May 05, 2024, 06:08:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 17570 17571 17572 17573 17574 17575 17576 17577 17578 17579 17580 17581 17582 17583 17584 17585 17586 17587 17588 17589 17590 17591 17592 17593 17594 17595 17596 17597 17598 17599 17600 17601 17602 17603 17604 17605 17606 17607 17608 17609 17610 17611 17612 17613 17614 17615 17616 17617 17618 17619 [17620] 17621 17622 17623 17624 17625 17626 17627 17628 17629 17630 17631 17632 17633 17634 17635 17636 17637 17638 17639 17640 17641 17642 17643 17644 17645 17646 17647 17648 17649 17650 17651 17652 17653 17654 17655 17656 17657 17658 17659 17660 17661 17662 17663 17664 17665 17666 17667 17668 17669 17670 ... 33323 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26372250 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:03:09 AM

This guy accidentally flashes his stash and everybody loses their shit. Grin I guess all the whales are over here.

9 BTC ? What a poor.

The U.S Bureau of the Census has the annual real median personal income at $30,240 in 2015.

9 BTC is a fair amount over that.

Well, it certainly beats my stash!  Cheesy That's what I get for being a dabbler. However, I do make slightly more per year than 9 BTC. But with the way things have been looking lately, 9 BTC will surpass my yearly job income very soon. Yeah, I know, I'm languishing in near poverty.

I didn't mean to imply I'm any better off. But it's important to keep your composure around rich folks.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:19:29 AM

Well, it certainly beats my stash!  Cheesy That's what I get for being a dabbler. However, I do make slightly more per year than 9 BTC. But with the way things have been looking lately, 9 BTC will surpass my yearly job income very soon. Yeah, I know, I'm languishing in near poverty.

I didn't mean to imply I'm any better off. But it's important to keep your composure around rich folks.

Most of the Bitcoin whales are Lower Upper class right now.( The nouveau riche.) No need to treat them like royalty.  Cheesy
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10211

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:29:22 AM

This guy accidentally flashes his stash and everybody loses their shit. Grin I guess all the whales are over here.

9 BTC ? What a poor.

The U.S Bureau of the Census has the annual real median personal income at $30,240 in 2015.

9 BTC is a fair amount over that.

When you say, "rich folks" are you referring to various WO participants?

hahahahahaha.

It is funny that people have their own level of "rich," and sometimes it is not good to engage in too much comparison.

Without mentioning exact relationship, I had introduced some folks into bitcoin, and they had varying levels of skepticism and even intentions to "one up me" in their approach to bitcoin, and I frequently asserted that you should never sell too many of your bitcoin, and we mentioned goals of possibly getting to 21 bitcoin, and things like that - however, even very prudent folks have tendencies to blow too much of their wadd at various times

I had one person who kept teasing me about Bitcoin NOT going above $3k, and my theory was that once it goes past $3k, then pretty much is not going to stop until at least $3.4k; however, as you may recall we had a few false starts, and the last time, we approached $3k, I sent a text saying that I think that we are going above $3k this time.. and gosh, we have not seen sub $3k since and I had not heard from that person because I believe that she sold most, if not all her coins in the mid $2600 arena - and part of the goal is to buy back lower, but if the price never goes back to those prices, then the person has egg on her face again... for like the 5th time when I continued to say, don't sell all of your stash, blah blah blah.

I tend to think that I am gambling pretty big if I buy or sell 3% of my stash at once, and I have met several people (in spit of my assertions of incrementalism) who continue to know better than me and sell their stash with "plans to buy back lower"... fuck.. I feel kind of bad, but I cannot really do anything about what seems to be an "intuition" that people have.. which has left them without bitcoins....

I think that bitcoin went into a punishing phase sometime after that last major dip to $890.. because none of the corrections have really been to such an extent to motivate folks to buy back in, especially when they sold much lower than the price correction point, so those of us who have engaged in incrementalism have been rewarded beyond our wildest dreams, over and over, and especially since about $890, as long as we continued to engage in incrementalism.

TeeBone

Activity: 502
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:30:28 AM

Gold's itching to take off, stars could be aligning for a new bull run. Lotta kreyzi shit going on in da werld.
infofront (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:30:55 AM

Most of the Bitcoin whales are Lower Upper class right now.( The nouveau riche.) No need to treat them like royalty.  Cheesy

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:36:46 AM

Define a bitcoin whale (aka nouveau riche)?  above 1000 coins (that would be nearly $4.5 million in BTC)? or some other lower number?

I believe that there are a few regular WO participants who are in the 100 coin territory, and they may or may not engage in too much trading of their coins... surely they are not whales, right?  Not even baby whales despite the fact that their 100 coins (about $1/2 million) could move BTC prices, temporarily - for about 5 minutes, perhaps?

these 100 coin folks are sitting pretty comfortable - and likely in a decent place in the coming years, as long as they can hold onto their coins - perhaps 10 years, perhaps less.  Yeah, right, there are some folks, including masterluc who are predicting another 3x price increase in this run - which is quite possible, but still only puts the 100 coin hodler in the $1.5 million of BTC richness, which is still not a whale, right?  but maybe getting closer to baby whale status, right?

bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:42:40 AM

Define a bitcoin whale (aka nouveau riche)?  above 1000 coins (that would be nearly $4.5 million in BTC)? or some other lower number?

I believe that there are a few regular WO participants who are in the 100 coin territory, and they may or may not engage in too much trading of their coins... surely they are not whales, right?  Not even baby whales despite the fact that their 100 coins (about $1/2 million) could move BTC prices, temporarily - for about 5 minutes, perhaps?

these 100 coin folks are sitting pretty comfortable - and likely in a decent place in the coming years, as long as they can hold onto their coins - perhaps 10 years, perhaps less.  Yeah, right, there are some folks, including masterluc who are predicting another 3x price increase in this run - which is quite possible, but still only puts the 100 coin hodler in the $1.5 million of BTC richness, which is still not a whale, right?  but maybe getting closer to baby whale status, right?

I was thinking in the range of 1000 + coins to be a Bitcoin whale. 100 Coins is more like a dolphin. Me, a minnow. Grin
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2017, 03:43:16 AM

I think the distinguishing characterisric to denote being "rich" is the source of income. Most people get their wealth through income. The rich mainly derive it from their investments. The choice of what to invest in thus affects society more than someone pulling an income.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:51:06 AM

The story is that he lost 700000 XMR worth about 20500 XBT on his Apple laptop. I am not a fan of Apple and its EULA's but this has to be a record for a click on "I agree".

Edit: I used GNU/Linux on a laptop that I bought from a surplus government auction to make this post .
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 04:21:41 AM

I think the distinguishing characterisric to denote being "rich" is the source of income. Most people get their wealth through income. The rich mainly derive it from their investments. The choice of what to invest in thus affects society more than someone pulling an income.

Actually many of the rich start out by living well below their means as middle class or working class. They forgo a lot of useless consumer junk and generate surplus capital. This surplus capital allows them to take measured risks and build wealth. In many cases the secret to wealth lies in the expense rather than the income side of the ledger. People who flaunt their "wealth" by surrounding themselves with expensive consumer items are more often than not deep in debt rather than wealthy. There is a great book on this subject called The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko. It was published in 1996. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Millionaire_Next_Door
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 04:23:17 AM

I was thinking in the range of 1000 + coins to be a Bitcoin whale. 100 Coins is more like a dolphin. Me, a minnow. Grin

I know that you and I have had variations of this kind of a conversation, and so I understand some of your personal circumstances - and surely, I believe that you had some bearish views about bitcoin that likely mentally prevented you from putting a bit more fiat into bitcoin.... and cannot really change those kinds of facts or even influence hindsight being 20/20.

Accordingly, there is only so much of our own cashflow that each of us can risk in terms of investment or dedication to investment - yet I am leading up to the point that anyone can be "rich" so long as they find ways to stress living within their means - and therefore dedicating a portion of their cashflow towards investment - and in hindsight we see that Bitcoin has proven to be a really great investment to turn previous minnows into dolphins - not by causing them to accumulate more coins, but instead allowing for a 10x or more increase in their BTC wealth, so long as they were able to hang onto a large majority of their coins through such BTC price appreciation process.

For example, the upwards BTC price pressure seems to be ongoing and in a kind of bullish status.. for those who can see it... Yeah, you never fucking know which way the market is going to go, and no one really wants to buy after the price has already done nearly a 19x in less than 2 years... but I am still of the inclination to believe that upwards price pressures are ongoing and the steepness of our upwards price movement, even though increasingly vertical has not yet gotten overheated... maybe I am wrong?  maybe I am wrong?  however, I am inclined to think that there could be another upwards burst - and sure maybe I should sell a few more coins in the next upwards burst - but it remains less than transparent, whether the bursts are over (seems less likely), we gonna get one more burst of 30% or so from here (seems decently likely), we gonna get another burst of 50% or more from here (fair chances to happen), we gonna get 100% appreciation from here (getting less likely to happen in this run) or gonna get another 3x to 4x from here (seems within the realm of plausibility but a bit of a long shot).
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2017, 04:31:51 AM

Actually many of the rich start out by living well below their means as middle class or working class. They forgo a lot of useless consumer junk and generate surplus capital. This surplus capital allows them to take measured risks and build wealth. In many cases the secret to wealth lies in the expense rather than the income side of the ledger. People who flaunt their "wealth" by surrounding themselves with expensive consumer items are more often than not deep in debt rather than wealthy. There is a great book on this subject called The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko. It was published in 1996. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Millionaire_Next_Door

That is a strategy on becoming rich. Not what defines what is rich.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2017, 04:33:27 AM

The article mentions an announcement on bitcointalk. Any idea where that thread is?
elrippos friend

Activity: 1179
Merit: 210

only hodl what you understand and love!

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 04:45:03 AM

Good old Risto  Roll Eyes Grin
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:03:03 AM

The article mentions an announcement on bitcointalk. Any idea where that thread is?

At some point, BTC-e announced that people should watch out for scams, and that they would only post on twitter or through their bitcointalk account.  Mostly the twitter linked each of BTC-e's announcements after the shut down of the BTC-e site. 

This one is linking to bitcointalk chats:

https://twitter.com/btcecom
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:28:51 AM

You might find the following spreadsheet so amusing and so interesting!
Bitcoin is becoming a giant among others
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TWKh5qfrvXywRV0jhTKjiK6LZTU8BkUbMhSvqqGeZ_8/pubhtml#
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:57:30 AM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TWKh5qfrvXywRV0jhTKjiK6LZTU8BkUbMhSvqqGeZ_8/pubhtml#

It says 'error' on the line of crypto currencies.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 07:06:42 AM

It says 'error' on the line of crypto currencies.

Sorry man, not my fault: it's not my spreadsheet. I hope the author will update, it's probably missing the corresponding data sources.  Roll Eyes
But Bitcoin is there and it works Wink
olseh

Activity: 128
Merit: 9

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 08:10:57 AM

The story is that he lost 700000 XMR worth about 20500 XBT on his Apple laptop. I am not a fan of Apple and its EULA's but this has to be a record for a click on "I agree".

Edit: I used GNU/Linux on a laptop that I bought from a surplus government auction to make this post .

How did he lose it all? Did the laptop get stolen? I've heard that he lost it all but never have learned how... regardless, that's crazy!
ghandi

Activity: 569
Merit: 505

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 08:22:38 AM

Wall at Kraken with ~100BTC @ 4011€ gets eaten up, bite by bite Cheesy
Pages: « 1 ... 17570 17571 17572 17573 17574 17575 17576 17577 17578 17579 17580 17581 17582 17583 17584 17585 17586 17587 17588 17589 17590 17591 17592 17593 17594 17595 17596 17597 17598 17599 17600 17601 17602 17603 17604 17605 17606 17607 17608 17609 17610 17611 17612 17613 17614 17615 17616 17617 17618 17619 [17620] 17621 17622 17623 17624 17625 17626 17627 17628 17629 17630 17631 17632 17633 17634 17635 17636 17637 17638 17639 17640 17641 17642 17643 17644 17645 17646 17647 17648 17649 17650 17651 17652 17653 17654 17655 17656 17657 17658 17659 17660 17661 17662 17663 17664 17665 17666 17667 17668 17669 17670 ... 33323 »
  Print  

Jump to: