Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:36:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I am quitting ICO's  (Read 6079 times)
StGermain

Activity: 224
Merit: 14

QuickX ICO

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 01:03:04 PM

I agree with you. Many ico's are just selling crap or not responding adequately to the investors. But I think that's the price of having the opportunity to generate a large profit in a small time. You just need to be more carefull in your picks.

"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RudolfHes

Activity: 189
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 01:09:19 PM

I decided to quit ICO's. From December till now I invested about 5 eth into several ICO's. Invest what you can miss, this is what was able to miss.

Right now the first few of my ICO's have reached the exchanges. Most are under performing, but this is related to the overall dip (can be read everywhere). I understand, but ICO token economics have changed also.

• massive hardcaps
  • most is sold in pre-sale to big investors, leaving scraps for crowdsale
  • much attention to marketing, less to working product or realistic time lines
  • immediately available on EtherDelta and IDEX, sure sign of little interest in token economics/future
  • no lock on pre-sale tokens, whales take their x2, x3 or x-whatever as soon as possible (I would probably have done the same). Prices drop to below ICO price.
  • too many ICO's without distinctive differences.
  • too many ICO's in general
  • too much tokens reserved for team/marketing
  • many ICO's don't even have a crowdsale anymore (which perhaps is a good thing as the little investors are protected this way)
  • ICO prizes are quite high. 1eth = 1000/4000 tokens is pretty common, but with a hc of 40 million, this will not easily go x10 or more.

I was 'unlucky' to miss out on a few ICO's besides the ones I was able to participate in. Afterwards I am glad, since I was able to pick most up at a fraction of the ICO price.

Important as ever: DYOR as not all ICO's have a genuine solution to a genuine problem. Some may seem like a fantastic solution, but often it is marketing combined with a strong team, and not so much a great working product.

And who am I? I am definitely a nobody Tongue, but still wanted to share my experiences and perhaps save people from thinking of getting on board of the next x100 ICO Smiley

p.s. when a Telegram has over 20k subscribers all screaming 'when lambo' with endless rows of animated gifs, you may also wonder if this is a serious block chain solution which will revolutionize 'x' Smiley

Therefore, I began to carefully study the projects, which would weed out 90% of the normal ICO that will actually make a profit. And not created to raise money and go to the islands.

♥ TRUEPLAY.io ♦
Transparent and honest gambling platform
PRE-SALE STARTS 15th APR, 2018
Kiweikoo

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:37:31 AM

I decided to quit ICO's. From December till now I invested about 5 eth into several ICO's. Invest what you can miss, this is what was able to miss.

Right now the first few of my ICO's have reached the exchanges. Most are under performing, but this is related to the overall dip (can be read everywhere). I understand, but ICO token economics have changed also.

• massive hardcaps
  • immediately available on EtherDelta and IDEX, sure sign of little interest in token economics/future
  • no lock on pre-sale tokens, whales take their x2, x3 or x-whatever as soon as possible (I would probably have done the same). Prices drop to below ICO price.
  • many ICO's don't even have a crowdsale anymore (which perhaps is a good thing as the little investors are protected this way)
  • ICO prizes are quite high. 1eth = 1000/4000 tokens is pretty common, but with a hc of 40 million, this will not easily go x10 or more.

I was 'unlucky' to miss out on a few ICO's besides the ones I was able to participate in. Afterwards I am glad, since I was able to pick most up at a fraction of the ICO price.

Important as ever: DYOR as not all ICO's have a genuine solution to a genuine problem. Some may seem like a fantastic solution, but often it is marketing combined with a strong team, and not so much a great working product.

And who am I? I am definitely a nobody Tongue, but still wanted to share my experiences and perhaps save people from thinking of getting on board of the next x100 ICO Smiley

p.s. when a Telegram has over 20k subscribers all screaming 'when lambo' with endless rows of animated gifs, you may also wonder if this is a serious block chain solution which will revolutionize 'x' Smiley
You’re  really making a lot of sense here.  I’m not into ICOs. I was beginning to consider it before seeing this post. And this post is really pointing out to the main points it’s  not making sense. I’d  better make straight investments, work on signature campaigns  and trading than the ICOs.

All these big whales are nothing but big spoilers,  they are used to taking advantage of others and everything  we do is just to make them rich.  Well, that’s  only for people  who are not smart enough. If you’re  smart,  it won’t work.
tetyulfania

Activity: 653
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:57:11 AM

The most thing point of your topic, where we want to buy the ico coin, we will know what the best ico coin have we buy, the first point is where the ico have reached the soft cap and it will be good for us to buy this ico coin and it will be this ico success. And another reason for buy the ico coin is the coin have sold out in pre sale moment, it will be most interting by the investor to buy this ico on cronwdsale.
Dragon5

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 06:34:46 AM

But we have to admit some ICOs are good value for money and are real start-ups producing apps or other products. We just have to be more precise and carefull chosing the "right " ICO. And more important, try to find managers we can trust, those who have already completed successful projects
btcrut2017

Activity: 406
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 09:45:16 AM

Interesting point of view. I encounter the same situation with yours although i invested in one ICO and spend only 1 ether. I bought on almost the last day and no more bonus. And when it hit the exchange the price dropped to almost 50 percent. My plan is to hold this coins to avoid further loses.
newbie-hero

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 02:08:09 PM

Ico is good to invest in if you can actually make money if those projects will be listed in those big exchange and not on etherdelta and hitbtc were most thing that happened is dump and sell out of panic.
I don't think Ico itself is bad but what is bad is our attitude towards how this market work , no one want to invest in a project because he believes in the future of those project but just to sell for profits.

Yes, there are many good projects, but difficult to find among the garbage and many have lost confidence in new ideas. I think that soon the market will begin to regulate and you will not have to worry about fraudulent projects.
ylnar123

Activity: 350

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 02:15:02 PM

• massive hardcaps

This perspective is interesting for new to ICO. Knowing that big investors are able to buy most of the tokens during pre-sale, so those invest during crowdsale of ICO gets little of what they want to profit because after ICO those big whales will dump their tokens when they see an increase in price after ICO. So for the beginners on ICO they better think about it but not totally quit or give up on ico because there is still promising ICO's out there, which only needs to be searched.

❤   humancoin   ❤   Join our whitelist!      ❤   humancoin   ❤
██████                   A new era of charity                    ██████
▄ ▄ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  Telegram | Reddit | Medium | Twitter | ANN Thread | Facebook   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄
lynlyn

Activity: 243

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 03:19:51 PM

Ico is good to invest in if you can actually make money if those projects will be listed in those big exchange and not on etherdelta and hitbtc were most thing that happened is dump and sell out of panic.
I don't think Ico itself is bad but what is bad is our attitude towards how this market work , no one want to invest in a project because he believes in the future of those project but just to sell for profits.

Yes, there are many good projects, but difficult to find among the garbage and many have lost confidence in new ideas. I think that soon the market will begin to regulate and you will not have to worry about fraudulent projects.
Yes very hard to find a good ICO but we have a bases to considered  before we joined and that is try to read thei platform like roadmap and Whitepaper.But the most of all is their team's background if they are capablre enough for the ICO project
panganib999

Activity: 1736
Merit: 589

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2018, 03:33:40 PM

New project could turn as a new opportunity if we could have a time to learn and to invest within our given knowledge ahead to support the project itself. It is to risky to take advantage on something that does not have a good future if we are talking about the process of just investing. We should also support the ICO so it could have a success in the future.
3la9l_kolbaCa

Activity: 896
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 03:38:27 PM

You have a very good point there because some of the ico's actually most of them are not paying, some of my friends saying that the ICO'S today generation is the new hyips. so many of them are showing up and then no payment at all.
jakelyson
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 03:59:22 PM

I agree with you. Many ico's are just selling crap or not responding adequately to the investors. But I think that's the price of having the opportunity to generate a large profit in a small time. You just need to be more carefull in your picks.

Maybe 1 out of 100 is a genuine good product. I have been joining bounty campaigns, and there are quite few ICOs that have real project that actually solves something. Those I found I did not just do bounty but invested as well. You just have to skim through all those bad ICO.
DikkieD (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 22

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 10:29:25 AM

A good example of an ICO gone wrong (in my opinion). I will not name the exact ICO though, don't want to FUD unnecessary.

Token metrics are as follows:

4 billion! tokens total
2 billion tokens in presale/crowdsale
Sold in crowdsale for $0.05 = $100 million cap
2 billion tokens left for marketing, team and such
NO COINS ARE BURNED

Project has potential, that is true...but this is a sharp contrast of many successful ICO's from around a year ago.....

Would you participate in an ICO with these token metrics?
StGermain

Activity: 224
Merit: 14

QuickX ICO

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 01:06:49 PM

s out on a few ICO's besides the ones I was able to participate in. Afterwards I am glad, since I was able to pick most up at a fraction of the ICO price.

There is a level of uninformed investment that is rarely seen in other aspects of life. people who would be reluctant to lend 100 $ to a friend go a throw a fortune to complete strangers. No wonder there are so many scams.

BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:55:21 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2018, 07:20:12 PM by BartS

Glad you came to the realization that most ICOs are a scam show and only fleece the current people in the market of their funds. I would hold all ICOs now and incoming to a higher standard and it warms my heart to know others are now doing the same. Kudos! Kiss
We really do not have a choice, icos want to hold us to an higher standard by demanding our documents and even worse now they have white lists of people they will allow to invest even earlier, at this point I have given up in icos and will never buy in the ico phase of a project again, icos used to be a way to support a good project and help the devs make their vision a reality and now they are only interested in getting as much money as possible as fast as they possibly can.
speem28

Activity: 546
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:04:05 PM

This "ICO" phenomenon is overhyped. This creates a lot of speculations that drive people crazy. People just buy and sell without researching and leads to their downfall. I hope you'll find another area in which you can succeed.
That is the common scenario, that people just buying and selling as soon as it hits an exchange, but the factors that trigger this event is the fact that they are easily swayed by FUDs about the ICO and FOMOing so they can't control themselves to hold the ICO they trusted investing in the first place  and keep the faith that it will recover in price or went on according to the roadmap of the project.

Most ICOs finished product is not being used in their use case and this is what hinders investors to give their full trust on it.
BitcoinTurk

Activity: 1624
Merit: 624

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:12:07 PM

You have touched on an interesting point and conveyed your useful experiences to us. ICO investments are also known as investment types, which generate significant amounts of profits to the investor if it is a high risk but a solid project. The best example of this is the GVT Token.
Idrisu

Activity: 924
Merit: 260

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:54:57 AM

I tried to quite icos last time when I invest in some projects and I loss heavly when the coins was completely dumped after it was listed in exchange platform. But there are some that have give good returned and I am still holding some coins also. Investment is very risky and ico investing is the most risk as the markets is not regulated. I will advise us to invest on those ico that has good teams and technology behind it.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:23:44 AM

It's certain that the hard caps are high and that there are more and more... But some ICOs like crypterium or titanium still managed to reach it! I think the real problem is that it dilutes all this money on the market cap and therefore prevents good projects from succeeding  Sad
Well, the market cap will always keep getting pumped up as most of these ICOs keep popping up and there is really nothing we can do about it.

Nevertheless, ICO in all is becoming a sham as we end up seeing even projects that do not require ICO coming up with some bullshit product and looking for funding. I feel the whole space is a joke, but at the end, like you said, there are still some good projects, it is just to find them and invest in them irrespective of what happens, but I feel the pain of the OP and some other guys though, where you see the value of the coin you are holding lesser than the value during ICO.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
chengyinoing01

Activity: 131
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 08:12:45 AM

Your view is great, but I still think ICO is worth investing in. I don't think it's the end of ICO this year.

Maybe it's because of the recent decline in the market that many investors are afraid to invest in, but now the market is recovering and I think 2018 will be the year when the encryption currency takes off.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: