Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:25:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] SolidCoin - new and improved block chain. Secure from pools  (Read 85445 times)
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 07:53:00 PM

I thought I give this a try and got the following on two different Linux machines:

EXCEPTION: N5boost16exception_detail10clone_implINS0_19error_info_injectorINS_6system12sys tem_errorEEEEE       
Address already in use       
solidcoin in ThreadRPCServer()       

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::system::system_error> >'
  what():  Address already in use
 <unfinished ...>
+++ killed by SIGABRT +++
Aborted

Strace doesn't say anything about it failing to bind network ports, I'm not sure what kind of address it's talking about.

Nice software product there. It looks like it was coded by infosys or wipro.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 07:54:03 PM

lurk lurk Smiley

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
sd

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 07:57:45 PM

As Bitcoin itself and other similar chains have seen, there are numerous vulnerabilities and issues in the protocol, including :-
  • Slow transaction speeds, often making waiting for confirmations unbearable
  • Near complete shutdown of network due to pump-n-dumps by large operators
  • Transaction fee nightmares, no way of knowing what a fee will be until you've tried to send funds
  • Concentration of Bitcoins into elitist early adopters that have no interest or desire to help Bitcoins be used by "normal" people

WOW! Those arguments are laughably false. Was this written as a joke? Because I don't get it.
Nasakioto

Activity: 172
Merit: 283

Thomas Nasakioto

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 10:19:54 PM

Ixcoin is planning on using SolidCoin's difficulty smoothing algorithm in its upcoming release. More details here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36218.msg478310#msg478310.

Thomas Nasakioto - Upgrade to Ixcoin 0.3.24.3 before block 43,000
Ixcoin.org
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 10:21:17 PM

Ixcoin is planning on using SolidCoin's difficulty smoothing algorithm in its upcoming release. More details here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36218.msg478310#msg478310.

Could we expect anything less than copying once again?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Nasakioto

Activity: 172
Merit: 283

Thomas Nasakioto

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 11:16:25 PM

Dear self-declared-scammer Smoothie,  I believe we can all learn from each other. There's some positive feedback coming from these alternative blockchains which I'm confident will also benefit Bitcoin too.

Thomas Nasakioto - Upgrade to Ixcoin 0.3.24.3 before block 43,000
Ixcoin.org
cengique

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 11:58:40 PM

Ok, just asking for a bounty for the post I made here: http://forum.stillpsycho.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=920&sid=eed72a52e4c6314ea524079b27cb13e3. It's in Turkish, but it does fit and follows a previous discussion on Bitcoin. Smiley

Here's my wallet: sJQUr9VydnQP48pmZQrwdy4GS6yBcDtziW
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 12:08:12 AM

Strace doesn't say anything about it failing to bind network ports, I'm not sure what kind of address it's talking about.

if you're running Gnome or DBUS then the JSON-RPC port used by solidcoin is probably conflicting. They both use 7556. Add the 'rpcport=...' option in solidcoin.conf, setting '...' to another port number.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 12:58:23 AM

Dear self-declared-scammer Smoothie,  I believe we can all learn from each other. There's some positive feedback coming from these alternative blockchains which I'm confident will also benefit Bitcoin too.

Look up the definition of the word "scam" before using it. Just like you should probably do more research on the bitcoin source code before releasing it as your own currency or "fork" as you put it.

And no, I'm sorry you have to resort to copying another bitcoin fork's source code to get your precious ixcoin network out of the uber long difficulty adjustment.

Yeah first you said ixcoin was a bitcoin fork now you're copying code from another fork of bitcoin. Sounds like you did not have enough "vision" to see past the BTC or $ signs you saw when premining 580k douchecoins for your holding.

The only scammer here is you. You have been dishonest in your actions even til this day by currently copying code from solidcoins and saying "Hey guys, we're back in business over here in ixcoins. Now that I've fixed the difficulty adjustment problem by copying code. Stop mining solidcoins or bitcoins and mine with ixcoins because they add 'value' to the original bitcoin client."

LOL Seriously you're a fucking douche who can't admit when he has failed. Your precious ixcoin network will go down the toilet purely because you don't know what you are doing and are depending upon alternate block chains to bail you out with good ideas that you can simply copy and say "Guys I fixed it. Come back".

Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

sd

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 02:16:26 AM

if you're running Gnome or DBUS then the JSON-RPC port used by solidcoin is probably conflicting. They both use 7556. Add the 'rpcport=...' option in solidcoin.conf, setting '...' to another port number.

That doesn't seem to be the problem on either of the systems:

# netstat -nptl | grep 7556
#

One is Ubuntu 11.04/64, the other Debian 6.0.2 (squeeze)/32. The debian machine doesn't have gnome, DBUS, or even X running.
CoinHunter (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 02:29:25 AM

Ok, just asking for a bounty for the post I made here: http://forum.stillpsycho.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=920&sid=eed72a52e4c6314ea524079b27cb13e3. It's in Turkish, but it does fit and follows a previous discussion on Bitcoin. Smiley

Sent, thank you. Smiley

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
CoinHunter (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 02:37:56 AM

He is free to copy anything (and hopefully credits where it came from too), it's open source we're talking here. However merely copying and not improving isn't going to drive many people to a program I don't feel, especially when the source of the updates (SolidCoin) others are taking is still being updated and improved. Smiley

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 02:40:19 AM

He is free to copy anything (and hopefully credits where it came from too), it's open source we're talking here. However merely copying and not improving isn't going to drive many people to a program I don't feel, especially when the source of the updates (SolidCoin) others are taking is still being updated and improved. Smiley

I agree with everything you said.

Especially the part about not improving the code that was copied.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

cengique

Activity: 64

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 02:51:25 AM

Sent, thank you. Smiley

Thanks! Got it!

BTW, I had a similar problem with the ports, and even though I could not see any problems in netstat, putting a new rpcport option in the config file fixed it. Now solidcoind runs and hooks itself to port 7555, although I have a totally different port written in the conf file. So I don't completely understand, but it is a solution.
CoinHunter (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 02:52:58 AM

Sent, thank you. Smiley

Thanks! Got it!

BTW, I had a similar problem with the ports, and even though I could not see any problems in netstat, putting a new rpcport option in the config file fixed it. Now solidcoind runs and hooks itself to port 7555, although I have a totally different port written in the conf file. So I don't completely understand, but it is a solution.

There are two ports to consider, 7555 is the operating port (which is what you use to talk to others on network) opening this on your router/firewall will give you better speeds.

7556 is the default RPC port, which you use do communicate with miners and websites, things like this. For the normal user it's irrelevant. Changing the RPC port might need to be done on some Linux operating systems though.

Lorna Morgan

Activity: 84

I like Bitcoin, Monero and BCash

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 05:23:53 AM

It's done!!

http://lorna-morgan.com/big-nude-boobs/join/join.html

Who's going to be first to join using SC Huh ?   Embarrassed

• bounty address; sfPBZCEh6Kk6jXeyWoiQywYpEjrvHT7uSm

First 6 "Other" sites to accept SolidCoin

Yeah that will qualify, however I find it very difficult to be able to get the SolidCoin address to send to? Requiring people to write down on paper the address seems a bit difficult? If you could improve it so it's more easily accessible the SC will be yours!

Did you forget all about me hun?

Love Lorna xxx want to show your appreciation? 18wniNA6JfAVdZJi8if9k4JEHZgEu6kNRA
Lorna Morgan Facebook | Twitter
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 05:26:06 AM

There are two ports to consider, 7555 is the operating port (which is what you use to talk to others on network) opening this on your router/firewall will give you better speeds.

7556 is the default RPC port, which you use do communicate with miners and websites, things like this. For the normal user it's irrelevant. Changing the RPC port might need to be done on some Linux operating systems though.

How do I do this?

Mousepotato
wolftaur

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 05:31:56 AM

Yeah, that's the beauty of open-source. Actual creators can have related ideas and work with each other and share code and improvements. Users can make improvements and submit them along. And everyone who can read code can look inside and see how everything works.

The downside is we get people who simply siphon everything others created, and give nothing back whatsoever. Open-source was meant to spread the benefit, not to concentrate it in the hands of someone with ulterior motives who will then act as if he is the one who created something "better" while posting slanderous comments about anyone who disagrees, along with spreading unprovable and likely false statements about the project he got all of "his" code from.

Shame it's too hard to enforce a "no scammers and no assholes" clause in a FOSS license.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
wolftaur

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 05:37:04 AM

I also wanted to note, separately, that I've been following what's been going on with SolidCoin since it came out, and I have to give you kudos for the hard work you're obviously doing on the client. Since I first ran across Bitcoin I've been practically drooling to see what ended up getting done with it once a wider range of coders got seriously interested, and SolidCoin certainly seems to be shaping up to be a nice source of improvement and alternate ideas.

And, yeah, I have a GPU mining SolidCoin now. Smiley (Still have most of 'em on Bitcoin, though.)

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 05:46:49 AM

Yeah, that's the beauty of open-source. Actual creators can have related ideas and work with each other and share code and improvements. Users can make improvements and submit them along. And everyone who can read code can look inside and see how everything works.

The downside is we get people who simply siphon everything others created, and give nothing back whatsoever. Open-source was meant to spread the benefit, not to concentrate it in the hands of someone with ulterior motives who will then act as if he is the one who created something "better" while posting slanderous comments about anyone who disagrees, along with spreading unprovable and likely false statements about the project he got all of "his" code from.

Shame it's too hard to enforce a "no scammers and no assholes" clause in a FOSS license.

+1

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  

Jump to: