Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:09:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First Asic for SIA - Obelisk SC1  (Read 29189 times)
ekrififi (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 12:47:06 AM

Pretty good article about SiaCoin

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/08/investors-poured-millions-into-a-storage-network-that-doesnt-exist/
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rummy

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 02:47:52 AM

ok, thanks for the replies. I'm still planning on getting a couple of the miners but holding out for a bit longer right now.
Kanine Awe

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 02:58:49 AM

Hopefully SIA goes up, but with so many people having a ton from dual mining with ETH I think it will get dumped hard before it can go up.
dazbog835

Activity: 132

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 09:19:22 AM

What do you think is the biggest thing that sets sia apart from its competition? I've tried Storj. It seems more intuitive to share storage space. However, I think they might be focused on different clients?
Bibi187

Activity: 420
Merit: 106

https://steemit.com/@bibi187

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2017, 12:13:43 PM

What do you think is the biggest thing that sets sia apart from its competition? I've tried Storj. It seems more intuitive to share storage space. However, I think they might be focused on different clients?

U are right, the UI interface is more friendly with Storj, just some frond end dev. Sia will be a more more secure network, but i agree with dual miner a lot of ppl just dump, so SIA have a long road to do ... I gona buy one of this asic in end on 2017, not sure about this.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 02:05:05 PM

Hopefully SIA goes up, but with so many people having a ton from dual mining with ETH I think it will get dumped hard before it can go up.

It's already being dumped since BTC on the rise, I'm waiting for it to bottom out so I can buy a bunch more Cheesy
themonkii

Activity: 672
Merit: 124

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2017, 02:30:06 PM

Anyone care to comment on why Siacoin is down to almost 100 satoshi while Storj is soaring up over a dollar fifty.

Sia has taken a beating over the last week or so, a lot of it is due to a few comments from the Dev team regarding their opinion on the value of SC, and their wish to see it remain "stable". One could read it as a good thing, but many of us viewed it as indifference towards their investors, and those of us who were mining to secure the network.

I wont make this a long winded response, but it does come from someone who mined, holds, and was close to pulling the trigger on 2 or 3 obelisks (their ASIC miner) that is currently in presale.

I ultimately pulled back on all but the holding front due to them making these public blunders, and it has had a real negative effect on the price. If you would like more info, I suggest reading more on their Reddit page.

I think a lot of people are loosing faith in the teams ability to operate this project as a business, not just a project. They desperately require a proficient PR team that could turn these missed opportunities into positives. I became increasingly frustrated when I witnessed the team piss away a great chance to gain traction with their Pre-sale trainwreck (people now asking for refunds) (only selling under 1/2 their expectations), coupled with the public blunders when it comes to discussing SC value, and giving the impression that they're a bunch of kids working in an apartment.

I still believe the technology is awesome, they have 2 years on Filecoin, but they need to get their act together and start giving consideration to the miners/investors.

Genesis Network - GENX Payment Ecosystem  ☑ No ICO☑ No Premine☑ Fair Launch
Equihash 192_7 PoW─[ Maturity-Based Masternodes ]─ ANN Twitter Discord Reddit      
GitHub Pools Explorer Infographics ● ────[ ForumExchanges ]──── ●
sevenmiles

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 02:33:12 PM

Anyone care to comment on why Siacoin is down to almost 100 satoshi while Storj is soaring up over a dollar fifty.

Sia has taken a beating over the last week or so, a lot of it is due to a few comments from the Dev team regarding their opinion on the value of SC, and their wish to see it remain "stable". One could read it as a good thing, but many of us viewed it as indifference towards their investors, and those of us who were mining to secure the network.

I wont make this a long winded response, but it does come from someone who mined, holds, and was close to pulling the trigger on 2 or 3 obelisks (their ASIC miner) that is currently in presale.

I ultimately pulled back on all but the holding front due to them making these public blunders, and it has had a real negative effect on the price. If you would like more info, I suggest reading more on their Reddit page.

I think a lot of people are loosing faith in the teams ability to operate this project as a business, not just a project. They desperately require a proficient PR team that could turn these missed opportunities into positives. I became increasingly frustrated when I witnessed the team piss away a great chance to gain traction with their Pre-sale trainwreck (people now asking for refunds) (only selling under 1/2 their expectations), coupled with the public blunders when it comes to discussing SC value, and giving the impression that they're a bunch of kids working in an apartment.

I still believe the technology is awesome, they have 2 years on Filecoin, but they need to get their act together and start giving consideration to the miners/investors.

Maybe it's just bcoz that the dev team is taking vacation? Tongue
as business perspective, they are now backed by VCs, so i guess the situation would get better as time goes by? But i do agree that their communication especially over the asic, sucks

themonkii

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2017, 03:09:28 PM

Maybe it's just bcoz that the dev team is taking vacation? Tongue
as business perspective, they are now backed by VCs, so i guess the situation would get better as time goes by? But i do agree that their communication especially over the asic, sucks

The VC funding is great, with news like that, one would expect the price to go up? Further, high profile articles come out stating how great the technology is, again the price should go up. The problem is, in both of these instances, their price went down - all due to ineptness in handling the situation properly.

The VC money can fix this, the question becomes do they fix it?

dazbog835

Activity: 132

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 09:56:36 PM

But isn't having a stable coin a good thing? A slow but constant growth connected with the growth of the network...

I don't know. This isn't bitcoin. It's supposed to be a service coin. I think the idea of having a steady, stable coin is pretty sound.
ekrififi (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 03:43:18 AM

But isn't having a stable coin a good thing? A slow but constant growth connected with the growth of the network...

I don't know. This isn't bitcoin. It's supposed to be a service coin. I think the idea of having a steady, stable coin is pretty sound.

Well, price stability is "nice" and all, but it's not a guarantee of future prosperity. The price of a coin is determined by the whims of whoever is holding /buying /selling a coin at any given time. Sometimes those fluctuations are based on logic and reason, other times those fluctuations are nonsensical and arbitrary.

Crypto currency is such a new, undeveloped asset class that volatility is par for the course. Even bitcoin was half its current value a month ago.

If crypto currency survives in general, then a lot of cryptos with real game plans, engaged dev teams, solid tech etc should appreciate in price over time... but there are no guarantees.

SiaCoin Obelisks (assuming they get built and delivered) WILL secure the SiaCoin network. Right now, 2 or 3 Siacoin gpu mining pools COULD join forces and 51% attack their network. From my limited understanding... I think that would be a bad thing.

Network security doesn't GUARANTEE price appreciation, since a coin's price is based on the whims of whoever's trading at the time, but it's certainly a VERY good sign and indicative of a crypto on the go...

SIA MOON!!!
ekrififi (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 02:34:49 AM

Siacoin's releasing a Lite wallet in a few days.

http://wallet.luxor.tech/

I don't know how or if this will effect the coin's price in the short term, BUT it's this type of development and activity that makes me a SiaCoin believer in the long term.

They seem to be making these advancements all the time, that will really pay off over time. They haven't made a huge oush in marketing, but I think they're keeping their powder dry till their infrastructure is set up.

themonkii

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2017, 03:13:15 AM

good luck with that. I've dumped all of my SIA

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 04:57:20 AM

good luck with that. I've dumped all of my SIA

heh, well my gamble is with the Obelisk SC-1 miner ... on the other hand...equipment drought at this time in 2017
that makes sense to get...thus 50% pay IRS or take that 50% get 4 units....with an additional 25% off in real
$$$ towards taxes off gross income. Thus for 25% more risk than just giving $$$ to IRS, went with 4 of these.

MAYBE, not my wisest move....but some of these units may be moving, for the same reason.

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
rummy

Activity: 86

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 12:30:36 AM

Pretty good article if your looking to maybe expand investment into Sia Network ontop of miners.

Create Your Own Low-Cost Cloud Storage App with Sia and Nextcloud

https://mtlynch.io/sia-nextcloud/
hanskan

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 02:07:13 AM

The whole process is quite complicated for a "normal person" and that is a huge problem even though the price you have to pay for 1TB storage is more than 10x cheaper. Hopefully with time they come up with simple drag and drop solution otherwise i can't see this thing going to the moon.
ekrififi (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 10:36:12 PM

The whole process is quite complicated for a "normal person" and that is a huge problem even though the price you have to pay for 1TB storage is more than 10x cheaper. Hopefully with time they come up with simple drag and drop solution otherwise i can't see this thing going to the moon.

Thing is - that is actually entirely optional for them, and if they continue doing the core shit right (decentralized storage that's secure & reliable, and providing robust means to use it, most notably an API), they won't even need to. Other people will. They'll see the incredible resource that Sia is - and the tech people, the devs, and the power users are gonna build atop it, not the grandmas. The grandmas will be using some random service that probably has made it big... but Sia will be the backend for that shit, and that will matter.

That sounds about right to me. I mean there are tons of companies with tons of IT personnel  that I think would gladly suffer the user-unfriendly interface to save 25-50 percent on data storage.

Not to mention all of the companies that can act as middle men between grandmas and the Sia network...

I think the REAL reason Sia's interface isn't very user friendly is the same reason their marketing is lackluster: They haven't focused on it YET.

All of their moves, improvements, updates etc have been about Sia's infrastructure, it's scalability. What they've done so far has been pretty impressive, and if these Obelisks are real / get delivered, SiaCoin will be one of FOUR coins with an Asic secured blockchain.

Do any of us REALLY think that Siacoin won't make it to the moon because they can't make a nice interface? I mean for real tho. Is that what we're saying? They raised millions to secure their network with asics, they established a functioning marketplace of decentralized data storage, they're  releasing updates and new features all the time... BUT they got done in because they couldn't make something LOOK nice?

Idk. Maybe I take interface development for granted. I'm sure (like anything else) it's hard to do well... but i mean... come onnnnnn!!!
ekrififi (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 10:47:37 PM

Just got a notice that Sia is moving their correspondance from Slack to Discord.

https://discord.gg/sFCT3Ar

Not sure why. I've never used discord before... to be honest, i Barely used Slack...
cryptotore

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 06:48:30 PM

I just found out that the people behind Butterfly labs ASIC chips are the same producers as for the Obelisk.
I might be wrong here tho, just looking for opinions!

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/List_of_Bitcoin_mining_ASICs

"Butterfly Labs, Inc.
Facilitators: Chronicle Tech (now Custom Silicon Solutions)"

Thoughts?
JFry83

Activity: 59

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 08:07:56 PM

Can anybody tell me how profitable is to mine with such ASIC? Because SIA is a strange altcoin. Is it real to return money in some 5-6 months?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: