Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:22:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 [579] 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276302 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 03:11:38 AM

"As for Symbiont, it hasn’t publicized which blockchain it plans to implement for its self-executing securities, or if it will develop its own blockchain, as is the case with one of the company's competitors."

Man, are these guys going to use Counterparty or not?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2015, 03:30:06 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2015, 04:33:54 AM by Matt Y

"As for Symbiont, it hasn’t publicized which blockchain it plans to implement for its self-executing securities, or if it will develop its own blockchain, as is the case with one of the company's competitors."

This is random conjecture. Just read whatever is in quotation marks. The article even cuts off mid sentence at one point...

“It’s impossible to send that equity to any person without having gone through a number of steps that are written in the contract,” said Krellenstein. Instead of the contract being legally binding, it is “programmatically binding” — theoretically, that means the terms cannot be violated, which is good news for

wtf?

Welcome to the world where writers are underpaid and overworked and the only thing that matters is page views on churned out content. As far as I can tell, they take a few quotes, new ones in this case, then add "flavor" to it, but don't provide anything to back up the additional information, because there is nothing to back it up. Again, this guy may be right, but it's just his opinion until it's a quote or there's a legit source. Until then, the Counterparty.io post is king.

EDIT: And yes, obviously they are going to use Counterparty...

gumcruise

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 11:20:18 AM

No, they will use Mastercoin on a permissioned clone of the Doge blockchain which only runs on TI84s.
deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 11:21:34 AM

Ignore random journalists and their conjecture, and simply pay attention to what has been posted on the official Counterparty website:

During the last couple of months, our goal was to wrap up the large scale improvements to the Counterparty software suite, complete comprehensive security audits, and once the protocol reaches a mature state start focusing on and building tools and services around it. Symbiont is a step in that direction, developing products that will be utilizing this technology, and we’re very excited to see it be put into use in systems that power modern finance.

Source: http://counterparty.io/news/counterparty-community-update-july-24/

eustress

Activity: 26

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 12:25:22 PM

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/overstockcom-scheduled-to-release-q2-2015-financial-results-on-aug-6-2015-2015-07-28

"On Aug. 4 we are making an announcement related to our crypto-initiatives. We are confident people will wish to discuss this on our earnings call," said Overstock CEO Patrick M. Byrne. "Therefore, we decided to postpone our earnings call until Aug. 6. I look forward to speaking with you then."

Must be related to this - http://www.wired.com/2015/06/overstock-will-issue-private-bond-powered-bitcoin-tech/
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 12:41:30 PM

Has anyone used the Counterparty GUI?  Is it safe?

https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterparty-gui

If I want to move a small amount of XCP out of my stash, is there any way to do so besides using the GUI or sweeping the entire thing into Counterwallet and sending the amount I don't want to move back to from where it came?

I used to use the command line of counterpartyd to send some to counterwallet

The problem with that is I think it requires running a full bitcoin node.  Is there any way to send XCP without putting your private key online and without running a full bitcoin node?
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2015, 04:06:10 PM

Has anyone used the Counterparty GUI?  Is it safe?

https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterparty-gui

If I want to move a small amount of XCP out of my stash, is there any way to do so besides using the GUI or sweeping the entire thing into Counterwallet and sending the amount I don't want to move back to from where it came?

I used to use the command line of counterpartyd to send some to counterwallet

The problem with that is I think it requires running a full bitcoin node.  Is there any way to send XCP without putting your private key online and without running a full bitcoin node?

Armory: http://counterparty.io/docs/create_armory_address/

Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2015, 04:09:44 PM

No, they will use Mastercoin on a permissioned clone of the Doge blockchain which only runs on TI84s.

I had to Google what a TI84 is, but it was worth it.

gumcruise

Activity: 35

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 04:20:07 PM

Symbiont is trolling you all. They will clearly never use XCP on Wall Street. They are going  to make a clone called XCP-XT and they will not be mutually usable. The XCP will be smelted and turned into Factoms, XPY and the rest into Citicoin. Send me all your old XCP for recycling: 14Tf35AovvRVURzd623q5i9kry2EW8WzyL

Cornett

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

★ IT's Party Time! ★

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 05:46:04 PM

Symbiont is trolling you all. They will clearly never use XCP on Wall Street. They are going  to make a clone called XCP-XT and they will not be mutually usable. The XCP will be smelted and turned into Factoms, XPY and the rest into Citicoin. Send me all your old XCP for recycling: 14Tf35AovvRVURzd623q5i9kry2EW8WzyL

NASDAQ will operate with XCP and the Chain Inc. provider that will be the main operational instruments there. This days are coming Wink

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▄▄
░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░████████
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄░░░░░███████████▄▄
░▄▄██████████████▄▄███████████████▄
░▀▀██████████████▀▀░░░▀▀████████████
██▄▄▀▀██████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████████
██████▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███████
████████░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███
████████░░░░░▄▄███████▄▄░░░░░███▄▄░░▀
████████░░░███████████████░░░███████▄
░░▀▀████░░░░░▀▀███████▀▀░░░░░████████
██▄▄░░▀▀░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░████████
██████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░▀███████
████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄▀▀███
██████████▄▄░░░░▄▄██████████████▄▄
██████████████▄▄▀▀██████████████▀▀
░░▀▀████████████░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
░░░░░░▀▀████████░░░░░░░░▀▀
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██
OATH

████▀
███▀  ▀
██▀  ▀
█▀  ▀
▀  ▀
▄  ▄
█▄  ▄
██▄  ▄
███▄  ▄
████▄

▀████
▀  ▀███
▀  ▀██
▀  ▀█
▀  ▀
▄  ▄
▄  ▄█
▄  ▄██
▄  ▄███
▄████

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
Praxis
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 06:23:10 PM

Sent Wink
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2015, 01:12:58 AM

http://counterpartyfoundation.org/counterparty-community-update-july-30-spells-of-genesis-xcp-price-coindaddy-coinvend-getgems-julia-updates-more/

A word from our Chief Scientist regarding Smart Contracts, as it relates to the Ethereum Launch date

What follows is an official statement from Adam Krellenstein, the lead developer of the counterparty project:

“We’d like to give a quick update where things are at regarding offering the full Ethereum smart contracts functionality on Counterparty mainnet:

Currently we’re in a bit of a holding pattern in finishing up the implementation, due to the fact that Ethereum itself is still under heavy testing and development, and its consensus system is still rather centralized. On top of this, the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM), which provides the execution environment for the smart contracts, is not ready for prime-time from both a security and maturity of features standpoint. Before we add the EVM into Counterparty mainnet, we’d like to see much more security testing around it, as putting an insecure and still-rapidly-evolving EVM implementation live into mainnet would have severe consequences to the existing Counterparty ecosystem.

Once Ethereum’s own implementations are more mature, stable and tested (with at least a few formal security audits behind it), we will be able to complete the Counterparty implementation. At that point, porting it over to Counterparty should be very straightforward.”

statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 07:14:51 PM

http://counterpartyfoundation.org/counterparty-community-update-july-30-spells-of-genesis-xcp-price-coindaddy-coinvend-getgems-julia-updates-more/

A word from our Chief Scientist regarding Smart Contracts, as it relates to the Ethereum Launch date

What follows is an official statement from Adam Krellenstein, the lead developer of the counterparty project:

“We’d like to give a quick update where things are at regarding offering the full Ethereum smart contracts functionality on Counterparty mainnet:

Currently we’re in a bit of a holding pattern in finishing up the implementation, due to the fact that Ethereum itself is still under heavy testing and development, and its consensus system is still rather centralized. On top of this, the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM), which provides the execution environment for the smart contracts, is not ready for prime-time from both a security and maturity of features standpoint. Before we add the EVM into Counterparty mainnet, we’d like to see much more security testing around it, as putting an insecure and still-rapidly-evolving EVM implementation live into mainnet would have severe consequences to the existing Counterparty ecosystem.

Once Ethereum’s own implementations are more mature, stable and tested (with at least a few formal security audits behind it), we will be able to complete the Counterparty implementation. At that point, porting it over to Counterparty should be very straightforward.”

Whats the benefit of ETH+XCP?

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2015, 07:20:43 PM

Whats the benefit of ETH+XCP?

None.

Counterparty is recreating the Ethereum virtual machine on Bitcoin so that Eth is not required and you have the security of the Bitcoin network. The benefit of BTC+XCP is that anything you can do on Ethereum, you will be able to do on Bitcoin.

Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 02:32:36 AM

Thought this was posted, but I don't see it: http://shitco.in/2015/08/02/symbiont-updates-xcp-rocket-ignited/

Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 02:33:50 AM

Hello everyone, I'm new here and new to counterparty. If I understood correctly counterparty protocol "lives" inside bitcoin blockchain by storing information inside of it. Previously I heard couple of times the in futire bitcoin blockchain might be pruned because its size is increasing so rapidly. Again, if I understood it correctly pruning will remove uninportant bits of data from blockchain to make it more lightweight and bitcoin more usable for everyone. So the question is, if bitcoin blockchain will be pruned can this make counterparty protocol completely non functional? Sorry if I sound dumb or something, still new to all this. Thanks in advance!

This is not an issue. No worries.

Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 03:19:29 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2015, 04:09:26 PM by Matt Y

Hello everyone, I'm new here and new to counterparty. If I understood correctly counterparty protocol "lives" inside bitcoin blockchain by storing information inside of it. Previously I heard couple of times the in futire bitcoin blockchain might be pruned because its size is increasing so rapidly. Again, if I understood it correctly pruning will remove uninportant bits of data from blockchain to make it more lightweight and bitcoin more usable for everyone. So the question is, if bitcoin blockchain will be pruned can this make counterparty protocol completely non functional? Sorry if I sound dumb or something, still new to all this. Thanks in advance!

This is not an issue. No worries.

this is not quiet an explanation I wanted to receive. why is this not a problem? in fact I asked 3 or 4 people already and all said the same "it's not an issue" bot no one explained why.

Technically, I can't explain it, but if it was an issue, there would be no project. No Symbiont, etc. Bitcoin wouldn't even be as cool as it is. It's just too basic and too huge of a flaw for it to possibly be an issue. My guess is that you're thinking about pruning wrong and that data can't be arbitrarily removed from the blockchain, because then it would not be an immutable ledger, which is where the value of this whole blockchain thing is.

EDIT: I'd also add that Counterparty used to store data in a way that was not prunable because they had no choice. Now they have a choice because OP_RETURN carries 80 bytes (which is a change Counterparty pushed for) to store data instead of 40 bytes. They would not have made that decision if it would possibly kill the project, but if that changes, they could simply go back to storing data in a non prunable way (which is not needed because this is not an issue).

romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 04:34:52 PM

It can be pruned by people who want to prune it. Those who prune do not store the complete blockchain, thereby cannot be seeders of the real full nodes.
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 05:21:11 PM

Total XCP for sale on Poloni has decreased by almost 10% within the last week. It's going to get interesting unless some of you guys want to start dumping. Wink

bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:33:41 PM

Apparently the Symbiont cryptosecurity has been issued but how do you buy it?

http://www.coindesk.com/smart-contracts-platform-symbiont-issues-its-first-cryptosecurity/
Pages: « 1 ... 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 [579] 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: