Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:51:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD R9 290X?  (Read 108744 times)
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:05:50 PM

You are using the sex-x (windows) or export (linux) commands right? gpu use sync objects 1 and gpu max alloc percent 100? Linux apparently needs an "export display=:0" command as well.

Omitting those will limit the ram CGminer can use, and thus the highest TC will also be limited.

My best guess...

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chadtn

Activity: 672

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:36:01 PM

Under Windows I typed:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1

It said saved after each of those commands.  That's something I only have to do once...right?

I didn't export under Linux because I couldn't control clock speed or monitor temperatures so I just shut it down.  It's been very frustrating.

chad

▄██    ▐███████▄▄▄       ▄▄█████▄▄      ▄██▄      ▐██▄    ▒▓▓▄      ▄▓▓▒
     ███    ▐██▌▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ████▄     ▐██▌  ▐▓▄ ▀▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███   ███▌      ███▌   ██████    ▐██▌   ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▓▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐██▌    ▄████  ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███ ███▄  ▐██▌     ▀▓▓▄ ▀▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐█████████▀▀   ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███  ▀███ ▐██▌      ▓▓▓    ▓▓▓
     ███    ▐██▌   ▀███     ███▌      ███▌   ███    ██████▌   ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▓▓▄ ▓▓▓▄
     ███    ▐██▌     ███    ▀███▄▄▄▄▄████    ███     ▀████▌  ▐▓▀ ▄▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███     ▀▀██████▀▀     ███       ███▌    ▄▓▓▀      ▀▓▓▄
                  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄
           ▄▓▓▓█▀▀            ▀▀█▓▓█▄
         ▓▓▓█▀                    ▀▓▓█▄
       ▄▓▓▓▀                        ▀▓▓█
      ▄▓▓█                            █▓▓
      ▓▓▓                    ▄██▄     ▐▓▓█
     ▓▓▓                   ▄█▓▓▀       ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓                 ▄█▓▓▀          ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▄    ▓▓▓▓▀            ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄█▓▓▓▀             ▐▓▓▌
     ▀▓▓▓         ▀█▓▓█▀               █▓▓
      ▓▓▓▄                            ▓▓▓▌
       ▓▓▓█                         ▄█▓▓▀
        ▀▓▓█▄                     ▄▓▓▓█▀
          ▀▓▓▓█▄               ▄▄█▓▓█▀
            ▀▀█▓▓▓█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▓▓▓█▀
                ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▀▀
pontiacg5

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:35:02 AM

I launch from a bat file, looking something like this. Not sure if it's necessary or not.

-setx GPU_USE....
-setx GPU_MAX...
cgminer.exe --scrypt

You can't (usually) run a TC higher than 8192 when using -g 2, on a 280x. Some will do -g2 tc 11200, but not all. From what I've seen the 290's like single threads and high TC.

Try using a TC that is a multiple of your shader count, Not sure how I missed that before. 290's have 2560 shaders, generally you can only run 4x, maybe 5x, shader count with -g 2. Somewhere closer to 10x for -g 1.

No idea what all this ADL stuff is, but if CGminer starts the cards I wouldn't worry about it. I would disable the integrated graphics after installing Teamviewer, then just use little 75ohm resistors to dummy the 290's DVI-D ports. When you turn the PC on it will activate the AMD drivers as the main display, and when you teamview in it won't switch to the goofy RDC video driver that kills AMD's driver. Might be worth a shot, maybe?

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
chadtn

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:50:55 AM

I've played with the numbers a bunch and haven't had any luck.  I'm trying random drivers and windows update at the moment.  I wasn't sure if the resistor mod worked on the DVI-D cards.  I'll poke around and see what I've got.  Not sure I have any that low sitting around.  Thanks for the tips!  I'll report back.

Chad

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄
            ▀▀█▓▓▓█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▓▓▓█▀
                ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▀▀
jpmi1

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:18:52 PM

I've been stuck for two days trying to get my 290's to hash.  I spent a day with Windows and a day with Linux.  So far it hasn't been very much fun.  In Windows 8 I can't seem to get the ADL monitoring to work.  It always tells me there are fewer instances of opencl than ADL.  Nothing I try will let me change clock speeds.  GPU-Z shows the card working fine, but Afterburner comes up with all blanks and anything I pass to cgminer through the command line regarding clock speeds gets ignored.  Here is the thing that really has me stumped.  No matter what I try to change if I move my thread concurrency above 8192 cgminer gives me an error about having to reduce TC or raise my lookup gap.  With the LG set at 2 I can't go above 8192.  If I set it higher then the TC can go higher, but the hash rate dies.  I have one 290 that hashes about 475kh/s for a few minutes and then drops to about 90-100kh/s.  If I raise the intensity above 13 it puts out nothing but errors.  If I just start cgminer with the default settings the card hashes about 20kh/s.

I have two other cards in a newer motherboard that are doing the same exact thing.  Windows 8 ADL doesn't work and they each mine about 490kh/s because I can't change the clocks or raise the TC above 8192.

I just spent the last 17 hours fooling around with Ubuntu.  When I install the drivers everything looks great, but on reboot the screen just goes black like it is ignoring the integrated graphics and defaulting to the 290's.  This wouldn't be a problem, but I don't have a monitor with a DVI-D connection.  I've tried to use xrdp to remote in like I do on my Raspberry Pi, but it just gives me a fuzzy black/white screen with an X for a cursor like it is some kind of "green screen" overlay.  I can't do anything or see anything other than the X cursor.  I can SSH into the system and the cards show up as active with an xglr driver assigned to them, but since I can't startx in putty I can't get it to mine.  I briefly got two cards mining by using the old 3.3.1 cgminer from the repository, but they would each only do about 320kh/s.  It was the same story as Windows.  ADL wasn't working and I can't raise the intensity above 13 or the thread concurrency above 8192.

Can anyone throw me a few tips?  I'm going nuts over here.  I never had any problems with my 7970's.  heh..

Chad
I am having the exact same problem will only mine at a 13 intensity and 8162 thread currency. Did you find a fix? Anyone else know what could be going on here?

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯ RELAUNCH First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ https://poloniex.com/exchange/btc_yin
XPM:AeuQPMAGRLyWbWkVgAtE4JcfSyGHATUkmG
DTC:D9mwyQo9xPAPWCtKYhthnX2uSPivcjKyLN
chadtn

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 05:39:27 AM

My problem was completely because I didn't have a monitor hooked to the video cards.  As soon as I hooked a monitor up everything started working.

Chad

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄
            ▀▀█▓▓▓█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▓▓▓█▀
                ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▀▀
Samir_H

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 11:36:12 AM

My problem was completely because I didn't have a monitor hooked to the video cards.  As soon as I hooked a monitor up everything started working.

Chad

290 doesn't have analog out so no resistor mod, if you want to work without monitor you need enabled GPU part of APU on motherboard.
pontiacg5

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:22:40 PM

Chad

290 doesn't have analog out so no resistor mod, if you want to work without monitor you need enabled GPU part of APU on motherboard.

Sorry, but that is wrong. You can resistor mod a digital DVI connection, doesn't even take more than one resistor. 

MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:53:44 PM

I had problems with the Sapphire R9 290 cards. Had 6 of them and similar problems as posted earlier. I did manage to get them to hash at 810Kh/s but very unstable. I ended up sending them back for R9 280x vapour-x cards. Which seem to be clones of the 7970 dual-x. They work flawlessly at 740Kh/s.

Samir_H

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 10:28:39 PM

My problem was completely because I didn't have a monitor hooked to the video cards.  As soon as I hooked a monitor up everything started working.

Chad

Sorry, but that is wrong. You can resistor mod a digital DVI connection, doesn't even take more than one resistor.  

http://blog.zorinaq.com/images/simple-dummy.jpg

You posted a picture of DVI which have ability to be used with DVI to VGA converter. So card on picture HAVE analog output, 290 doesn't have it:

pontiacg5

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 11:11:36 PM

My problem was completely because I didn't have a monitor hooked to the video cards.  As soon as I hooked a monitor up everything started working.

Chad

http://blog.zorinaq.com/images/simple-dummy.jpg

You posted a picture of DVI which have ability to be used with DVI to VGA converter. So card on picture HAVE analog output, 290 doesn't have it:

Doh, DVI-D, not DVI-I.

You are right, my bad!

Samir_H

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:16:44 PM

Some news for custom card from asus and it's not just a custom cooler:
The DirectCU II card will be equipped with a fully custom PCB design featuring the Digi+ VRM with Super Alloy Power technology and high quality C-Caps and MOSFETs.
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/asus_radeon_r9_290x_directcu_ii_oc_in_da_house.html
broken_pixel

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 03:09:51 AM
Last edit: December 18, 2013, 04:46:59 AM by broken_pixel

My XFX x2 290x

color 04

cgminer --scrypt -I 19 -g 2 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 32765 --lookup-gap 2 --expiry 1 -s 1 --no-submit-stale --queue 0

850MHz/1250MHz (-25v)= 814KH/s *2 @ 570 Watts total system= 1.627Mh/s
66C fan @ 68%

I'm using AF beta 17 to undervolt and underclock with voltage monitoring disabled.

GA-990FXA-UD5, 1x 7970L, 2x S1, AX1200i, RIVBE, 2x R290x, NEX1500, BTC: 1G9cQix8bMgh35MQ9wY3Rb9yNSSCtnoRmK, DGC: DFo9FcKYsutv9Vx5c5xUzkrt7VJdECZWTM, LTC: LaAN33aktPGaimN5ALL9kjHjuJekfmKfTh
automobile

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:22:35 PM

My XFX x2 290x
@ 570 Watts total system= 1.627Mh/s
66C fan @ 68%
what kind of PSU do you have? Corsair 850 AX will be enough?
toTOW

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:41:20 PM

My R9 290X won't start with such settings ... so I'm stuck @ 620 KH/s with the following command line : --intensity 14 -g 1 --shaders 2816 --lookup-gap 2 --no-submit-stale

Any advices ?
TheCryptoManiac

Activity: 15

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 04:02:44 PM

I'm getting 930 Kh/s with my single R9 290X.  Check out my blog post where I go over all the settings I used:  http://thecryptomaniac.blogspot.com/2013/12/mining-with-radeon-r9-290x-how-to-get.html
toTOW

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 04:25:00 PM

Thanks for sharing, but this setting (--thread-concurrency 33792) will prevent my card from running with a -4 error Sad

And intensity 20 will prevent the computer from being useable ...
carly200

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:04:39 PM

Thanks for sharing, but this setting (--thread-concurrency 33792) will prevent my card from running with a -4 error Sad

if you want to use your computer in parallel, why did you go with a 290(x)? you could have gone with any "older" card and would have got better results for less money....
I don't get what some people around here do...

since 290/290x seem to require hi intensities (at the moment), there is no real other option for you...
pontiacg5

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:26:25 PM

if you want to use your computer in parallel, why did you go with a 290(x)? you could have gone with any "older" card and would have got better results for less money....
I don't get what some people around here do...

since 290/290x seem to require hi intensities (at the moment), there is no real other option for you...

In what world does not pushing ANY graphics card to 100% not lag the computer? Think hard, because I've plenty of first hand experience to make you look silly.

If you want to get as much hashing power as possible yet still be able to use the computer you are going to have to settle for less than optimum hashrates for the card. The 290x has a lot more room to still make a decent hashrate, yet still leave the computer useable. Cheap shitty cards don't.

The reason you likely can't get the --thread-concurrency 33792 setting to take is because you aren't using the proper setx flags. Unless you use GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1 and GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100 the highest TC you will likely ever get started (without the out of memory errors) is 2816.

Open up a command prompt as an administrator and try and run this...

and

You should see "success" after each commad. If not, try adding "-" in front of setx (-setx.)

If that works, before restarting the computer try starting mining with that TC. It's likely that I20 will do a lot less damage to your computer's useability when you are running at an optimal TC. You will never see 900+ hashrates without a high TC and Intensity.

My 290x likes 1000-1025 engine and 1500 memeory for 937kh/s. Under air it likes 1025 engine clock, but under water and 60c temps lets 1002 engine push the same 930kh/s.

carly200

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:35:22 PM

i am using 7950s and 280x in systems and have them running at there max hashrate 700/740 at intensity 13 and I get hardly any lack.
of course if I use video intensive software or utilize the system 100% my hashrate goes down, but at optimal settings I can still use the pc almost lagg free.

on my 290 systems I cannot do that.

so my statement is very right! if you want to mine "in the background", why use a 290(x)?

@pontiacg5
now tell me where that is wrong?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: