Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:19:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First Asic for SIA - Obelisk SC1  (Read 29189 times)
REAL_MORPHEUS

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 10:03:15 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2018, 10:57:29 PM by REAL_MORPHEUS

Hi,

I'm waiting the Sia response because a guy from reddit post this link about the co-founder of Bitmain

https://twitter.com/jihanwu/status/704476839566135298?lang=en

Yes, it's just for Bitcoin but for the others coins

Wait & See

Ask and it will be:

https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/7r1xcv/11718_obelisk_core_commentary_on_bitmain_a3/

and official thread of Taek42 (SIA Dev)

https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/7r4spy/dev_team_thoughts_on_the_bitmain_a3/
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rummy

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 11:00:32 PM

The Obelisk was to long to market I think, almost a year was the reason I opted out.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:20:32 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2018, 12:34:55 AM by Searing

It's not over until it's over....

From SIA developers regarding Bitmain Asics...

We prepared for something like this by adding an extra feature to the SC1. We can do a soft-fork that slightly changes the PoW algorithm which would invalidate the bitmain ASICs, but allow the SC1 units to continue working.

Let the games begin!

this means war! Oh, Goodie. Gets popcorn!

BTW A3 was only sold 1 per customer. So they are most likely selling them in very small batches as to avoid situation with D3. Also good time for them to sell them during BTC dump.

And reason why they made this is cause Blake is one of x11 algos, thsu if they invested in making x11 machine making Blake one is trivial. Just because they can. If profitability is high expect ASIC's for alll Baikal-B algos.

Bitmain is likely doing what they always do..mining them first...so this was a taste just to show folk they exist....after bitmain mines their cut on these, they will then release

so expect an unexpected difficulty jump in siacoin..it will be bitmain..they have done this before (rinse/wash/repeat)

here is the link again of the sia tech saying they have an asic hook to keep bitmain in line (or others)

https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/7r1xcv/11718_obelisk_core_commentary_on_bitmain_a3/

we will see

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:19:45 AM

Siacoin was added to antpool, as of now 182 machines, 150 TH/s. It's happening...
rummy

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:42:30 AM

This new Antminer A3 miner appears to be a basis for Bitmain's entrance into a cryptocurrency which will support the massive off-site data storage requirements inherent in its AI operations.
btcneodev

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 07:37:50 AM

This new Antminer A3 miner appears to be a basis for Bitmain's entrance into a cryptocurrency which will support the massive off-site data storage requirements inherent in its AI operations.

Surprise me, this means that there will be an ASIC friendly algorithm soon. What are the popular coins that use blake2b?

EDIT: just noticed SIA is blake2b  Tongue I thought SIA with it's own new algo...
Haryuki

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 07:42:14 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2018, 08:34:27 AM by Haryuki

New Siacoin ASIC again

https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/7r6qlr/dragonmint_b52_blake2b_miner/

But an interesting information coming from SiaTeam in response of this announcement

"The specs are in line with our most optimistic simulations for the SC1. If we can get the chips to run at 0.5V, we'd be seeing around 3.3 TH/s per 1000w" from Taek42 Developer

The fight begins

REAL_MORPHEUS

Activity: 40

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 04:44:56 PM

New Siacoin ASIC again

But an interesting information coming from SiaTeam in response of this announcement

"The specs are in line with our most optimistic simulations for the SC1. If we can get the chips to run at 0.5V, we'd be seeing around 3.3 TH/s per 1000w" from Taek42 Developer

The fight begins

From my reading of Taek42's posts (sia dev)

Obelisk is unstable at 0.5V and stability is found at 0.6V delivering a 2.25 GH/w (833 GH total +/- 5%)
kurbeks

Activity: 1078
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 05:19:03 PM

Expect also Decred miner from Bitmain soon.
Haryuki

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:00:08 PM

New Siacoin ASIC again

The fight begins

From my reading of Taek42's posts (sia dev)

Obelisk is unstable at 0.5V and stability is found at 0.6V delivering a 2.25 GH/w (833 GH total +/- 5%)

Yes, I'm agree with you but Taek42 said in a thread about the DragonMint B52:

spilltime 1 point il y a 5 heures

I recall you mentioning that there were certain voltages that would make the chip unstable. When chips deliver will this be tested on or has it been ruled out that our SC1 chips cannot run at 0.5v?

perma-lienembedenregistrerparentsignalerrépondre

[–]
Taek42Developer 2 points il y a 2 heures

We will know in about 60 days if the chips run at 0.5V.

And another

surgingchaos 6 points il y a 12 heures

So... is my Obelisk going to turn into an expensive paperweight?

perma-lienembedenregistrersignalerrépondre

[–]
Taek42Developer 3 points il y a 2 heures

No, the Obelisk unit should still be relevent. The specs are much better than the A3 specs, and if we are able to clock the chips down all the way, they are also competitive with the Dragonmint specs. We will know more in about 60 days.

Wait & see again  Wink
dazbog835

Activity: 132

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:19:39 AM

so what would be your speculation on the profitability of the SC1 and the DCR1 once they come out? Let's assume it's in June. The Bitmain ASICs have been mining for about 5 months or so. Then the Obelisks enter the stage... what happens?
Also, I know the decred asic hasn't come out from bitmain yet, but one can assume they'll be coming, right?
kurbeks

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 03:30:43 PM

so what would be your speculation on the profitability of the SC1 and the DCR1 once they come out? Let's assume it's in June. The Bitmain ASICs have been mining for about 5 months or so. Then the Obelisks enter the stage... what happens?
Also, I know the decred asic hasn't come out from bitmain yet, but one can assume they'll be coming, right?

Pretty sure there will be one.
fanten

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

The Future of Global Copyright Registration

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 03:37:26 PM

It's not over until it's over....

From SIA developers regarding Bitmain Asics...

We prepared for something like this by adding an extra feature to the SC1. We can do a soft-fork that slightly changes the PoW algorithm which would invalidate the bitmain ASICs, but allow the SC1 units to continue working.

Let the games begin!

this means war! Oh, Goodie. Gets popcorn!

Is that mean obelisk will be a total useless even before they start shipping? Or there will be some times for obelisk to modify in order to mine the new POW algorithm?

Smile
kurbeks

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 04:00:00 PM

Doesnt mean it will be usless. Bitmain is shpping A3 in small batches. And probably wont do bit batch for one coin. Obelix just wont make $400 a day.
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 04:51:22 PM

I actually don't get the move from bitmain to make an asic for this .. the 11x market has lots of coins the blake market not nearly as many.
I guess they just hope to dump all their miners before people catch on that the market doesnt justify all these miners ?

the predicted miners from the Sia devs where limited in number leaving some meat on the bone with bitmain there wont be anything left after the first 2 batches like the  guy on the previous page said.

Ha, leaving some meat on the bone?  In their first batch they were trying to sell 10,000 of them, with no limit on the number you can buy.  2nd batch, another 10,000, still no limit.  If you think for a minute the Sia devs were thinking about the little guy you are sadly mistaken.    It was their stance that the more mining power out there, the better.  Of course they were saying this when they were the only ones selling a Sia ASIC.  Now their tune was changed.
bileq
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 05:45:20 PM

bitmain ripes obelisks miner with 1 announce. i dont know how they are making this asics within few months. obelisk announced and start pre-ordering asics (est. delivery date after 3month for each batch). but bitmain announced and start ordering which devices almost ready (est. delivery date 10day)
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 05:51:24 PM

bitmain ripes obelisks miner with 1 announce. i dont know how they are making this asics within few months. obelisk announced and start pre-ordering asics (est. delivery date after 3month for each batch). but bitmain announced and start ordering which devices almost ready (est. delivery date 10day)

When Sia rose to 700 sats against BTC that's when Bitmain decided to make the ASICs (well before the preorder). They've been working on this for some time kept the lid on tightly until now. Plus it's Bitmain - they could make a new algo today and they'de have the chip made before you finish typing a white paper. Nobody questions the companies success or efficiency - they are good at what they do. Their business practices on the other hand....
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:06:06 PM

It amazes me that so many people are ok with the Sia devs threatening to change the algo to prevent other companies from making an ASIC. This is much nastier market manipulation than people claim bitmain is trying to do. At least other altcoin devs that threaten to change their algo to keep it ASIC resistant arent at the same time trying to sell their own ASIC hardware.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:19:51 PM

It amazes me that so many people are ok with the Sia devs threatening to change the algo to prevent other companies from making an ASIC. This is much nastier market manipulation than people claim bitmain is trying to do. At least other altcoin devs that threaten to change their algo to keep it ASIC resistant arent at the same time trying to sell their own ASIC hardware.

sia tech was NEVER about the coin...it was about making an anon decentralized.....no gov't can look at....cloud storage platform at $1 to the $10 equiv price now of amazon cloud.

the asic machines were to be used for security of the network

the sia-tech folk often said the price of sia coin was JUST speculation..in that it was to be used for their network

even with the obelisks...there was a 25% inflation of sia coins PER MONTH

thus.....I see no issue with Sia Tech changing the algo to do the above ..the money to be made was in the decentralized storage methods above

the coin itself was needed to run this massive decentralized beast

(or at least why I got 5 1st batch units)

anyway, how I see it...the devs with the 'tweak' announcement also see it the same

the also said something about using USAF to decide this ultimately ONLY if bitmain plays games with the protocol (like they tried to hijack seg witness for litecoin protocol

as an example)

anyway, we will be the first to know...chump or champ...I'm always either a chump or a champ ...no in-between on my guesses with crypto

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
rummy

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 07:27:19 PM

Before you buy the A3, Halong Mining / DragonMint are now coming out with their own Blake(2b) ASIC.

No price nor date yet, BUT 3.5TH  THAT'S ~4.5X BITMAIN'S A3 and Obelisk's SC1 !!!!!!

https://halongmining.com/shop/dragonmint-b52-blake2b-miner
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: