Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:42:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 187 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN]🔵🔵 OYSTER 🔵🔵 Anonymous Storage Generates Revenue for Websites  (Read 73332 times)
r3gist4

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 08:58:57 AM

Hi Devs

I really like what oyster is doing concerning the use of CPU power to help cover site costs, as well as actually 'charging' those who visit websites. In terms of a democratic contribution to keeping site owners paid, it's brilliant. However, wasn't this the same thing that showtime and The Pirate Bay were doing? How legal is it to run scripts like this?

All I saw was reactionary outrage, but very little fact based discussion. Where does the Oyster team stand on this issue?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
r3gist4

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 11:12:38 AM

Another question. If 1 PRL = 1 GB/year of data storage, does it mean that an increase in the value of PRL becomes undesirable?
brunoblock

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 11:59:17 AM
Last edit: October 04, 2017, 03:03:50 PM by brunoblock

Another question. If 1 PRL = 1 GB/year of data storage, does it mean that an increase in the value of PRL becomes undesirable?

It means that once the network is live and retaining data (after the crowdsale), the value of PRL remains very stable and doesn't go down or up by huge factors. This means that the opportunity to use PRL as an investment vehicle is now, since buying it later will be the investment equivalent of buying a hard drive (it will remain very consistent in price). Investing in PRL now (especially with the presale) means you are buying a token that is intrinsically pegged to a commodity, but at a fraction of that commodity's price. This is a very strong formula for investors to make a huge profit whilst helping to jumpstart the network topology.

It's very different from other coins as it is a protocol-function to pump and dump the coin initially, as it will always calibrate to storage prices as long as the network is running. The initial pump gives initial value to PRL, so that it is coveted by website owners who react by installing the Oyster code on their website (to earn PRL). This in turn spawns web nodes that go treasure hunting, hence retaining the data on the Tangle. Whales can dump the coin afterwards all they want, it will always self-correct back to storage prices because 1 PRL = 1GB/1 Year. This rate is hardcoded in the protocol and cannot change. This is the reason that huge bonuses have been assigned to the presale.

I just wrote about this on the Oyster blog, please read it and refer to the volleyball analogy to understand what I'm explaining: https://medium.com/oysterprotocol/intrinsic-storage-pegged-value-447d970f6d69
brunoblock

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 03:03:33 PM
Last edit: October 05, 2017, 10:24:11 AM by brunoblock

Hi Devs

I really like what oyster is doing concerning the use of CPU power to help cover site costs, as well as actually 'charging' those who visit websites. In terms of a democratic contribution to keeping site owners paid, it's brilliant. However, wasn't this the same thing that showtime and The Pirate Bay were doing? How legal is it to run scripts like this?

All I saw was reactionary outrage, but very little fact based discussion. Where does the Oyster team stand on this issue?

Thanks!

The outrage that people had with the Showtime and TPB incidents exhibits the same pattern as to when Facebook does a major design overhaul, everyone gets outraged and starts a group demanding the changes are reverted. After one year, they can't even imagine wanting to go back to the old design. People aren't very good with change to things they aren't used to.

Right now the economy of the internet is broken. Wikipedia among others have to beg for donations, and news article sites are setting up subscription paywalls which causes them to lose traffic. The most well known example of a token that attempts to solve the issues of the digital advertising industry is BAT (Basic Attention Token). They designed their own browser called Brave, which rewards user attention to advertisements. The introduction of BAT is indicative that there is a problem with the internet economy, this has been their slogan. I argue that Oyster accomplishes the goals of BAT in a better way:

The first issue with BAT is the unrealistic expectation that any significant amount of users would ditch Google Chrome and it’s likes to install their own browser. It is highly more likely that a user will simply install ad block plus instead of switching to Brave. The second issue is that adverts are still distracting and invasive. They take up precious pixel space, often break the content and design continuity of websites, and are rarely politically neutral. Adverts must always be manually interpreted and approved for ethics compliance, therefore the system can never be fully decentralized.

With Oyster, the first adoption issue does not exist because website owners need only add one line of code without having to go through any registration nor approval. The Oyster network is completely decentralized so no one can block them from generating revenue. The second issue is also non-applicable because adding Oyster to a website does not show anything significant on the screen, therefore respecting the aesthetics and neutrality of the website.

People cannot have their cake and eat it too, good content takes energy and hence money to generate, and it takes money to host it online. They are going to have to face the reality of this sooner or later. Oyster arbitrates these tensions in a completely decentralized way. There are no legal issues because there is no Oyster corporation, and no one runs it nor can stop it. I'm only the protocol designer and lead developer, there is no CEO or board of trustees. In the early days parents would tell their children not to buy bitcoin because the government is going to get you and legal boogeymen. Now those same parents are buying Bitcoin at $4k.

It is not productive to succumb to the absurd government rulings concerning the internet. Consider the cookies law passed by the European Union. Now every major website looks silly with a ridiculous and annoying sign that asks permission to store cookies. These people don't understand how the internet works, it doesn't matter what they say.

Oyster encourages website owners to make it known to their users that their computational resources are being used to promote the website financially. Visitors can also elect to disable Oyster from running, but the website owners reserve the right to disable access to the content in that scenario. Oyster grants the opportunity to consume content without having to pay cumbersome subscriptions fees and watch annoying advertisements.

This is the direction the web as a whole is moving into: IoT micro transactions. Instead of paying $9.99 a month for reading articles, your CPU (which you payed for) performs a bit of work per article.

These days the phones in our pockets and the laptops in our bags are like supercomputers, they have an enormous amount of computational capabilities. People pay for them out of their pocket, and it is this expenditure that Oyster capitalizes on. The phones of 2017 have twice the computational power of 2015. If people don't want the 2017 phone to momentarily spend 50% of it's resources to contribute to a website which is benefiting them then people are simply being selfish and ignorant. The economic reality of resource scarcity will catch up to them eventually.
Scipher907

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 02:59:48 AM

Hello Bruno,

The Oyster Protocol seems to rely heavily on the Distributed Reputation System for regulating behavior between nodes. Is there a possibility for the Distributed Reputation System to become compromised? Could this system be a potential target for malicious attacks?
brunoblock

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:44:46 AM

Hello Bruno,

The Oyster Protocol seems to rely heavily on the Distributed Reputation System for regulating behavior between nodes. Is there a possibility for the Distributed Reputation System to become compromised? Could this system be a potential target for malicious attacks?

The DSR (Distributed Reputation System) is a way for storage users and web nodes to keep broker nodes in check. It’s kind of like eBay, broker nodes are the sellers and users/web nodes are the buyers. Broker nodes build their reputation by being honest, if they cheat it will exponentially damage their reputation and hence potential revenue in the future.

Therefore the system isn’t compromiseable, it’s simply a consensus layer for broker node reputation.
sxafir

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:50:30 AM

What is oyster ?
brunoblock

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:56:53 AM

What is oyster ?
This is the introduction of the website:

Oyster enables websites to silently generate traffic revenue as visitors perform Proof of Work for a decentralized storage ledger
anasso

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 08:57:13 PM

hi bruno correct me if i am wrong Smiley

the average price of data storage( amazon, microsoft, google etc ....) is about 20$/Terabyte or 0.02$/Gbyte

Sia coin is decentralized and the price is 10 time lower than the centralized concurence listed above

the ico price is 1 ETH=5000 PRL and at the current price (1 ETH= 300$), 1 PRL = 1 Gbyte = 0.06$

how your model can be sustainable at this price?
brunoblock

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 11:02:55 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2017, 12:12:45 AM by brunoblock

the average price of data storage( amazon, microsoft, google etc ....) is about 20$/Terabyte or 0.02$/Gbyte

Sia coin is decentralized and the price is 10 time lower than the centralized concurence listed above

the ico price is 1 ETH=5000 PRL and at the current price (1 ETH= 300$), 1 PRL = 1 Gbyte = 0.06$

Your references to the cloud industry prices are calculated per month, 1 PRL is 1GB / 1 Year, so you should further divide the PRL price by 12. We are also offering heavy bonuses on our presale.
Sylon
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1169

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 05:42:03 PM

djwatt3

Activity: 504
Merit: 137

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 05:59:10 PM

Any bounty?
I reserve fot Italian Translations
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 07:18:52 PM

Your references to the cloud industry prices are calculated per month, 1 PRL is 1GB / 1 Year, so you should further divide the PRL price by 12. We are also offering heavy bonuses on our presale.

If this is true then Sia, which is quite far along in development, is already 1/3 cheaper than undiscounted Oyster. Is this correct?
brunoblock

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 10:15:36 PM

If this is true then Sia, which is quite far along in development, is already 1/3 cheaper than undiscounted Oyster. Is this correct?

Please see this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/5vl5an/sia_storage_costs_016_per_tb_per_month/

The top comment of that thread:
Sia is still pretty early in its development and has a limited user base, so I don't think we're seeing a prices controlled by realistic market forces yet.
I don't think hosting is profitable yet and I believe the people who are currently hosts are doing it for the following reasons:
- They think Sia is neat and want to play around with the technology
- They have substantial holdings in Siacoins / Siafunds and want to help the ecosystem reach critical mass to make their investments grow

You need to remember that if the price is too low, the storage maintainers are not being paid enough. Cloud storage companies are already saturating the price of reliable digital storage as low as it could go. They have access to all the bulk discounts of hard drives that Sia and Oyster don't have. Sia is now running on community altruism and excitement, not necessarily hard economic principles.

The advantage that Oyster has is that it is very easy to become a storage user (web interface like myetherwallet.com), and very easy to become a miner (website owners install one line of code). Sia requires custom software that runs natively in in the operating system for both storage users and miners (and blockchain coin miners that they need). Oyster has a stronger path of scalability as ease and accessibility of adoption is crucial.
bitcoinvestor

Activity: 812
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 12:26:46 AM

Dear Dev, I am a website owner, can I generate revenue from now if I install the code in my website. How do I get paid to my eth wallet? Does it send directly to my eth wallet? How much is per impression of eth that I can earn?
brunoblock

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 12:15:56 PM

Dear Dev, I am a website owner, can I generate revenue from now if I install the code in my website. How do I get paid to my eth wallet? Does it send directly to my eth wallet? How much is per impression of eth that I can earn?
The development is not complete yet, so the code is not active right now. There are two halves/stages of the network: the broker node half and the web node half. First the broker node half will go live, when the web node half goes online later that is when website owners will be able to generate traffic revenue.
Buchi-88
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 2499

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 06:18:19 PM

You need for your project a german translation? PM me 😉😊

regards

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
brunoblock

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:11:18 PM

The development is not complete yet, so the code is not active right now. There are two halves/stages of the network: the broker node half and the web node half. First the broker node half will go live, when the web node half goes online later that is when website owners will be able to generate traffic revenue.
SCAMMMMMMMMMER

Thanks for the bump.
brunoblock

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:12:22 PM

There is less than two hours left for the presale, 20%-60% bonus discount is going away soon.
susunyonya

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:49:55 PM

interesting project and I see the number of tokens from the project is very much and the price of the token project is quite cheap and it makes me very confident that the project will succeed
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 187 »
  Print  

Jump to: