May 02, 2024, 04:55:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14875 14876 14877 14878 14879 14880 14881 14882 14883 14884 14885 14886 14887 14888 14889 14890 14891 14892 14893 14894 14895 14896 14897 14898 14899 14900 14901 14902 14903 14904 14905 14906 14907 14908 14909 14910 14911 14912 14913 14914 14915 14916 14917 14918 14919 14920 14921 14922 14923 14924 [14925] 14926 14927 14928 14929 14930 14931 14932 14933 14934 14935 14936 14937 14938 14939 14940 14941 14942 14943 14944 14945 14946 14947 14948 14949 14950 14951 14952 14953 14954 14955 14956 14957 14958 14959 14960 14961 14962 14963 14964 14965 14966 14967 14968 14969 14970 14971 14972 14973 14974 14975 ... 33315 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26370974 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 04:00:49 PM

Coin

Explanation

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 04:02:06 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2016, 04:20:37 PM by billyjoeallen

You can run a farm on a mobile broadband connection if you're mining on a pool. And that won't change.

If there are cell towers 200 miles from Gnome, Alaska, I am not aware of it.

Mobile broadband was probably used as in "slow."
Quick search tells me that there are at least 2 internet providers in Nome, Alaska.
In my (unlerned) opinion, "decentralization" is no longer an issue, that bird has flown.

If we can't again achieve distributed mining, then the only thing left for me to do is try to find the best possible exit point to divest.

We are a gnat to the PRC. If we ever grow to the size of a horsefly, we will get swatted and we've given them the best possible flyswatter: >50% of mining hardware.

But even if the ChiComs decide to keep Bitcoin and use it for their own purposes, they could stop or even reverse halvings, create ways to track users, or something worse. If they control the longest chain, they can do whatever the hell they want.

If we are not a threat to the PRC, then Bitcoin has failed. If we are not capable of growing to the point where we could become a threat, then Bitcoin has failed. If we can't recognize this problem, then we won't do anything about it, and Bitcoin will fail.
8up

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 04:12:42 PM

You can run a farm on a mobile broadband connection if you're mining on a pool. And that won't change.

Quick search tells me that there are at least 2 internet providers in Nome, Alaska.
In my (unlerned) opinion, "decentralization" is no longer an issue, that bird has flown.

OMG - you envision a fee market (long before it's neccessary), but you can not see the commoditization of mining equipment hence re-decentralization of mining!?
bargainbin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 04:24:21 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2016, 04:35:28 PM by bargainbin

OMG - you envision a fee market (long before it's neccessary), but you can not see the commoditization of mining equipment hence re-decentralization of mining!?

I don't understand what you mean. Explain?

If we can't again achieve distributed mining, then the only thing left for me to do is try to find the best possible exit point to divest.

We are a gnat to the PRC. If we ever grow to the size of a horsefly, we will get swatted and we've given them the best possible flyswatter: >50% of mining hardware.

For me, that exit point was a long time ago. You've seen how thins forum has changed over the years:
(Bitcoin discussion top topics right now)

My guess is MMM forums have similar content, albeit it's unlikely they have a separate section for investment-based games ponzis.

>we've given them the best possible flyswatter: >50% of mining hardware.
We haven't *given* them shit. Bitcoin isn't about giving, it's about what you can *take*.
Everything not expressly forbidden is allowed.
Bitcoin failed to address centralization (economies of scale, etc.) *in time* (if mining didn't become centralized as quickly as it did, we [arguably] would have had a chance).
Our Muffin discovered meth & steroids when she was 3, so, naturally, we get what we got now...
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 04:28:57 PM

^that govy shill never stops spewing his shit all over the place uh?

debunking all the conspiracies and pushing for bitcoin fork along with the beanies babies..

how about you pay a visit to MMM forums and take a break from here, you seems quite nervous lately, your masters plan about splitting bitcoin is not working.

and pay your taxes and abide to bitlicense and get some coffee with coinbase while you're at it.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 04:36:51 PM

For me, that exit point was a long time ago.

You may easily be right, but the pumpmonkeys are doing their thing right now, and I think I can do a little better than $450. There's a lot of momentum.
bargainbin

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 04:43:27 PM

^^I'm sure you're right, I'm not talking about the price.
8up

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 04:57:21 PM

If I remember right, there is even a paper written on this topic. But for the start, this should work: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2o71hh/physics_and_economics_will_distributed_mining_im/
bargainbin

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 04:57:48 PM

^that govy shill never stops spewing his shit all over the place uh?

debunking all the conspiracies and pushing for bitcoin fork along with the beanies babies..

how about you pay a visit to MMM forums and take a break from here, you seems quite nervous lately < snip>

Didn't hear you, what?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 05:00:49 PM

Coin

Explanation
bargainbin

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 05:06:55 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2016, 05:22:06 PM by bargainbin

If I remember right, there is even a paper written on this topic. But for the start, this should work: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2o71hh/physics_and_economics_will_distributed_mining_im/

"As someone who comes from a physics and engineering background, over the long run I'm not concerned with mining centralization. Physics will ensure it is distributed."
"As a result, the mining centralization we see in Greenland and large data centers becomes enormously unprofitable. Any centralization of mining would REQUIRE heat recycling, which severely limits data centers and necessitates distribution unless you introduce heat pumps, which also increase cost."
--submitted 1 year ago
How's that decentralization goin' thus far?

The guy doesn't understand that mining is centralized in China, not Greenland.
He doesn't understand that it's economically idiotic to heat your hot water with miners, because miners need *cold water* going into the waterblocks -- recirculating hot water for cooling ain't cooling, it ain't gonna do much. If hot water was used at a constant rate, 24/7, he might have a better point, but it don't work like that.
Regardless, *mining is concentrated around cheap electricity,* not where it's cold (Greenland).
The fact that silicon might hit quantum dead end "round the year 2024" ain't doing diddly for us now.

TL;DR: don't buy his "physics and engineering background," he doesn't think things through.
P.S. If you wanna talk about particulars of utilizing waste heat, I'll be glad to.

P.P.S. LOL, HE'S the bro behind "That is why we are building a bitcoin miner that fits inside a water heater."
I remember when IceDrill was selling us stories about their farm providing heat for apartment complexes Cheesy
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 05:12:50 PM

Mining concentration isn't solely a product of unequal access to hardware and economies of scale. China's electricity and labor cost advantages contribute, as well as f*cked up code that actually gives them a competitive advantage for crappy bandwidth (selfish mining). The alliance between miners and Core ensures this will likely continue unless and until Classic or something like it gets node supermajority. That's a low probability outcome and a dangerous bet, IMHO.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 05:22:02 PM

as well as f*cked up code that actually gives them a competitive advantage for crappy bandwidth (selfish mining).

Explain
bargainbin

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 05:37:29 PM

Waiting ...
P.S. If you wanna talk about particulars of utilizing waste heat, I'll be glad to.

P.P.S. LOL, HE'S the bro behind "That is why we are building a bitcoin miner that fits inside a water heater."
I remember when IceDrill was selling us stories about their farm providing heat for apartment complexes Cheesy
8up

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 05:37:53 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2016, 06:00:35 PM by 8up

"As someone who comes from a physics and engineering background, over the long run I'm not concerned with mining centralization. Physics will ensure it is distributed."
"As a result, the mining centralization we see in Greenland and large data centers becomes enormously unprofitable. Any centralization of mining would REQUIRE heat recycling, which severely limits data centers and necessitates distribution unless you introduce heat pumps, which also increase cost."
--submitted 1 year ago

He doesn't understand that it's economically idiotic to heat your hot water with miners, because miners need *cold water* going into the waterblocks -- recirculating hot water for cooling ain't cooling, it ain't gonna do much. If hot water was used at a constant rate, 24/7, he might have a better point, but it don't work like that.
Regardless, *mining is concentrated around cheap electricity,* not where it's cold (Greenland).
The fact that silicon might hit quantum dead end "round the year 2024" ain't doing diddly for us now.

TL;DR: don't buy his "physics and engineering background," he doesn't think things through.

Well, the heaters are just one thought. But I think there is more to the thought of commoditization (e.g. longer and longer development circles for ASICs). BTW: I don't see mining centralization as a big problem. There is always competition by other crypto-currencies to balancethings in Bitcoin.

Let's get to the heat waste discussion: Maybe it would be possible to gain back some energy by using Stirling engines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

PSA: outbreak is imminent...
bargainbin

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 05:54:13 PM

--submitted 1 year ago

Well, the heaters are just one thought. But I think there is more to the thought of commoditization (e.g. longer and longer development circles for ASICs). BTW: I don't see mining centralization as a big problem. There is always competition by other crypto-currencies to balancethings in Bitcoin.

Let's get to the heat waste discussion: Maybe it would be possible to gain back some energy by using Stirling engines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

>I don't see mining centralization as a big problem.
In that case, the point's moot. I don't see it as a catastrophic problem, but it's a serious one. One that effectively nulls any pretensions to Bitcoin being "decentralized."

>heaters are just one thought
It's an awful thought. It's fail.

>Stirling engines
Not sure if srs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_engine#Efficiency <==and that's just what's theoretically possible.
Have you also considered this?

Put it this way: Let's say Chinese coal-fired Electricity is 2 pennies per kWh, and yours is 4 pennies. Your Stirling engine manages to convert 3% of wasted heat back into electricity. Yeah.
Bonus: if Stirling heat reclamation made sense, Chinese megaminers would use it too. They'd make the thing, too -- you'll buy it from them Sad

Seriously tho, read the laws of thermodynamics, it's straightforward stuff.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 06:00:47 PM

Coin

Explanation
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 06:01:14 PM

So what is one trade that can be put on to bet on further Chinese devaluation (or outright economic collapse) with limited downside, with unlimited upside, and one which is guaranteed to be profitable if and when the local Chinese depositor herd gets out of Yuan en masse after the next 10%, 20%, 50% or more devaluation and rushes into bitcoin? Simple: do precisely what we said in September, and precisely what Corriente's Mark Hart is saying now: buy bitcoin, because once the Chinese buying frenzy is unleashed, and $25 trillion in deposits scramble to be packed into a product with a $6.5 billion current market cap (but only when the price of a bitcoin is $430; the market cap does rise to $25 trillion if every bitcoin is worth $1.6 million) one thing will happen: the price of bitcoin will soar exponentially.
Cool Holler if ya hear me!
8up

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 06:15:21 PM

--submitted 1 year ago

In that case, the point's moot. I don't see it as a catastrophic problem, but it's a serious one. One that effectively nulls any pretensions to Bitcoin being "decentralized."

>Stirling engines
Not sure if srs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_engine#Efficiency <==and that's just what's theoretically possible.

Put it this way: Let's say Chinese coal-fired Electricity is 2 pennies per kWh, and yours is 4 pennies. Your Stirling engine manages to convert 3% of wasted heat back into electricity. Yeah.
Bonus: if Stirling heat reclamation made sense, Chinese megaminers would use it too. They'd make the thing, too -- you'll buy it from them Sad

I can see, why it makes no sense for the chinese miners today. However, I expect margins to become zero/negative in the forseeable* future.

What do you think will happen longterm (*10 to 20 years)?
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 06:20:44 PM

--submitted 1 year ago

>Stirling engines

I can see, why it makes no sense for the chinese miners today. However, I expect margins to become zero/negative in the forseeable* future.

What do you think will happen longterm (*10 to 20 years)?

even if some engine can convert heat into electricity maybe by peltier, i dont think its economically feasible to do .
Pages: « 1 ... 14875 14876 14877 14878 14879 14880 14881 14882 14883 14884 14885 14886 14887 14888 14889 14890 14891 14892 14893 14894 14895 14896 14897 14898 14899 14900 14901 14902 14903 14904 14905 14906 14907 14908 14909 14910 14911 14912 14913 14914 14915 14916 14917 14918 14919 14920 14921 14922 14923 14924 [14925] 14926 14927 14928 14929 14930 14931 14932 14933 14934 14935 14936 14937 14938 14939 14940 14941 14942 14943 14944 14945 14946 14947 14948 14949 14950 14951 14952 14953 14954 14955 14956 14957 14958 14959 14960 14961 14962 14963 14964 14965 14966 14967 14968 14969 14970 14971 14972 14973 14974 14975 ... 33315 »
  Print  

Jump to: