Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:38:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Unobtanium: Current Release 0.9.5  (Read 148768 times)
BitcoinCharlie
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 11:14:12 PM

Anyone have any long-term thoughts for UNO?

What I mean is, what role will it play. Given it's sheer low volume of mintage, it has a bit of an aura.  Sort of like a valuable painting. However a painting can be displayed for it's beauty...UNO does not have similar utility.

BTC / LTC are / will be used in business transactions and that will keep the hashing up. Once the majority of UNO are found, and it's not used for transactions, what will keep it going?

Unobtanium - The crypto commodity you keep! |
Hate Inflation? You'll love $UNO
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
k33k

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:25:03 AM

What I mean is, what role will it play. Given it's sheer low volume of mintage, it has a bit of an aura.  Sort of like a valuable painting. However a painting can be displayed for it's beauty...UNO does not have similar utility.

BTC / LTC are / will be used in business transactions and that will keep the hashing up. Once the majority of UNO are found, and it's not used for transactions, what will keep it going?

Collector's item for cryptocurrency fans.

I was thinking earlier that we could ramp up the exclusivity by creating a forum for Unobtanium owners where you have to prove you own at least 1 Unobtanium (by signing a message with your private key) to join. Could have subforums for people who own 10+, 100+, etc. Just a bit of fun.
JuanHungLo

Activity: 935

I don't always drink...

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:30:38 AM

"by signing a message with your private key"

Roll Eyes

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. - John Templeton
k33k

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:15:23 AM

"by signing a message with your private key"

Roll Eyes

What? Did I say something dumb? Huh

Sign a message to prove they own an address, look address up on blockchain explorer to see how much Uno they have.
BitcoinCharlie
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 02:20:48 AM

Collector's item for cryptocurrency fans.

I was thinking earlier that we could ramp up the exclusivity by creating a forum for Unobtanium owners where you have to prove you own at least 1 Unobtanium (by signing a message with your private key) to join. Could have subforums for people who own 10+, 100+, etc. Just a bit of fun.

Yeah, I'd be down for something like that. I've got quite a bit and have devoted some of my mining to it.  I just wondered if we were all wasting our time / resources on this one...anyone else have any thoughts?

losthymns

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 05:37:14 AM

Wallet is saying no block source available, what do i gotta do to fix this?

BTC - 156d8mXSQmYy6ZXccxJ6y4idZrbUFYxgRS                               EAC - eSF9ePLvu8TQ1EvBd7YpKn3XPdDxbwKNsW
Free BTC every 24 hours- http://www.qoinpro.com/97d7b9c426f685410fcb1408445553d4
arthurf

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 06:12:36 AM
Last edit: December 30, 2013, 06:40:17 AM by arthurf

Hey everyone,

I think there is many people quiet waiting the price to drop so we can buy cheap. Cheesy

But anyway. I made a subreddit so we can boost it up! Smiley

http://www.reddit.com/r/Unobtanium/

I still have to work more on the theme. I also welcome people to join and help.

Wallet is saying no block source available, what do i gotta do to fix this?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Unobtanium/comments/1tzwkt/nodes_for_unobtaniumconf/

There are people saying the mod disappeared, but he may just be on vacation. I'm also kind of impatient sometimes so I ended up forking and creating an "organization" on reddit for Unobtanium:

https://github.com/UnobtaniumCoin/Unobtanium

I added the original author as an owner there. And I'm sure more people will join the Team. We should raise the Bus Factor! Cheesy

I also created a Ubuntu 64bits deb package: http://log.life.com.br/archive/ubuntu/coins/unobtanium/unobtanium-qt_latest_amd64.deb

Smiley
Philogus

Activity: 172

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 06:34:16 AM
Last edit: December 30, 2013, 06:52:21 AM by Philogus

I also created a Ubuntu 64bits deb package: http://log.life.com.br/archive/ubuntu/coins/unobtanium/unobtanium-qt_latest_amd64.deb ******DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!*******

Smiley

I know that you are just trying to be proactive and help the community. Everything that you did is wonderful except for building the 64 bit Ubuntu package.

We should not train people, especially new people, to download and install binary packages from unknown sources, especially when a crypto-currency wallet is concerned. Think about it this way: you are probably a trustworthy person, but imagine if a nefarious person took the UNO source code and put something malicious in it (let's say that it quietly sends the creator the private keys for the UNO wallet). He distributes it as a binary package, so people can't analyze the source code (In your case, I have no way of knowing for sure whether the package you are distributing comes from exactly the same source code as what you posted on Github). Do you see the dilemma?

It is far better to let people analyze the source code for vulnerabilities, and then compile the program from known trusted sources. The most important step is a very public peer review process where A LOT of people get to look at the source code.

In summary:

• Don't fork someone else's project unless you've made some significant improvements to it AND you are fully committed to doing the massive amount of work that it will take to properly maintain the fork (e.g. if people report bugs, they will expect you to fix them).
  • When you share your improvements, just share a link to your improved source code, DON'T share a binary that you have compiled.
  • Give people ample time to study your source code, and to come up with noted problems, and recommended solutions.
  • Once you have acted upon the recommendations that you find valid, then share the final version of your code.
  • When you are ready to share binaries, calculate a hash of the binaries. Share that hash so that people can independently verify that your binaries have not been changed by someone else.
  • Share you binaries with a small test group first. This is how you build community trust. The test group will compile the source code, hash the resulting binary, and compare the hash with the hash that they get from your version of the binary. If everything matches, and your program runs as expected (based on an extensive battery of tests), you will SLOWLY build trust.

Right now, you are asking people to download and install your binary when they have no idea who you are, what your intentions are, or what is actually in its source code. This is an EXTREMELY bad and dangerous policy pattern to set for UNO.
arthurf

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 07:20:31 AM

I also created a Ubuntu 64bits deb package: http://log.life.com.br/archive/ubuntu/coins/unobtanium/unobtanium-qt_latest_amd64.deb ******DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!*******

Smiley

I know that you are just trying to be proactive and help. Everything that you did is wonderful except for building the 64 bit Ubuntu package. We should not train people, especially new people, to download and install binary packages from unknown sources, especially when a crypto-currency wallet is concerned. Think about it this way: you are probably a trustworthy person, but imagine if a nefarious person took the UNO source code and put something malicious in it (let's say that it quietly sends the creator the private keys for the UNO wallet). He distributes it as a binary package, so people can't analyze the source code (In your case, I have no way of knowing for sure whether the package you are distributing comes from exactly the same source code as what you posted on Github). Do you see the dilemma? It is far better to let people analyze the source code for vulnerabilities, and then compile the program from known trusted sources. The most important step is a very public peer review where A LOT of people get to look at the source code.

In summary:

• Don't fork someone else's project unless you made some significant improvements to it AND you are fully committed to do the massive amount if work that it will take to properly maintain the fork (e.g. if people report bugs, they will expect you to fix them).
    • When you share you improvements, just share a link to your improved source code, DON'T share a binary that you have compiled.
    • Give people ample time to study your source code, and to come up with noted problems, and recommended solutions.
    • Once you have acted upon the recommendations that you find valid, then share the final version of your code
    • When you are ready to share binaries, calculate a hash of the binaries and share that hash so that people can be sure that your binaries have not been changed.
    • Share you binaries with a small test group first. This is how you build community trust. The test group will compile the source code, hash the resulting binary, and compare the hash with the the hash then get from your version of the binary. If everything matched, and your program runs well, you will build trust.

Right now, you are asking people to download and install your binary when they have no idea who you are, what your intentions are, or what is actually in its source code. This is an EXTREMELY bad policy pattern to set for UNO.
    [/list]

Ok, sorry, just to make it clear: I'm not clamming any special feature in the binary, this is from the official source, anyone who wants to take the risk can take it.

If I make any feature, I would post the code. I'm Pro-Open Source Software. I made AwesomeTTS(quite popular) and JSON-ADVPL and I love Richard Stallman's work.

On reddit I'm a mod of /r/postscarcity, /r/getdisciplined (68k followers) many other smaller subreddits and now /r/catcoins.

In the catcoin community I saw people making windows and mac binaries, so I ended up making for Ubuntu too.

I saw there was pending issues in the main project, so I thought about doing the fork. I didn't make any push today because I worked so much on many different things (mostly for catcoin subreddit, and today was my first time making a deb file for the catcoin wallet and unobtanium) and it's already 5:18 AM and I have a 14 hours flight tomorrow. :S

Sorry, I just wanted to help. Maybe I should had chatted on IRC before doing anything. But I'm learning from mistakes and I complete understand that you are also doing the best to protect and improve this community.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it carefully. I will read your post again and again after I rest and I will discuss with more people about projects, ideas, etc.
    k33k

View Profile
    December 30, 2013, 02:24:46 PM

In the catcoin community I saw people making windows and mac binaries, so I ended up making for Ubuntu too.

Almost everyone on Windows is using a binary that someone else compiled for all their coins, not just Unobtanium. I think it's fine to post a binary as long as the source is available too. Let people make their own minds up about who they trust.
    Philogus

View Profile
    December 30, 2013, 03:35:46 PM
    Last edit: December 30, 2013, 05:10:17 PM by Philogus

Almost everyone on Windows is using a binary that someone else compiled for all their coins, not just Unobtanium. I think it's fine to post a binary as long as the source is available too. Let people make their own minds up about who they trust.

I have to respectfully disagree on this one. This again demonstrates the pure lack of leadership that permeates the UNO community right now. The point is that arturf should not have to compile binaries for Ubuntu. He stepped up and did so because he recognized the vacuum of leadership in the UNO community. All I am saying is that before you start distributing binaries, you have to prove that you are trustworthy. This principle has been proven time and time again :On Distributed Binaries

Ubuntu is one of the most popular Linux distros out there. If the creator of UNO really wanted the coin to succeed, he should have taken the time to compile an Ubuntu binary. The creator of the coin should be THE trusted definitive source, and he SHOULD be providing leadership. Instead, he is nowhere to be found. There are at least two dozen comments on this thread that people are having a hard time connecting to peers, and the creator of UNO is completely silent.  He is either unwilling to lead, or he does not know how to lead.

I'm sure that you saw what just happened with Dogecoin: an online Dodecoin wallet got hacked. However, the ABC news headline read: "Bitcoin Alternative 'Dogecoin' Hacked, 21 Million Coins Stolen". If someone distributes a hacked UNO binary and steals thousands of UNO, ALL of us will be affected when the price of UNO plummets to zero. Best practices are best practices. If anyone a trusted person distributes binaries, they should provide a checksum so that people can verify that the program has not been maliciously changed....period. Before binaries are distributed..the person providing them should be tested to ensure that they are trustworthy...period.

I cannot just sit back, see something done that is wrong, and not say anything. As a leader, I feel compelled to say something. That is what we need more of in the UNO community. UNO dropped to 0.0055 on Cryptsy tonight, and it will continue to drop until SOMEONE shows that they are in charge. That someone cannot be me (I don't have the skills or the time), but I WILL demonstrate to others HOW TO LEAD.
    Blazr2 (OP)

Activity: 218
    Merit: 105

View Profile
    December 30, 2013, 04:20:39 PM

I WILL demonstrate to others HOW TO LEAD.

Roll Eyes

Lead then. Want to buy the Un from me so you can be the owner? 1BTC and you can have it all.
    Philogus

View Profile
    December 30, 2013, 04:22:43 PM
    Last edit: December 30, 2013, 04:57:10 PM by Philogus

Roll Eyes

Lead then. Want to buy the Un from me so you can be the owner? 1BTC and you can have it all.

SUCCESS!!! No I DO NOT want to buy UNO from you. Number one, I don't have the technical programming skills to not f**k it up. Number two, I have a full time job. I do not have the time to commit that this would require. I can continue to provide guidance to people, but I will not become leader of a project and half a** it.

You have created a fantastic coin. I want  you to step up, and take it to the next level. If you create something great, you have to fully commit to it, or IT WILL FAIL. Fix Improve the look of the website. Fix the connecting- to-peers issue. Lead by talking to the community once in awhile. I know that you are busy, but you HAVE TO carve out a little bit of time to re-enforce the confidence that people have placed in you and your product. If you don't want to be bogged down answering endless streams of questions, just start a blog.

To be honest, I think that posting a message somewhere once a week is probably enough. The community will take care of answering a lot of the questions posted here.  But, in my humble opinion, you have to be at least an occasional presence. UNO has the potential to be one of the top 5 coins on Coinmarketcap. I don't expect a response from you, but I take a great deal of satisfaction in the fact that you have absorbed and digested at least some of what I have said.

Thank you sincerely for the fantastic coin and welcome back!!!! Smiley

k33k

View Profile
    December 30, 2013, 04:58:32 PM

Roll Eyes

Hey Blazr2 Cheesy Glad to see you're still around. What do you think about the current price drop and do you have any plans for Uno in the near future?
    sevoque

Activity: 196

View Profile
    December 30, 2013, 05:07:38 PM

Yeah Blazr, I tried to message u but wasnt able to to get your thoughts on whats going on. WE ALL REALY LIKE THIS COIN, LETS BECOME TRILLIONAIRES OKAY?
    BitcoinCharlie
    Legendary

View Profile WWW
    December 30, 2013, 08:39:05 PM

Roll Eyes

How much you selling?  Wink

Blazr2 (OP)

View Profile
    December 30, 2013, 09:45:23 PM

Roll Eyes

How much you selling?  Wink

Our offer was to own the 'coin' and all its inherent rights of decision. I do not hold any Un, but have not disappeared. Revelation comes not for a few weeks and people worry--worry not, The Great Old One still maintains his coins but isn't concerned about value. That you have an exchange alone is enough to please him, what you do with that should only please yourself.
    sevoque

Activity: 196

View Profile
    December 30, 2013, 09:46:38 PM

Hey blazr, would you do us the courtesy of coming to chat to a few of us in #unobtanium on freenode please mate?

thx

sev
    k33k

View Profile
    December 30, 2013, 09:49:03 PM

Hey blazr, would you do us the courtesy of coming to chat to a few of us in #unobtanium on freenode please mate?

thx

sev

+1! Come hang out with us! Cheesy
    Blazr2 (OP)

View Profile
    December 30, 2013, 09:49:58 PM

thx

sev

Certainly. If anyone feels like making an offering to The Great Old One, his Un addy is:

uVjbsx6tAhySeJpN7xLBieAzWcD7rEVmYp
    Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
      Print  

Jump to: