Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:27:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast launches sales of the Baby Jet  (Read 119551 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 11:17:16 PM

Where are we heading after silicon? Graphene?

I don't know.  There is lots of cool stuff being researched but nobody has been able to figure out how to make it economical (yet).  It is a big difference between someone made a transistor on xyz exotic tech and someone can crank out chips with billions of those transistors at a cost of a few pennies per mm2.

The "problem" is that Silicon has been too good.   When Silicon can double (transistor per mm2, computing per watt, transistor per $) every 24 months it is very tough to compete with that.   I guess over the next decade as silicon runs out of steam it will create an opportunity for someone to get the lab tech out of the labs and into the foundries.  Then again people have been talking about all that exotic tech for the past three decades and we just keep using silicon and make the transistors smaller, faster, cheaper each generation.
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:19:50 AM

There will be no 20nm miner by any vendor for quite a while.   20nm being available =/= 20nm cheaper than 28nm.   20nm will probably be available in volume next year (at 50% to 150% higher prices).  It generally takes 2-3 years before a new process node becomes cheaper than the prior one.  Maybe in late 2016 but 2017 seems more likely.

Color me surprised, KnC claims to be working on a 20/16nm chip already:

Unbeknown to the community we are currently developing the next generation product in 20nm/16nm process with Alchip,

https://www.kncminer.com/news

I very much doubt this chip will materialize, as the economics most likely dont make sense (by the time it would arrive, price per TH would be so low it would be very hard to recover the NRE), unless they start another round of preorders fairly soon and enough people are dumb enough to fall for it yet again.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 08:23:51 AM

^^which paste is missing for the HashFast chips?  Grin

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 11:18:06 AM

There will be no 20nm miner by any vendor for quite a while.   20nm being available =/= 20nm cheaper than 28nm.   20nm will probably be available in volume next year (at 50% to 150% higher prices).  It generally takes 2-3 years before a new process node becomes cheaper than the prior one.  Maybe in late 2016 but 2017 seems more likely.

Unbeknown to the community we are currently developing the next generation product in 20nm/16nm process with Alchip,

I very much doubt this chip will materialize, as the economics most likely dont make sense (by the time it would arrive, price per TH would be so low it would be very hard to recover the NRE), unless they start another round of preorders fairly soon and enough people are dumb enough to fall for it yet again.

NRE?  Don't you think that maybe KNC already has those costs covered from the revenues generated by their Gen 1 devices?  Would they really need preorder money at this point?
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 11:19:08 AM

Probably the KNC design is the only sense that would make sense to have at 14 or 20nm.
It's cheap for them.
It's just an fpga conversion, right?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Bargraphics

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 02:12:04 PM

Probably the KNC design is the only sense that would make sense to have at 14 or 20nm.
It's cheap for them.
It's just an fpga conversion, right?

I would be surprised if they didn't do a full custom at this size.

They saved a lot of money/time by not doing a full custom on the 28nm node allowing them to push the money saved/made from being first to produce to the lower node and maintaining their competitive edge as well as being the first on that node as well.

Also to correct you, their last 28nm is standard cell which is one step up from a straight forward FPGA conversion (like eASIC)

I agree with Puppet that the NRE will be very difficult to gather back as the price of ASICs become less and less expensive, however KnC might be in the only position to actually pull this off since they got a slight head start. If they do produce this first, I imagine that any other Bitcoin ASIC Manufacturer would literally be stuck with their 28nm node as the NRE could never be paid for at that point.

Then again, could just be a marketing ploy that other vendors have used to trick customers into thinking the company they chose will stay competitive.
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 02:17:24 PM

NRE?  Don't you think that maybe KNC already has those costs covered from the revenues generated by their Gen 1 devices?  Would they really need preorder money at this point?

Need? Nope. Nor did BFL need preorders to fund Monarch NRE. THe thing is that it locks in preorders at far too high prices, and without those orders its much more questionable if it would make financial sense to spend that money on a new chip.  By the time this chip might come out, prices for 28nm chips would probably be below $100/TH. The new chip might get you higher margins due to its better efficiency, but it wont be anywhere near todays margins, so it will be very difficult to recover the NRE which will also be higher than that of current chips.
HashFast_CL

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

HashFast Community Liaison

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 12:37:03 AM

As of two months ago, HashFast was...

...already well into development for its second-generation chip, which uses a FinFet design. FinFet uses 3D structures, in which the microscopic transistors on the chip rise above the planar substrate on the chip. This gives them more volume than a traditional transistor gate, which enables them to conduct electricity more effectively, reducing the necessary voltage and increasing switching performance. The result is a faster, lower-power chip.

“It’s the most aggressive design available in our time schedules,” said Barber, who believes he’ll be taping out this chip in the fourth quarter. He wouldn’t say what process node the design used, but CoinDesk notes that last year, TSMC announced plans for a 16 nm FinFet capability in early 2014.

http://www.coindesk.com/hashfast-tapes-out-400-ghsec-28-nm-mining-chip/

"Bitcoin enables ordinary people to fight back, to avoid and evade snooping governments, which enact, use and abuse laws that allow them, without due process, to investigate, tax, control and seize privately owned assets."  -   Leon Louw

“We can say without equivocation that firms like MasterCard, Visa and the TBTF banks like JPMorgan and Goldman hate the idea of ever having to compete for business again. They have grown comfortable in their corrupt world of writing laws for themselves without any regulatory oversight. They enjoy the exorbitant privilege of bilking the American economy with extortionary transaction rates. They are scared of Bitcoin. And they should be. It offers transparency, cost efficiency and anonymity.” - Max Kaiser
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:03:43 AM

Hahaha   how is that cointerra chip materializing???

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:06:19 AM

As of two months ago, HashFast was...

...already well into development for its second-generation chip, which uses a FinFet design. FinFet uses 3D structures, in which the microscopic transistors on the chip rise above the planar substrate on the chip. This gives them more volume than a traditional transistor gate, which enables them to conduct electricity more effectively, reducing the necessary voltage and increasing switching performance. The result is a faster, lower-power chip.

“It’s the most aggressive design available in our time schedules,” said Barber, who believes he’ll be taping out this chip in the fourth quarter. He wouldn’t say what process node the design used, but CoinDesk notes that last year, TSMC announced plans for a 16 nm FinFet capability in early 2014.

http://www.coindesk.com/hashfast-tapes-out-400-ghsec-28-nm-mining-chip/

is this your big press release??   How's that swanky substrate?

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:21:25 AM

Well "working on" doesn't mean intend to launch in 2014.  KNC has ASIC engineers. The chips are done unless they intend to say "thanks for all the hard work guys but you are now fired" there is something for them to work on and that is the next version.  We will see in the end but I am still confident no sub 28nm in 2014 (and probably not 2015).  As you know (but often missed by others) TSMC having capacity doesn't mean TSMC having capacity at price point which makes it competitive with existing 28nm designs.
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 10:48:33 AM

As you know (but often missed by others) TSMC having capacity doesn't mean TSMC having capacity at price point which makes it competitive with existing 28nm designs.

This is debatable. Profit margins on BTC ASICs are so enormous that price difference between 28nm and  20/16nm probably doesn't matter. Of course we do not have data, but profit margins on KnC chips are probably in thousands of %. Will it stop them to order if 20nm chip is much more expensive?
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:02:19 AM

profit margins on KnC chips are probably in thousands of %.

But for how long? As the network hashrate grows exponentially, the value of these asics drops proportionally. Even the current rise of BTC value is almost meaningless compared to that.  IMO two things can happen; either these companies will start accepting preorders for 20nm chips in the next 3-4 months, or these chips wont materialize.
If they go down the early preorder route, they can lock in the NRE at no risk (other than to the miners who will be screwed again). If they dont, 3-4 months from here, my guess is mining profitability and asic margins will have dropped so low, its probably not worth it anymore.
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:16:27 AM

There will be no 20nm miner by any vendor for quite a while.   20nm being available =/= 20nm cheaper than 28nm.   20nm will probably be available in volume next year (at 50% to 150% higher prices).  It generally takes 2-3 years before a new process node becomes cheaper than the prior one.  Maybe in late 2016 but 2017 seems more likely.

Well "working on" doesn't mean intend to launch in 2014.  KNC has ASIC engineers. The chips are done unless they intend to say "thanks for all the hard work guys but you are now fired" there is something for them to work on and that is the next version.  We will see in the end but I am still confident no sub 28nm in 2014 (and probably not 2015).  As you know (but often missed by others) TSMC having capacity doesn't mean TSMC having capacity at price point which makes it competitive with existing 28nm designs.

Yeah, KNC gave their engineers (entire workforce) some busywork to keep them from getting underfoot of the assembly monkeys.  It was either that, or having the whole 10Gb company LAN flood with DooM traffic & having to spring for 100Gb Angry
Or they're doing exactly what they said -- working on the next gen, 20/16nm chip.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:26:18 PM

I would imagine that most vendors would look very long and hard about how viable moving to 22nm or lower is in the next couple years. The only real benefit would be the lowered power consumption; 22nm is likely close to as expensive on a per transistor basis as 28nm even outside of NRE. If a 22nm wafer cost the same to process as a 28nm one there might be a cost savings, but that's obviously not the case.
Performance wise, there really are going to be no benefit moving from 28nm to 22nm. Bitcoin is embarrassingly parallel, so there really isn't a performance penalty with using three 100mm^2 28nm dice in place of two 22nm ones at the same area to get the same hashrate.

My gut feeling (not backed up with any market research, BTW) is that the volume of shipments needed to justify the NRE on 20/22nm vs just dropping clocks and voltage on 28nm to reach the same power consumption will likely by much more than the market will be able to bear.
Bargraphics

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:44:29 PM

I would imagine that most vendors would look very long and hard about how viable moving to 22nm or lower is in the next couple years. The only real benefit would be the lowered power consumption; 22nm is likely close to as expensive on a per transistor basis as 28nm even outside of NRE. If a 22nm wafer cost the same to process as a 28nm one there might be a cost savings, but that's obviously not the case.
Performance wise, there really are going to be no benefit moving from 28nm to 22nm. Bitcoin is embarrassingly parallel, so there really isn't a performance penalty with using three 100mm^2 28nm dice in place of two 22nm ones at the same area to get the same hashrate.

My gut feeling (not backed up with any market research, BTW) is that the volume of shipments needed to justify the NRE on 20/22nm vs just dropping clocks and voltage on 28nm to reach the same power consumption will likely by much more than the market will be able to bear.

However, once margins become that thin if you are the first with 16/20/22nm tech and it is superior even in just power consumption, that company alone would have no competition since no one else would be able to get their NRE back from being second or third.

Hell First might not get it back, but it definitely would be close and secure your place as Industry Leader.
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:21:24 PM

Does anyone have an educated guesstimate of what the NRE for a 20/16nm asic would be?
Bargraphics

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:36:50 PM

Does anyone have an educated guesstimate of what the NRE for a 20/16nm asic would be?

Apple maybe?

We know the cost of 28nm Full Custom is somewhere around 4-6M (Entire Process including Chips) so I imagine slightly below double that possibly.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:39:45 PM

It is more about TIME.   The cost depends on complexity but the amount of time it would take would make it a risky bet to tie up your money on considering you have F/X risk during the entire process.   3-4M is a solid bet vs. 2-2.5M for 28

minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:44:47 PM

Seeing that king of the chips Intel is having yield issues with 14nm, pushing back their broadwell line, i don't see bitcoin asics <22nm anytime soon. I think 2015 is extremely optomistic, and even then pretty pointless  and risky unless we want to mine on our cell phones or something. A lot of miners I know don't have power costs or space concerns, and will gladly buy up any cheap 22nm chips as fast as you spit them out...

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 »
  Print  

Jump to: