Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:13:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra announces its first ASIC - Hash-Rate greater than 500 GH/s  (Read 230758 times)
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 10:06:14 PM

What you mean?   All systems go on the Cointerra forum, just ask Rich!

http://forum.cointerra.com/threads/cant-wait-to-get-my-rig.48/

http://forum.cointerra.com/threads/howdy.6/#post-105

"Oh yeah. The support team was excellent to me, as well. And I feel ya'ACN... The creds of the staff and team here are above and beyond! After comparing machine numbers, once I saw the backgrounds of the Cointerra Team, I KNEW that this was where my money was going. "

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 10:16:52 PM

Posting a picture of HashFast's CEO holding a box of their finished wafers in poor lagging Cointerra's thread is just plain mean.

From my point of view, this could as well be HashFarts CEO getting out the garbage.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 10:21:34 PM

Posting a picture of HashFast's CEO holding a box of their finished wafers in poor lagging Cointerra's thread is just plain mean.

From my point of view, this could as well be HashFarts CEO getting out the garbage.

Then your point of view is woefully under-informed.

Had you bothered to pay attention, you would know HashFast taped-out to TSMC in August.

Fact: HashFast now has chips in-hand, but Cointerra won't for at least 2 months.

FUD: your POV.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 10:23:50 PM

I'm curious... I've heard people say that the KnC chips are just fpga copies.. but I've not heard it from any legitimate nor direct sources.  Do you have a source for that info?   Its often said by hashfast as one of the FUDs that they spread, but i really haven't seen it directly mentioned anywhere.

And anyway, if they've got them running at less than 1 Watt per GH, at the wall.. thats pretty acceptable to me.  Its not as low power as hf or ct, but then, they're nit shipping yet... so the difference is moot.

I don't have a source for that.  KnC may be standard cell, but getting the same efficiency at 28nm as Bitfury got at 55nm could be responsible for the popular 'FPGA copy' assumption.

Anyway, this is a Cointerra thread so let's get back to speculating about the reasons for their failed tape-out and (possibly related) decision to hire new people for their next chip.   Cool

Are you really that bad intended? Bitfury is ~2W/GH while KNC is ~1W/GH-~1.3W/GH(reports vary)

Edit: Is iCEBREAKER the cypherdoc of Cointerra?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:51:01 AM

I'm curious... I've heard people say that the KnC chips are just fpga copies.. but I've not heard it from any legitimate nor direct sources.  Do you have a source for that info?   Its often said by hashfast as one of the FUDs that they spread, but i really haven't seen it directly mentioned anywhere.

And anyway, if they've got them running at less than 1 Watt per GH, at the wall.. thats pretty acceptable to me.  Its not as low power as hf or ct, but then, they're nit shipping yet... so the difference is moot.

I don't have a source for that.  KnC may be standard cell, but getting the same efficiency at 28nm as Bitfury got at 55nm could be responsible for the popular 'FPGA copy' assumption.

Anyway, this is a Cointerra thread so let's get back to speculating about the reasons for their failed tape-out and (possibly related) decision to hire new people for their next chip.   Cool

Are you really that bad intended? Bitfury is ~2W/GH while KNC is ~1W/GH-~1.3W/GH(reports vary)

Bitfury, 400 GH system (16x H-boards) uses a lot less than 800W at the wall it is closer to 400W.  Some boards which overclock and overvolt the chips have lower efficiency although I haven't seen one that is as bad at 2 W/GH.  Not sure where you are getting your info.
hamburgerhelper

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:50:38 AM

Ok, awesome "I did a science!" graphic. That made me laugh.

As a Cointerra customer, I'm pissed about their 30 day warranty. I was really galled by their announcement that they'd extend it to 60 days if I bought hosting from them. A 1 month warranty is a joke. It basically says, "We're not sure if this is going to be working in 2 months, but if its not, that's your problem."

What if they release a firmware update on day 31 that bricks my rig? What if their water block cooling springs a leak? Maybe you don't think that these particular scenarios are likely, but the experienced among us know that things can break in ways we can't predict. This policy passes increased risk to individual miners. In this ASIC crapshoot, we're already putting enough money at risk.

As a contrast, my KnC rig is backed by a 12 MONTH warranty. If it frys after 1 year, I've already made all the coins its going to make. That's how you treat your customers, in my opinion. If Cointerra doesn't change this policy, guess who's getting my 2nd generation ASIC order?

If Cointerra is confident that they're building a good product, then they should stand behind it.
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:54:47 AM

I'm curious... I've heard people say that the KnC chips are just fpga copies.. but I've not heard it from any legitimate nor direct sources.  Do you have a source for that info?   Its often said by hashfast as one of the FUDs that they spread, but i really haven't seen it directly mentioned anywhere.

And anyway, if they've got them running at less than 1 Watt per GH, at the wall.. thats pretty acceptable to me.  Its not as low power as hf or ct, but then, they're nit shipping yet... so the difference is moot.

I don't have a source for that.  KnC may be standard cell, but getting the same efficiency at 28nm as Bitfury got at 55nm could be responsible for the popular 'FPGA copy' assumption.

Anyway, this is a Cointerra thread so let's get back to speculating about the reasons for their failed tape-out and (possibly related) decision to hire new people for their next chip.   Cool

Bitfury, 400 GH system (16x H-boards) uses a lot less than 800W at the wall it is closer to 400W.  Some boards which overclock and overvolt the chips have lower efficiency although I haven't seen one that is as bad at 2 W/GH.  Not sure where you are getting your info.

I remember that i read some posts in the US Bitfury thread. Too lazy to search for them. I can admit that i was wrong, no problem there. Waiting for someone else do the dirty job of searching posts.

Edit: Or maybe it was some cryptx thread. I just knew those numbers. Any proof is welcomed.

RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:59:39 AM

Ok my mistake then!

Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:47:34 AM

large investors of cointerra, I welcome to contact me privately

aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 12:08:44 PM

thats a bit cryptic...  i think you'd have more chance of them contacting you if they knew why

and this forum may not be the place to find them... 
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 06:08:43 PM

What large investors?  They don't have any.

CryptX is the closest thing to one, but their IPO has barely raised a couple million.

The market was simply tapped out and IPO fatigued by the time Cointerra arrived late to the game.

There's only so much room for firms competing to be The Next ASICminerTM, and Cointerra didn't find a seat when the music stopped.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:11:39 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2013, 06:38:56 PM by DeathAndTaxes

How's the power consumption?

At the moment, I don't have anything to measure it, I will come back to you.
But it can't be much, the whole setup doesn't even get lukewarm Smiley

Somewhat off topic but 517 GH/s?  I thought it was more like 400 GH/s stock.  Did you modify the boards for overclocking?
aerobatic

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:12:55 PM

What large investors?  They don't have any.

CryptX is the closest thing to one, but their IPO has barely raised a couple million.

The market was simply tapped out and IPO fatigued by the time Cointerra arrived late to the game.

There's only so much room for firms competing to be The Next ASICminerTM, and Cointerra didn't find a seat when the music stopped.

i think thats a little unfair (and not surprising really, coming from you).  both hashfast and cointerra have sold out of their first two batches, so thats actually a pretty high amount of pre-orders in both cases.  we're talking millions of dollars here for each batch...  these aren't fly by night companies with zero sales.  and i think the sales of cointerra are probably more diversified (read decentralised) as their sales are mostly retail sales.

-- jez
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 06:29:52 PM

i think thats a little unfair (and not surprising really, coming from you).  both hashfast and cointerra have sold out of their first two batches, so thats actually a pretty high amount of pre-orders in both cases.  we're talking millions of dollars here for each batch...  these aren't fly by night companies with zero sales.  and i think the sales of cointerra are probably more diversified (read decentralised) as their sales are mostly retail sales.

-- jez

All Hail Sir Jez of the Holy Order of White Knights!   Cool

I am fully aware Cointerra sold out their first retail batch (the Coindesk article isn't exactly Top Secret  Roll Eyes).

I am also fully aware of the ASIC business investment climate at the time CT launched.

I was first in line to buy a massive stake of IceDrill shares, and almost bought an equal amount of CryptX.

Luckily, I fell asleep before trading began and thought better of it the next day.

I'm certain I dodged a bullet, because Cointerra has been a comedy of errors since the days of their megalomaniacal scheme to control 20% or whatever of total hashrate.

That nonsense ended in tears, as will their latest hubristic 'Whatever HashFast Does, Plus One' play for cash.

If you know of other (nearly) large(-ish) Cointerra investors besides CryptX, please name them and I'll admit being less than completely right.

Otherwise my assertions stand unchallenged, and I'm being completely fair.

PS  Sir pankkake, $1.5 million is hardly a "large" investment.  Anything under $2 million is small or medium when 28nm NRE costs ~$5 million.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:37:27 PM

Some what off topic but 517 GH/s?  I thought it was more like 400 GH/s stock.  Did you modify the boards for overclocking?

BFSB sold them as 400 GH/s full kits, but nearly all of them make 500+ GH/s. My boards are unmodified, I will play around with that when they brake even equated the loss I made from the other actual ASIC all-stars.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:39:54 PM

Some what off topic but 517 GH/s?  I thought it was more like 400 GH/s stock.  Did you modify the boards for overclocking?

BFSB sold them as 400 GH/s full kits, but nearly all of them make 500+ GH/s. My boards are unmodified, I will play around with that when they brake even equated the loss I made from the actual ASIC all-stars.

Impressive.  It makes me think a 28nm die shrink of Bitfury (Bitfury28) could be <0.5 J/GH at the wall (with high efficiency PSU).
aerobatic

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:42:16 PM

All Hail Sir Jez of the Holy Order of White Knights!   Cool

I am fully aware Cointerra sold out their first retail batch (the Coindesk article isn't exactly Top Secret  Roll Eyes).

I am also fully aware of the ASIC business investment climate at the time CT launched.

I was first in line to buy a massive stake of IceDrill shares, and almost bought an equal amount of CryptX.

Luckily, I fell asleep before trading began and thought better of it the next day.

I'm certain I dodged a bullet, because Cointerra has been a comedy of errors since the days of their megalomaniacal scheme to control 20% or whatever of total hashrate.

That nonsense ended in tears, as will their latest hubristic 'Whatever HashFast Does, Plus One' play for cash.

If you know of other (nearly) large(-ish) Cointerra investors besides CryptX, please name them and I'll admit being less than completely right.

Otherwise my assertions stand unchallenged, and I'm being completely fair.

PS  Sir pankkake, $1.5 million is hardly a "large" investment.  Anything under $2 million is small or medium when 28nm NRE costs ~$5 million.

Icebreaker.. you keep trying to throw shit at cointerra without looking closer to home.   both hashfast AND cointerra raised private investment at around the same time.  Any accusation you can level at cointerra you have exactly the same situation with hashfast.  the shit you're trying to pull doesn't work because it applies equally to your strange bedfellow.

And as for the IceDrill deal, that wasn't an investment... that was a bulk purchase.  they're customers of hashfast, like the rest of us.  Do you think they're happy customers... why not ask them?

theres no nonsense going on... and theres no tears.   both hashfast AND cointerra are doing pretty well.   Not as well as KnC or BFL, but still all of those guys are doing pretty well.  Ironically the one who isn't, right now, is AsicMiner, who had a brilliant start and has failed to follow through.

And don't start saying that $1.5m isn't a large investment.  it was enough... and it was more than some and less than others.   Do you know, by any chance, how much your team raised?   I'm curious to hear your view.
bobsag3

Activity: 546

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:42:28 PM

Some what off topic but 517 GH/s?  I thought it was more like 400 GH/s stock.  Did you modify the boards for overclocking?

BFSB sold them as 400 GH/s full kits, but nearly all of them make 500+ GH/s. My boards are unmodified, I will play around with that when they brake even equated the loss I made from the actual ASIC all-stars.

Impressive.  It makes me think a 28nm die shrink of Bitfury (Bitfury28) could be <0.5 J/GH at the wall (with high efficiency PSU).
As long as I never have to use chainminer, I would be on board.
aerobatic

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:44:45 PM

D&T... since both hashfast, cointerra, and a bunch of others are claiming 0.6W/GH/s for non-custom 28nm.. i see no reason why a full custom bitfury can't do better than that... but when will it come?  and will any one else supersede it?  bitmine also claims full custom (but i doubt it as they did that really quickly!)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:46:13 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2013, 07:05:28 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Some what off topic but 517 GH/s?  I thought it was more like 400 GH/s stock.  Did you modify the boards for overclocking?

Impressive.  It makes me think a 28nm die shrink of Bitfury (Bitfury28) could be <0.5 J/GH at the wall (with high efficiency PSU).

D&T... since both hashfast, cointerra, and a bunch of others are claiming 0.6W/GH/s for non-custom 28nm.. i see no reason why a full custom bitfury can't do better than that... but when will it come?  and will any one else supersede it?  bitmine also claims full custom (but i doubt it as they did that really quickly!)

Well 0.6 J/GH at the chip isn't <0.5 J/GH at the wall.  I honestly could give two craps about the at chip efficiency unless the company selling them is willing to a) pay for all the non-chip power use or b) I was designing my own miner and buying raw chips by the reel.  "Full custom" has no standard definition in the industry anymore.  So nobody can say their chip isn't "full custom" and it also means absolutely nothing.  

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: