Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:12:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 [533] 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276303 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:02:57 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2015, 12:14:01 AM by Anotheranonlol

How safe is https://counterwallet.io?

Can somebody explain to me how is this working? How can we be sure that somebody is not putting a backdoor like form to steal our 12 words password upon login?

It's open-source, and everything is handled using javascript (on your computer). The actual login and transaction signing process isn't done on any server (in fact your passphrase is never sent to counterwallet.io), instead it all happens inside your browser: https://counterwallet.io/js/counterwallet-min.js?v=03f7c112aa43

If you are still worried, you could run Counterwallet, or counterpartyd (the command line client) on your own computer. CounterpartyGUI (graphical user interface for your local computer) is coming soon, see http://counterparty.io/news/counterparty-development-update-10/.

Does that mean that I can download the counterwallet.io and make a clone of it, and run it on localhost webserver?

I trust https://counterwallet.io but I can't trust it 24/7. You can never know if somebody's gonna be able at some point to inject some code into the javascript.

You can run your own CounterWallet instances. It should also be possible for a third party to run a service that verifies the  CW assets hashes on github and compares them to the ones being served up to you on CounterWallet to be sure nobody has inserted anything malicous within. (Or a browser extension that achieves the same thing) You could even package the relevant assets directly into a chrome app and be sure they are running locally. For larger amounts of XCP it's recommended to do cold-storage or watch only wallets. You can always check the balance with block-explorers without logging in.

Is there any archive with the counterparty.io web wallet? It's a paint to recreate all files one by one

https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterwallet

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 07:03:12 AM

Disclaimer: I know nothing, this post is purely speculation on my behalf.

don't worry you are not the only one left in the dark.

on the other hand i learned something interesting about Ethereum the other day.

Really appreciate if you could share it.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 01:47:37 PM

When I run CounterWallet in PC, will I have to download full Blockchain? I heard I have to and for clarification, I posted above but didn't get any response.

~~MZ~~

mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876

Etherscan.io

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 02:08:59 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2015, 02:54:50 AM by mtbitcoin

When I run CounterWallet in PC, will I have to download full Blockchain? I heard I have to and for clarification, I posted above but didn't get any response.

~~MZ~~

If you are running a local instance of Counterwallet on your PC, the short answer is yes.

Alternatively you can also just run counterpartyd cli (which also requires the full blockchain download)

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
Anotheranonlol

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 02:09:58 PM

~~MZ~~

You don't have to run the full blockchain to use CounterWallet, CounterWallet is already connected to a CounterParty deamon that has synced a full copy of the blockchain.

Of course (unless you connect to an existing counterpartyd) if you want to download and configure your own version of CounterWallet and host that yourself or run locally you will have to run your own daemon, which will require you to download the full blockchain.

profitofthegods

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 02:21:55 PM

Just got some of these free to my NXT wallet. Apparently they are sending them out soon via Counterparty to any Bitcoin address with >50 XCP. Looks kind of interesting:

http://cybershares.net/
infobel

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:54:46 PM

Anybody managed to run counterwallet on localhost? https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterwallet/

I run ubuntu 14.04.1

What are the dependencies?
Any step by step installation/configuration tutorial for this? Smiley

Thanks
Equality 7-2521

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

A difference which makes a difference

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 11:17:47 PM

Anybody managed to run counterwallet on localhost? https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterwallet/

I run ubuntu 14.04.1

Thanks

I think you need to set up a federated node -  https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterpartyd_build/blob/master/docs/SettingUpAFederatedNode.rst

infobel

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:20:43 PM

I run ubuntu 14.04.1

Thanks

I think you need to set up a federated node -  https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterpartyd_build/blob/master/docs/SettingUpAFederatedNode.rst

Why? the counterwallet.io is working by running a plain javascript on your browser.
I don't see what's the difference by running it from a localhost webserver
profitofthegods

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 10:01:10 AM

Just got some of these free to my NXT wallet. Apparently they are sending them out soon via Counterparty to any Bitcoin address with >50 XCP. Looks kind of interesting:

http://cybershares.net/

Interesting, although I almost wonder why they are bothering with counterparty distribution when it represents only 0.2%.

Is that all? Damn, I hadn't noticed that.
yeXIABC

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 03:35:39 PM

Tile coin is a cryptoken which has enables access.
you can any bill payment to use this coin.
you can any investment in tile coin.
tile vest is the crowed equality finding, mechanism.
tile exchanging is the decentratized trading platform
vince232

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:01:59 PM

do this coin have a windows desktop wallet an official one?
Anotheranonlol

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:43:28 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2015, 06:11:01 PM by Anotheranonlol

There is a bit of confusion in the air with regards to some of the recent quotes by the Overstock CEO and the various interpretations of them.  It's arguable that they do seem to be getting progressively vague and I can see why some might get the idea this is Byrne distancing himself, while others adopt the mindset it's business as usual in the background and recent price action is just an excuse to take advantage of a price dip based on skewed info. I'd expect the developers to be under some sort of NDA preventing them from saying too much beyond what's already said so I don't think you will be able to rely on full clarifications right now.

It's a shame to see hot/cold snippets trickle down into the news then waves of buying or selling based simply on said snippets, although it's not as if you would expect market participants to not react to them. A binary yes or no, or no news at all would be preferable. However Let's not forget CounterParty has great value potential since far before Medici was ever announced, has continued to show great promise more than a year later with incredible unexpected additions like turing complete scripting language, multisig, to name just two. Hope that we don't stay in a cycle of ups and downs with everything revolving around the currently non-existant Medici

deliciousowl

Activity: 432

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 08:36:41 PM

I totally agree with your post but it would be nice to have at least a comment, even if it's "we can't say anything because we're under an NDA". Whether we agree with the market action or not I think it's reasonably clear that it is placing a high value on counterparty being associated with Medici. But anyway I hear your point and agree with everything you’ve said.

On a different topic I’ve been wondering recently if there are any plans for how we can drive increased use and adoption of the DEX. I know that the vending service was relaunched recently but haven’t seen much happen beyond that. Granted a lot has happened since XCP was initialized a year ago but one of the selling features initially was the DEX itself and the value that this would provide over centralized exchanges. I don’t personally have any concrete suggestions yet but it’s certainly something that I’ve been thinking about a lot.  

Smart contracts (and more projects that use XCP).

mitache365

Activity: 731
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 08:49:12 PM

will be not bad to have multipool and getting XCP from mining.

BTC
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 10:01:26 PM
Merited by nutildah (3)

There is a bit of confusion in the air with regards to some of the recent quotes by the Overstock CEO and the various interpretations of them.  It's arguable that they do seem to be getting progressively vague and I can see why some might get the idea this is Byrne distancing himself, while others adopt the mindset it's business as usual in the background and recent price action is just an excuse to take advantage of a price dip based on skewed info. I'd expect the developers to be under some sort of NDA preventing them from saying too much beyond what's already said so I don't think you will be able to rely on full clarifications right now.

It's a shame to see hot/cold snippets trickle down into the news then waves of buying or selling based simply on said snippets, although it's not as if you would expect market participants to not react to them. A binary yes or no, or no news at all would be preferable. However Let's not forget CounterParty has great value potential since far before Medici was ever announced, has continued to show great promise more than a year later with incredible unexpected additions like turing complete scripting language, multisig, to name just two. Hope that we don't stay in a cycle of ups and downs with everything revolving around the currently non-existant Medici

Yes, the situation is unclear---sorry, we just can't say much at the moment. There'll be some relevant (positive) announcements very soon, though! Suffice it to say that Evan, Robby and I will all be working on Counterparty for the forseeable future.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 11:03:40 PM

Yes, the situation is unclear---sorry, we just can't say much at the moment. There'll be some relevant (positive) announcements very soon, though! Suffice it to say that Evan, Robby and I will all be working on Counterparty for the forseeable future.

good to know, i think many were getting worried that 2 of the founders of the project would get distanced from it.
cyberhacker
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 02:04:00 AM

hi guys,

BTC2.0 SPV wallet compatible with XCP, GEMS, STORJ, SWARM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=761852.0

solid development with these ppl and company behind

1. Jeremie Miller  (Pinocc.io)
2. Eric Jennings  (Pinocc.io)
3. Josh Datko (cryptotronix)
4. Usman Haque (thingful.net)
mingzi1521

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 02:26:41 AM

hi guys,

BTC2.0 SPV wallet compatible with XCP, GEMS, STORJ, SWARM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=761852.0

solid development with these ppl and company behind

1. Jeremie Miller  (Pinocc.io)
2. Eric Jennings  (Pinocc.io)
3. Josh Datko (cryptotronix)
4. Usman Haque (thingful.net)

That's cool!
Anotheranonlol

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 05:46:34 AM
Last edit: January 14, 2015, 02:52:59 PM by Anotheranonlol

Thanks for the clarification. We'll have to stay tuned for that announcement.

On a different topic I’ve been wondering recently if there are any plans for how we can drive increased use and adoption of the DEX. I know that the vending service was relaunched recently but haven’t seen much happen beyond that. Granted a lot has happened since XCP was initialized a year ago but one of the selling features initially was the DEX itself and the value that this would provide over centralized exchanges. I don’t personally have any concrete suggestions yet but it’s certainly something that I’ve been thinking about a lot.  

Well IMO A big problem now is BTC dragging the whole markets down compared to when it was on a manic rise, despite the fact CounterParty has rightly relegated MasterCoin to the depths of coinmarketcap, CounterParty is still worth dollar denominated 1/10 of what MasterCoin was at it's peak. A lot of people are just getting more and more fed up and feeling like the safest place is back into fiat. The alt-markets are perhaps in the saddest state I've ever seen. A rising or at least horizontal BTC price gives users more comfort in experimenting medium-long term in alternative projects that really do deserve that kind of attention, like this project. I've noticed the quick flips and pump&dumps tend to fare better in bullish markets, people can make a quick buck in a short time with not much exposure and hop back into fiat, offsetting the losses from downtrending btc and driving more funds out of 'legit' projects.

As far as pushing increased adoption of the DEX, one of the biggest hurdles holding back wider scale adoption IMO is working with bitcoin in a secure way. After the recent gox, mintpal & bitstamp debacles now really is a great position for decentralized tech to start getting a little extra limelight but many in the scene seem deathly allergic to altcoins. There are stop-gap almost sidechan-like solutions like Vennd and BITCOINEX which work brilliantly once you're in the CounterParty ecosystem by creating the equivalent counterparty-btc for real btc inserted and allowing users to trade back at any time, but there's this additional mental layer involved for users new to the process and at least initially some users have an automatic block once the process becomes slightly fragmented and they aren't directly working with their BTC but kind of 1:1 IOU tokens, although essentially in a centralized exchange you don't have control over your BTC anyway and are also essentially holding IOU's , not to mention there's often no visible way to audit the sites reserves to be sure they aren't going fractional reserve on the users.

Something you can see starting to come together is the emergence of Blockchain 2.0 projects leveraging the CounterParty protocol. A recent example is GEMZ. Although GEMZ are native CounterParty assets and enjoy secure (albeit not instantaneous) peer-to-peer trading on CounterParty's decentralized order book many users will trade them back and forth for BTC on traditional exchanges, out of convenience,habit, or a desire for BTC. If you imagine a scenario where a user doesn't want to buy or sell GEMZ for another asset, instead they want to use XCP, or SJCX, or whatever other exciting project comes next  it might make more sense for them to directly list it on the DEX. SJCZ & GEMZ alone currently have a couple million dollars in market capitalisation which could provide a fair amount of transactional activity should users decide to start trading more on the DEX, but as the old wall street saying goes, liquidity begets liquidity.

Then you have the world of smart contracts on-top of that, not currently deployed mainnet but a lot of exciting possibilities there. It's an idea that's got a lot of coverage yet I think we've barely scratched the surface as to the possibilities. I certainly don't grasp the implications right now.

The whole crypto movement as an evolutionary process, the ecosystem begins to gradually filter out the irrelevant cruft and refine the needed portions. Certain projects begin emerging to fill in a piece of the puzzle. I think CounterParty fills an important part of this puzzle, enabling Bitcoin to fill roles it could of previously never filled in it's current state, without the leap away from the ledger with the already established network effect. Bitcoin purists can get a hard on for Sidechains all day long but all average joe has now to look at is a whitepaper while XCP just put the code out without the hand out and has continued to put code out here and now.

CounterParty itself is in an evolving state too, and there are pieces of the puzzle that could come together at any time. e.g emergence of trusted guarantors (could be as simple as an established exchange allowing fiat withdrawal/deposit to counterparty), external apps directly leveraging xcp instead of a token, fiat onramps,  larger otc presence, p2p exchanges, physical-digital asset representation bridges, further research into secure btcpays, etc  I have some personal ideas that are a while away from fruition (few months before it's even known whether they'll be possible) and I'm sure there's possibilities potentially years away, slow and steady seems a nice approach compared to a sudden boom and bust.  

Then there's things that can happen of their own accord, in a snowball effect purely by a byproduct of CounterParty reaching a certain level of maturity.
Still bear in mind even in this early stage, at the current moment today CounterParty transactions represented 2% of all Bitcoin transactions, not insignificant at all and quite exciting when you realise a 5x increase in usage is not in the completely crazy realm.

Pages: « 1 ... 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 [533] 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: