Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:06:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 166 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MasterCoin Buyer/Seller Thread  (Read 226631 times)
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 11:58:47 AM
Last edit: October 26, 2013, 01:08:21 PM by Luckybit

The claim that Mastercoin1 will not become secondary to Mastercoin2, and using bitcoin as an example is really not the best argument. The community revolving Mastercoin1, the first to market exposure, and branding will all play a role in helping Mastercoin1. Unfortunately if bitcoin was premined among satoshi and co, and was hoarded in hopes of speculative riches, litecoin would be the big player today. People underestimate the adoption role distribution methodology serves. This is one of the key reasons Ripple has not received mass adoption by the bitcoin community so far (Not to say Ripple1 and Mastercoin1 won't be successful).

Additionally since the claim here is that Mastercoin is a unit of measurement, there is in fact a huge incentive for competing Mastercoin networks. In the end, the only advantage I see Mastercoin1 having is a speculative advantage which will probably pop along with the first big market crash. Associating a separate value to Mastercoins is a self-hindering feature which is really only there to serve an ROI pathway for the original investors (something which I recognize was needed for the crowdfunding to succeed, capitalizing purely on people's dreams and hopes of getting rich...not their altruistic motives). Yes I understand the claims of why mastercoins "NEED" a value, but it sounds to me more like circular logic and a crippled solution.
I don't agree with it. I think separation from Bitcoin is a good thing when trying to create a unit of measurement because it allows Bitcoin developers to focus on making Bitcoin a unit of account. Bitcoin is not more valuable than Walmart credits if Walmart has a higher market cap and is in greater demand, but with Mastercoin the Walmart corporation can issue their Walmart credits directly to users through Mastercoin. Amazon coin or Google coin through Mastercoin would work just fine over Mastercoin. You or I could also issuer our credits through Mastercoin.

I don't think the price and speculation of Mastercoin is important because it's not something which functions in a way which can be popped easily like Bitcoin can be, because I believe Mastercoin will be backed by real goods and services and not just people putting USD into it as an investment. What matters is the ability to get an abundance of goods and services. The price of the dollar is only of value when compared to the price of something else like gold or silver (which originally backed the dollar). The price is a result of having a unit of measurement. The unit of measurement sets all the prices of all the issuers. What matters for us is to have the ability to issue credits which represent the true value of our goods and services which can be redeemed by someone else while also having a market place where we can access credits which represent the goods and services of anyone else. Goods and services ultimately create the value for Mastercoin (not Bitcoins). Bitcoins are just the transport layer to carry the information which represents the true value which is the goods and services that those credits represent.

If I can buy Google or Walmart credits with my Mastercoins and the Mastercoins somehow are less effective at it then that can be adjusted to make Mastercoin more effective. The price of the Mastercoins in dollars does not matter if I can get the same amount of goods and services.

The value of Mastercoin is what matters and that buying power matters in relation to the redeemed goods and services of issuers, not the credits from issuers. Meaning the Mastercoins are used to allow issuers to issue credits in the first place and any large corporation could issue credits which are more expensive than Bitcoin because price is measured by whatever is backing Mastercoin's escrow and not necessarily exclusively Bitcoin.

Colored Coin is a technology but it's design in my opinion is ugly and unnecessarily complicated. Maybe it will work but I don't see how it can work without the value going somewhere. If someone is issuing credit or currencies then it's got to be backed by something somewhere and represented somewhere. If it's backed by Mastercoins then you'd say it's represented by Mastercoins which act as the unit of measurement. If I wanted to issue a currency or credits through Colored Coin then perhaps it's possible but I don't know what their specification is or how they intend to do it. I'll believe it when I see a prototype.

Colored coin technology is actually superior to Mastercoins in terms of being "backed". You can color whatever amount of bitcoins you would like as a single unit, directly. So for example 15 btc = 1 goldcoin; that goldcoin is in fact 15 bitcoins forever.

I don't believe it to be superior. What Colored Coins will do is cause less people to use Bitcoin as a currency and more people to have to use Bitcoin as a unit of measurement (which it's not designed for and shouldn't do).
Bitcoin is a unit of account, a credit/currency designed by Satoshi and issued by miners. It's not in my opinion going to be capable of being good at being both the unit of measurement and a currency at the same time for the same reason that gold and silver weren't good at being both a unit of measurement and a unit of account at the same time.

We moved from to fiat currency for a good reason, we moved to vouchers for a good reason, it was to move beyond the limits of what gold and silver could do. You couldn't issue virtual gold and virtual silver without a voucher or credit or fiat system to allow you to issue pieces of paper which represent gold or silver. Silver went from being a unit of account to being a unit of measurement and that was one of the greatest changes in the economy because it allowed any shop keeper to issuer their own credits, their own currency, their own voucher backed by their own goods and services with silver being used merely as a measure on the value of their goods and services. Nothing in the economic eco-system was more valuable than gold so gold was used merely in comparison to everything else. My goods and services are valued as 20 pieces of gold, 20 pieces of gold is relatively stable and does not change drastically, so we can use 20 pieces of gold to know exactly how much my goods and services are worth. But when people actually buy my goods and services they use my vouchers, my credits, my currency, not 20 pieces of gold.

Bitcoin could try to take on the functionality of gold but it's hard for Bitcoin to be programmed to function like gold while also allowing it to function like a currency. It's basically saying that Bitcoin will be divided in such a way that on the one hand you will have a perpetual coin (Bitcoin), but also a credit coin (user currency), and that Bitcoin will somehow be able to act as a unit of measurement for the credit coin. I'm skeptical that Bitcoin being what it is and the focus development is currently going that it can achieve that.

With Mastercoin the price of Bitcoins does not matter. If you use Colored Coins and the price of Bitcoins were to go down wouldn't that affect everything backed by Bitcoins? That is the problem I can see. The problem being that Bitcoin will be used for too many things and its use as a currency may create instability for it as a unit of measurement while Mastercoin will primarily be a unit of measurement so it does not have the same potential problems trying to be two things at once.

Maybe you see a way around this but when something is supposed to be a unit of measurement its supposed to provide stability but I don't see any way something volatile like Bitcoin can provide stability at this time when it has to be mined, has block reward halving events every 4 years, (I think Proof of Stake might work for stability but Proof of Work actually contributes to the volatility). Theoretically possible, but I don't think it's going to work in practice.

Oh the other hand, Mastercoin proposes a controversial feature of escrow backed currencies which my economic sense tells me cannot work. The issuance is not being measured on the value of Mastercoins; in reality it is being measured by the MSC to BTC relationship since BTC is where the trust and redeemability exists today. So if for example you issues gold through mastercoin, potential for loss of trust and catastrophic collapse can occur on 2 levels, both if BTC losses value AND if MSC losses value.
BuyMastercoin if I can redeem my Mastercoins for the products and services offered by the issuer what do I need Bitcoins for? If you're a car company and you offer Ford coins to anyone who has Mastercoins then what exactly would I need Bitcoins for if I'm trying to trade for car products? Okay you're a video game company called Nintendo and you offer Nintendo credits and I have Mastercoins so I trade for those Nintendo credits, so what exactly do I need Bitcoins for? When we have a decentralized market place I can trade Mastercoins for any kind of credits, any kind of currency (including Bitcoins but not limited to Bitcoins). And that is where I think we disagree.

I think Mastercoins do not need the value of Bitcoin because Mastercoins can be redeemed for the goods and services of the issuer. If you issue BuyMasterCoin credits, then anyone who owns Mastercoins could purchase your credits so why would Bitcoins be needed unless you believe Bitcoins are the only valuable form of credit that exists and in that case I don't believe Bitcoin is even as valuable as Visa or Mastercard. I don't think Bitcoin is even as valuable as Ford or Nintendo if you look at the market cap. What I'm saying is that Mastercoin will inherit the value of all the corporate privately issued credit, all the points, all sorts of virtual currencies, gift cards, private currencies, gold. Mastercoin as a protocol will allow the creation of a Local Exchange Trading System or a Community Exchange System. If trade is facilitated decentralized, and anyone can issue credit, there is no need to care about the price of Bitcoin because people will buy Mastercoins with cash the same way people currently buy Bitcoins with cash.

If you're saying right now it's easiest to buy Mastercoins with Bitcoin then sure. In the future corporations will be knocking each other over to issue credits/ gift cards and currencies on top of the Mastercoin protocol and if my understanding is correct they'll need Mastercoins to do it.
Regardless the only way to truly back an asset in the REAL WORLD is to have that asset on hand, or hedge the position elsewhere (otherwise it's a bucket shop). No magic voodoo self fulfilling prophecy escrow account can change that, and if it could you'll see JR receiving a nobel prize.
It has worked in the past. How do you think the economy used to work? What do you think banks did and how do you think vouchers came about? Originally if we are all business owners in a market then we all have goods and services we want to trade with each other. We cannot use gold or silver coins because those tend to get hoarded, rely on scarcity, and because of that are best used as a unit of measurement rather than as a unit of account. What happened was human beings who wanted to trade with each other first started with barter, but that wasn't very flexible, so they created a unit of account (money) to allow the tracking of cost and price, but the gold and silver form didn't function very well as money because while it could be stored forever that easily stored forever quality also made it easy to hoard.

Hoarded gold and hoarded silver is worthless to the economy. They eventually figured out to use gold and silver as units of measurement and to use trade vouchers and private credit currencies as units of account. So no one really needed to have gold other than to use as escrow to issue private currencies. Now each shop keeper could and did issue their own vouchers. The most valuable and useful vouchers were in the greatest demand, and everyone traded their goods and services for those vouchers. As a result everyone eventually started working for those vouchers. Those vouchers were actually backed by the goods and services of the issuer so if it's a bread voucher it's backed by bread and since everyone has to eat it means the bread voucher was extremely valuable to the economy. The unit of measurement (gold and silver) were only used to provide escrow and produce a price and cost for the goods and services offered by the issuer. The majority of people in the economy did not have to care about the price of gold and silver and did not own much gold and silver as it was used to measure the value of other things against it. A loaf of bread is worth a certain amount of silver, and that amount can increase or decrease by some percentage points, no one really cares the price of gold or silver because if the bread is more expensive then the bread can be redeemed for more gold or silver but if the bread is less expensive then the bread is redeemed for less gold or silver. That is basically what Mastercoin is doing with the user currencies. If the user currency is in high demand then the escrow produces more of them to adjust the supply to meet the demand. If its in less demand then the escrow destroys some of them to adjust.

As long as we can get plenty of bread, we have no reason to care about the price in Mastercoins because eventually you'll be able to trade swap credits/user currencies. If I have too much bread I can trade it for tickets to the concert or anything else I want in the market place.

So while colored coins is backed directly by bitcoin, Mastercoin issued coins are at much higher risk of speculative attack. That's not to say Mastercoins don't have their own advantages, but when it comes to representing value or a unit of measurement, MSC falls short.

Yes I do help run buymastercoin.com, yes I am realistic about the technology, NO I'm not hyping magic fairy tales of pots of gold at the end of the rainbow. Caveat emptor.

I think you do not fully understand the implications of the Mastercoin protocol. What Mastercoin is doing is actually old, it's not some new formula just because it's high tech. It's true it's never been done with computers and in a decentralized way, but it has been done before and its not what you think.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pale Phoenix

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 01:34:14 PM

Yes I do help run buymastercoin.com, yes I am realistic about the technology, NO I'm not hyping magic fairy tales of pots of gold at the end of the rainbow. Caveat emptor.

Right. Or perhaps you've sold off your holdings and want to keep the price down to buy back in. I'm sorry you're a spectator now, but that's no reason to clog up this trading thread with arguments that have been debunked elsewhere.

ASICSRUS

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Expert Computer Geek

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 01:37:39 PM

"..The claim that Mastercoin1 will not become secondary to Mastercoin2,.. "

woah woah waoh Mastercoin 1 is MST!! it's listed on cryptsy!!!lol

&
v
v
v

"Oh the other hand, Mastercoin proposes a controversial feature of escrow backed currencies which my economic sense tells me cannot work."

yes read and re-read the satoshi white paper_?_ building escrow/trust into bitcoin?
 huh?-imo: not even!  Roll Eyes

✰ If You Risk Nothing, You Risk Everything | PrimeDice.com | The New Way To Roll | *Thread*

<3<3:::LOVE^YOUR^NEIGHBOR!!!:::|+i|_33+(((PLEASE)))====>Donate if you like me!~> 157YEcD4WQ9UbhZ7NSC2FpuaYfxHe3JgF2
lishbtc

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:28:42 AM

I'll put another sell offer up at 250MSC @ 0.1 each.

maxmint

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:30:58 AM

I'll put another sell offer up at 250MSC @ 0.1 each.

Added to the order book.

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 12:53:47 AM

OK, for the record, I have sent 10 bitcoins to Faraday in exchange for 100 mastercoins. (0.1 BTC / MSC)

Thanks, Mastercoins have been sent. (Will PM you with transaction details)

Good price. I bought some MSC earlier at  (0.12 BTC / MSC)

culexevilman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin is too valuable to be used as a currency

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 02:39:10 PM

Sures quiet in here...
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 04:44:12 PM

Hi !
I want to buy 10 mastercoins with 1 bitcoin.
maxmint

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 04:47:02 PM

Hi !
I want to buy 10 mastercoins with 1 bitcoin.

I added you to the order book. There are 2 people currently selling for 0.1 BTC (Faraday,lishbtc), you might contact them to get a deal.

Mr. Sway

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 06:06:38 PM

Mastercoin just doesn't look like it's gonna go anywhere I hope I am wrong.

I sell cheap Pizza!
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 06:47:59 PM

I'm still not sure everything is fine or not...

Yesterday I bought 1 MSC via BuyMastercoin.com

I sent 0.19BTC to the BuyMastercoin given address from my BlockChain.info wallet. (Let me first say that I already had 0.0005 BTC in this wallet prior to sending extra 0.19BTC from my BitStamp for the reason of buying MSC)

Ok, so I did the transfer and now I have 0.00056 BTC in my Blockchain wallet address. (0.00006 back from BuyMastercoin and 0.0005 from before).

Also, 1 MSC is showing fine in the MasterCoin Explorer on that BTC address.

Now I have 3 questions:

1. Is this extra 0.0005 there fine?
2. How do I get the private key for this address from the BlockChain.info?
3. Most importantly: If I move the total of 0.00056 to some other address does that mean I moved the whole 1 MSC?? (email support man told me I move them via MasterCoin Advisor, but i'm still not sure what this 0.00056 in my Bchain address is).  

Geez, thanks Smiley
SyRenity

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 06:51:49 PM
Last edit: October 27, 2013, 07:04:15 PM by SyRenity

Will sell 10 MSC for 1 BTC, up to 1000 MSC max (need to keep some for me Smiley ).

P.S:. Please add me to order book, much obliged!
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:04:20 PM

I'm still not sure everything is fine or not...

Yesterday I bought 1 MSC via BuyMastercoin.com

I sent 0.19BTC to the BuyMastercoin given address from my BlockChain.info wallet. (Let me first say that I already had 0.0005 BTC in this wallet prior to sending extra 0.19BTC from my BitStamp for the reason of buying MSC)

Ok, so I did the transfer and now I have 0.00056 BTC in my Blockchain wallet address. (0.00006 back from BuyMastercoin and 0.0005 from before).

Also, 1 MSC is showing fine in the MasterCoin Explorer on that BTC address.

Now I have 3 questions:

3. Most importantly: If I move the total of 0.00056 to some other address does that mean I moved the whole 1 MSC?? (email support man told me I move them via MasterCoin Advisor, but i'm still not sure what this 0.00056 in my Bchain address is).  

Geez, thanks Smiley

you can move the funds from that wallet, the mastercoins will remain there until you decide sending them using J.R's method(for now).
TKeenan

Activity: 874

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:14:46 PM

Mastercoin just doesn't look like it's gonna go anywhere I hope I am wrong.
MSC is going to go through the roof like a rocket.  'doesn't look like it's gonna go anywhere'Huh  OK - what about 10X in three months?  That's not anywhere.  OK - time to move on to good investments. 
maxmint

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:20:25 PM

Will sell 10 MSC for 1 BTC, up to 1000 MSC max (need to keep some for me Smiley ).

P.S:. Please add me to order book, much obliged!

Added to the order book.

maxmint

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:29:12 PM

You can have any Bitcoin balance on your Mastercoin address, that's no problem.

Just hit the "Import/Export" tab.

Moving the 0.00056 BTC does not move your Mastercoins. You would have to create a well defined transaction to move your Mastercoins, that won't happen unintentionally.
So you can spend your 0.00056 BTC and still have your Mastercoin balance.

BitcoinForumator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:45:30 PM

Moving the 0.00056 BTC does not move your Mastercoins. You would have to create a well defined transaction to move your Mastercoins, that won't happen unintentionally.

Ok got it (the blockchain part). One final thing I don't understand yet. Now I have a Mastercoin Explorer address which is public. What is my private part (haha, ok, private key?) in it? Because right now i'm thinking in terms of how bitcoin work (blockchain.info, wallets, and keys). But MasterCoin is on "top" of Bitcoin, you say. So even if i spend BTCs in this address the Mastercoins are still there. (huh?, i hope you see my confusion, but ok...i take this even if I don't get it)

I opened Mastercoin Advisor in command prompt, to see how this works (what i'm being asked for). Enter the address you wish to send to: random "sending to" address. Then, now i really don't understand this next part: Step 1, Step 2. Data address? And also, how does Advisor know how to connect to my MSC address, just via a "public address"? Where is the "private key" i have to put in to make this MSC just mine? In my mind, right now I only have an MSC address which is public (in the MasterCoin Explorer).
maxmint

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:51:52 PM

Ok got it (the blockchain part). One final thing I don't understand yet. Now I have a Mastercoin Explorer address which is public. What is my private part (haha, ok, private key?) in it? Because right now i'm thinking in terms of how bitcoin work (blockchain.info, wallets, and keys). But MasterCoin is on "top" of Bitcoin, you say. So even if i spend BTCs in this address the Mastercoins are still there. (huh?, i hope you see my confusion, but ok...i take this even if I don't get it)

I opened Mastercoin Advisor in command prompt, to see how this works (what i'm being asked for). Enter the address you wish to send to: random "sending to" address. Then, now i really don't understand this next part: Step 1, Step 2. Data address? And also, how does Advisor know how to connect to my MSC address, just via a "public address"? Where is the "private key" i have to put in to make this MSC just mine? In my mind, right now I only have an MSC address which is public (in the MasterCoin Explorer).

In order to send your Mastercoins to another address you would have to send 0.00006 BTC to each of the 3 addresses (generated by MastercoinAdvisor) from your MSC address. MastercoinAdvisor does not need to know the private key to your MSC address. It just tells you the 3 addresses, you still have to send to them from your MSC address manually.

If you want to do this, here's a little how-to for a blockchain.info wallet:
https://i.imgur.com/jOcELJN.png

BitcoinForumator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:19:09 PM

In order to send your Mastercoins to another address you would have to send 0.00006 BTC to each of the 3 addresses (generated by MastercoinAdvisor) from your MSC address. MastercoinAdvisor does not need to know the private key to your MSC address. It just tells you the 3 addresses, you still have to send to them from your MSC address manually.

If you want to do this, here's a little how-to for a blockchain.info wallet:
https://i.imgur.com/jOcELJN.png

I see. Very helpful picture (Sending MSC for Dummies...)

And the final nail, I won't send it yet, just teaching myself the process - if I want to now send MSC to a paper wallet address from Blockchain wallet one of those 3 addresses is the paper wallet address, the other 2 addresses are Advisor generated (Exodus and Data Address). Correct?

(curious, how did the 0.00006 come about?)
maxmint

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:31:45 PM

And the final nail, I won't send it yet, just teaching myself the process - if I want to now send MSC to a paper wallet address from Blockchain wallet one of those 3 addresses is the paper wallet address, the other 2 addresses are Advisor generated (Exodus and Data Address). Correct?

(curious, how did the 0.00006 come about?)

That's correct, you would send to these 3 addresses:
1. Exodus address
2. Recipient address (your paperwallet address)
3. Data address

The amount does not necessarily have to be 0.00006, it just has to be above the "dust" threshold.
Note that the method described above is a "Class A" transaction, there are also 2 other types of transactions – if you want to dive into this, have a read here:
https://masterchest.info/files/mscappendix_draft.pdf

Btw: this thread actually is for Mastercoin trades (posting of bids and asks etc). It might be better to post technical questions on the other Mastercoin threads.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 166 »
  Print  

Jump to: