Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 03:19:01 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If everybody agrees, at this time we can push out a short term fix. I make no guarantees that the difficulty won't get jacked up again, but at this point I just want the coin to move again and don't see a long term solution coming.
Yes, "band-aid" the coin.
No, thats a waste of time. Wait for a solid fix.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][CRC] Craftcoin - Portable Minecraft Game Currency w. Economy Plugin  (Read 92268 times)
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1084

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:50:40 AM

Until these 2 sites get updated with the "new" wallet I will not be doing any downloading of the files.

https://github.com/craftcoin/craftcoin

http://craftcoin.net/download.html

Exactly, the update is being "reviewed", that isn't a reason to put it into usage.

If it is rejected, then all mining on the fork is wasted.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
Blindfolded (OP)

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:00:28 PM

Someone hardforked craftcoin and went back 50 blocks to reset difficulty.
I had to delete my blockchain for this to take effect.

addnode=199.180.115.100

+

Quote from: justin7674
To be honest. Blindfolded fucked the network. He literally ditched it. I am the developer for the java plugin and he has just up and left. HE IS GONE THIS COIN IS DEAD AND DOESNT DESERVE ITS SLOT ON CRYPTSY

I am removing the java plugin and making it compatible for bottlecaps. Everyone move on from this thread.

+

Quote from: justin7674

There is no risk in testing the client from another computer. But, your loss. There is a pool that has reviewed the code and is agreeing to post a new pool to set the chain in place and unfreeze it. Nobody's transactions or money will be lost!

It's pretty (very) obvious that you do not really know what's going on. Essentially anyone on this forum could have implemented your 'fix', it's a temporary measure at best and needlessly introduces potential risks. Releasing the client and attempting to gain hashrate without approval is definitely on the edge of malicious.

"Your loss." Hm right, because those who do not decide to join your little fork would be left with devalued coins. Nice.

Forgive me if I do not find your references very impressive, especially after your baseless little outburst.

Anyways, as SaltySpitoon already mentioned,  nodes with a seemingly better height are going to be seen by the client and they will not be rejected immediately. The lack of node consensus is  not going to help anything, as such an insignificant edit means this will not be the last crc fork and the needless division of non-malicious network hashrate is entirely counter-productive. 

I say that you should all wait for a *real* fix, not a simple reduction in adjustment period.  Empirical evidence has already shown such a simplistic change is not a long-term solution to the problem of highly variable hashrate and introduces new potential risks.

Anyways, I hopefully didn't need to point any of the above out and you are all aware of what highly irregular coin generation can do to small economies.

This is a good springboard for what I wanted to reply. One of the reasons I haven't been quick to apply this fix is because I am unsure of its effectiveness. Simply lowering the max re-target, and shortening the time span for re-target isn't a real fix IMO. A patch? possibly (possibly not)... The simple fact is that this doesn't fix the root of the problem. In fact it could compound it even more if the network gets 2-3 solid days of high hashrate (which is likely to happen).

It's not a "No" but it's definitely not a "Yes" - Lets just say I'm keeping our options open for a day or two.
coinerd

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:06:57 PM

It's not a "No" but it's definitely not a "Yes" - Lets just say I'm keeping our options open for a day or two.

As one of the only alts to try and develop a unique infrastructure before announcing yourselves, I think there are plenty of people happy to give you the time you need.

Rapid adjustment can, on the one hand, simply allow any attackers or hopping pools to push the diff even higher before abandoning the coin again.  I wish I had better input to give but I'm stumped by this one - as long as it's coins vs miners it seems most other types of development and innovation are going to have to stop (or at least slow way down) until someone figures out a long term fix for this.

In the meantime a sudden attempt to hard-fork someone else's coin while the dev is still actually working with it is a pretty lame-ass maneuver.
Blindfolded (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:19:49 PM

Rapid adjustment can, on the one hand, simply allow any attackers or hopping pools to push the diff even higher before abandoning the coin again.  I wish I had better input to give but I'm stumped by this one - as long as it's coins vs miners it seems most other types of development and innovation are going to have to stop (or at least slow way down) until someone figures out a long term fix for this.

This is exactly my reservation with this type of fix.
PoolMinor
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1338

XXXVII Fnord is toast without bread

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 10:27:35 PM

I realize it is not my place to discuss what other miners and pool owners are doing for or against this coin. I feel that it is imperative that we all are on the same page.
FYI there was discussion on an exchange where people were placing a high priority on this unapproved "fix", they were trying to get a new pool established with the new code. It is very likely that these 5 or so people have already done damage to this coin. I am sure I don't need to name names.

Btc=C2MF       Free BTC Poker
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent. -Marilyn vos Savant
justin7674

Activity: 136

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 02:56:58 AM

Actually the update did not affect the coin any. The update won't even cause a fork. @Russ this patch is perfect for your coin. It is an easy fix that will prevent flash mining by 3 hour block readjusts:36 blocks.
coinerd

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 04:25:06 AM

The update won't even cause a fork.

I don't think that word means what you think it does.

This update is exactly the definition of a hard fork. A change to the protocol, which many (most) of the existing clients will reject, causing the creation of two incompatible block chains with the same name and other identifiers.

Huh
TierNolan
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 09:28:32 AM

I think what you mean is that coins from pre-fork will work on both old and new chains.

The difficulty drop-off problem is a problem that has plagued all alt coins.

Bitcoin is a "price maker".  This means that when they drop the price they pay per hash, the market adjusts to their new price.

Some miners might switch to alt chains, but mostly they can absorb price shifts.

In addition, since they have such a large share of the hashing power, it is less likely that they get hit with a surge of hashing power.

Alt coins are "price takers".  This means that they can't control the price of hashing power.

If they drop their price by a large step, then they will get no hashing power.

Changing the difficulty every block, even if the window is large is better than changing it in one big step.

If you limited the change to 1% per block, then after 144 blocks, you get a 4.19X change, which is pretty close to the current limits.

I suggest your new rules should be

- reset the difficulty to 1 starting at block <next block>
- the next 144 blocks have no block reward (other than tx fees)
- updates the difficulty every block based on the last 144 blocks
- caps the difficulty change to 1% per block

The 144 zero payment blocks prevent a "pre-mine" situation. 

It gives the network a chance to find the current hashing power without it being a giveaway.

It also means that nobody can make the accusation that those who happened to be online when the fork went live got an advantage.

Blindfolded (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 12:49:47 PM

I suggest your new rules should be

- reset the difficulty to 1 starting at block <next block>
- the next 144 blocks have no block reward (other than tx fees)
- updates the difficulty every block based on the last 144 blocks
- caps the difficulty change to 1% per block

The 144 zero payment blocks prevent a "pre-mine" situation. 

It gives the network a chance to find the current hashing power without it being a giveaway.

It also means that nobody can make the accusation that those who happened to be online when the fork went live got an advantage.

This solution is closer to viable. Still a little bit problematic if the hashrate suddenly drops, but definitely better than our current situation.
TierNolan
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 01:57:24 PM

This solution is closer to viable. Still a little bit problematic if the hashrate suddenly drops, but definitely better than our current situation.

If you are willing to accept some centralization in the solution, you could add a rule where the devs can reset the difficulty (including the no-mint timeout).  This could be a special signed block header or something similar.  It would have to be part of the chain, so it can be verified.

Have you updated the alert keys so you can issue alerts?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 12:36:31 AM

Have the recent problems been resolved?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Bonz

Activity: 213

Mining history: BTC->LTC->FTC->CRC:2200kh/s

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 04:06:41 AM

hey is anyone here a mod on the spendlitecoin server?  I would like the go ahead on some mods but i'm the only one EVER online... k well that's not true but i'm the only one on in the evenings it seems

i would like to use mini map and autofish

If I've helped you, who knows it could happen =) PLZ donate      BTC - 34CGHYkhKi2eFP5GBhtsNpQdFvrxo7WT1u     LTC - WfGiVRgBTLWzfiEfg69QVReWiDvMuQxxHW
                                                                                              FTC - 9x9DT1QDe9bP5E75gSDnkwbVWmwjevpiAQ     CRC - Q5swva1yTrD3Gh7HijDSiETvk6evpe5apl
Blindfolded (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 04:25:09 PM

hey is anyone here a mod on the spendlitecoin server?  I would like the go ahead on some mods but i'm the only one EVER online... k well that's not true but i'm the only one on in the evenings it seems

Go for it.
Bonz

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 05:15:36 PM

thanks man

Go for it.

If I've helped you, who knows it could happen =) PLZ donate      BTC - 34CGHYkhKi2eFP5GBhtsNpQdFvrxo7WT1u     LTC - WfGiVRgBTLWzfiEfg69QVReWiDvMuQxxHW
                                                                                              FTC - 9x9DT1QDe9bP5E75gSDnkwbVWmwjevpiAQ     CRC - Q5swva1yTrD3Gh7HijDSiETvk6evpe5apl
TreasureSeeker

Activity: 455
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 10:02:24 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2013, 11:37:07 PM by TreasureSeeker

I've been reading about CraftCoin over the last few days and I'm impressed at how it's been set up and integrates into Minecraft, even though I've never played it...yet (been reading a bit about Minecraft too).  

Anyway, it's impressed me so much that I've set up a P2Pool pool at http://craftcoin.treasurequarry.com:8830/static/   . Full details of how to mine are at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268080.0

Hopefully people will join and help get CraftCoin moving again.  

Speaking of getting it going again, if the big increase then decrease was an attack which it seems to be, remember folks that people will attack things they feel threatened by - which is  sign that CraftCoin is actually a good coin with prospects in the long run!

Fun & Friendly p2pool Mining at TreasureQuarry.  Litecoin http://litecoin.treasurequarry.com:9327 Dash p2pool  http://dash.treasurequarry.com:7903
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 10:13:40 PM

The unofficial fork of the Craftcoin wallet and the pool they used caused a problem with the current p2pools. They used our official Craftcoin public source of p2pool without changing it to work independently. Since they had the majority of the network hash the current p2pools synced with them causing all the previous p2pool shares to be orphaned and new p2pools to be on a different share chain.

They have since shut down their pool but left the rest of the p2pools with their share chain.

To remedy the situation stop your node and delete the Craftcoin data folder in p2pool-13.1\data\

I have notified all known p2pool operators to do the same. Part of the problem with making the source public on a coin with little hash rate is individuals can do what they have done :/

Edit: Thanks TreasureSeeker for alerting me to the situation!

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 08:15:19 AM

Fun coin  Cool

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
TreasureSeeker

Activity: 455
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 05:09:29 PM

I've been thinking of ways to get craftcoin moving and to avoid such a stalling of the coin in the future.  I think a good idea would be to make CraftCoin "self-aware" of the time that has passed since the last block.  Craftcoin could, every few minutes, look at the time now()  (possibly using an ntp server or something, or however craftcoin usually gets the times of blocks)  and compare it to the time of the last block. If the time that has passed is looking like it's an unacceptable level, Craftcoin could reduce the difficulty of the current block by, say, 10% per extra minute (or something) that passes.

Once this block has been found, the next block can still start at the original starting difficulty, and the same process can occur if the block takes an unaceptably long time to solve.

By this method we get to the next true difficulty change much faster.

Fun & Friendly p2pool Mining at TreasureQuarry.  Litecoin http://litecoin.treasurequarry.com:9327 Dash p2pool  http://dash.treasurequarry.com:7903
Bonz

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 04:47:41 PM

not a bad idea but to be honest i would like to see a band-aid fix for now something to get the miners back and the coin working again and once it is THEN look for a great long term solution

I've been thinking of ways to get craftcoin moving and to avoid such a stalling of the coin in the future.  I think a good idea would be to make CraftCoin "self-aware" of the time that has passed since the last block.  Craftcoin could, every few minutes, look at the time now()  (possibly using an ntp server or something, or however craftcoin usually gets the times of blocks)  and compare it to the time of the last block. If the time that has passed is looking like it's an unacceptable level, Craftcoin could reduce the difficulty of the current block by, say, 10% per extra minute (or something) that passes.

Once this block has been found, the next block can still start at the original starting difficulty, and the same process can occur if the block takes an unaceptably long time to solve.

By this method we get to the next true difficulty change much faster.

TierNolan
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 05:36:17 PM

I think a good idea would be to make CraftCoin "self-aware" of the time that has passed since the last block. 

The problem with that is how to handle forks.  If a miner has > 51% of the network, then could create a chain of blocks with lower difficulty.

Basically, if you have 2 chains and a fork 2 weeks ago, the software needs to be able to do decide which one is the main chain.

If a block is 90% difficulty, maybe it should get 9 CRC instead of 10.  However, that means that miners won't mine it anyway, since you aren't pushing up the price per hash.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: