May 08, 2024, 04:12:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 17203 17204 17205 17206 17207 17208 17209 17210 17211 17212 17213 17214 17215 17216 17217 17218 17219 17220 17221 17222 17223 17224 17225 17226 17227 17228 17229 17230 17231 17232 17233 17234 17235 17236 17237 17238 17239 17240 17241 17242 17243 17244 17245 17246 17247 17248 17249 17250 17251 17252 [17253] 17254 17255 17256 17257 17258 17259 17260 17261 17262 17263 17264 17265 17266 17267 17268 17269 17270 17271 17272 17273 17274 17275 17276 17277 17278 17279 17280 17281 17282 17283 17284 17285 17286 17287 17288 17289 17290 17291 17292 17293 17294 17295 17296 17297 17298 17299 17300 17301 17302 17303 ... 33333 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26377414 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 12:28:44 AM

I'm not gonna bother reading the link.

Another old-timer who couldn’t bother to read/understand the link. At least you were honest.

there was nothing to read/understand ... you posted a half-baked photo but didn't have anything mining specific in it, why waste time on idiots?

Next thing you know the guy is running a 'crowd sale' ICO cloud mining or presales for mining rental token contracts or some other such scam based on a glitzy looking photo.

It's really getting a lot like gold miners ... what's that saying about liars standing over holes?

Scams are getting old dude, if you want to suck up to Jihan and pump for the scammy miners go for it. Don't try to sell it as something big, shiny and new.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 12:29:05 AM

Roger Ver, who owns ViaBTC

Got any evidence to go with that assertion?

Bitcoin Cash is NOT a HF of Bitcoin.

By any sane definition, Bitcoin Cash is exactly a hard fork of the Bitcoin blockchain.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 12:30:45 AM

BCC looks like a winner to me. Wish I wasn't an American citizen so I could bet on it.

I think you'll get your chance. I'm guessing some US-accessible exchanges will list it within a day or three.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 12:32:25 AM

Ok, here's a question.

When BCC splits off we all have the same amount of BCC and BTC. If I have my coins safe on paper wallets how do I go about sweeping the private key of my BCC to dump without making the cold wallets for my BTC no longer cold as I have entered the private key on an online computer?

I don't think you can. But what would be the point of so doing? Just wait until you eventually want to spend some, then split it at that time.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 12:40:46 AM

By any sane definition, Bitcoin Cash is exactly a hard fork of the Bitcoin blockchain.

Here to pump an altcoin bear? ... things must be getting pretty sad in the anti-core camp?
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 12:43:30 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2017, 12:54:57 AM by bitserve

Evidence? Not really, but I would be very surprised it isn't the case. Anyways, the point was Bitcoin.com is a biased news source about this issues, can we agree on that even if you share that same bias?

About the HF... so they are going to replicate the blockchain and then change a lot of rules and divert some (undetermined) hashrate to mine on that.... It is not exactly as if Bitcoin forked. It is an altcoin since its very inception and I think that is the only good thing they are doing about it. It would be irresponsible if it were a real HF more so after an agreement and even reaching 100% consensus on BTC.

If you mean it "forks" from a copy of the Bitcoin blockchain, well, yeah.

P.S.: WHY do you think "Bitcoin cash" is good for Bitcoin holders? I am talking mainly about PRICE impact here.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10225

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 01:31:52 AM

Evidence? Not really, but I would be very surprised it isn't the case. Anyways, the point was Bitcoin.com is a biased news source about this issues, can we agree on that even if you share that same bias?

About the HF... so they are going to replicate the blockchain and then change a lot of rules and divert some (undetermined) hashrate to mine on that.... It is not exactly as if Bitcoin forked. It is an altcoin since its very inception and I think that is the only good thing they are doing about it. It would be irresponsible if it were a real HF more so after an agreement and even reaching 100% consensus on BTC.

If you mean it "forks" from a copy of the Bitcoin blockchain, well, yeah.

P.S.: WHY do you think "Bitcoin cash" is good for Bitcoin holders? I am talking mainly about PRICE impact here.

I believe the pie in the sky premise of the various big blocker "hardfork" nut jobs is their fantastical belief that they are either going to be able to garner sufficient hashpower and economic nodes in order to become the longest bitcoin chain - and to really give bitcoin a run for its money - yet even when they attempt to trick folks into some kind of colluding path forward, they cannot accomplish such collusion based on actual facts and confidence that their way is the "better" way forward, and then they lose substantial portions of those - except some of the extensive baggage wielding nutjobs.

Even though we may have concluded that segwit was going to take some of the wind out of the sail of these arguments, a lot of these folks are so deluded in their thinking that they are never going to be satisfied, and it is likely that they are going to continue to battle for several more years on this same topic... it would be nice if they had a coin that they could just focus upon, but they are never going to be satisfied, so even that seems an insubstantial resolution.

bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 02:53:34 AM

i'm not liking that there is no option on the poll that says: bitcoin will rise all week up untill Aug 1st at which point it will rocket up +500$ as the BCC market crashes down down down to the lowest low ( SUB 100, maybe even <50 Shocked ) and appears to die on arrival.

cuz ya... thats watsup.

Just as long as I get my BCC to market first. Would hate to get stuck bag holding dust, even if it's free.

Edit: Doesn't look like I'll be the first though since I refuse to lock in my BTC at VIABTC, so I can trade in IOU virtual tokens.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2914

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 04:05:08 AM

ANALYSIS: WHY AUGUST 3rd?
(micgoossens's prediction game)

Preliminaries. (Remarks, confessions.)
Any attempts at analysis for dates so far in the future can't be based on TA in the sense of shoulders, cups and double inverted Batmans. Even if it were a full Cow-and-Shepherd (one of the longest TA patterns), it wouldn't start before July 31st. We know the thing with crypto timings: a stock market's week is worth around a crypto halfday. So the analysis must be based on purely qualitative reasoning, no graphs or stuff.

Honestly, I would have preferred to choose Aug 4th: the time frame I am picturing in my mind is one day longer than what I bet on. Well, I'll work with what I have.

The Analysis.
August 1st will be inconsequential. Y2K, if you see what I mean. However, a few weak hands could and probably will be shaken. What this means is that later, as the price starts to run up - gingerly at first - those who panic sold or missed out the discounts will queue up for more - at a, ehm, slightly higher price of course. I'm not sure about the timing after August 1st, but I liked the 4th because it's Friday. Saturday and Sunday is bull-uga party (dolphins are whales too, as we all know). However, Aug 4th was taken, so I had to settle on the 3rd. I guess the cetacea will have to drink their champagne before the weekend breaks. The timing wasn't that crystal clear in my mind anyway.

TL;DR.
Fear of Aug 1st dissipates slowly while the wounded lick their wounds. New week, new life starting on Friday Thursday.

jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 06:08:41 AM

Here to pump an altcoin bear? ... things must be getting pretty sad in the anti-core camp?

Just clarifying for the sake of truth. Depending upon the sequencing of things, Bitcoin Cash may be no more altcoin than is SegWit coin (which is somewhat playfully starting to be referred to as Bitcoin-Jr)
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 06:17:08 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2017, 06:36:14 AM by jbreher

Evidence? Not really, but I would be very surprised it isn't the case.

So you're pulling shit out of your ass. Got it.

Anyways, the point was Bitcoin.com is a biased news source about this issues, can we agree on that even if you share that same bias?

I'll grant you that any editorial slant it may have is likely to be biased to the bigblock camp, yes. I don't really hang out on Bitcoin.com, so I don't really know.

About the HF... so they are going to replicate the blockchain and then change a lot of rules and divert some (undetermined) hashrate to mine on that....

Well, no. They are not replicating the bitcoin blockchain. They are building atop the bitcoin blockchain.

It is not exactly as if Bitcoin forked.

Wrong. It is precisely a fork of the bitcoin blockchain. Up to the fork, both chains identical. After the fork, two separate chains. A fork. Of the blockchain. Exactly.

It is an altcoin since its very inception and I think that is the only good thing they are doing about it.

Again, it is no more an altcoin than Bitcoin-Jr is an altcoin.

P.S.: WHY do you think "Bitcoin cash" is good for Bitcoin holders? I am talking mainly about PRICE impact here

Because Bitcoin Cash has the transaction capacity required to support all the use cases that core threw overboard to sustain their Raspberry Pi fetish. More transaction capacity > more use cases > more utility > more use >  more value > more demand > higher price > more mining support > more security. Virtuous circle.

edit: or to look at it another way:

BTC has up to this point worked pretty well as a store of value*. But let's face it, for the last year, BTC has sucked as a medium of exchange. Some other crypto is going to fill that role. So you've got a choice:
1) Allow Bitcoin Cash to flourish, and take the role of default medium of exchange crypto. For this, you will be admirably rewarded. For you are starting off with one free BCC for every BTC you own.
2) Kill BCC, and some other crypto (LTC perhaps? Dash, god** forbid?) takes the medium of exchange role. Leaving you -- the BTC holder -- with nothing to show for it.

*oh yeah - that asterisk. Frankly, I believe that BTC earned its status as store of value only because its previous exceptional performance (now abandoned) as a medium of exchange. There's a good chance that BTC's store of value properties will be eroded by another coin that works great as medium of exchange, while still working well as a store of value. If so, wouldn't it be a good idea to own that other crypto?

** it's just an expression.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 06:21:31 AM

Just as long as I get my BCC to market first. Would hate to get stuck bag holding dust, even if it's free.

you'll be fine, BCC has bigger blocks, your TX will confrim very fast, like the good old days. 

True dat. OTOH, if you're counting on exchanging your free BCC for legacy BTC, and there is a line to do so, what will strangle your capacity is that these exchanges need to settle on the slow Bitcoin-Jr chain as well as the more capable Bitcoin Cash chain.
fluidjax

Activity: 750
Merit: 601

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 06:30:47 AM

Just clarifying for the sake of truth. Depending upon the sequencing of things, Bitcoin Cash may be no more altcoin than is SegWit coin (which is somewhat playfully starting to be referred to as Bitcoin-Jr)

Stop messing about with the semantics, clearly people are using slightly differing definitions of words here, ignoring that definition and then fighting about what it implies is meaningless.

I can create a hard fork of Bitcoin in a few minutes (tweak some params, change difficultly for that tweak, recompile , mine a block, and we have a hard fork).. it means nothing. The level of support and consensus is what is important.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 06:42:30 AM

Stop messing about with the semantics, clearly people are using slightly differing definitions of words here, ignoring that definition and then fighting about what it implies is meaningless.

I can create a hard fork of Bitcoin in a few minutes (tweak some params, change difficultly for that tweak, recompile , mine a block, and we have a hard fork).. it means nothing. The level of support and consensus is what is important.

I can certainly agree with the bolded sentence. And we don't know the level of support and consensus until the experiment is run. Fact is, in roughly coterminous timeframes, all Bitcoiners will be forced to choose between: Change A to Bitcoin; or Change B to Bitcoin. No option for Unchanged Bitcoin. So get off your high horse. If one is an alt before the fact, then so is the other.

Cheers!
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2017, 06:51:55 AM

I can certainly agree with the bolded sentence. And we don't know the level of support and consensus until the experiment is run. Fact is, in roughly coterminous timeframes, all Bitcoiners will be forced to choose between: Change A to Bitcoin; or Change B to Bitcoin. No option for Unchanged Bitcoin. So get off your high horse. If one is an alt before the fact, then so is the other.

Cheers!

AFAIK LTC was such a HF ?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10225

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 07:02:35 AM

You've let a single guy from china take control over the network, you've let him dictate the terms of your surrender, even if its just accepting the 2x HF in November.

Who is "you?"  Sounds like nonsense.  There are a lot of people in this space, and maybe you have identified part of the problem with some of the egos that seem to want to be "influential" in this decentralized space
Totscha

Activity: 1276
Merit: 622

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 07:10:05 AM

AFAIK LTC was such a HF ?

Not even close. LTC is a separate chain with a different POW algo.
fluidjax

Activity: 750
Merit: 601

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 07:27:59 AM

I think the naming of Coins (is it an Altcoin, Bitcoin, or a Bitcoin derivative) is a tricky thing.
My gut reaction is to say:
1) Anything thing that forks with minority hashing power is an altcoin
2) Anything that forks with a majority of hash power is still bitcoin

But this creates problems because
1) What happens if the altcoin (minority hash power chain) later becomes the majority chain, do we relabel it.
2) This gives miners all the power to name what is Bitcoin, as users, businesses, exchanges (the majority) don't we get a say.

Because there are no pre-defined rules for any of this, only consensus, there is no escape from constantly fighting off hijack attempts by a vocal minority.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 08:16:34 AM

Cheers!
Is there going to be a BCC fork no matter what conditions?  I heard some people say that it would only be if UASF split off or something?  I am a bit out of the loop.
luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 08:18:28 AM

i heard segwit is a trojan horse from illuminatis to take over bitcoin
Pages: « 1 ... 17203 17204 17205 17206 17207 17208 17209 17210 17211 17212 17213 17214 17215 17216 17217 17218 17219 17220 17221 17222 17223 17224 17225 17226 17227 17228 17229 17230 17231 17232 17233 17234 17235 17236 17237 17238 17239 17240 17241 17242 17243 17244 17245 17246 17247 17248 17249 17250 17251 17252 [17253] 17254 17255 17256 17257 17258 17259 17260 17261 17262 17263 17264 17265 17266 17267 17268 17269 17270 17271 17272 17273 17274 17275 17276 17277 17278 17279 17280 17281 17282 17283 17284 17285 17286 17287 17288 17289 17290 17291 17292 17293 17294 17295 17296 17297 17298 17299 17300 17301 17302 17303 ... 33333 »
  Print  

Jump to: