July 01, 2024, 11:28:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14492 14493 14494 14495 14496 14497 14498 14499 14500 14501 14502 14503 14504 14505 14506 14507 14508 14509 14510 14511 14512 14513 14514 14515 14516 14517 14518 14519 14520 14521 14522 14523 14524 14525 14526 14527 14528 14529 14530 14531 14532 14533 14534 14535 14536 14537 14538 14539 14540 14541 [14542] 14543 14544 14545 14546 14547 14548 14549 14550 14551 14552 14553 14554 14555 14556 14557 14558 14559 14560 14561 14562 14563 14564 14565 14566 14567 14568 14569 14570 14571 14572 14573 14574 14575 14576 14577 14578 14579 14580 14581 14582 14583 14584 14585 14586 14587 14588 14589 14590 14591 14592 ... 33499 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26409841 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 09:36:20 AM

Whatever it is that the economic majority thinks is more important. If it is sticking with the existing miner fleet, that's where the value ends up. If it is firing the existing miner fleet, that's where the value ends up. There is no answer you or I can state without that information that is more correct than another.

OK.  But note that the Core devs cannot "fire the miners", just as I cannot fire the Core devs or the miners.  They have no power to stop or hamper the CartelCoin, nor the OldCoin. All they can do is what I can do create the CoreCoin (or StolfiCoin) and hope that people will use it.  They cannot even ask people to choose between the two: each client will start with the same coins on each branch, and can move them independently.
Andre#

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 09:36:35 AM

has anyone noticed that you cant make new btc addresses on exchanges now!, bittrex and polo dont allow it anymore, its one address per account ( with id on polo )
hmm i wonder why??

I just made a new one at Kraken. No problems.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 09:38:06 AM

Whatever it is that the economic majority thinks is more important. If it is sticking with the existing miner fleet, that's where the value ends up. If it is firing the existing miner fleet, that's where the value ends up. There is no answer you or I can state without that information that is more correct than another.

OK.  But note that the Core devs cannot "fire the miners", just as I cannot fire the Core devs or the miners.  They have no power to stop or hamper the CartelCoin, nor the OldCoin. All they can do is what I can do create the CoreCoin (or StolfiCoin) and hope that people will use it.  They cannot even ask people to choose between the two: each client will start with the same coins on each branch, and can move them independently.

I never mentioned the Core devs.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 09:53:31 AM

World faces wave of epic debt defaults, fears central bank veteran
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/davos/12108569/World-faces-wave-of-epic-debt-defaults-fears-central-bank-veteran.html

ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 10:01:41 AM

Coin

Explanation
Andre#

Activity: 737

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 10:19:36 AM

People need to do a bank run in every exchange (maybe even online wallets too) well before we reach the point of the hard fork, to ensure that they have control of their BTCs.

AlexGR raises an excellent point. If there is an upcoming contentious hardfork scheduled then the first things people are going to do is withdraw ALL their coins off the exchanges and out of any custodial services.

All those bitcoin alliance folks and corporates that have made their businesses out of holding on to other people's coins in custody should keep that mind whilst they are pushing for contentious hardforks.

Ah, AlexGR's FUD sidekick...

Which idiots are going to leave their coins on an exchange or with Coinbase or BitGo or Bitpay before a hardfork? Almost all custody coins are going to be going back to their rightful owners before a contentious hardfork, the free market will do its job no?

Why leave the vote with the third party holders which fork your coins will end up on when you can keep your options open and hedge bets by holding them in cold storage for yourself?

*edited.

Of course. But why would it be a problem to withdraw when they don't do fractional reserve? It isn't, and hence, it's not a fear factor.
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 10:20:15 AM

And now for something completely different: something tenously related to trading

Note how the volume pattern changed on OKCoin after the last drop. Before the drop you could see the day/night rythm proper of China's time zone. After the drop there is nearly continuous activity, around the clock. Robot traders frantically proping up the price is not a far-fetched possibility...

The volume pattern before the drop itself was different than what I remembered from 2014.  Then it was smother, more sinusoidal.  The one you see on the image above has strong daily peaks that decay abruptly. Maybe some bitcoin ponzi in China updates his webpage once a day?
Good point. Something has changed . . . Strange things afoot . . .
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 10452

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 10:21:00 AM

And now for something completely different: something tenously related to trading

Note how the volume pattern changed on OKCoin after the last drop. Before the drop you could see the day/night rythm proper of China's time zone. After the drop there is nearly continuous activity, around the clock. Robot traders frantically proping up the price is not a far-fetched possibility...

The volume pattern before the drop itself was different than what I remembered from 2014.  Then it was smother, more sinusoidal.  The one you see on the image above has strong daily peaks that decay abruptly. Maybe some bitcoin ponzi in China updates his webpage once a day?

Hopefully most of us realize that Chinese exchanges with no fees do not drive btc's market price, except for FUD spreaders still liking to attribute  more than warranted weight to whatever the Chinese no fee exchanges are doing.

lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 10:46:43 AM

The volume pattern before the drop itself was different than what I remembered from 2014.  Then it was smother, more sinusoidal.  The one you see on the image above has strong daily peaks that decay abruptly. Maybe some bitcoin ponzi in China updates his webpage once a day?

Hopefully most of us realize that Chinese exchanges with no fees do not drive btc's market price, except for FUD spreaders still liking to attribute  more than warranted weight to whatever the Chinese no fee exchanges are doing.

explicitly, in fact even if you have a little bitcoins to trade there, you could just ally some of the users to push up the trading volume, that's why www.coinmarketcap.com excludes the volume that the trading site in china has, if included them up, it would be at least a billion or even two. this means the volume 'farming'.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 10:51:26 AM

People need to do a bank run in every exchange (maybe even online wallets too) well before we reach the point of the hard fork, to ensure that they have control of their BTCs.

AlexGR raises an excellent point. If there is an upcoming contentious hardfork scheduled then the first things people are going to do is withdraw ALL their coins off the exchanges and out of any custodial services.

All those bitcoin alliance folks and corporates that have made their businesses out of holding on to other people's coins in custody should keep that mind whilst they are pushing for contentious hardforks.

Which idoits are going to leave their coins on an exchange or with Coinbase or BitGo or Bitpay before a hardfork?

Why leave the vote with them which fork your coins will end up on when you can keep your options open and hedge bets by holding them in cold storage?

Not really clear why people leave quiet coins there in the first place.

Because many people think that those are the best places to keep their own bitcoin, not everyone knows all the implications of leaving coins there.
The Bitcoin world is not only made by people from this forum: I think most of the people who use BTC don't even come here to understand what it is.
We have to be realistic: for the majority of the people BTC = speculation (and we are writing in a speculation thread)

Speculation (intelligently) means understanding the bets you make, and maximizing your expected returns, which includes not getting Goxed. But then, not all speculators are good speculators. It's pretty much zero sum after all, and most lose.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 11:01:47 AM

Coin

Explanation
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 11:20:28 AM

Splitting a currency unit into two does not dilute the currency any more than moving the decimal point does.

In order to dilute you would need to create new units and issue them to someone other than existing holders.

Well mining does create new units, doesn't it? And instead of having +6mn coins, you then have +12mn due to parallel mining of +3600 coins on each fork.

Regarding existing holders, if you have your own keys you are relatively ok (minus the obvious destruction of USD value), but the situation with coins in online exchanges and wallets will be "problematic" if say an exchange with 500k BTCs, say 'ok my clients, now you have 500k BTCCs because we adopted this fork' (and we are keeping 500k BTCs of the other fork for ourselves). It would be like stealing BTCs and exchanging them for Gavincoins.

Alex, what have you been smoking dear boy? I'd like some.

Exchanges would be in court for years, well the ones that didn't have their doors smashed in, if they tried a slight of hand like that

Karpeles got away with 700k BTCs and said "oops, malleability bug".

They could easily say "well... you know... hard fork... force majeure! Not our fault".

Why would anyone risk this instead of pulling their money out.
8up

Activity: 618

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 11:29:57 AM

Splitting a currency unit into two does not dilute the currency any more than moving the decimal point does.

In order to dilute you would need to create new units and issue them to someone other than existing holders.

Well mining does create new units, doesn't it? And instead of having +6mn coins, you then have +12mn due to parallel mining of +3600 coins on each fork.

Regarding existing holders, if you have your own keys you are relatively ok (minus the obvious destruction of USD value), but the situation with coins in online exchanges and wallets will be "problematic" if say an exchange with 500k BTCs, say 'ok my clients, now you have 500k BTCCs because we adopted this fork' (and we are keeping 500k BTCs of the other fork for ourselves). It would be like stealing BTCs and exchanging them for Gavincoins.

Exchanges would be in court for years, well the ones that didn't have their doors smashed in, if they tried a slight of hand like that

They could easily say "well... you know... hard fork... force majeure! Not our fault".

Because the maintainance of the ledger IS NOT the ledger itself. There is no risk in holding any amount of bitcoin on both forks.

BTW: I hope you guys pull out all your money before the fork. This will be an epic buy opportunity!  Grin
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:01:38 PM

Coin

Explanation
CuntChocula

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:06:51 PM

I could do that myself now: make a copy of core, change the PoW formula, and presto: a hard fork happened, and the coin has split.  If the 1000 PH/s is not important, what is the difference between my bitcoin and their bitcoin?

For a start, the PoW.

After that, it depends.

Depends on what?  If the hashpower is not important, and preserving the PoW is not important, then what is the magic factor that would cause all the value to go to the CoreCoin branch instead of the CartelCoin branch? 

ELI5 the mechanism for the the "economic majority" to make its wishes known & relevant?
Assuming I hold 90% of all the coins mined to date (I'm economic majority), how do I go about this shit?
If I'm just holding the coin (not solding), why do my wishes matter to the miners (I do not buy, only hodl)? To the exchanges (I do not trade, only hodl)?
orpington

Activity: 784
Merit: 512

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:11:36 PM

It's the same faggots dribbling the same nonsense in this thread.

some Juan Juan faggot, some billyjean faggot, i can't even remember your stupid names.

I can't even be bothered ignoring you retards, I just scroll down past whatever you idiots say.

Why don't you faggots get a hobby or something, you're the kings of the special olympics, absolute fucking retards.

Sell your coins or don't i dont give a fuck, i'll be the one having the last laugh when Bitcoin goes through the roof.

wtf that's too funny!

U forgot "Cunt" Chocula dude?!
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:13:00 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2016, 12:23:40 PM by AlexGR

Because the maintainance of the ledger IS NOT the ledger itself. There is no risk in holding any amount of bitcoin on both forks.

Unless exchanges commit to offering both BTC and BTCC trading, with dual wallets, dual market engines etc, any BTC coins that remain in an exchange that "shifts" to BTCC can (and probably will be) "confiscated" and users will be given only ...gavincoins / BTCCs. Exchanges will have all sort of excuses to offer about how they are not obligated to do dual wallets for every different chain other than the dominant one, etc etc. They can even cite the protocol specifications and claim that the BTCCs are actually the real bitcoins and that BTCs are just an invalid shorter chain or something - so why would they even keep track of them, etc etc.

The fork can easily be a heist tool. Don't leave any coins on pools, exchanges, etc etc before any hard fork. If you own the keys, you'll get btcs AND btccs, so you can then dump whatever you don't like. Don't let exchanges take them and dump them for THEIR profit.

Any exchange that is on the bitcoinclassic.com page, essentially has a stated intention of turning your deposited BTCs into gavincoins / BTCCs and keeping your BTCs - unless they explicitly offer both BTC and BTCC trading options.

Even if one is a BTCC supporter, he'd rather have his BTCs for dumping (or HODLing) instead of the exchange who will keep the profit of the BTC-chain.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:25:26 PM

I could do that myself now: make a copy of core, change the PoW formula, and presto: a hard fork happened, and the coin has split.  If the 1000 PH/s is not important, what is the difference between my bitcoin and their bitcoin?

For a start, the PoW.

After that, it depends.

Depends on what?  If the hashpower is not important, and preserving the PoW is not important, then what is the magic factor that would cause all the value to go to the CoreCoin branch instead of the CartelCoin branch? 

ELI5 the mechanism for the the "economic majority" to make its wishes known & relevant?

The market.

Assuming I hold 90% of all the coins mined to date (I'm economic majority), how do I go about this shit?

If you own 90% of the coins, you are the market. Obviously not realistic. In reality there are many participants, and they'll trade with one another and work it out. One fork will be worth more than the other, probably a lot more, but who knows.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:26:34 PM

BTW: I hope you guys pull out all your money before the fork. This will be an epic buy opportunity!  Grin

He didn't say sell, he said pull it out of the exchange and hold the fucking keys yourself.
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:44:06 PM

Which idiots are going to leave their coins on an exchange or with Coinbase or BitGo or Bitpay before a hardfork? Almost all custody coins are going to be going back to their rightful owners before a contentious hardfork, the free market will do its job no?

Why leave the vote with the third party holders which fork your coins will end up on when you can keep your options open and hedge bets by holding them in cold storage for yourself?

*edited.

Is there any reliable information about which exchanges WILL NOT support the fork? I have already tried to start a list here, but no contributions yet...
Pages: « 1 ... 14492 14493 14494 14495 14496 14497 14498 14499 14500 14501 14502 14503 14504 14505 14506 14507 14508 14509 14510 14511 14512 14513 14514 14515 14516 14517 14518 14519 14520 14521 14522 14523 14524 14525 14526 14527 14528 14529 14530 14531 14532 14533 14534 14535 14536 14537 14538 14539 14540 14541 [14542] 14543 14544 14545 14546 14547 14548 14549 14550 14551 14552 14553 14554 14555 14556 14557 14558 14559 14560 14561 14562 14563 14564 14565 14566 14567 14568 14569 14570 14571 14572 14573 14574 14575 14576 14577 14578 14579 14580 14581 14582 14583 14584 14585 14586 14587 14588 14589 14590 14591 14592 ... 33499 »
  Print  

Jump to: