Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:59:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 132 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e hacked ??  (Read 199693 times)
stingray454

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:07:05 PM

NO. They are just preparing for 1st august. Nothing more nothing less. Read the twitter. 5 days till 10 days means after 1st august

Really? With all the news going around of the arrest, huge fines, datacenter search warrants and so on, you think it's only for preparation purposes? I'd say that's a tad optimistic.
miner16

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:08:42 PM

The media is painting as much as a bad picture as they can regarding BTC-E

http://fortune.com/2017/07/27/btc-e-digital-currency/

Now they tell the world the troll box was a "message boards buzzing with illegal activities"

Most content was related to, trading, moons, flat earth theories, odd bit of religion... After being on there for quite some time there was very little illegal activity talk, this is just bullshit.

Good Luck goes out to all BTC-e Trolls !

Martisor-Sobru

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:09:27 PM

btc-e=funds are frozen   Wink

Source? Or is the smilie an indicator?

For eth: https://etherscan.io/address/0x91337a300e0361bddb2e377dd4e88ccb7796663d

Frozen as interstellar space.
YesLOST

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:12:15 PM

I strongly believe It's done. Share this post with all BTC's traders all over the word and be waiting for a hard dropping.

NO. They are just preparing for 1st august. Nothing more nothing less. Read the twitter. 5 days till 10 days means after 1st august

Well, in reality, they are setting the backups on a server in Russia or Iceland or whatever jurisdiction, implementing USA access ban, probably new KYC guidelines, a withdrawals hold and trying to communicate with Alexander or the lawyers in Greece.

And this let me think, what is going to happen if the court in Greece decides that they are not going to extradite him to USA but instead to Russia? Personally I doubt it, but well... we are in a crypto drama movie, so everything can happen.

They knew about the arrest and still posted that they come back in 5-10 days? They dont believe they are going to make it? And no, it is not automated script because btc-e.com admin postedin the Russian forum on bitcointalk.

not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:19:19 PM

Dump for what? Only good missing tens of thousands of btc from trading.

The problem I see is, what exchange is safe?  Maybe if you trade on a Chinese exchange and don't live in the US.  BTC-e wasn't in the US and not run by US citizens and yet here we all are talking about it and nowhere on the internets is BTC-e.  So if no exchange is safe for non-criminals, if using any exchange is risking having all of your funds stolen by the US government, then what happens?  Dumpsville.  Make no mistake, overwhelmingly the value of BTC is determined by whale speculators.  If they can't safely trade in volume for profit, they will leave and BTC will crash very hard.
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:22:52 PM

Most likely BTC-E will come back. An admin is still on the loose, there has been no indication that funds or servers were seized. No message of seizure. No known transfer of funds (that's one of the first things LE would do). Perhaps it will only come back to allow withdraws. The risks has increased for the remaining admin(s). I also wouldn't be surprised if there will have to be some socialized losses as fiat accounts are easier to seize, no info that it has happened but it's a possibility.

There's a lot of new people here today who seem to gain joy from others misfortune. Studies has shown correlations between schadenfreude and low self-esteem, inferiority complex and envy. I only feel sorry for these people. If you gain pleasure from others misfortune you probably don't live such a great life yourself. Successful people seldom feel this way. Just a quick note on that point.

I think most of us knew this day would come, sadly there is no choice but to keep funds on exchanges if you want to trade. It's clear that we're headed for decentralized exchanges in the future, but the infrastructure is too young still for most of the volume to move there.

Also I would caution people cheering on the capture of Alex to be so quick to judge. We don't really know any details yet. For the most part he seems to be completely innocent with regards to harming others. Moving money around without license should never be a crime. Let's not have the slave mentality get completely out of hand here, mkay?

srgstm

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:25:57 PM

To all who posted here about "Russia will retaliate", "Putin will kick US's ass", "BTC-E will relocate to Russia and everything will be fine", and similar stuff, I have to inform or remind you that BTC-E is banned in Russia and dealing with cryptocurrencies is illegal activity in Russia. For this reason, BTC-E has moved out of Russia to Bulgaria.

And accusations by WizSec that Vinnik or BTC-E has stolen bitcoins from MtGox because they have found that the coins went right to a BTC-E cold storage - is total bullshit. It just means that the MtGox hacker sold the coins at BTC-E.
bonker

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:30:57 PM

Most likely BTC-E will come back. An admin is still on the loose, there has been no indication that funds or servers were seized. No message of seizure. No known transfer of funds (that's one of the first things LE would do). Perhaps it will only come back to allow withdraws. The risks has increased for the remaining admin(s). I also wouldn't be surprised if there will have to be some socialized losses as fiat accounts are easier to seize, no info that it has happened but it's a possibility.

There's a lot of new people here today who seem to gain joy from others misfortune. Studies has shown correlations between schadenfreude and low self-esteem, inferiority complex and envy. I only feel sorry for these people. If you gain pleasure from others misfortune you probably don't live such a great life yourself. Successful people seldom feel this way. Just a quick note on that point.

I think most of us knew this day would come, sadly there is no choice but to keep funds on exchanges if you want to trade. It's clear that we're headed for decentralized exchanges in the future, but the infrastructure is too young still for most of the volume to move there.

Also I would caution people cheering on the capture of Alex to be so quick to judge. We don't really know any details yet. For the most part he seems to be completely innocent with regards to harming others. Moving money around without license should never be a crime. Let's not have the slave mentality get completely out of hand here, mkay?

+1 on this.

Don't get sucked in by these bleak mofos saying btc-e is not coming back.

Even with a fine the site generates huge revenues, keeping it offline would literally be spunking wads of money into the ocean for no reason.

Next Week Grand Re-Opening

delicious Soviet borsh cabbage soup for all

.Minter.                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█
Tradewatcher

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:31:35 PM

MT.Gox did the same "we are back in some days"..... I think many people are still waiting Cheesy

The hard fork COULD BE A REASON - but i dont think so because it would be easy for the admins to gather BCC without such troubles, hardcore bad news and 10 days downtime.

Come on guys - IF they really come back 75%+ of the users would withdraw their money. This is no speculation I'm sure many BTC-E customers will do and some friends already told me they hope they get their money back to leave BTC-E forever.

For me this Twitter messages mean "please dont worry we only prepare the exit scam".

I read the same about the "hardcore crime t-box" on BTC-E but like always fake - for T-Box users its a way to see the printed lies.
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:33:07 PM

The problem I see is, what exchange is safe?  Maybe if you trade on a Chinese exchange and don't live in the US.  BTC-e wasn't in the US and not run by US citizens and yet here we all are talking about it and nowhere on the internets is BTC-e.  So if no exchange is safe for non-criminals, if using any exchange is risking having all of your funds stolen by the US government, then what happens?  Dumpsville.  Make no mistake, overwhelmingly the value of BTC is determined by whale speculators.  If they can't safely trade in volume for profit, they will leave and BTC will crash very hard.
Wouldn't it be the opposite then? If no exchange is safe, people need to get the money out quickly. Only way to do that is buy BTC with their fiat and withdraw. In fact I speculate this will happen if BTC-E comes back. People will buy BTC there and withdraw, causing a massive spike in the BTC price.

not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:39:32 PM

The problem I see is, what exchange is safe?  Maybe if you trade on a Chinese exchange and don't live in the US.  BTC-e wasn't in the US and not run by US citizens and yet here we all are talking about it and nowhere on the internets is BTC-e.  So if no exchange is safe for non-criminals, if using any exchange is risking having all of your funds stolen by the US government, then what happens?  Dumpsville.  Make no mistake, overwhelmingly the value of BTC is determined by whale speculators.  If they can't safely trade in volume for profit, they will leave and BTC will crash very hard.
Wouldn't it be the opposite then? If no exchange is safe, people need to get the money out quickly. Only way to do that is buy BTC with their fiat and withdraw. In fact I speculate this will happen if BTC-E comes back. People will buy BTC there and withdraw, causing a massive spike in the BTC price.

Or the opposite.  If the whales have no issues getting out fiat they may take it while they can.  

EDIT: For the record, I hope you are more correct than I am on this...
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:43:52 PM

MT.Gox did the same "we are back in some days"..... I think many people are still waiting Cheesy
No, nobody is waiting. Every creditor has been notified that mtgox is under bankruptcy and has a trustee managing funds. They are waiting for payments now, but that is a different matter.

The fact that mtgox "did the same" doesn't mean btc-e will do the same thing. Why would there even be any correlation here? These are two completely separate entities and they were brought down for entirely different reasons. Stop spreading FUD.

Come on guys - IF they really come back 75%+ of the users would withdraw their money. This is no speculation I'm sure many BTC-E customers will do and some friends already told me they hope they get their money back to leave BTC-E forever.

For me this Twitter messages mean "please dont worry we only prepare the exit scam".
Perhaps the admins are honorable people and just want to give people their money back? They do exists you know, even if you might not be one yourself. Just like mtgox and btc-e is two different entities, so is you and the btc-e admins. If you would have stolen the funds, it doesn't mean they will. Let's see.

YesLOST

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:44:03 PM

This is wrong in every sense. No wallet movements, nothing about seized bank account. Why would they inform the public that btce is still alive if they are on the run with the money. Ok, if they are stupid, they would think it is a better distraction to tell btce is alive than let people believe USA seized everything.

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:48:17 PM

BTC-E also had plenty of better opportunities to "exit scam". They were far from their peak now as poloniex and other exchange has taken a lot of their volume. The only reason would be if they were scared for their life (as in, of getting arrested). I can sympathize with that point although I hope they come through and deliver, I much rather btc-e admins end up with the funds than US government thugs.

Zorgunfleck

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:54:02 PM

BTC-e is a huge money maker for whoever is brave enough to run it. As long as the site isn't taken over by authorities, there's a huge incentive to come back. If they do come back they will recover public trust very quickly and more than ever before. If the original owners want to get out they can sell it to someone else. Guaranteed, they know plenty of people ready and willing to run the site and and make millions.

Whatever amount of money is stored on BTC-e right now that they could steal is NOTHING compared to the profit they've made in the past six years, and NOTHING compared to what they will make in next six. To steal it all and run would be like a drug dealer just doing all his drugs instead of selling them. Even if they are willing to screw all their customers because they're just assholes. Slaughtering a cash cow is stupid. How stupid do you think these people are?

$110 million fine is pocket change to a $4 billion company. If BTC-e is going to steal all the money, it's not cause they need a few million dollars for a fine.

Who know's what will happen, but there are a lot of reasons for BTC-e to come back. I wouldn't be surprised if they start again on an onion site and go Tor only.

If they do manage to come back, this drama and attention will make them kings to the anti-government/privacy people. They will be more popular than ever. I think they are smart enough to realize this reality. I think it's entirely possible they won't come back, but I think it's utterly stupid to think they don't want to if they can.

Is there any evidence that the authorities have control of the servers or the funds?
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 4386

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:56:50 PM

$110 million fine is pocket change to a $4 billion company.

bingo

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Tradewatcher

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 05:03:16 PM

So you really think they come back like nothing happened and all is okay again?

I lost ~1 BTC and its okay for me. Fk off.

There's a reason why nobody knows the identity of BTC-E admins. If they support crime they wont have a problem with an exit scam.

Normally theres an announcement until they go down for maintenance. They went down without an announcement or information in trollbox. Normally the admin join T-Box to give information about changes or maintenance. I made one of last messages in t-box and there was no information. Instant shut down and gone.

Maybe I'm a bad guy for you because spreading my opinion. You can stay in fear or accept it. You know the risk - spread your money on different exchanges and prefer cold wallets or accept the risk.

Yes you are right about money making but if one of the admins get cought there is not enough time to sell - would you buy it if you know the last admin is preparing for jail? Moving to darknet means no fiat/sepa support would also be a bad option in my opinion.

Maybe its an exit scam and they prepare to run it legal (xbtce) who knows.
YesLOST

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 05:08:11 PM

I think it's entirely possible they won't come back, but I think it's utterly stupid to think they don't want to if they can.

This is exactly my thought and the twitter statements reflect that. Their intention seems to be honest business regardless what people write here - the question is are they able to do it, do they have access to backups, do they have access to the wallets and bank accounts and do they feel safe about everything?

Is there any evidence that the authorities have control of the servers or the funds?

It seems that there were warrants for Equinix datacenter, but it is very vague. Also, arrest happened Monday morning, trollbox offline Tuesday morning https://btce.penek.org/trollbox/ - so it could be that the servers were kidnapped by USA but with doubt, because normally servers are taken before or at the time of the arrest or let it be running as a honey pot and this let me wonder, where is the big fat "USA seized your money" logo?

But the first twitter statements indicate that they indeed thought it is datacenter problem because servers were hijacked by USA.
YesLOST

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 05:16:36 PM

Quote from: stingray454
(10:48:00) stingray454: best thing now is to get fiat, turn off computer, come back tonight and see how much you didn't lose Smiley

I just noticed.... haha, what about everything Shocked
stingray454

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 05:19:59 PM

Quote from: stingray454
(10:48:00) stingray454: best thing now is to get fiat, turn off computer, come back tonight and see how much you didn't lose Smiley

I just noticed.... haha, what about everything Shocked

Haha Grin. Me and my big mouth..
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 132 »
  Print  

Jump to: