so little resources to code them. Nevertheless I wouldn't entirely dismiss smart contracts.

There is so much opportunity right now. My head is spinning. I am trying to figure out how to best align myself to get the most accomplished. For the moment, I want to do some more analysis and posting on Steemit, to try to work through determining what is possible in that direction. There are so many details to contemplate.

Also given all opportunity cost being otherwise equal, we should prioritize the opportunity that is, not the one that could be.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 09:29:19 PM

"What is ethereum?" => "Smart contracts" => "What's that?" => (discussion becomes too technical)

Money shot

Steem is the first crypto that you can actually sell, at all, to regular people. Not saying everyone will be interested but the percentage is much, much higher than anything else, including Bitcoin (which most people respond with "I have dollars, why do I need or would I want Bitcoins?")
Macno
Legendary

Activity: 984
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 09:42:33 PM

Money shot

Steem is the first crypto that you can actually sell, at all, to regular people. Not saying everyone will be interested but the percentage is much, much higher than anything else, including Bitcoin (which most people respond with "I have dollars, why do I need or would I want Bitcoins?")

This.

So the more Steem Power you have, the higher your own posts are trending? Is that correct?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: