May 04, 2024, 01:43:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 11396 11397 11398 11399 11400 11401 11402 11403 11404 11405 11406 11407 11408 11409 11410 11411 11412 11413 11414 11415 11416 11417 11418 11419 11420 11421 11422 11423 11424 11425 11426 11427 11428 11429 11430 11431 11432 11433 11434 11435 11436 11437 11438 11439 11440 11441 11442 11443 11444 11445 [11446] 11447 11448 11449 11450 11451 11452 11453 11454 11455 11456 11457 11458 11459 11460 11461 11462 11463 11464 11465 11466 11467 11468 11469 11470 11471 11472 11473 11474 11475 11476 11477 11478 11479 11480 11481 11482 11483 11484 11485 11486 11487 11488 11489 11490 11491 11492 11493 11494 11495 11496 ... 33322 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371952 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
KryptoFoo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 05:55:52 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2015, 06:12:22 PM by KryptoFoo

chunky bid at finex to start the show.

update: aaaand it's gone. Show is delayed  Huh
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 05:59:23 PM

Coin
Explanation
Ezmoneyezlife

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 05:59:56 PM

wow look at the price ....

do we have a liftoff Huh
Nope, we just have another fake pump based on rumors before a major post auction dump, nothing special.
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:13:11 PM

You're going on a bit of detour there, doc Smiley

I already mentioned several of your points (e.g. that mining is based on the "currently best know procedure", not the provably optimal procedure).

And I know of course you're not facetious about the (lack of) intrinsic value of bitcoins, but you probably were facetious when you were asking what their weight is...

Good point about quantum computing possibly getting around the  (Landauer) limit though. Well outside my field though, so I can only wonder if it'd simply lower the limit, or entirely remove it possibly.

It's just the kind of specious FUD that people have to resort to when the price is rising. I think that's a good indicator of reversal, where suddenly the narrative shifts to grasping at straws on bizarre misguided technical grounds that are akin to arguing "well what if somebody invents free energy?'.
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:20:33 PM

Likely unsustainable. I wouldn't bet on this going anywhere but down in short term (1week)
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:21:13 PM

Moreover, no one really knows how hard it is to compute a valid block.  The trial-and-error method used by miners is just the most efficient method that we know; but there is no proof or other evidence that there is no better way.

Would you consider the fact that nobody has ever found a collision of sha256 function an evidence? There's no mathematical proof, but there's more then enough evidence that any other method is not even on the horizon. It's not only a Bitcoin issue, if any of modern hash algorithms would be compromised the whole cryptography would be hammered.

I believe is is proved (perhaps, I haven't checked) that the output values of SHA256 span all possible 256-bit strings or at least a very large subset of them (say, 2^200 strings).  On the other hand, it is obvious that, if the inputs are 1000-bit strings, no mater how SHA256 is used there will be 2^(1000-256) = 2^744 input strings that have exactly the same hash.

Having a large output set is the very minimum requirement for a hash function.  However, even stupid functions like "take the first 256 bits of the input" will have that property.  If a function has that property, it will pass the simple collision test "generate N random input strings, compute their hashes, and look for duplicates".  That is because N must be MUCH smaller than 2^256, so the chance of catching a collision is small -- if N = 2^56 = 72 quadrillion, the chance of finding a collision (that certainly exists, if the input has more than 256 bits) is only 1 in 2^200.

SHA256 has passed much more interesting tests, like "take N random texts, make M slighlty modified copies of each, compute their hashes, and look for duplicates".  But, again, many simple functions pass this test too.  (These functions may still be good checksums, suitable to detect non-malicious changes in files; or in hash tables, where malicious inputs are not expected.)

The property that makes a function be a good cryptographic hash function is: "there is no algorithm that, given a text X, will find another text Y with the same hash as X in a viable amount of time". That property has not been proved, because there is no theory that would enable such proofs; and cannot be tested,  because it would require trying all possible algorithms, and then testing each one to see whether it works.  All that can be said is that many smart people have tried to find such an algorithm, and no one has succeeded (that we know of).
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:26:21 PM

You're going on a bit of detour there, doc Smiley

I already mentioned several of your points (e.g. that mining is based on the "currently best know procedure", not the provably optimal procedure).

And I know of course you're not facetious about the (lack of) intrinsic value of bitcoins, but you probably were facetious when you were asking what their weight is...

Good point about quantum computing possibly getting around the  (Landauer) limit though. Well outside my field though, so I can only wonder if it'd simply lower the limit, or entirely remove it possibly.

It's just the kind of specious FUD that people have to resort to when the price is rising. I think that's a good indicator of reversal, where suddenly the narrative shifts to grasping at straws on bizarre misguided technical grounds that are akin to arguing "well what if somebody invents free energy?'.

It is JorgeStolfi being back to his normal trolling mode. How easy it would it be for him if he used his capacity to read just a bit, and to let the arguments presented here sink in, then either accept them or build on them.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:27:16 PM

(Before you scream "21 million": that bitcoin limit is "guaranteed" only by  fuzzy arguments about a complicated economic game, not "by math", and could be changed if the right players agreed to it.  Moreover, any kid can duplicate the amount of bitcoins in existence by creating a hard fork of the blockchain and starting to mine it on his laptotp.  Anyone who has bitcoins will gain an equal amount of those "series B" bitcoins, accessible through the same private keys, and could trade them independently of his old bitcoins by duplicating his wallet and downloading the kids's client software. Whether those "series B" bitcoins will get a significant market value is a market(ing) question, not a technical one.  And, of course, there are the altcoins.)

You're describing a double spend attack, right?

No, I am describing a hard fork.

It does not interfere with the original chain directly, simply creates another clone, premined and "pre-transacted" to hae the same addresses, private keys, UTXOS, and everything as the original chain.  All it can do is steal value from the original bitcoins, if for some reason people prefer to spend their dollars on "series B" bitcoins rather than original ones.
dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:30:00 PM

(Before you scream "21 million": that bitcoin limit is "guaranteed" only by  fuzzy arguments about a complicated economic game, not "by math", and could be changed if the right players agreed to it.  Moreover, any kid can duplicate the amount of bitcoins in existence by creating a hard fork of the blockchain and starting to mine it on his laptotp.  Anyone who has bitcoins will gain an equal amount of those "series B" bitcoins, accessible through the same private keys, and could trade them independently of his old bitcoins by duplicating his wallet and downloading the kids's client software. Whether those "series B" bitcoins will get a significant market value is a market(ing) question, not a technical one.  And, of course, there are the altcoins.)

It does not interfere with the original chain directly, simply creates another clone, premined and "pre-transacted" to hae the same addresses, private keys, UTXOS, and everything as the original chain.  All it can do is steal value from the original bitcoins, if for some reason people prefer to spend their dollars on "series B" bitcoins rather than original ones.

What tosh. Who would spend their dollars on series B bitcoin, what scenario do you envisage where someone would be tricked into buying from a second chain.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:30:50 PM

Bears getting nervous.

Price not falling!!!?!

Tarmi are you currently in or out of bitcoin? Bleating suggests you were expecting falls from 237..

inca
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:32:00 PM

It does not interfere with the original chain directly, simply creates another clone, premined and "pre-transacted" to hae the same addresses, private keys, UTXOS, and everything as the original chain.  All it can do is steal value from the original bitcoins, if for some reason people prefer to spend their dollars on "series B" bitcoins rather than original ones.

What tosh. Who would spend their dollars on series B bitcoin, what scenario do you envisage where someone would be tricked into buying from a second chain.

Exactly. Who the hell will value stolfi coin?

Edit: there are hundreds upon hundreds of ALTs..but only one bitcoin!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 06:32:27 PM

(Before you scream "21 million": that bitcoin limit is "guaranteed" only by  fuzzy arguments about a complicated economic game, not "by math", and could be changed if the right players agreed to it.  Moreover, any kid can duplicate the amount of bitcoins in existence by creating a hard fork of the blockchain and starting to mine it on his laptotp.  Anyone who has bitcoins will gain an equal amount of those "series B" bitcoins, accessible through the same private keys, and could trade them independently of his old bitcoins by duplicating his wallet and downloading the kids's client software. Whether those "series B" bitcoins will get a significant market value is a market(ing) question, not a technical one.  And, of course, there are the altcoins.)

Perhaps you should tell people that it's not likely to be some kid on his laptop to do this fork but more likely to be a more sensible version of the Bitcoin "Foundation" a few years down the road.
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:34:08 PM

It does not interfere with the original chain directly, simply creates another clone, premined and "pre-transacted" to hae the same addresses, private keys, UTXOS, and everything as the original chain.  All it can do is steal value from the original bitcoins, if for some reason people prefer to spend their dollars on "series B" bitcoins rather than original ones.

does stolfi actually try and successfully do that ?

btw i just sold  and price keep rising awww...
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:35:46 PM

And as everyone here knows, the topic has been discussed here ad "killing me softly with his song"-um. He puts out an argument, then draws the curtain, until a few days later, where he repeats the same thing.

JorgeStolfi

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:37:23 PM

Who would spend their dollars on series B bitcoin, what scenario do you envisage where someone would be tricked into buying from a second chain.

The "series B" chain could fork from the main chain a block that was posted on Jan 2013, before (hopefully) the MtGOX heist.  Transacting on that chain would be like traveling back in time and doing whatever one wants with one's coins from that point on.  I am not saying that such an "advantage" would be enough to steal a significant portion of the "series A" market cap, but it is one thing that could attract users to the "series B" chain.
inca
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:42:09 PM

Tempted to ignore you stolfi. For a professor that is pretty stupid.

If memory serves there is at least one exact copycat of bitcoin. A different chain. Guess what - worth nothing.
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:45:09 PM

Tarmi are you currently in or out of bitcoin? Bleating suggests you were expecting falls from 237..

selling like a mofo.

I know it could go higher but I dont give a fuck.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:47:01 PM

If memory serves there is at least one exact copycat of bitcoin. A different chain.

Are you thinking of same protocol but totally different chain? I.e. a "radical" hard fork that starts before the Genesis block? That is possible too.

Guess what - worth nothing.

But that is not "guaranteed by math".  Litecoin, Dogecoin, and several other altcoins still have value, 18 months(?) after theyr were supposed to be dead...
dsly

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:49:31 PM

Enough of Stolfi Tongue
WHat do you guys think is the reason behind the rise that has been happening in the past 2 days ?
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:53:34 PM

a) Many, if not most, of the proposed financial functions to be performed on/through/linked to the Blockchain require a high amount of security from sybil or time warp attacks. This security is provided in the form of total hashpower that can be assumed to be honest (an assumption that is based on economical incentive, so it's a rather safe one).

Your 'Series B' blockchain is either indistinguishable from the original one, in which case it doesn't divert any value, or, if it is in any way distinguishable, it will be ignored by the majority of miners, so it cannot fulfill the above security critical functions.

b) The other argument, "potentially unbounded no. of total coins through alts" is a better one, I personally think... I don't think this vector can be completely ruled out in the long run.

However, it ignores one aspect: the people who want to use a decentralized network as a store of value will have little interest to store value in an alternative network that offers no improvement over the original in the following two crucial points: security, and stability of value/price.

For the 'security through hashpower' part, the original Blockchain is leading, by orders of magnitude. Stability of value obviously isn't there yet. Then again, show me an altcoin that is less volatile than Bitcoin (while at least having some of the liquidity of the total Bitcoin market) and I'll start worrying Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 11396 11397 11398 11399 11400 11401 11402 11403 11404 11405 11406 11407 11408 11409 11410 11411 11412 11413 11414 11415 11416 11417 11418 11419 11420 11421 11422 11423 11424 11425 11426 11427 11428 11429 11430 11431 11432 11433 11434 11435 11436 11437 11438 11439 11440 11441 11442 11443 11444 11445 [11446] 11447 11448 11449 11450 11451 11452 11453 11454 11455 11456 11457 11458 11459 11460 11461 11462 11463 11464 11465 11466 11467 11468 11469 11470 11471 11472 11473 11474 11475 11476 11477 11478 11479 11480 11481 11482 11483 11484 11485 11486 11487 11488 11489 11490 11491 11492 11493 11494 11495 11496 ... 33322 »
  Print  

Jump to: