May 04, 2024, 08:09:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14437 14438 14439 14440 14441 14442 14443 14444 14445 14446 14447 14448 14449 14450 14451 14452 14453 14454 14455 14456 14457 14458 14459 14460 14461 14462 14463 14464 14465 14466 14467 14468 14469 14470 14471 14472 14473 14474 14475 14476 14477 14478 14479 14480 14481 14482 14483 14484 14485 14486 [14487] 14488 14489 14490 14491 14492 14493 14494 14495 14496 14497 14498 14499 14500 14501 14502 14503 14504 14505 14506 14507 14508 14509 14510 14511 14512 14513 14514 14515 14516 14517 14518 14519 14520 14521 14522 14523 14524 14525 14526 14527 14528 14529 14530 14531 14532 14533 14534 14535 14536 14537 ... 33321 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371833 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Post-Cosmic

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 03:38:17 PM

It's important that a distributed ledger (blockchain) network not get spammed / be vulnerable to wasteful, spammy, or malicious transactions/requests. So, this argument, in favor of small blocks, is very legitimate and must be considered.

It's also important that a distributed ledger (blockchain) network be allowed to grow in userbase, feature set, adapt to new functionalities and processing capabilities, to match the ever-evolving needs and demand from a diverse userbase, particularly in the midst of the rapidly changing technological landscape of modern societies. So, this argument, in favor of larger blocks, is also very legitimate and must be considered.

..But implementing solutions that address either, or ideally, somehow, both of of these main issues, doesn't solve bitcoin's ACTUAL biggest problem as the premier [theoretically] decentralized payment system & store of value we need it for.

Why? Because as Mike unceremoniously put it,

As long as China controls Bitcoin, it has failed it's most cardinal mission as a decentralized trustless system.

To save Bitcoin we must execute a benevolent, temporary 51% attack on Chinese pools and/or vote to change Core to blacklist them (or use any similar method, I don't know - I'm not a programmer ;3) to 'force' Chinese monopolistic miners OUT OF THEIR DDOS'ING, SELF-INTERESTED, CHINESE-WALL+AUTHORITARIAN-REGIME-PROBLEMATIC MAJORITY.

Beyond dreams of a fee market, beyond issues with full blocks ~ If Bitcoin is to succeed, CHINA MUST GO.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 03:39:42 PM

Last chance of corrupted government(s) to kill bitcoin using their puppets in core dev group. A major, major economic crisis is knocking on the door and their time to ruin bitcoin is running out fast.

No need 4 gubermints to step in here, you Crypto enthusiasts seem to be doing fine all on your own.

"Embattled digital currency exchange Cryptsy is now claiming that it is insolvent.

The exchange alleges in a newly released blog post that it was the target of a hack in July 2014, an incident that it said cost it approximately 13,000 BTC ($7.5m at then prices) and approximately 300,000 LTC (then $2.08m).

"This of course was a critical event for Cryptsy, however at the time the website was earning more than it was spending and we still have some reserves of those cryptocurrencies on hand. The decision was made to pull from our profits to fill these wallets back up over time, thus attempting to avert complete closure of the website at that time.""

Fractional reserve. Because it works Cool
Cryptsy failed because Bitcoin works. Gee, I hope this post isn't deleted too.

By "works," you mean "makes shit like Cryptsy possible"?
Anything can be exchanged in a custodial exchange. Poor performance is no excuse for bailouts.
Anything could be exchanged in an unregulated Magic: The Gathering sort of an exchange, you mean? Nonexistent shit for worthless shit & back again, in a frictionless market, due to plenty of tears & snot lubrication?
Well, yeah you got me there. I'm not a fan of these exchanges. OTOH, the global stock market is crashing so, the bailouts didn't work there either.

Sure. Last time DOW fell 10% in 24 hrs is when?
Like I said, I'm not a fan of these exchanges. They should be regulated like Wall Street so they shut down during flash crashes like this.

So what you're telling me is all this "trustless" bullshit is bullshit?
Bitcoin commerce needs government oversight, just like conventional fiat commerce?
So Bitcoin's basically, a fiat surrogate? only useless for 99.9% of IRL financial transactions?
WTF does trusting MTGOX have to do with Bitcoin? We've moved past that. Yes, MTGOX type exchanges that use fiat should be regulated. If they don't allow fiat, then they seem to work fine.

"We've moved past that"? Clearly we haven't, see: Cryptsy; Havelock.
No fiat. Plenty of scam.
Custodial exchanges. Try exchanging with crypto's advanced features instead of trusting non regulated anonymous entities.

What is the problem with Havelock?
bargainbin

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 03:40:13 PM

Last chance of corrupted government(s) to kill bitcoin using their puppets in core dev group. A major, major economic crisis is knocking on the door and their time to ruin bitcoin is running out fast.

No need 4 gubermints to step in here, you Crypto enthusiasts seem to be doing fine all on your own.

"Embattled digital currency exchange Cryptsy is now claiming that it is insolvent.

The exchange alleges in a newly released blog post that it was the target of a hack in July 2014, an incident that it said cost it approximately 13,000 BTC ($7.5m at then prices) and approximately 300,000 LTC (then $2.08m).

"This of course was a critical event for Cryptsy, however at the time the website was earning more than it was spending and we still have some reserves of those cryptocurrencies on hand. The decision was made to pull from our profits to fill these wallets back up over time, thus attempting to avert complete closure of the website at that time.""

Anything can be exchanged in a custodial exchange. Poor performance is no excuse for bailouts.
Anything could be exchanged in an unregulated Magic: The Gathering sort of an exchange, you mean? Nonexistent shit for worthless shit & back again, in a frictionless market, due to plenty of tears & snot lubrication?
Well, yeah you got me there. I'm not a fan of these exchanges. OTOH, the global stock market is crashing so, the bailouts didn't work there either.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of these exchanges. They should be regulated like Wall Street so they shut down during flash crashes like this.

Bitcoin commerce needs government oversight, just like conventional fiat commerce?
So Bitcoin's basically, a fiat surrogate? only useless for 99.9% of IRL financial transactions?
WTF does trusting MTGOX have to do with Bitcoin? We've moved past that. Yes, MTGOX type exchanges that use fiat should be regulated. If they don't allow fiat, then they seem to work fine.

No fiat. Plenty of scam.
Custodial exchanges. Try exchanging with crypto's advanced features instead of trusting non regulated anonymous entities.

Which would you recommend? Let's say I want to sell 20 BTC for fiat/another coin?

@ZephramC: its track record of empoverishing intrepid investors. You must be new.
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 03:46:23 PM

No fiat. Plenty of scam.

Which would you recommend? Let's say I want to sell 20 BTC for fiat/another coin?

@ZephramC: its track record of empoverishing intrepid investors. You must be new.

I am not new. But perhaps I missed something. You mean companies listed on Havelock empoverishing or the Havelock itself<
bargainbin

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 03:55:54 PM

No fiat. Plenty of scam.

I am not new. But perhaps I missed something. You mean companies listed on Havelock empoverishing or the Havelock itself<

I mean when you go to a store, and each and every time you buy a snack -- any kind of a snack -- you wind up in the emergency room, getting your tummy pumped, I'd say avoid the store.
Regardless of whether it's the store or the store's suppliers who poison the food.

So, technically no, it's not Havelock, it's their expertly curated offerings Smiley

P.S. Which is not to say you should avoid it.
P.P.S. still waiting for the answer re. boldface above.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:01:53 PM

Coin

Explanation
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2117

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:02:48 PM

Just from interest, I ran this. The blue line is the free block space, the red line is when Satshi implemented the current block size limit.

Haven't had this one in a while...
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:07:03 PM

Hearn has not lost my respect. He never had it in the first place.

A deeply immature person.

Unfortunately he is not the only one. Gmax, Luke and Thymos act similar.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:07:47 PM

Just from interest, I ran this. The blue line is the free block space, the red line is when Satshi implemented the current block size limit.

Shitcoiners spamming the blockchain. Thank you satoshi for anticipating them!

PS/ and fuck you richy and your miserable fud attempts.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:14:57 PM

Next up, I think full blocks vs time and probably fees vs time.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:16:05 PM

bitcoin serves as a fungible currency

You mean like how the 13,000 BTC stolen from Cryptsy are fungible?

https://www.walletexplorer.com/wallet/0c07e0bec1002bd2

BigVern must be mistaken when he says "If they are returned, then we will assume that no harm was meant and will not take any action to reveal who you are.  If not, well, then I suppose the entire community will be looking for you."

Last we heard of the guy he was flying out to China isn't it?

These 13,000 coins will find their way diluted into the market in due time.

Some may ask why we didn’t report this to the authorities when this occurred, and the answer is that we just didn’t know what happened, didn’t want to cause panic, and were unsure who exactly we should be contacting.
http://blog.cryptsy.com/

Now that's funny right there I don't care who you are.   Cheesy Grin Cheesy

yep... cryptsy has been brewing for last few weeks.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:16:24 PM

PS/ and fuck you richy and your miserable fud attempts.

I know, right? I ignore those little lights that come on on my dashboard too that tell me I need more oil or to replace the brakes and so forth also.

And fuck the blockchain for it's factual data. We should just replace it with hope & dreams instead.

Mrpumperitis
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1075

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:18:54 PM

aztecminer
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:21:44 PM

It's important that a distributed ledger (blockchain) network not get spammed / be vulnerable to wasteful, spammy, or malicious transactions/requests. So, this argument, in favor of small blocks, is very legitimate and must be considered.

It's also important that a distributed ledger (blockchain) network be allowed to grow in userbase, feature set, adapt to new functionalities and processing capabilities, to match the ever-evolving needs and demand from a diverse userbase, particularly in the midst of the rapidly changing technological landscape of modern societies. So, this argument, in favor of larger blocks, is also very legitimate and must be considered.

..But implementing solutions that address either, or ideally, somehow, both of of these main issues, doesn't solve bitcoin's ACTUAL biggest problem as the premier [theoretically] decentralized payment system & store of value we need it for.

Why? Because as Mike unceremoniously put it,

As long as China controls Bitcoin, it has failed it's most cardinal mission as a decentralized trustless system.

To save Bitcoin we must execute a benevolent, temporary 51% attack on Chinese pools and/or vote to change Core to blacklist them (or use any similar method, I don't know - I'm not a programmer ;3) to 'force' Chinese monopolistic miners OUT OF THEIR DDOS'ING, SELF-INTERESTED, CHINESE-WALL+AUTHORITARIAN-REGIME-PROBLEMATIC MAJORITY.

Beyond dreams of a fee market, beyond issues with full blocks ~ If Bitcoin is to succeed, CHINA MUST GO.

wut Huh? we gotta do wut Huh "blockchain blacklists" Huh? ok everyone all chant at same time: "china must go" "we want blockchain blacklists"!  .... follow up with a give me a "WOOT WOOT" .
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:26:46 PM

wut Huh? we gotta do wut Huh "blockchain blacklists" Huh? ok everyone all chant at same time: "china must go" "we want blockchain blacklists"!  .... follow up with a give me a "WOOT WOOT" .

Clearly their influence is making Bitcoin too inscrutable. Possibly even more dangerous than centralization.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:28:08 PM

Well, at least volume is up.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:31:21 PM

Next up, I think full blocks vs time and probably fees vs time.

Have you seen someone break down the fee/non-fee transaction distribution lately? I would think people are already starting to add extra fees. I know I am.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4469

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:32:08 PM

Good morning Bitcoinland.

I finally got my buying opportunity during business hours. Unfortunately it's the middle of January and I could only afford a single coin. Better than no coins I suppose.

Luckily I woke up early and ran right out to buy so I only paid $390. Was that the last chance to buy for less than $400?
aztecminer
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:35:40 PM

Wow, that's a lot of news...

Seems like btc is going through lots of troubles. I hope it'll go through them, don't want to see btc crash and die now :/

those problems have been there for awhile. i think there is something similar problem still brewing.
soullyG

Activity: 1011
Merit: 721

Decentralize everything

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:36:15 PM

If we don't drop below ~$370 on this latest push down then I'm feeling bullish as fuck
Pages: « 1 ... 14437 14438 14439 14440 14441 14442 14443 14444 14445 14446 14447 14448 14449 14450 14451 14452 14453 14454 14455 14456 14457 14458 14459 14460 14461 14462 14463 14464 14465 14466 14467 14468 14469 14470 14471 14472 14473 14474 14475 14476 14477 14478 14479 14480 14481 14482 14483 14484 14485 14486 [14487] 14488 14489 14490 14491 14492 14493 14494 14495 14496 14497 14498 14499 14500 14501 14502 14503 14504 14505 14506 14507 14508 14509 14510 14511 14512 14513 14514 14515 14516 14517 14518 14519 14520 14521 14522 14523 14524 14525 14526 14527 14528 14529 14530 14531 14532 14533 14534 14535 14536 14537 ... 33321 »
  Print  

Jump to: