Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:26:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... 338 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ActiveMining] The Official Active Mining Discussion Thread  (Read 479237 times)
N_S

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:04:12 PM

Can somebody explain to me the suggestion that a "28nm ASIC" is basically just a 28nm FPGA... I read the eASIC press release to mean they've simplified the process of designing ASIC's to a level on par (in simplicity terms) to coding an FPGA? In other words "We've got software which basically designs the ASIC for us, based on an algorithm" rather than "our 28nm asic's are actually fpga's"

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but a 28nm ASIC is an ASIC... There's absolutely no way anyone could get 16GH on an FPGA chip, or even a semi-FPGA chip (whatever that is). If we compare the "real 65nm ASIC" produced by BFL, at 4.5GH, with the apparently "not real 28nm ASIC" running at 16GH, by your suggestion the concept that a 28nm chip can hash at 16GH is impossible.

I'll freely admit I'm not an engineer, but I am a logical person, I code, and I understand the concepts and differences between FPGA's and ASIC's. What's being suggested simply doesn't compute.

This is a fantastic question.

+1
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:08:48 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 07:22:32 PM by crumbs

Does this help? http://www.easic.com/migration-to-cell-based-asic/migration-to-cell-based-asic-overview/
Edit: also first part of http://www.easic.com/high-speed-transceivers-low-cost-power-fpga-nre-asic-45nm-easic-nextreme-2/etools-design-software/
Edit2:  Honest-to-gosh engineers will shoot me for this, but i see it as an ASIC written in a high-level language, with plenty of deadwood code & sub-optimal layout, as opposed to being hand-coded in machine language. ROM Basic vs x86 asm Cheesy
SamuelSG

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:15:00 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 07:27:00 PM by SamuelSG

OT..I know
Will check this out - how long did L2 take? I assume you need to scan drivers license, electric bill, etc?

L2 is online. You just confirm some things from your credit report and you're done.

It does sometimes take a while to transfer. For example, I'll buy, then transfer, but it doesn't hit the network for up to 1 hour. I contacted support and they said that is fixed. Let me know how it works for you.

No, that is L1, (confusing, because they call the first level L0, which is no verification)

L1 is Verify e-mail, verify phone, and verify bank account (the last takes about 3-5 days, you must report the results of 2 or 3 ACH deposits, just like paypal verification)

L2 (which is up to 50BTC per day, INSTANTLY {literally, it took me 6 seconds the first time, and 8 the second, with the withdrawals to any wallet address taking no more than 10 minutes to hit the first confirmation}) takes a 30 day wait (after your first order @ L1 with no issues) and the credit report verification.

so if you just get an account now... you are talking 4-5 weeks to L2

EDIT: I guess you are actually talking about L2, but only if you have already had an account, got L1, and already ordered over 30 days ago is it that simple.

Note: If you are in Alaska, Western Washington, or High Desert Region California (All are locations near my credit union branches); OR near any CU Service Centers member Credit Unions; I can most likely facilitate a BTC sale quickly via cash deposit to my account for a modest fee, with BTC in escrow by either highly-regarded escrow provider on these forums. Availability limited to me not being at my "day job" and the daily coinbase limit.
Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:19:01 PM

Can somebody explain to me the suggestion that a "28nm ASIC" is basically just a 28nm FPGA... I read the eASIC press release to mean they've simplified the process of designing ASIC's to a level on par (in simplicity terms) to coding an FPGA? In other words "We've got software which basically designs the ASIC for us, based on an algorithm" rather than "our 28nm asic's are actually fpga's"

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but a 28nm ASIC is an ASIC... There's absolutely no way anyone could get 16GH on an FPGA chip, or even a semi-FPGA chip (whatever that is). If we compare the "real 65nm ASIC" produced by BFL, at 4.5GH, with the apparently "not real 28nm ASIC" running at 16GH, by your suggestion the concept that a 28nm chip can hash at 16GH is impossible.

I'll freely admit I'm not an engineer, but I am a logical person, I code, and I understand the concepts and differences between FPGA's and ASIC's. What's being suggested simply doesn't compute.

Here's how I understand it. Fully custom ASICs provide better performance and efficiency. They're also more expensive to design, take longer and have higher NRE costs.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:42:27 PM

I also heard that MinerASIC is launching 900TH by Christmas...
and a DonaldsMC restaurant. 

LOL. There seems to be a lack of quality marketing professionals that want to get paid in bitcoin. It's like they took 10 words, put them in a hat and shook it until combinations came out they liked. FuriousHash and BitLabs - IPOing soon!

VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:53:20 PM

LOL. There seems to be a lack of quality marketing professionals that want to get paid in bitcoin. It's like they took 10 words, put them in a hat and shook it until combinations came out they liked. FuriousHash and BitLabs - IPOing soon!

Their complete lack of originality makes me wonder if they even have basic english skills.  It literally looks like they are reconstructing sentences already used in previous company descriptions.  Could be chinese or nigerians.  By the way, what kind of name is Icedrill?  Sounds like a word my 4 year old neice would come up with.  What ice would be getting drilled, exactly?  Are we mining in the arctic now?

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:02:26 PM

Their complete lack of originality makes me wonder if they even have basic english skills.  It literally looks like they are reconstructing sentences already used in previous company descriptions.  Could be chinese or nigerians.  By the way, what kind of name is Icedrill?  Sounds like a word my 4 year old neice would come up with.  What ice would be getting drilled, exactly?  Are we mining in the arctic now?

Maybe a datacenter in iceland, with power costs around .09-.10 USD/kwh? I haven't seen iCEBREAKER in that thread yet. It's funny too since he'd be all over it, but with >14M shares at a price that won't move (much) for months, there's nothing to manipulate. Smiley

ActiveMining-PR

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:13:48 PM

I am not an electrical engineer, and wish I could supply a proof positive answer.  Fear not, I have an inquiry out seeking answers to those questions.
VinceSamios

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 08:19:46 PM

I am not an electrical engineer, and wish I could supply a proof positive answer.  Fear not, I have an inquiry out seeking answers to those questions.

I understood the basic "i see it as an ASIC written in a high-level language, with plenty of deadwood code & sub-optimal layout, as opposed to being hand-coded in machine language. ROM Basic vs x86 asm" answer offered by SamuelSG - It makes a lot of sense. I also don't imagine the difference with nextream chips and cell based chips will be huge, rather maybe a 20% power consumption reduction or something. And who knows, it might be in the ActiveMining long term plan to move to cell based asic's eventually. Regardless getting to market rapidly is by far the most pressing priority, and ActiveM is well within power consumption requirements to be competitive, if not ahead of them.

The Happy Clappy Bitcoin Chappy - http://twitter.com/vincesamios
VolanicEruptor

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:25:24 PM

Their complete lack of originality makes me wonder if they even have basic english skills.  It literally looks like they are reconstructing sentences already used in previous company descriptions.  Could be chinese or nigerians.  By the way, what kind of name is Icedrill?  Sounds like a word my 4 year old neice would come up with.  What ice would be getting drilled, exactly?  Are we mining in the arctic now?

Maybe a datacenter in iceland, with power costs around .09-.10 USD/kwh? I haven't seen iCEBREAKER in that thread yet. It's funny too since he'd be all over it, but with >14M shares at a price that won't move (much) for months, there's nothing to manipulate. Smiley

Well let's start mining in a datacenter near a volcano, and call it FIREDRILL.  We will sell Volcanic Eruptor Blades..  guess who the PR guy is gonna be?   Grin Grin Grin

Yes I know I forgot the C in my name, but we can get over that right?  After all I'm an engineer, I don't need language skills..

Vbs

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:26:15 PM

Hehe, very simple. Smiley

In an eASIC nextreme you remove the SRAM Programmed Routing of an FPGA and replace it by a real metal layer, so you not only get rid of the logic gate controlled routing bottleneck, you also gain more space on the chip for the logic gates that do the actual work.
N_S

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:32:08 PM

Hehe, very simple. Smiley

In an eASIC nextreme you remove the SRAM Programmed Routing of an FPGA and replace it by a real metal layer, so you not only get rid of the logic gate controlled routing bottleneck, you also gain more space on the chip for the logic gates that do the actual work.

Do you have any insight into how this differs from the "better" cell-based ASIC that I keep seeing referenced?
deizel

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:39:02 PM

Do you have any insight into how this differs from the "better" cell-based ASIC that I keep seeing referenced?

This is my guess, but I have no idea what I'm talking about. Smiley

FPGA 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ASIC
                      ^
                    eASIC
Stuartuk

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:45:39 PM

Yeah I knew that's what it was.  Huh
Whateva it is, NASA got to the Moon with digital watch processing power so ACtM can get us there with these mothers no problem.

Are you ready for take off?

In all seriousness we are a month away ATLEAST before knowing where this company is going - and where the competition is going. As we speak ACtM is THE best bet by a country mile. eASIC is not pie in the sky they are serious MOFO's.

Something solid could come along but nobody knows until that happens and it sure hasn't happened yet. Put your money on ACtM it is the favorite by a country mile to go to the moon and if the competition prevent that it will still go STRATOSPHERIC. At this price level 5x gain is guaranteed and 20x+ a possibility. Houston we have no problem.
knybe

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

decentralize EVERYTHING...

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:50:06 PM

Just curious: is it, or is it not a big deal that Seagate has invested in eASIC?
deizel

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:55:20 PM

it will still go STRATOSPHERIC. [...] Houston we have no problem.

VolanicEruptor

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:56:03 PM

Just curious: is it, or is it not a big deal that Seagate has invested in eASIC?

in an industry where speed and size is crucial for design, It's definitely nice to see that they want to rely on eASIC

crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:17:38 PM

in an industry where speed and size is crucial for design, It's definitely nice to see that they want to rely on eASIC

I love the logicians in this thread<3

1. Our guy's dealing with eASIC.
2. Seagate deals with eASIC.
3. ? ? ?
4. Therefore, we're as solid as Seagate.

Roll Eyes
N_S

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:20:26 PM

I love the logicians in this thread<3

1. Our guy's dealing with eASIC.
2. Seagate deals with eASIC.
3. ? ? ?
4. Therefore, we're as solid as Seagate.

Roll Eyes

I don't think anyone made any claim that ActM = Seagate in solidity. VE simply said that having a company like Seagate dealing with eASIC is a good sign. And it is.
Stuartuk

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:23:09 PM

It's fucking HUGE. Seagate are on the fucking NASDAQ, their market cap has gone up 4x in 24months which is incredible in this economic climate. They can afford to go into partnership with only the BEST in their field  - and they are pumping money into eASIC to research and produce chips for Seagates requirements.

It means eASIC are the elite and they will have cash to invest in more staff and hardware. This could take pressure off their ACtM production run and could speed up the roll out of our chips. Very unlikely to have a negative impact. What do we think?
Pages: « 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... 338 »
  Print  

Jump to: