7/21 - 1 (3.8%)
7/28 - 2 (7.7%)
8/4 - 5 (19.2%)
8/11 - 2 (7.7%)
8/18 - 1 (3.8%)
8/25 - 1 (3.8%)
After August - 14 (53.8%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: « 1 ... 7456 7457 7458 7459 7460 7461 7462 7463 7464 7465 7466 7467 7468 7469 7470 7471 7472 7473 7474 7475 7476 7477 7478 7479 7480 7481 7482 7483 7484 7485 7486 7487 7488 7489 7490 7491 7492 7493 7494 7495 7496 7497 7498 7499 7500 7501 7502 7503 7504 7505 [7506] 7507 7508 7509 7510 7511 7512 7513 7514 7515 7516 7517 7518 7519 7520 7521 7522 7523 7524 7525 7526 7527 7528 7529 7530 7531 7532 7533 7534 7535 7536 7537 7538 7539 7540 7541 7542 7543 7544 7545 7546 7547 7548 7549 7550 7551 7552 7553 7554 7555 7556 ... 33533 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26415514 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 08:23:52 PM

I don't think upside down 'cup and handle' really means anything
Well, I asked here, some weeks ago, whether the TA patterns are suposed to be symmetrical -- that is, if pattern XYZ on the logscale plot suggests that the price will go up (or down), then the same pattern but upside-down suggests that the price will go down (resp. up).   

The conclusion, if I recall correctly, is that it depends on whom you ask that question to.  Cheesy
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 10495

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 08:41:17 PM

Looking out for a cup and handle pattern to form on the 6h charts (should reach 620 sometime the first 8 days of august)

Could be the beginning of a bubble after that
Isn't there an upside-down "cup and handle" from May/30 to Jun/26?

Don't be using reality to rain on our potential parade!!!    Tongue
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 08:47:05 PM

I checked the history of the 6h MACD on bitstamp and I can say it's been very loyal lately!!
I really recommend buying now!

The MACD is never wrong! It is our faithful companion in otherwise stormy waters, we call the Bitcoin price!
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:00:00 PM

Explanation
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:00:11 PM

I don't think upside down 'cup and handle' really means anything
Well, I asked here, some weeks ago, whether the TA patterns are suposed to be symmetrical -- that is, if pattern XYZ on the logscale plot suggests that the price will go up (or down), then the same pattern but upside-down suggests that the price will go down (resp. up).   

The conclusion, if I recall correctly, is that it depends on whom you ask that question to.  Cheesy

In pairs trading, the inverse of one pair is just another pair.  However, if you think the USDBTC pair, it trades more like a stock market, with long slow upward grinds when the USD is in a bull market, punctuated by short, sharp downward plunges when the USD is in a bear market.  This observation suggests that patterns applicable to shares markets might be better applied inversely in BTC.  Patterns which apply well to shares markets ambidextrously should apply well to BTC ambidextrously, and patterns which apply well only chirally, should best apply chirally.

Newbie1022

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:16:19 PM

I don't think we are done going down quite yet. There hasn't really been a substantial expansion of the base, leveraging is being reined back in (and is abut to pop), sentiments aren't so rosy, and the order book, notwithstanding seeming stacked for lift-off, keeps falling apart at the whiff of a downdraft. Also, the manipulators are trying to move the centerline of expectations so that when they enter a bigger position into the market they can do it on the cheap. It's not all bearish, but don't expect a lot for a while.
Newbie1022

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:20:49 PM

I don't think we are done going down quite yet. There hasn't really been a substantial expansion of the base, leveraging is being reined back in (and is abut to pop), sentiments aren't so rosy, and the order book, notwithstanding seeming stacked for lift-off, keeps falling apart at the whiff of a downdraft. Also, the manipulators are trying to move the centerline of expectations so that when they enter a bigger position into the market they can do it on the cheap. It's not all bearish, but don't expect a lot for a while.

Put another way... feel free to buy (you don't have to find the absolute bottom if you think we are there or close enough), but realize that the market has been more screwy than normal and don't bet the farm one way or another.
esse83

Activity: 545

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:25:47 PM

Seems like a lot of people here ignore the reality of what MtGox did. They created the price, and guess what? It was inflated for years through manipulation. Sorry.. but the truth is that btc is not worth that much. Over time you guys will see that. I find no joy in saying this, but its true.

Quote from the willy report.

Mt. Gox was always, always, the first mover. BTC China seemed to react within 1 or 2 minutes, sometimes leading to a higher proportional rise in price, sure, but it was NEVER the first mover. In my eyes, this means Mt. Gox and not BTC China was leading the market.
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:32:17 PM

Seems like a lot of people here ignore the reality of what MtGox did. They created the price, and guess what? It was inflated for years through manipulation. Sorry.. but the truth is that btc is not worth that much. Over time you guys will see that. I find no joy in saying this, but its true.

Mt. Gox was always, always, the first mover. BTC China seemed to react within 1 or 2 minutes, sometimes leading to a higher proportional rise in price, sure, but it was NEVER the first mover. In my eyes, this means Mt. Gox and not BTC China was leading the market.

Hasn't the whole Willy theory been debunked before? I mean, there are so many good arguments against it. I'm no expert by all means, but those people familiar with the Willy theory say that it isn't Willy who led the Bitcoin price.
esse83

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:37:22 PM

Hasn't the whole Willy theory been debunked before? I mean, there are so many good arguments against it. I'm no expert by all means, but those people familiar with the Willy theory say that it isn't Willy who led the Bitcoin price.

I have yet to see any good arguments against this report. The worst one was that it was somehow a private API that bought hundres of thousands of btc. They ran a ponzi scheme for years. Do you honestly think btc price would be in the hundreds if it was not for MtGox? The perception that bitcoin is this crazy train with bubbles was manifactured by MtGox. In reality it never was.
esse83

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:45:16 PM

This is the latest update from the willy report, please read it.

I want to start off by saying I agree with a lot of the criticism on this article that’s appeared the Web; my conclusions were a bit too opinionated and perhaps exaggerated, and didn’t really fit the tone of the rest of the report, which was intended to be an objective account of my findings. I’ve corrected that with this update. Still, I stand by the most significant conclusion made: Willy was the cause for the November bubble. Sure, it didn’t do it all by itself, but it was the catalyst, and prevented price from coming down by effectively removing all selling pressure with its extremely constant buying (why market sell when you can place an ask order, and know it will be eaten into anyway?). In financial markets, sentiment is driven by price, much more so than the other way around. People see price skyrocketing, get euphoric, forget all the negative and assume the asset must be something absolutely amazing for people to place so much value in it (that, or they see an opportunity to “get rich quick”). It gets media attention, and sparks this whole positive feedback loop thing. A classic bubble in every way, really; but something has to light the fire, and subsequently prevent it from petering out.

Willy was the cause for the November bubble. So yeah, there it is.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:53:36 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2014, 10:06:45 PM by aminorex

Monkey thinks there is a chance that we are up 10 in 8hrs, continues to see the ceiling as 602, the floor as 577 (but weak).

On a daily chart, monkey thinks we are experiencing an atypical bottoming process and recommends a long bias, but it could take until the weekend to prove the turn.

On a weekly chart, monkey has gone from bullish to ambivalent.  He seems to think we need a shallow dip yet before any fireworks.

Sandia

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:59:11 PM

I think the major criticism was this: incomplete, possibly tampered with, trading records were released by a hacking group.  It was complete with malware installed.

Based on a post by some guy on the internet and what he says are in these hacked records, people claim that there was no bubble without buys from a Gox bot.

We are not exactly talking about a peer-reviewed paper.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 10:07:22 PM

And it's slowly looking at the top and it is trying to get there Smiley
Maybe this summer heat is too much to climb up there.

A little sweat will be needed Smiley

Regards.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:13:49 PM

I want to start off by saying I agree with a lot of the criticism on this article that’s appeared the Web; my conclusions were a bit too opinionated and perhaps exaggerated, and didn’t really fit the tone of the rest of the report, which was intended to be an objective account of my findings. I’ve corrected that with this update. Still, I stand by the most significant conclusion made: Willy was the cause for the November bubble. Sure, it didn’t do it all by itself, but it was the catalyst, and prevented price from coming down by effectively removing all selling pressure with its extremely constant buying (why market sell when you can place an ask order, and know it will be eaten into anyway?). In financial markets, sentiment is driven by price, much more so than the other way around. People see price skyrocketing, get euphoric, forget all the negative and assume the asset must be something absolutely amazing for people to place so much value in it (that, or they see an opportunity to “get rich quick”). It gets media attention, and sparks this whole positive feedback loop thing. A classic bubble in every way, really; but something has to light the fire, and subsequently prevent it from petering out.

This update doesn't add anything new and still doesn't show any proof whatsoever.

Also, the primacy of Gox is not true. Especially during the last bubble to $1200 Gox was becoming less and less relevant and with pathetic volume, while the chinese at BTC China started throwing hundreds of thousands into BTC.

Some argue that the major cause of the november bubble was basically the chinese and their trillion dollar shadow currency speculation game finally entering the BTC market, but no, now we are supposed to believe that a single bot on a single exchange with dead volume compared to Bitstamp was the major cause just because some dude on the internet without concrete proof (at least for his conclusions) told us so.

Maybe the BTC price IS a bubble and will collapse, but for other reasons (chinese pumping and dumping it, various problems, early adopters exiting etc) not because of a single bot on a single exchange.
DjPxH

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:34:04 PM

Gox is not true. Especially during the last bubble to $1200 Gox was becoming less and less relevant and with pathetic volume, while the chinese at BTC China started throwing hundreds of thousands into BTC.

I have my doubts about the Willy report as well, but concerning the volume: It doesn't matter if the volume was rather low or the volume only accounted for 8% or whatever of coins traded on Mt. Gox because if Willy really only ever bought coins, it wouldn't drive the volume up that much. Coins get sold and re-sold and re-sold over and over again. If Willy is simply buying, that low volume is enough to push the price up.
If this should really be true... Wouldn't we now sit on a vastly inflated bitcoin price that is about to collapse at any time?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:40:12 PM

This update doesn't add anything new and still doesn't show any proof whatsoever.

Also, the primacy of Gox is not true. Especially during the last bubble to $1200 Gox was becoming less and less relevant and with pathetic volume, while the chinese at BTC China started throwing hundreds of thousands into BTC.

Some argue that the major cause of the november bubble was basically the chinese and their trillion dollar shadow currency speculation game finally entering the BTC market, but no, now we are supposed to believe that a single bot on a single exchange with dead volume compared to Bitstamp was the major cause just because some dude on the internet without concrete proof (at least for his conclusions) told us so.

Maybe the BTC price IS a bubble and will collapse, but for other reasons (chinese pumping and dumping it, various problems, early adopters exiting etc) not because of a single bot on a single exchange.

Yep!!!!!   The Willybot theory of BTC price bubbles remains way too simplistic.  There have been a lot of causes for these various bubbles over the years, and there is considerable potential that willybot may have contributed towards a November 2013 bubble, but that does NOT mean BTC in November 2013 should have stayed at $100-ish.  Maybe BTC prices should have only gone up to $800?  In any event, trying to ascribe the behavior(s) of a multitude of persons and institutions to one bot, seems like fantasy-land in the making.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:46:02 PM

Gox is not true. Especially during the last bubble to $1200 Gox was becoming less and less relevant and with pathetic volume, while the chinese at BTC China started throwing hundreds of thousands into BTC.

I have my doubts about the Willy report as well, but concerning the volume: It doesn't matter if the volume was rather low or the volume only accounted for 8% or whatever of coins traded on Mt. Gox because if Willy really only ever bought coins, it wouldn't drive the volume up that much. Coins get sold and re-sold and re-sold over and over again. If Willy is simply buying, that low volume is enough to push the price up.
If this should really be true... Wouldn't we now sit on a vastly inflated bitcoin price that is about to collapse at any time?

I understand that this is a BTC speculation thread; however, you are speculating too much without specifics.  give us some specifics.   Possibly Willy caused a certain amount of BTC price inflation; however, that potential price inflation would dissipate over time, no?  If we were at 20% price inflation in November 2013, does it follow that we would still be at 20% price inflation - likely NOT...... give some numbers to support your speculation in order to make it meaningful - otherwise you are just spreading and/or encouraging the spreading of near baseless FUD.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:59:35 PM

How and Why to Build an Unbanked Bitcoin ATM

...in which I combine electrical engineering, economy theory, and trading strategies.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:00:00 PM

Explanation
Pages: « 1 ... 7456 7457 7458 7459 7460 7461 7462 7463 7464 7465 7466 7467 7468 7469 7470 7471 7472 7473 7474 7475 7476 7477 7478 7479 7480 7481 7482 7483 7484 7485 7486 7487 7488 7489 7490 7491 7492 7493 7494 7495 7496 7497 7498 7499 7500 7501 7502 7503 7504 7505 [7506] 7507 7508 7509 7510 7511 7512 7513 7514 7515 7516 7517 7518 7519 7520 7521 7522 7523 7524 7525 7526 7527 7528 7529 7530 7531 7532 7533 7534 7535 7536 7537 7538 7539 7540 7541 7542 7543 7544 7545 7546 7547 7548 7549 7550 7551 7552 7553 7554 7555 7556 ... 33533 »
  Print  

Jump to: