Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:49:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 200 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [SKY] Skycoin Launch Announcement  (Read 381515 times)
Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:50:02 PM

4 mouthes passed, just 30 pages about skycoin. it seems that few person care about the coin.

I hope that many like me have been watching it for the past 4 months... Just not commenting. Smiley

It's better
Dev make a ninja ipo like nxt, guaranteed success!
Launch at Cryptocointalk not here
LemonAndFries

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:43:32 PM

4 mouthes passed, just 30 pages about skycoin. it seems that few person care about the coin.

I hope that many like me have been watching it for the past 4 months... Just not commenting. Smiley

Don't feel alone, same here.
twistelaar
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:51:57 PM

When can we expect the IPO ?
td services

Activity: 448

black swan hunter

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:01:09 PM

I keep getting the following error from ./run.sh -h , from github/skycoin/skycoin file secp256k1-g
https://i.imgur.com/fMHdTsH.jpg

Code:
apt-get install libgmp-dev

Thanks! I ended up on the Ethereum installation instructions doing a google search for "ubuntu libgmp" when it wouldn't install with "sudo apt-get install libgmp" and just installed all the dependencies listed there. Ethereum prefers Ubuntu 13.04 over 12.04, maybe Skycoin does as well. For some reason, Ubuntu gmp is under libgmp-dev instead of libgmp.

I want to migrate over to arch linux for Beaglebone and other SoC devices (R-Pi isn't quite strong enough for the entire stack of personal cloud/self hosting of Indiebox and the wish list at http://p2pconnects.us/2013/12/30/assembling-my-personal-cloud/), thought Ubuntu would be more complete for a quick and easy install - think I might as well have went with arch linux since that is the goal for a low powered, always on device with network access.

Is there any Skycoin test coin available and a test net? My client came up with a bunch of addresses but no transactions. I'm not sure what I would use as a receiving address. Any docs on how to use?

Does the above display look right, or should I be seeing some numbers or transaction activity?

I'm trying it out an ArchLinux install now to run it on Beaglebone once I get it running on Virtualbox on the Indiebox stack.
yshuifejng

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 01:51:53 AM

Don't feel alone, same here.

me too  Grin

I like free distribution      CoolCoin - Free+IPO POS. CJ5pCML7uAMDvgT514pwFvwB1ZzvxeoNPF  TheSmurfsCoin. TZxXFT6CJ8p7LHSaM8mWQtqveejzvpEusu       [ANN] PixxCoin | PoS | Wallet with built in Exchange Dice Game And Fa | Free IPO       Get GiveawayCoin(GC)? (Free 100%NO IPO NO POW,PURE POS. G*********      ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution.   Let's flower the moon.     Coffeecoin- 100% FREE Distribution    FootballCoin(FBC):FXf6Xy5hof6GJZZhC9B5TkBi7kKKojusde   Freebiescoin- 100% Free Distribution.       Energycoin - Save Energy, Pure POS (Free IPO).
skycoin (OP)

Activity: 498
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 05:43:26 AM
Last edit: March 24, 2014, 05:58:44 AM by skycoin

I keep getting the following error from ./run.sh -h , from github/skycoin/skycoin file secp256k1-g
https://i.imgur.com/fMHdTsH.jpg

Code:
apt-get install libgmp-dev

Thanks! I ended up on the Ethereum installation instructions doing a google search for "ubuntu libgmp" when it wouldn't install with "sudo apt-get install libgmp" and just installed all the dependencies listed there. Ethereum prefers Ubuntu 13.04 over 12.04, maybe Skycoin does as well. For some reason, Ubuntu gmp is under libgmp-dev instead of libgmp.

I want to migrate over to arch linux for Beaglebone and other SoC devices (R-Pi isn't quite strong enough for the entire stack of personal cloud/self hosting of Indiebox and the wish list at http://p2pconnects.us/2013/12/30/assembling-my-personal-cloud/), thought Ubuntu would be more complete for a quick and easy install - think I might as well have went with arch linux since that is the goal for a low powered, always on device with network access.

Is there any Skycoin test coin available and a test net? My client came up with a bunch of addresses but no transactions. I'm not sure what I would use as a receiving address. Any docs on how to use?

Does the above display look right, or should I be seeing some numbers or transaction activity?

I'm trying it out an ArchLinux install now to run it on Beaglebone once I get it running on Virtualbox on the Indiebox stack.

Yes. You have it working! The wallet gui is running a GTK window that embeds webkit. The wallet is HTML/Angular with a localhost golang webserver. That is what you are looking at. The wallet uses the JSON interface to check balances and do sends.

- We dont have transaction history yet. You can check balance and do sends using the unspent output set, but transaction history requires parsing old blocks and putting it in a database.
- The wallet RPC is currently being updated (in branch) to support multiple wallets and the new deterministic wallet seeds.
- Then the wallet code will be updated to match the new RPC before launch
- You can run a local blockchain, but the global testnet blockchain is not running right now.
- There is a tool in ./compile/test-coverage that generates an HTML coverage test across repo
- ./test.sh runs the unit tests for each module
- you can generate addresses and test out deterministic wallets with ` go run ./cmd/address_gen/address_gen.go -a -n=5 -seed="test" `. This tool needs some work. This prints 5 (pubkey, seckey, address) pairs generated from wallet seed "test"

Technically, we can launch testnet right now. Everything is working.  There are a few changes I wanted to make however
- new wire protocol
- reduce number of command line options
- simplify module interfaces and take steps towards requirements for Obelisk integration
- hardcode genesis block parameters into source instead of using configuration files
- document JSON RPC that exchanges need

After launch we have to
- work on darknet
- language translations for wallet
- improvements to connection pool and wire protocol required for Obelisk
- work on Obelisk and achieve full decentralization
- blockchain explorer and transaction history
- blockchain database module (for storing and querying transaction history)
- benchmarks for blockchain parsing

The priorities are
1. Get blockchain running and windows, osx and Linux binaries released
2. Skycoin Darknet v0.2 Running
3. progress towards Obelisk implementation

The user community is giving a lot of support. We have volunteers working on the wifi controller library for the darknet and others have made significant contributions to the darknet design. Others have donated Bitcoin to pay for build and testing servers and others are working on a Docker wrapper for Skycoin node deployment and working on the Chinese wallet translation.

The code base is becoming very clean and modular. Skycoin will be much easier for new developers to work on and improve compared to the Bitcoin source.

Update:

The new wallet and wallet rpc branch has been merged into the main branch.

provenceday
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:35:14 AM

will wait for the launch day.
kenobius
Legendary

Activity: 1650
Merit: 1033

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 07:43:48 AM

Please tell me about Darknet and Obelisk. I don't understand, what is it.
skycoin (OP)

Activity: 498
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 09:27:25 AM
Last edit: March 24, 2014, 08:54:14 PM by skycoin

What is Obelisk?

Obelisk is what makes Skycoin, Bitcoin 2.0. Obelisk is a sustainable alternative to proof-of-work. Obelisk is a system that replaces proof of work for blockchain consensus and eliminates the possibility of a 51% attack.

Obelisk was inspired by academic research into adversarial distributed time-stamping and algorithms such as Ben-Or's, Paxos, and the Castro-Liskov PBFT algorithm. Obelisk is a new solution to the Byzantine Generals problem which offers strong mathematical security guarantees, even when the majority of nodes are hostile.

What is the Skycoin Darknet Project?

The Darknet project is the first major Skycoin application.

https://github.com/skycoin/darknet

How does Obelisk Improve on Bitcoin:

Obelisk and specific design decisions may allow Skycoin to achieve transaction confirmation times as low as four seconds, without compromising security.

Skycoin does not waste electricity or consume exponentially growing, unsustainable amounts of electricity unlike Bitcoin.

Skycoin cannot be 51% attacked. No matter how much money or hashing power an adversary has, they cannot reverse transactions.

Obelisk Technical Aspects:

Obelisk allows consensus on multiple concurrent branches simultaneously so the network does not stop for consensus. For instance, if there are two outstanding candidate branches in the possible consensus set and both branches have executed your transaction, your transaction is effectively executed and the outputs available for spending regardless of the future consensus decisions. The output hashs only depend on the input and the transaction hash, not upon the block the transaction was executed in.

The chance of a blockchain fork at block X in Skycoin approaches zero exponentially quickly in the number of blocks minted on top of X. Therefore increasing block rate improves Skycoin security (up to a point) where as increasing block rate decreases Bitcoin security (increases orphan rate). In Bitcoin, the effort required to fork at a particular block is the network hash rate times the time since the block. Decreasing the time between blocks leaves this number constant. Forking a chain with 10 blocks one minute apart requires the same level of effort as forking a chain with one block 10 minutes apart.

In Skycoin each Obelisk node has a "public broadcast channel" which timestamps block announces and counter timestamps the arrival of messages from other Obelisk nodes (construction of public broadcast channel is in Obelisk paper). If a node attempts to revert network consensus and fork the chain at a earlier block, the other nodes can prove mathematically that with high probability the block did not exist (was not announced to network) at the time the node claims to have made its local consensus decision in favor of the block.

Its possible to construct an unforgable mathematical "proof of fail" using the signed timestamps. The proof can be verified by third parties, showing the node is retroactively claiming consensus for a block that was not announced to the network at time it claims consensus. Any node receiving the proof would sever its trust (public broadcast channel subscription) relationships with the cheating node and furthermore you can safely sever trust relationships with any node that fails to sever trust relationships with the cheating node.

Ripple assumes that the nodes running the network can be trusted. Skycoin assumes they are cheating, detects the cheating and bans them.  Skycoin uses a "relational consensus" model, similar to Ripple but Skycoin should not be compared to Ripple because Ripple does not meet the Bitcoin criteria for decentralization.

td services

black swan hunter

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:05:08 PM

I'm getting very excited. Thanks for the updates.
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

Activity: 868

Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:09:43 PM

What is Obelisk?

Obelisk is what makes Skycoin, Bitcoin 2.0. Obelisk is a sustainable alternative to proof-of-work. Obelisk is a system that replaces proof of work for blockchain consensus and eliminates the possibility of a 51% attack.

Obelisk was inspired by academic research into adversarial distributed time-stamping and algorithms such as Ben-Or's, Paxos, and the Castro-Liskov PBFT algorithm. Obelisk is a new solution to the Byzantine Generals problem which offers strong mathematical security guarantees, even when the majority of nodes are hostile.

What is the Skycoin Darknet Project?

The Darknet project is the first major Skycoin application.

https://github.com/skycoin/darknet

How does Obelisk Improve on Bitcoin:

Obelisk and specific design decisions may allow Skycoin to achieve transaction confirmation times as low as four seconds, without compromising security.

Skycoin does not waste electricity or consume exponentially growing, unsustainable amounts of electricity unlike Bitcoin.

Obelisk Technical Aspects:

Obelisk allows consensus on multiple concurrent branches simultaneously so the network does not stop for consensus. For instance, if there are two outstanding candidate branches in the possible consensus set and both branches have executed your transaction, your transaction is effectively executed and the outputs available for spending regardless of the future consensus decisions. The output hashs only depend on the input and the transaction hash, not upon the block the transaction was executed in.

The chance of a blockchain fork at block X in Skycoin approaches zero exponentially quickly in the number of blocks minted on top of X. Therefore increasing block rate improves Skycoin security (up to a point) where as increasing block rate decreases Bitcoin security (increases orphan rate). In Bitcoin, the effort required to fork at a particular block is the network hash rate times the time since the block. Decreasing the time between blocks leaves this number constant. Forking a chain with 10 blocks one minute apart requires the same level of effort as forking a chain with one block 10 minutes apart.

In Skycoin each Obelisk node has a "public broadcast channel" which timestamps block announces and counter timestamps the arrival of messages from other Obelisk nodes (construction of public broadcast channel is in Obelisk paper). If a node attempts to revert network consensus and fork the chain at a earlier block, the other nodes can prove mathematically that with high probability the block did not exist (was not announced to network) at the time the node claims to have made its local consensus decision in favor of the block.

Its possible to construct an unforgable mathematical "proof of fail" using the signed timestamps. The proof can be verified by third parties, showing the node is retroactively claiming consensus for a block that was not announced to the network at time it claims consensus. Any node receiving the proof would sever its trust (public broadcast channel subscription) relationships with the cheating node and furthermore you can safely sever trust relationships with any node that fails to sever trust relationships with the cheating node.

Ripple assumes that the nodes running the network can be trusted. Skycoin assumes they are cheating, detects the cheating and bans them.  Skycoin uses a "relational consensus" model, similar to Ripple but Skycoin should not be compared to Ripple because Ripple does not meet the Bitcoin criteria for decentralization.

Interesting.  You keep mentioning a paper?  Where can I find this paper?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
renxiaoyao

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 01:01:20 AM

Thanks for the updates. i will keep watching  Grin

Freebiescoin- 100% Free Distribution. FAbgdHsZY9fY93X6oUoc8ACBjL9wV9k72H       Energycoin - Save Energy, Pure POS (Free IPO). eBzyNniLBsX59xrZHZWVwDdW1mawEcrB23      TheSmurfsCoin. TZrhui2Wa2r8FzGsdoQEDtcv6BRH9DUJPA    Get GiveawayCoin(GC)? (Free 100%NO IPO NO POW,PURE POS. G*********      [ANN] PixxCoin | PoS | Wallet with built in Exchange Dice Game And Fa | Free IPO    CoolCoin - Free+IPO POS. CJhaoW6TL8SzKetS49J3KeGvDuwspJKPVk   FootballCoin(FBC):FdcmdXfEdSii6BC9bhb6BnLNT5B4ZWLdCX
kdrop22

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 07:12:00 PM

Can any one help with this install error.

Installation/Launch Error

user1@ubuntu:~/skycoin$ ./run.sh -h
cmd/skycoindev/skycoindev.go:4:5: cannot find package "github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/cli" in any of:
   /usr/lib/go/src/pkg/github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/cli (from $GOROOT)
   /home/user1/go/src/github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/cli (from $GOPATH)
cmd/skycoindev/skycoindev.go:5:5: cannot find package "github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/skycoin" in any of:
   /usr/lib/go/src/pkg/github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/skycoin (from $GOROOT)
   /home/user1/go/src/github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/skycoin (from $GOPATH)
td services

black swan hunter

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 07:59:02 PM

Can any one help with this install error.

Installation/Launch Error

user1@ubuntu:~/skycoin$ ./run.sh -h
cmd/skycoindev/skycoindev.go:4:5: cannot find package "github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/cli" in any of:
   /usr/lib/go/src/pkg/github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/cli (from $GOROOT)
   /home/user1/go/src/github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/cli (from $GOPATH)
cmd/skycoindev/skycoindev.go:5:5: cannot find package "github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/skycoin" in any of:
   /usr/lib/go/src/pkg/github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/skycoin (from $GOROOT)
   /home/user1/go/src/github.com/skycoin/skycoin/src/skycoin (from $GOPATH)

Try "sudo apt-get install libgmp-dev" (maybe just "apt-get install libgmp-dev")

If this doesn't work by itself, I found following http://ethereum-miner.tumblr.com/post/75205573886/linux-ubuntu-install-guide up to the point where it starts getting into Ethereum specific instructions finally got things working on Ubuntu 12.04. You also need to make sure you have all of the Skycoin dependencies listed and dependencies of Skycoin dependencies installed as well. The installer script does not install them.
l4p7

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:54:40 AM

How are the coins distributed?
I didnt read the whole thread. To those that did: What was the strongest arguement/indicator/proof that this is not a scam?
Thx
Korean

Activity: 137

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:04:04 AM

If you are not willing to read the thread, you should not invest.

This is not a coin for speculators, you won't get rich off this coin. Speculators add nothing of value to this join. This coin is about the darknet.

Move along, nothing to see here
Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:13:12 AM

lol
Korean

Activity: 137

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:19:00 AM

100,000 coins are released every day after the IPO. How's that for wanting to get rich?
vs

Each block takes ten minutes, so there are six blocks per hour, 24 hours per day. The original block reward was 50 BTC. Thus, 7200 BTC per day introduced to the system.

lubing7683

Activity: 486

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:57:03 AM

interesting concept
this is a good idea
will keep watching.
CraigM

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:47:21 AM

Since a few people seem to be having issues getting SkyCoin running, I'll say what I did. Note: I foolishly didn't take notes while doing this, so something might be missing. I tried using the "setup.sh" script, but it messed with my .bashrc and seemed to need gvm which it apparently failed to install. I choose not to use gvm since it seemed needless and messy, and not to mess with linking directories around: I just added another GOPATH entry.

Setup guide:
Since I haven't reviewed all the code, I'm not going to run in on a computer I care about. Thus I setup a virtual machine (I choose linux mint in VirtualBox). I take no responsibility for what all this does to your computer and/or network. Take the proper precautions!

I installed (via sudo apt-get install) git, mercurial, libgmp-dev, libc-dev. I also installed Go 1.2.1 from here: https://code.google.com/p/go/downloads/list (You need at least 1.2, and my package manager only had 1.1)
I setup a GOPATH environment variable (http://golang.org/doc/code.html#GOPATH) in my .bashrc with 2 paths (colon separated), one for third party libs (the first entry on GOPATH where Go get puts stuff be default), and one for the skycoin repo. You can put them both in one if you want.

If you install Go in a non standard location, you need to set $GOROOT.

Add go to the $PATH in .bashrc: "export PATH=$PATH:$GOROOT/bin"

create the path: $GOPATH/src/github.com/skycoin/
and in there "git clone https://github.com/skycoin/skycoin.git"

This gives you a path "$GOPATH/src/github.com/skycoin/skycoin" (Note the skycoin/skycoin, you must have both directories)

In there, "go get -u" to download/update all dependencies.

"./run.sh -web-interface=true" will get you a web server you can view at http://127.0.0.1:6402 for the UI.

Currently if I run the UI it keeps printing panics, and does not seem to be working, but at least it runs shows a UI and prints lots of things.

If you follow this, please let me know if it works or need and changes/improvements.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 200 »
  Print  

Jump to: