Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:06:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 [582] 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276299 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
schnuber

Activity: 96
Merit: 18

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 12:12:27 AM

Hi guys
I have read quite a bit of the counterparty documentation, especially the non dev stuff. But I still do not understand what the XCP token is used for as anyone can create their own custom token. Can someone explain?

Sincerely

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 12:29:11 AM

Hi guys
I have read quite a bit of the counterparty documentation, especially the non dev stuff. But I still do not understand what the XCP token is used for as anyone can create their own custom token. Can someone explain?

Sincerely

Its main use case will be as gas to power the computations of smart contracts, like ether on Ethereum.

520Bit

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 02:34:46 PM

Long time not in bitcointalk. How is XCP now? I am in a trip at US now and may have a chance to meet the US XCP fans.
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 12:28:29 AM

So what's up with the Symbiont cryprosecurity issuance?  Can I buy it?  What are they doing next?
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2015, 12:32:37 AM

So what's up with the Symbiont cryprosecurity issuance?  Can I buy it?  What are they doing next?

Unknown, no, unknown.

delulo

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 01:14:35 AM

Hi guys

Sincerely

Its main use case will be as gas to power the computations of smart contracts, like ether on Ethereum.
can you expand on that?
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2015, 02:14:28 AM

Hi guys

Sincerely

can you expand on that?

My understanding is that a smart contract is made up of various computations, the exact makeup of which will depend on the contract. A limited amount of computations in a very simple smart contract may not require XCP to fuel it, but anything over X computations will require gas. XCP is the gas for smart contracts on the Counterparty platform. Additionally, when XCP is used to fuel a smart contract, that XCP will be burnt, reducing the total supply of XCP.

delulo

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 02:21:41 AM

Hi guys

Sincerely

can you expand on that?

My understanding is that a smart contract is made up of various computations, the exact makeup of which will depend on the contract. A limited amount of computations in a very simple smart contract may not require XCP to fuel it, but anything over X computations will require gas. XCP is the gas for smart contracts on the Counterparty platform. Additionally, when XCP is used to fuel a smart contract, that XCP will be burnt, reducing the total supply of XCP.
I still dont know what gas is if it is not some fancy word for tx fee.

This here http://ethereum.gitbooks.io/frontier-guide/content/costs.html sounds a bit like gas is a tx fee that is the higher the more computation your contract takes. But since Counterparty tx are processed by Bitcoin miners I don't understand why they would accept XCP?
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2015, 02:58:20 AM

Hi guys

Sincerely

can you expand on that?

This here http://ethereum.gitbooks.io/frontier-guide/content/costs.html sounds a bit like gas is a tx fee that is the higher the more computation your contract takes. But since Counterparty tx are processed by Bitcoin miners I don't understand why they would accept XCP?

XCP will not be used to process transactions, but will power smart contracts, like you found in Ethereum. Bitcoin miners will not accept XCP, nor will they need to. Transactions will be processed with Bitcoin, like normal. XCP will be used to power smart contracts and will be burnt afterwards -- nobody will accept the XCP or even have the opportunity to. Once XCP is used in this manner it will be beyond anyone's reach.

Your question is good as this is slightly different than Ethereum because Counterparty is a layer on top of Bitcoin. I hope I adequately explained the difference.

jrmg

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 06:15:47 AM

Anyone know what is reason for that so rarely exchanges have took XCP for their list?
I have sent about once a month or two request to many exchanges and answer have been same last one year about like "we will look and are really interested about this coin and will maybe add it later..."
Same time there is like Cryptsy what have taking every cat, moon, weed and car coins for trading. Why not XCP?
eustress

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 10:09:46 AM

Anyone know what is reason for that so rarely exchanges have took XCP for their list?
I have sent about once a month or two request to many exchanges and answer have been same last one year about like "we will look and are really interested about this coin and will maybe add it later..."
Same time there is like Cryptsy what have taking every cat, moon, weed and car coins for trading. Why not XCP?

The simple answer is that the Counterparty software client is different to everything else. Whereas 99% of shitcoins' software are near identical to Bitcoin's. So it is a little bit more tricky to set Counterparty up on an exchange. Though, I find it difficult to understand why Kraken (they best exchange imo) saw fit to add Ethereum which is similarly different and they have not added Counterparty yet.
delulo

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 12:39:58 PM

Hi guys

Sincerely

can you expand on that?

XCP will not be used to process transactions, but will power smart contracts, like you found in Ethereum. Bitcoin miners will not accept XCP, nor will they need to. Transactions will be processed with Bitcoin, like normal. XCP will be used to power smart contracts and will be burnt afterwards -- nobody will accept the XCP or even have the opportunity to. Once XCP is used in this manner it will be beyond anyone's reach.

Your question is good as this is slightly different than Ethereum because Counterparty is a layer on top of Bitcoin. I hope I adequately explained the difference.
You are doing a great job of community work (i actually mean that! love Smiley ). But "power smart contracts " doesn't help me understand how xcp is used. Who needs it to do what? To "power" something is just a fancy way of saying "it's needed to make it work".
deliciousowl

Activity: 432

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 12:49:50 PM

The simple answer is that the Counterparty software client is different to everything else. Whereas 99% of shitcoins' software are near identical to Bitcoin's. So it is a little bit more tricky to set Counterparty up on an exchange. Though, I find it difficult to understand why Kraken (they best exchange imo) saw fit to add Ethereum which is similarly different and they have not added Counterparty yet.

Last I heard it takes them $50k+ to fully security vet a potential currency. (Some Kraken representatives told me this... cannot vouch for the accuracy.) But basically it's a cost intensive and extremely long process. We will have to wait for Counterparty volume to go up, in order to be considered by Kraken.

BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 03:00:29 PM

The volume of XCP is too low to be considered by other exchanges.
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2015, 03:47:17 PM

Hi guys

Sincerely

can you expand on that?

You are doing a great job of community work (i actually mean that! love Smiley ). But "power smart contracts " doesn't help me understand how xcp is used. Who needs it to do what? To "power" something is just a fancy way of saying "it's needed to make it work".

Yeah, XCP will be needed to make smart contracts work. I'm also looking forward to seeing what the main uses of smart contracts are. You should be able to look to Ethereum for your answer here somewhat. On blog posts, forums, and on the platform. I think the potential use cases are quite wide. Here's a pyramid scheme contract that was posted recently, for example: http://pastebin.com/AGDsJL6j

deliciousowl

Activity: 432

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 03:48:53 PM

Someone posted a Powerball lottery that will work on the smart contracts platform  Smiley

freedomfighter

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 10:06:38 PM

Hi Matt- long time.

On the XCP usage and role question:

I own most of the original XCPs and in the past I have been trying to get a clear answer for this same exact question. Way before the ethereum system adaptation, the answers were quite different... is this the only remaining real usage for XCP? wasnt it supposed to be used in every CP related transaction in the same manner you just described with ETH type contracts? what about a future financial transaction in a CP powered (symbiont for example) system? is the vision now that it wont require XCP? what was the answer for this before the ETH adapation?
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 10:53:39 PM

Hi Matt- long time.

I own most of the original XCPs and in the past I have been trying to get a clear answer for this same exact question. Way before the ethereum system adaptation, the answers were quite different... is this the only remaining real usage for XCP? wasnt it supposed to be used in every CP related transaction in the same manner you just described with ETH type contracts? what about a future financial transaction in a CP powered (symbiont for example) system? is the vision now that it wont require XCP? what was the answer for this before the ETH adapation?

Hey Smiley

Caveat - this is not coming from Counterparty, this is my opinion from following the project.

1. This is not the only real remaining usage, although it is the most significant one in my opinion. XCP will also be used to escrow value in some smart contracts I assume. And XCP is used to create nonnumerical asset names and over 1/2 of 1% of all XCP have already been burnt doing this very activity.

2. I'm not sure I understand your second question. There was never a charge of XCP for performing a Counterparty transaction if that's what you mean. Counterparty transactions are simply Bitcoin transactions and the only charge for transacting is paid in bitcoins to Bitcoin miners.

3. Symbiont or any other businesses that are built on Counterparty will use XCP if they plan to use the smart contract functionality. You cannot smart contract unless you XCP -- this seems to be something people have a hard time believing. The only way to get around this, as far as I know, is to fork the project.

4. Before Ethereum was ported over to Counterparty, smart contract type functionality was hard coded into Counterparty (CFDs and the like). Now, with a Turing complete scripting language, those features (CFDs) have been depreciated as smart contracts remove the need for hard coded stuff as people can just write their own stuff with much more flexibility.

freedomfighter

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 04:53:17 AM

Hi Matt- long time.

Hey Smiley

Caveat - this is not coming from Counterparty, this is my opinion from following the project.

1. This is not the only real remaining usage, although it is the most significant one in my opinion. XCP will also be used to escrow value in some smart contracts I assume. And XCP is used to create nonnumerical asset names and over 1/2 of 1% of all XCP have already been burnt doing this very activity.

2. I'm not sure I understand your second question. There was never a charge of XCP for performing a Counterparty transaction if that's what you mean. Counterparty transactions are simply Bitcoin transactions and the only charge for transacting is paid in bitcoins to Bitcoin miners.

3. Symbiont or any other businesses that are built on Counterparty will use XCP if they plan to use the smart contract functionality. You cannot smart contract unless you XCP -- this seems to be something people have a hard time believing. The only way to get around this, as far as I know, is to fork the project.

4. Before Ethereum was ported over to Counterparty, smart contract type functionality was hard coded into Counterparty (CFDs and the like). Now, with a Turing complete scripting language, those features (CFDs) have been depreciated as smart contracts remove the need for hard coded stuff as people can just write their own stuff with much more flexibility.

Thanks for taking the time. I havent been following closely for many months and am just now refreshing my understanding. still have 80% of what I burnt originally. Still remember the impression the original dev team made on me with their very professional and straight approach. but did not follow every CP event since the end of last year.  Take care.
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 06:16:07 AM

Thanks for taking the time. I havent been following closely for many months and am just now refreshing my understanding. still have 80% of what I burnt originally. Still remember the impression the original dev team made on me with their very professional and straight approach. but did not follow every CP event since the end of last year.  Take care.

Happy to help. The project is in much better shape now than when you were here last. When you look at who will have the best platform for smart contracts, on Bitcoin, it's Counterparty, and it's not even close. So the question to ask is "will smart contracts on the Bitcoin blockchain be a thing that gets used or not?" and if you think that yes, they will be a thing that is used, which happens to be my opinion, then simply continue to hold and ignore the noise. The rest is taking care of itself.

Pages: « 1 ... 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 [582] 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: