May 04, 2024, 11:39:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14467 14468 14469 14470 14471 14472 14473 14474 14475 14476 14477 14478 14479 14480 14481 14482 14483 14484 14485 14486 14487 14488 14489 14490 14491 14492 14493 14494 14495 14496 14497 14498 14499 14500 14501 14502 14503 14504 14505 14506 14507 14508 14509 14510 14511 14512 14513 14514 14515 14516 [14517] 14518 14519 14520 14521 14522 14523 14524 14525 14526 14527 14528 14529 14530 14531 14532 14533 14534 14535 14536 14537 14538 14539 14540 14541 14542 14543 14544 14545 14546 14547 14548 14549 14550 14551 14552 14553 14554 14555 14556 14557 14558 14559 14560 14561 14562 14563 14564 14565 14566 14567 ... 33321 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371904 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 03:13:49 AM

gave birth to Blockstream and their plan to sacrifice bitcoin's original goal to the spurious goal of inflating the price, and more...

Isn't this right?

it’s possible to construct a transaction that takes up almost 1MB of space and which takes 30 seconds or more to validate on a modern computer (blocks containing such transactions have been mined). In 2MB blocks, a 2MB transaction can be constructed that may take over 10 minutes to validate which opens up dangerous denial-of-service attack vectors. Other lines of code would need to be changed to prevent these problems.

sauce
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 03:21:58 AM

^I was sure it'd be NLC to mine that nugget. Cheesy
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 03:29:39 AM

Nothing is going to stay in some fixed microcosm when it is projected to grow. Satoshi himself said that Bitcoin was going to be big or nothing, so there was no vision that Bitcoin would remain some niche experiment as it, of course, had to start out small before it could become bigger.

Again: once, while discussing future user base growth, Satoshi considered 20% per year (doubling every 4 years) a "crazy" rate of growth.  That would be consistent with his chosen block reward schedule (halving every four years).  With a "non-crazy" growth rate of less than 20%/year, the USD value of the block reward would have deceased with time, forcing the system to transition gradually to fees.

Surely he was too smart to risk actual predictions, but on the other hand he cannot have expected the price to rise by a factor of 10 every year for 5 years.  So the USD value of the block reward too increased by almost he same factor, instead of decreasing as he may have expected.

The price rose so fast because of speculative investment and trading, fueled by predictions that it would one day replace VISA.  That surely is a use for bitcoin that he did not expect.  If there is something that the world did not need in 2009, and will never need, is another penny stock.  He would not have bothered creating bitcoin, if he knew that it would turn into that.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 03:38:55 AM

it’s possible to construct a transaction that takes up almost 1MB of space and which takes 30 seconds or more to validate on a modern computer (blocks containing such transactions have been mined). In 2MB blocks, a 2MB transaction can be constructed that may take over 10 minutes to validate which opens up dangerous denial-of-service attack vectors. Other lines of code would need to be changed to prevent these problems.

sauce

This is a known protocol design bug: signatures were defined in such a way that the cost of validating a transaction with N signatures is proportional to N2 rather than N. 

It has a known simple solution: limit the number of inputs of a transaction to some reasonable value, say 20 or 100, independent of the block size limit.  That will keep the cost of verifying one transaction bounded, and will inconvenience only a few users, by forcing them to break any big transaction into a chain of smaller ones.

IIRC, BiotcoinXT included this simple solution.  Hopefully it will be included in Classic too. 
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 03:41:37 AM

sauce

This is a known protocol design bug: signatures were defined in such a way that the cost of validating a transaction with N signatures is proportional to N2 rather than N. 

It has a known simple solution: limit the number of inputs of a transaction to some reasonable value, say 20 or 100, independent of the block size limit.  That will keep the cost of verifying one transaction bounded, and will inconvenience only a few users, by forcing them to break any big transaction into a chain of smaller ones.

IIRC, BiotcoinXT included this simple solution.  Hopefully it will be included in Classic too. 

Most of that is Greek to me. How would a sharp Core supporter respond?
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 03:47:24 AM

... This week in Stolfi's utopia.

In the grand experiment of Bitcoin, one involving a large number of human participants and for a variety of reasons... expecting only the right people being involved for the right reasons is ridiculous.

A tool has been created. What the tool enables, where that leads, and how, is up for history to decide. I doubt Satoshi was ignorant of this fact when he released it into the wild.

I'm sure his conscience will have an easier go of it than Oppenheimer's.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:02:27 AM

Coin

Explanation
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:04:53 AM

It has a known simple solution: limit the number of inputs of a transaction to some reasonable value, say 20 or 100, independent of the block size limit.  That will keep the cost of verifying one transaction bounded

Most of that is Greek to me. How would a sharp Core supporter respond?

Oops, it is actually worse than N2, apparently

Trying again: There is a complicated transaction that barely fits in a 1 MB block, that takes 30 seconds to validate.  Someone built a transaction twice as big, filling a 2 MB block, that takes twenty times as long (600 seconds; not just twice as long (60 seconds) as one would expect.

Right now there is no limit to the complexity of one transaction, except that the whole transaction must fit in a 1 MB block.  If the block size limit is increased, then one could issue the more complicated transactions like the one above, probably causing problems for miners.

But there is a known simple solution that (AFAIK) was used in BitcoinXT and/or BIP101.

JorgeStolfi

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:19:35 AM

... This week in Stolfi's utopia.

In the grand experiment of Bitcoin, one involving a large number of human participants and for a variety of reasons... expecting only the right people being involved for the right reasons is ridiculous.

A tool has been created. What the tool enables, where that leads, and how, is up for history to decide. I doubt Satoshi was ignorant of this fact when he released it into the wild.

What attracted the scammers and snake oil peddlers was the money.  The big ones came in early 2013, it seems, although Hal Finney is said to have predicted that twist already in 2009.  IIRC, Satoshi reacted has if he had not given it much thought.

Satoshi's basic mistake was to make the currency non-inflationary.  It is forgivable, since he was a computer type and not an economist.  I would have made the same mistake. Inflation is bad, of course -- everybody knows that, right?

Satoshi's disappeared six months after Jed McCaleb repurposed MtGOX to be a bitcoin exchange, and 3-4 months before it was sold to Mark. Maybe Satoshi saw the future when MtGOX started to attract speculators.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:23:30 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2016, 04:36:13 AM by smooth

Nothing is going to stay in some fixed microcosm when it is projected to grow. Satoshi himself said that Bitcoin was going to be big or nothing, so there was no vision that Bitcoin would remain some niche experiment as it, of course, had to start out small before it could become bigger.

Again: once, while discussing future user base growth, Satoshi considered 20% per year (doubling every 4 years) a "crazy" rate of growth.  That would be consistent with his chosen block reward schedule (halving every four years).  With a "non-crazy" growth rate of less than 20%/year, the USD value of the block reward would have deceased with time, forcing the system to transition gradually to fees.

Surely he was too smart to risk actual predictions, but on the other hand he cannot have expected the price to rise by a factor of 10 every year for 5 years.  So the USD value of the block reward too increased by almost he same factor, instead of decreasing as he may have expected.

The price rose so fast because of speculative investment and trading, fueled by predictions that it would one day replace VISA.  That surely is a use for bitcoin that he did not expect.  If there is something that the world did not need in 2009, and will never need, is another penny stock.  He would not have bothered creating bitcoin, if he knew that it would turn into that.

If he did not expect that to be part of the behavior, then he was completely stupid about markets, and I rather doubt that.

Once the possibility that it can someday replace VISA exists (or alternately function alongside VISA at a similar scale), people will speculatively trade on that possibility. Markets do not function in a manner where the value is in any way proportionate with number of current users. To the extent that value is proportionate with number of users at all, the basis for that proportionality is expected future users, a quantity that will certainly be highly volatile as current developments influence market consensus expectations of future outcomes.

How people on a trading thread could be so completely clueless about that is a mystery to me.

Anyway, block rewards will not necessarily increase nor decrease in USD value, it just depends on future market conditions. Either is possible. I certainly expect that this upcoming halving will see a decrease in USD value, but I can't be sure of that of course. As for future ones, nobody has any clue, whether they claim to or not.

Regarding signatures, I agree with JorgeStolfi that the simple measure of just limiting transactions to some reasonable size (at least temporarily) is easy and sufficient.

EDIT: He seems not clueless about markets, so we can rule out that he didn't expect and accept that speculation would occur

A rational market price for something that is expected to increase in value will already reflect the present value of the expected future increases.  In your head, you do a probability estimate balancing the odds that it keeps increasing.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:27:51 AM

i think it was well known that Oppenheimer was a psychopath that likely didn't have a conscience ... yet a remarkable mind never-the-less.
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:33:45 AM

i think it was well known that Oppenheimer was a psychopath that likely didn't have a conscience ... yet a remarkable mind never-the-less.

The guy that quoted the Bhagavad Gita...

Psychopath confirmed.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2117

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:34:03 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2016, 04:51:41 AM by Richy_T

Why would be only 5-10, or only 500 nodes? There is no factual data to support that claim at all.

Everyone can have a p2p client that deals with 10kb/sec, has 100 mb storage requirements, needs 1 small cpu and 256mb ram. As you go up and up in hw requirements, cost goes up, "volunteers" go down - even if userbase goes up. As you hit datacenter level requirements the number of "volunteers" starts dropping significantly because costs start running in the 5 digit, then 6 digit category and eventually you'll be paying millions.

Some of us remember 8 bit CPUs running at 4Mhz with 1k of RAM and software stored on audio cassettes. Hard drives were just something you read about. The first one I actually had (nearly 10 years later) was 40MB

In the past 10 years, I have seen 10 racks of servers in a server room disappear into a handful of Virtual hosts. I'm currently running a full node on Amazon's smallest, weakest instance type. Their cost for storing the blockchain as it currently stands is on the order of $5/month.

These are issues we should not be worrying about until they are measurably becoming an issue. Like regularly full blocks already *are*

JorgeStolfi

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:35:54 AM

The price rose so fast because of speculative investment and trading, fueled by predictions that it would one day replace VISA.  That surely is a use for bitcoin that he did not expect.  If there is something that the world did not need in 2009, and will never need, is another penny stock.  He would not have bothered creating bitcoin, if he knew that it would turn into that.

If he did not expect that to be part of the behavior, then he was completely stupid about markets, and I rather doubt that.

Once the possibility that it can someday replace VISA exists (or alternately function alongside VISA at a similar scale), people will speculatively trade on that possibility.

What I meant is other people started talking of bitcoin taking a significant slice of VISA's market, either sincerely or to pump the price.  Satoshi himself does not seem to have intended that, and even suggested the opposite:

Commerce on the Internet has come to rely almost exclusively on financial institutions serving as trusted third parties to process electronic payments. While the system works well enough for most transactions

I read that as "bitcoin is not meant to replace VISA or bank wires, but is meant to be used when a third party is not available or really not appropriate".

Anyway, block rewards will not necessarily increase nor decrease in USD value, it just depends on future market conditions. Either is possible.

Of course.  I was trying to guess what Satoshi was thinking when he defined the halving schedule.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:40:17 AM

I think he anticipated (possibly) being bigger than VISA

Once it gets bootstrapped, there are so many applications if you could effortlessly pay a few cents to a website as easily as dropping coins in a vending machine.

Eventually at most only 21 million coins for 6.8 billion people in the world if it really gets huge.

etc.

He did anticipate that the block rewards would become insignificant though, long before they actually reach zero in 100+ years.

In a few decades when the reward gets too small, the transaction fee will become the main compensation for nodes
AZwarel

Activity: 401
Merit: 280

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:42:40 AM

Why would be only 5-10, or only 500 nodes? There is no factual data to support that claim at all.

Everyone can have a p2p client that deals with 10kb/sec, has 100 mb storage requirements, needs 1 small cpu and 256mb ram. As you go up and up in hw requirements, cost goes up, "volunteers" go down - even if userbase goes up. As you hit datacenter level requirements the number of "volunteers" starts dropping significantly because costs start running in the 5 digit, then 6 digit category and eventually you'll be paying millions.

Some of us remember 8 bit CPUs running at 4Mhz with 1k of RAM and software stored on audio cassettes. Hard drives were just something you read about. The first one I actually had (nearly 10 years later) was 40MB

+1

I tried to explain this exact point many times before. Some pretend here that suddenly hardware will not increase anymore in the next 10 years, and we are all doomed because 60GB+ blockchain. I remember installing programs from 10+ floppy disks, and am only in my early 30s. My cell phone is stronger than university computers were ~15 years ago.
CuntChocula

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:47:03 AM

Again: once, while discussing future user base growth, Satoshi considered 20% per year (doubling every 4 years) a "crazy" rate of growth.  That would be consistent with his chosen block reward schedule (halving every four years).  With a "non-crazy" growth rate of less than 20%/year, the USD value of the block reward would have deceased with time, forcing the system to transition gradually to fees.

Surely he was too smart to risk actual predictions, but on the other hand he cannot have expected the price to rise by a factor of 10 every year for 5 years.  So the USD value of the block reward too increased by almost he same factor, instead of decreasing as he may have expected.

The price rose so fast because of speculative investment and trading, fueled by predictions that it would one day replace VISA.  That surely is a use for bitcoin that he did not expect.  If there is something that the world did not need in 2009, and will never need, is another penny stock.  He would not have bothered creating bitcoin, if he knew that it would turn into that.

Once the possibility that it can someday replace VISA exists (or alternately function alongside VISA at a similar scale), people will speculatively trade on that possibility. Markets do not function in a manner where the value is in any way proportionate with number of current users. To the extent that value is proportionate with number of users at all, the basis for that proportionality is expected future users, a quantity that will certainly be highly volatile as current developments influence market consensus expectations of future outcomes.

How people on a trading thread could be so completely clueless about that is a mystery to me.

Anyway, block rewards will not necessarily increase nor decrease in USD value, it just depends on future market conditions. Either is possible. I certainly expect that this upcoming halving will see a decrease in USD value, but I can't be sure of that of course. As for future ones, nobody has any clue, whether they claim to or not.

Regarding signatures, I agree with JorgeStolfi that the simple measure of just limiting transactions to some reasonable size (at least temporarily) is easy and sufficient.

EDIT: He seems not clueless about markets, so we can rule out that he didn't expect and accept that speculation would occur

A rational market price for something that is expected to increase in value will already reflect the present value of the expected future increases.  In your head, you do a probability estimate balancing the odds that it keeps increasing.

TL;DR? Bullish?
BitcoinjunkieZ

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:47:15 AM

Bitcoin Prise again on another rise for the 1000$ ?  Grin
Would be great Smiley
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:48:15 AM

TL;DR? Bullish?

Cautiously bullish at the moment. I think the Hearn-Crypsy dump was overdone, but Im not a very good short term trader.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2016, 05:00:15 AM

I'm bearish for the next 2-3 months. We'll stay above 275, but it's gonna be a slow decline to 300 or so.

1W MACD not looking good. Especially because MACD has almost always been in green since March 2015, it's time to see some red.

All this hard fork talk will contribute to it.
Pages: « 1 ... 14467 14468 14469 14470 14471 14472 14473 14474 14475 14476 14477 14478 14479 14480 14481 14482 14483 14484 14485 14486 14487 14488 14489 14490 14491 14492 14493 14494 14495 14496 14497 14498 14499 14500 14501 14502 14503 14504 14505 14506 14507 14508 14509 14510 14511 14512 14513 14514 14515 14516 [14517] 14518 14519 14520 14521 14522 14523 14524 14525 14526 14527 14528 14529 14530 14531 14532 14533 14534 14535 14536 14537 14538 14539 14540 14541 14542 14543 14544 14545 14546 14547 14548 14549 14550 14551 14552 14553 14554 14555 14556 14557 14558 14559 14560 14561 14562 14563 14564 14565 14566 14567 ... 33321 »
  Print  

Jump to: