Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:18:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 [538] 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:10:49 PM

From my IT guy:

DDoS Deflate is a  bash shell script which purpose is blocking a denial of service attack.

the following installation guide is about cent os .

How to install

1. Login to Cent OS as root
2. run terminal
3. run the following commands
a. "wget http://www.inetbase.com/scripts/ddos/install.sh"
b. "chmod 0700 install.sh"
c. "./install.sh"

Configure

After installing the script the following directories and files
will be created

program directory =/usr/local/ddos
program =/usr/local/ddos/ddos.sh
ignore_ip_list=/usr/local/ddos/ignore.ip.list
cron (scheduller) =/etc/cron.d/ddos.cron
apf ( advanced policy firewall) =/etc/apf/apf
ipt (iptables) =/sbin/iptables

edit configuration file

run the following command on terminal
cd /usr/local/ddos
vi ddos.conf
( to edit the file with vi editor just type "i" , when finished  press escape then ":" "w" "q" and enter )

Configuration file settings

Freq= ( how often the script is executed in minutes )
Ddos - cron ( cron sceduller update )
No_of_connections ( number of connections received before an IP is blocked )
Apf_ban ( 1 means that it will use apf , 0 it will use iptables )
Ban_period ( time in seconds to block an IP )
Email_to ( address to send an email when an IP is blocked )
Kill ( when value is 0 no IP is banned )

In case you get blank IP edit the main script ddos.sh and replace

"netstat -ntu | awk ‘{print $5}’ | cut -d: -f1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr > $BAD_IP_LIST"

with this one

"netstat -ntu | grep ‘:’ | awk ‘{print $5}’ | sed ‘s/::ffff://’ | cut -f1 -d ‘:’ | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr > $BAD_IP_LIST"
( be sure to keep the command in a single line )

Uninstall  DDos Deflate

1. Login to Cent OS as root
2. run terminal
3. run the following commands
a. "wget http://www.inetbase.com/scripts/ddos/uninstall.sh"
b. "chmod 0700 uninstall.sh"
c. "./uninstall.sh"

Post here any questions but PM me too because I am extremely busy the last days and I don't follow this thread!
I will forward them to my friend..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
utopianfuture

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:14:36 PM

It is very different thing. There will be a predefined rule of how thing is going to work not an arbitrary central bank who decide how much money to spend and which bank to bail out.
I am all for freedom and decentralization. But if a system want to survive it has to stay on an equilibrium, the system is flawed if there is a tendency toward a disequilibrium where all economic activities come to a halt as all nxt become dead money sitting there does nothing.
That is a feature of the system which needs to be thought about.

What Would Milton Do?

Who says the system isn't in equilibrium?

Once we stick our fingers in the pie, it's game over. Who gets to play Bernanke, Lagarde, et al?

It is strange. I quoted Milton in my paper. I will leave the thought here for now. But I will definitely bring it up again when the voting system being implemented. This should be decided by the community.

Btw, when the minimum forging goes to 0.01 or 0.001, hoarding will have less impact to the system. We will see how it goes again in the future.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:16:54 PM

I will definitely bring it up again when the voting system being implemented. This should be decided by the community.

Good, this will be a crucial decision. The sooner, it's brought up, the better. We need the voting system in NXT set up asap.
pinarello

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

NXT is the future

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:20:03 PM

Hey CfB, no new year presents?  Cheesy

Pin

marcus03

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:22:53 PM

It is strange. I quoted Milton in my paper. I will leave the thought here for now. But I will definitely bring it up again when the voting system being implemented. This should be decided by the community.

Where in the block of genesis does it say that NXT architecture is decided by community votes? I might have missed that. Does it also say there how votes are counted? One per account or one per NXT?
Passion_ltc

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:24:12 PM

Does it also say there how votes are counted? One per account or one per NXT?

Per NXT.

landomata
Legendary

Activity: 2184

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 12:24:36 PM

I will definitely bring it up again when the voting system being implemented. This should be decided by the community.

Good, this will be a crucial decision. The sooner, it's brought up, the better. We need the voting system in NXT set up asap.

I actually think the market is doing fine....it's developing beyond my expectations....Bitcoin never had to face this type of environment...as noone knew it existed in the beginning and no one cared about distribution and that didn't kill it.

utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:25:20 PM

Why push aldrin to do anything? He can do whatever he wants with his stake. You can rest assured he's going to use it well, no need to blabla in my eyes. Supporting contributions to the project sounds fine.

The system won't work if all the big stakes just hoards a big stake. If he finally does as he said, basically his nxt become dead because it is only sitting there for forging without entering the economy.

I think for the whole system to work, there has to be a tax against money not put into circulation. Cfb , is it possible to design such a scheme?

My suggestion is for big stake holders to pool their holding together (separate accounts but all donating to the same fund).

I'll summarise my position very specifically - i've got about 4% now - I sell down down at a steady rate to about 1%, and I add the bulk of remaining 1% to a the 'community forging fund' for communal funding efforts. Obviously if other big stake holders don't join in the forging would be slightly under 1% - but that's of all transactions on the network. If others joined me, it could be 5-10% - OF ALL TRANSACTION FEES GOING BACK INTO DEVELOPMENT - that would fund a lot of good things. We could have a budget and actually plan things (a little, I know decentralisation is king)

So my personal plan is this

1- steady dispersal of 3% of my 4% of NXT supply to other people in a calm and measured way (and I make money and feel good)
2- 1% is forging 24/7 for community funding - more if others join me (everyone feels good)

Criticise what I'm suggesting, but first understand my position. Ask questions. Don't assume.

Hi Aldrin I don't have any issue against your plan. I am very much allergic to wasteful spending so I think you has made a sensible decision to wait until the water more clear.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:27:08 PM

I actually think the market is doing fine...
I agree, that's why I don't know why any economics need to be tweaked here. It'll all work out naturally with time like it should, and that's the best way.
wesleyh

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:27:22 PM

Any public nodes have their bot access enabled? Please list here if so. Thank you!
swartzfeger

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:29:36 PM

It is very different thing. There will be a predefined rule of how thing is going to work not an arbitrary central bank who decide how much money to spend and which bank to bail out.
I am all for freedom and decentralization. But if a system want to survive it has to stay on an equilibrium, the system is flawed if there is a tendency toward a disequilibrium where all economic activities come to a halt as all nxt become dead money sitting there does nothing.
That is a feature of the system which needs to be thought about.

What Would Milton Do?

Who says the system isn't in equilibrium?

Once we stick our fingers in the pie, it's game over. Who gets to play Bernanke, Lagarde, et al?

Btw, when the minimum forging goes to 0.01 or 0.001, hoarding will have less impact to the system. We will see how it goes again in the future.

Not to deal in hyperbole here, but it feels like we're writing The Wealth of Nations 2.0. As a community, which is very cool.

Congress moves to tax the internet... users migrate to NXT to avoid tax, retailers migrate to avoid interchange fees. Exciting stuff.

My fiancé thinks I'm a dork.
utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:30:22 PM

I am glad you agree with me on this point. Nxt is about decentralization and community based decision. I think that is BCNext's original idea even though he said he doesn't know much about economics.
This would be a feature that will attract many people coming to nxt network.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
landomata
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 12:32:25 PM

@ Wesleyh

Do you have any big ideas that need funding??

@ Aldrin/Neer.G....Wesleyh fits the bill...smart guy who delivers.

1) MAC OS X client with auto-update!

https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,708.0.html

2) Nxt Faucet - Free coins!

http://nxtra.org/faucet/

3) Random Nxt Nodes List

http://nxtra.org/nodes/

klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:33:32 PM

Is anyone going to implement the anti DDoS measures I posted? Maybe tweak them for Ubuntu/Debian too?

EDIT: Guys we need to focus on the securities issues asap, we are going for prime time and must be sure everything will run smooth!
wesleyh

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:34:26 PM

@ Wesleyh

Do you have any big ideas that need funding??

@ Aldrin/Neer.G....Wesleyh fits the bill...smart guy who delivers.

1) MAC OS X client with auto-update!

https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,708.0.html

2) Nxt Faucet - Free coins!

http://nxtra.org/faucet/

3) Random Nxt Nodes List

http://nxtra.org/nodes/

Thanks for your recommendation! Donations are of course always appreciated and an extra incentive to keep going. ( 3209075099254042753 )

I'm working on another new tool, hopefully I can get it ready today. I need some people to run their nodes with bot access enabled for this to work though.

I do not work on super huge projects that take months to develop, rather smaller projects that help grow the community and are in the spirit of open-source.
aldrin

Activity: 129

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:37:10 PM

Why push aldrin to do anything? He can do whatever he wants with his stake. You can rest assured he's going to use it well, no need to blabla in my eyes. Supporting contributions to the project sounds fine.

The system won't work if all the big stakes just hoards a big stake. If he finally does as he said, basically his nxt become dead because it is only sitting there for forging without entering the economy.

I think for the whole system to work, there has to be a tax against money not put into circulation. Cfb , is it possible to design such a scheme?

My suggestion is for big stake holders to pool their holding together (separate accounts but all donating to the same fund).

I'll summarise my position very specifically - i've got about 4% now - I sell down down at a steady rate to about 1%, and I add the bulk of remaining 1% to a the 'community forging fund' for communal funding efforts. Obviously if other big stake holders don't join in the forging would be slightly under 1% - but that's of all transactions on the network. If others joined me, it could be 5-10% - OF ALL TRANSACTION FEES GOING BACK INTO DEVELOPMENT - that would fund a lot of good things. We could have a budget and actually plan things (a little, I know decentralisation is king)

So my personal plan is this

1- steady dispersal of 3% of my 4% of NXT supply to other people in a calm and measured way (and I make money and feel good)
2- 1% is forging 24/7 for community funding - more if others join me (everyone feels good)

Criticise what I'm suggesting, but first understand my position. Ask questions. Don't assume.

Hi Aldrin I don't have any issue against your plan. I am very much allergic to wasteful spending so I think you has made a sensible decision to wait until the water more clear.

Thanks utopianfuture, I appreciate your comment! I too am looking to avoid wasteful spending and maximise NXT potential! I feel confident in the collective inteligence of NXT users at this moment in time. We can make NXT work!

landomata
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 12:41:46 PM

I sense the other Alt coin are afraid of Nxt because of this very same reason:

The Nxt community and its "collective intelligence" which is natural.....the smart people see the advantage of Nxt and are drawn to it.

"NXT BRAIN DRAIN"

Grin

mcjavar

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:45:22 PM

Just a friendly reminder...

There will be a Bitcoin Conference in February in Berlin.

http://www.mediabistro.com/insidebitcoins/

Since I am from Vienna, I would love to represent Nxt on this venue. I would fly over to Berlin and use the 2 days to spread the word, let others know about Nxt.
I believe in Nxt and am sure that we will benefit from it having someone around at a venue like this, that´s why I will fund the whole journey myself, but donations to buy the tickets, pay for the hotel and flight and purchasing marketing materials is much appreciated!

I will buy some t-shirts, pens, maybe some pendrives with Nxt logos and the slogan on them and will spread them at the conference. Please help with funds AND ideas how to make Germany aware of Nxt.

Thank you!
newsilike

Activity: 630
Merit: 262

This account was hacked. just recently got it back

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:46:31 PM

I know Photoshop inside and out. taught Photoshop courses.
Then you could design nice NXT graphics or help with designing another video.
Promotion is a big part.
notsoshifty

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:49:08 PM

Thanks for spelling this out!! The fear of being hacked has stopped me forging now. I asked a question along these lines a couple of days ago on a related theme but haven't had a response yet (I know everyone on the dev side is super busy now) - My question is, is it possible to detect the location and status of unlocked accounts on other nodes? If it is, then forging with a large account is too risky IMO.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345619.msg4182386#msg4182386

On the other hand, security is sometimes about striking the right balance between benefit and risk. You do right to educate yourself on the security concerns, and adopt those security practices that you see fit, making your own judgements on things like: whether to forge, where to forge, with which funds to forge, how many accounts to spread your total funds over, how to create and store passphrases, etc.

I don't see anything in the protocol that can point a forged block back to the IP address of the host that forged it. The processBlock message originally came from the node that forged it, but it is exactly the same as the copies of the message that are subsequently passed around the network (my assumption - TBC). So although a node that receives such a message knows the IP address of the host that sent it, it wouldn't know if it got it from the forger or secondhand/thirdhand/etc. I imagine it's feasible that some timing analysis could be done on when messages are received from different nodes, and this could help build up a picture of where the forging nodes are (especially those with higher balances, as they would forge more frequently). This picture is unlikely to be a very accurate one.

In your position, I would probably forge with a portion of my total funds, and do so on a private node that only connects to the main network through another node that I control. I don't believe such a setup should be required, and hopefully the designers find a good method to safely allow forging.

Hallmarking a node with your funds should be perfectly safe, and it's probably in your best interests to put your hallmarks on some well-managed public servers. Once the feature CFB recently described is introduced (vote to destroy funds of accounts that hallmark a node and then abuse that hallmark), that might change. Note that creating a hallmark requires you to enter your passphrase, and so should be done on a trusted node only.

You mentioned you recently moved your funds to an account with a stronger passphrase. @c-f-b: if I believed my passphrase was weak and wanted to move to a stronger one, I could easily move my funds, but how do I move my aliases?
Pages: « 1 ... 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 [538] 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: