Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:54:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636401 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 11:13:39 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2014, 11:23:50 PM by Spendulus

OK, I finally got off my ass and started studying this thing.  I've always been of the opinion that human activity is certainly impacting CO2 ratios and probably is making some contribution to global tempertures, but in scientific and engineering terms this is not a very meaningful thing.  Magnitudes are everything.  I've also long been of the opinion that the environmentalist side is leveraging things to achieve semi-non-related objectives (just as I have that there are special interests on the other side as well.)  But until I study things I won't know how much.

Not many people actually study it, and few of those succeed in understanding.  The deck is stacked, and not just for political reasons.  It's basically difficult for the human mind to take a random walk data pattern, separate the underlying trends, and then not fall prey to thinking he can essentially use linear projection to predict the future.    I think at that level it's a similar problem to predicting the stock market.  It is fundamentally chaotic behavior.

Don't forget basic meteorology, 101 style college level.  99% of the people talking like they know climate don't even know weather.

LOL...

Even before weather (which both sides seem to use unfairly sometimes) there is a simple framing of the actual problem.  Does water vapor act as a positive or negative feedback.

The fact that pretty much all of the models are proving quite wrong so far on the 'panic now' side indicates to me that the fraud on the 'warmist' side is significant.

Before I got to studying things I heard that 'oh, the heat is going into the ocean, but it will come bubbling back up so don't worry, it's still appropriate to panic.'...

Yeah, THAT argument.  The hidden mystery heat, lol....

I like the arguments the make me laugh.  Mystery heat is one of those.  Another one that you don't hear much anymore is the "clathrate gun" scheme.  I won't call it "hypothesis" or "theory".  Basically the idea here is that these compounds deep in the ocean absorb the CO2, then suddenly shoot it up in the air and everyone's fucked.

It's just that I get this image of giant cannons rising from the deep and shooting incalculatable amounts of CO2 into the air.  Because that's basically the image I'm supposed to get. And then I should be scared.  Really scared.  They think...
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 11:21:19 PM

Here's a thought..

If we picture the earth as a huge living creature, would it's immune system not try to cure itself? For instance, a human, when becoming sick, body temperature will raise, and the immune system will do its best to fight any disease.

So is it unthinkable that earth is a self regulative system that will try to fix itself? From what we can see from natural disasters, man cannot combat these at all, the power of nature is beyond and above everything.

If the "immune system" of earth really fired up, and there was extreme weather and extreme natural disasters all over the planet, lots of humans would die, and if enough humans dies, there would not be that much of a need for all the things we produce, and not as many polluters.

Or perhaps a more likely scenario is that we skew everything, and just slowly die off, as we no longer can sustain ourselves.
The actual theory of the self regulating Gaia (by Lovelace) is quite interesting and has spawned a bunch of new age Gaia-loving nonsense.  Last I heard, Lovelace had gone to the dark side and is now something of a "climate denier."
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 12:11:59 AM

Here's a thought..

If we picture the earth as a huge living creature, would it's immune system not try to cure itself? For instance, a human, when becoming sick, body temperature will raise, and the immune system will do its best to fight any disease.

So is it unthinkable that earth is a self regulative system that will try to fix itself? From what we can see from natural disasters, man cannot combat these at all, the power of nature is beyond and above everything.

If the "immune system" of earth really fired up, and there was extreme weather and extreme natural disasters all over the planet, lots of humans would die, and if enough humans dies, there would not be that much of a need for all the things we produce, and not as many polluters.

Or perhaps a more likely scenario is that we skew everything, and just slowly die off, as we no longer can sustain ourselves.

It would be kinda true if humans were extra terrestrials. As far as we know Gaia is our mom. If Gaia created us then we are most likely the anti body that defends her from destruction from outer space. Gaia was tired of having to reboot Evolution after so many asteroid impacts and decided to make us. We are curious about space, we like destroying stuff and we don't like to die too quickly. Maybe our purpose is to fight off killer asteroids and defend Gaia...  Grin

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 01:13:00 AM

Here's a thought..

It would be kinda true if humans were extra terrestrials. As far as we know Gaia is our mom. If Gaia created us then we are most likely the anti body that defends her from destruction from outer space. Gaia was tired of having to reboot Evolution after so many asteroid impacts and decided to make us. We are curious about space, we like destroying stuff and we don't like to die too quickly. Maybe our purpose is to fight off killer asteroids and defend Gaia...  Grin

That's actually a bit profound.  We are the protectors of the planet, not the destroyers.
cutesakura

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:34:57 PM

this time there has been a climate change caused by human behavior which causes global warming, global warming caused by the multitude of men wearing aerosols that cause global warming, iklimpun changes occur because of the melting ice in the north and south poles, and the sea water level rise and lowlands sink ...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:11:30 PM

Here's a thought..

That's actually a bit profound.  We are the protectors of the planet, not the destroyers.

Yes. On a Gaia scale we are. The warmists are the real cancer as they are anti humans (population reductions proposals, etc). The only organism that can save the whole ecosystem from ultimate doom forever is mankind, created by Gaia...

SgtMoth

Activity: 910
Merit: 1004

buy silver!

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 01:52:40 PM

Friday off to frosty start as 15 cold weather records drop
Val Marie's the cold spot at -29.7 C

CBC News Posted: Nov 14, 2014 7:07 AM CT Last Updated: Nov 14, 2014 7:16 AM CT

A number of new record low temperatures were recorded across Saskatchewan Friday morning, including Val Marie in the far southwest.

Cold weather records were falling like frost-covered dominoes across Saskatchewan on Friday morning.

Fifteen new records for Nov. 14 were set as Saskatchewan's big chill continues, thanks to a so-called polar vortex.

What the heck is a polar vortex?

The cold spot was Val Marie, which set a new low for Nov. 14 when the mercury dipped to -29.7 C.

Meanwhile, it was mighty cold, but no records were set in Regina (-21.1) and Saskatoon (-20.6).

More to come

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/friday-off-to-frosty-start-as-15-cold-weather-records-drop-1.2834958

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 03:35:35 PM

Weather says relatively little of substance about climate.  Usually nothing.  Both the 'deniers' and the 'warmists' fall into this trap.  The sad part is that when the weather doesn't cooperate with their desires they suddenly get a little more scientifically rigorous (albeit temporarily) and call out the other side.

I read somewhere that on a surface area the size of the U.S., chances are that there will be six 100-year record readings per year just by the nature of statistics.  I've not done the math or studied the problem set-up, but actually that does not seem far off of my observations from what I've seen reported over the years.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 04:51:58 PM

CBC News Posted: Nov 14, 2014 7:07 AM CT Last Updated: Nov 14, 2014 7:16 AM CT

A number of new record low temperatures were recorded across Saskatchewan Friday morning, including Val Marie in the far southwest.

Cold weather records were falling like frost-covered dominoes across Saskatchewan on Friday morning.

Fifteen new records for Nov. 14 were set as Saskatchewan's big chill continues, thanks to a so-called polar vortex.

What the heck is a polar vortex?

The cold spot was Val Marie, which set a new low for Nov. 14 when the mercury dipped to -29.7 C.

Meanwhile, it was mighty cold, but no records were set in Regina (-21.1) and Saskatoon (-20.6).

More to come

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/friday-off-to-frosty-start-as-15-cold-weather-records-drop-1.2834958

Global warming is the cause of it! Get with the program damn it!  Wink Smiley

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 07:15:47 PM

Being a jackass on the 'climate skeptic' side does not offset jackass-ishness on the 'warmist' side.  At least not to some (probably small) fraction of observers.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 03:55:14 AM

Being a jackass on the 'climate skeptic' side does not offset jackass-ishness on the 'warmist' side.  At least not to some (probably small) fraction of observers.

Jackass-ishness is caused by global warming too.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 05:04:21 AM

Weather says relatively little of substance about climate.  Usually nothing.  Both the 'deniers' and the 'warmists' fall into this trap.  The sad part is that when the weather doesn't cooperate with their desires they suddenly get a little more scientifically rigorous (albeit temporarily) and call out the other side.

I read somewhere that on a surface area the size of the U.S., chances are that there will be six 100-year record readings per year just by the nature of statistics.  I've not done the math or studied the problem set-up, but actually that does not seem far off of my observations from what I've seen reported over the years.

For you to say this, you must misunderstand what is meant by weather.  I assume that you mean it as "today's weather".

I mean the science of meteorology.  This is the actual backbone of climate, and is the medium through which the instantaneous expression of chaotic impressions of climate occur. 

Further, what I have seen is that deniers and warmers are not falling into any trap on the subject of weather.  Rather, warmers shriek hysterically about extreme weather as proof of their creeds, and "deniers" tongue in cheek or outright joking, call out interesting facts like record snow blizzards occur anywhere Al Gore goes.

Makes total sense to me considering the dynamics of the two groups...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 04:22:24 PM

For you to say this, you must misunderstand what is meant by weather.  I assume that you mean it as "today's weather".

I mean the science of meteorology.  This is the actual backbone of climate, and is the medium through which the instantaneous expression of chaotic impressions of climate occur. 

Further, what I have seen is that deniers and warmers are not falling into any trap on the subject of weather.  Rather, warmers shriek hysterically about extreme weather as proof of their creeds, and "deniers" tongue in cheek or outright joking, call out interesting facts like record snow blizzards occur anywhere Al Gore goes.

"Warmists" cannot have a sense of humor as they know something we do not...

El Emperador

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 05:14:11 PM

But who benefits of this global warming terrorism?

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 05:25:56 PM

Everyone who tells you YOU should stop having babies and heat yourself...

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 05:44:08 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2014, 06:04:50 PM by tvbcof

Many many people.  Do you remember Hank Paulson?  GW Bush's treasury secretary?  The guy who threatened lawmakers with marshal law if they didn't cough up the bailout money that the banks wanted?  He's one.

CAGW (catastrophic anthropogenic global warming) is one facet of the 'sustainability' movement, and the number of people lining their pockets off aspects of it are incalculable.  Folks like Paulson who have plenty of money are more interested in the 'inventory and control' utility of the movement.

BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 05:53:03 PM

Banfanatiks are more common that CO2!

money is faster...
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 05:53:34 PM

Fair assumption...considering what I commented on.

Scientific rigor applied to observations of weather --> climate.  By my definition at any rate.

I see relatively little humor in some of the Fox News commentary claiming that a weather event implies something about climate.  Although I don't tend to follow mainstream media of any flavor, I've seen it more than once from them.

It is true that the 'skeptic' side tends to be a good deal more mirthful in going about their business than the 'warmist' side.  This makes research more enjoyable to me.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 01:54:44 AM

Fair assumption...considering what I commented on.

Scientific rigor applied to observations of weather --> climate.  By my definition at any rate.

I see relatively little humor in some of the Fox News commentary claiming that a weather event implies something about climate.  Although I don't tend to follow mainstream media of any flavor, I've seen it more than once from them.

It is true that the 'skeptic' side tends to be a good deal more mirthful in going about their business than the 'warmist' side.  This makes research more enjoyable to me.

I have to note that it is possible, because this has been a sort of "running joke" for years, that some of us would see the joke and some would not.

Also you noted...

IIRC climate is defined as weather aggregated and measured over periods of 30 years.  So for example, climate for 1980, 1981 and 1982 would be based on

1965-1994
1966-1995
1967-1996

It is considered that these types of lengths of time eliminate the variability seen due to the fundamental mathematical chaotic nature of the system.

You see that this eliminates almost any ability to talk about "severe weather events" such as tornados, hurricanes, flooding except as a joke. 

RE Fox News, sorry I really do not know much about it's content.  I am too impatient to learn things quickly to stand the television format.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 08:09:00 PM

Socialist French President Hollande: Global Warming May Lead To War

French President Francois Hollande said failure to address global warming could lead to war, and called on G20 countries to act ahead of a climate change conference in Paris next year.

“We will meet again in Paris to sign a global agreement that will prevent the planet from experiencing global warming of as much as three or four degrees (Celsius), which could lead to catastrophe, if not war,” Hollande said at the G20 summit in Brisbane.

“One way to prevent conflicts and catastrophe is by taking decisions.”

Hollande hopes countries will sign binding agreements to limit global warming to two degrees at the conference, which will run from Nov. 30 to Dec. 11, 2015.

At the G20 summit, other nations overrode host Australia’s attempts to keep climate change off the agenda and agreed to call for strong action with the aim of adopting a binding protocol at the Paris conference.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/hollande-raises-specter-war-over-climate-change-133133544.html

Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: