Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:49:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276302 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Bountyful

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:27:35 AM

We could also do a lottery.  Busoni keeps 50% of lottery pot, winning lottery ticket keeps the other 50%

The possibility of hitting the jackpot could be a good incentive for people to buy lottery tickets (donate).

This feels like a good idea that could make-up all or part of the solution.

If we can get a good assortment of "+ 1s" on this idea maybe we can take this as symbolic of a community mandate . And then to implement maybe the Dev team could nominate a trusted member of the community to run the XCP Powerball Lottery (haha), say, once per week or once every two weeks with advertising all over Reddit and the other boards!

+1

+1

+1
Now someone trustworthy to handle the details

And how will you know the lottery was provably random?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheMightyX

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:30:29 AM

On a related note, Busoni don't you have identification information for the users who took advantage of this situation?
You have email addresses, IP addresses, BTC addresses, etc.

Could you not use this to publicly shame those involved and ask that they do the right thing and return the XCP to their rightful owners?

They are only stealing from the community. This is not a victimless crime like stealing from a bank.

We should not be using community funds to recover those funds which were depleted by malicious actions. This is a inefficient way of operating; like paying off one credit card with another credit card. We would basically be causing damage to the community to repair damage caused to the community.

Give me the emails and ip addresses if you don't want to do it.

This is a very not good idea. I agree those who now knowing what happened and got cheap xcp at the expense of XCP depositors or busoni himself should

be ashamed of themselves if they don't return them. But some of them may not read this thread and just think they got lucky. And some might see it as

hey its not my fault all I did was trade according to the rules and withdrew my balance. These lucky sob's were not the hackers just got lucky. Posting their

info is immoral if not illegal.

These people bought XCP at dirt cheap prices and then immediately withdrew them. Let's stop kidding ourselves, they saw an opportunity and took advantage of the situation. Why else would they withdraw them so suddenly?

Furthermore, how is posting someones email address without a name illegal. The answer is it's not.
You know whats more immoral than posting someones email on some forums?
Keeping stolen goods at the expense of others.

Let's just put this in perspective:
Whether those who bought XCP because of the dump knowingly or unknowingly took advantage of the situation is IRRELEVANT.
The site was hacked, those orders shouldn't have been filled.
The only reason they haven't been rolled back is because they were withdrawn.
This is not a "let them decide if they want to" kind of situation. If you don't send the funds back you are acknowledging that you received funds through illicit means and you accept that you are keeping the ill-gotten gains at the expense of the community. Period. I don't see why that is unclear to some people?

IMAGINATION TIME!

You own a store. Someone robs an old lady and uses that money to buy something from your store. When the police say "hey we've got an item to return that was purchased with stolen money" are you really going to say "no thanks, I think I'll just keep the stolen money!". You wouldn't fucking say that would you? You get your item back and the old lady gets her money back, no one suffers. So why is it any different now?

Poloniex needs to put a notice up on the site saying:
We kindly ask if you are one of these people who's order was filled that you return your XCP and let Poloniex refund your BTC. You are not out any money and you will be helping the community repairs itself.

Busoni why aren't you contacting those who made withdrawals after the hack and asking them to return the XCP instead of soliciting the community for damages? All it would take is one mass email. This should be your first method of repairing the damage. I think there are many members who if they knew what was going on would return the XCP for a refund. The least you could do is try.
grandpa_seth

Activity: 316

Simcoin Puny Humans Communicator

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:31:48 AM

We could also do a lottery.  Busoni keeps 50% of lottery pot, winning lottery ticket keeps the other 50%

The possibility of hitting the jackpot could be a good incentive for people to buy lottery tickets (donate).

If we can get a good assortment of "+ 1s" on this idea maybe we can take this as symbolic of a community mandate . And then to implement maybe the Dev team could nominate a trusted member of the community to run the XCP Powerball Lottery (haha), say, once per week or once every two weeks with advertising all over Reddit and the other boards!

+1

+1

+1

And how will you know the lottery was provably random?

Which is why I said someone trustworthy. I pretty much would only trust one of our devs for this.
halfcab123

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CabTrader v2 | crypto-folio.com

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:33:42 AM

God this is such a mess -____-

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
DaFockBro

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:33:52 AM

anyone could start the lottery right ? someone start it and let us know the conditions

A rough idea of how we could set up a lottery:

- seperate lottery thread

- 1 ticket = 5 XCP or 0.05 BTC

- publicly viewable google doc to record entries

- random number generator to select winner

Example:

- DaFockBro pays 50 XCP for 10 tickets, DaFockBro gets lines 1-10 reserved in the google doc

- halfcab123 pays 0.2 BTC for 4 tickets, halfcab123 gets lines 11-15 reserved in the google doc

- PhantomPhreak or xnova generate random number to select winning number that corresponds to line in google doc

- 50% of BTC/XCP goes to winning ticket holder, 50% of BTC/XCP goes to busoni.
TheMightyX

Activity: 350

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:38:48 AM

I feel like everyone is working on exacerbating the problem.
The community is out a lot of XCP.
What should we do?
Get the community to pay out more XCP!

Why aren't we trying to retrieve the XCP from those who withdrew them before the rollback?
Shouldn't we at least give them a chance to do the right thing before we start throwing more money at the problem? (many of them might not even know what's going on).

Why are we donating to a relief fund before seeing how much of the funds will be returned by the users?
flayway

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:45:47 AM

Hi,

I just handled flayway's donation to the bug bounty fund. I'll be happy to handle donations for other people who don't have counterpartyd running as well.

Confirm. I give away really big amount versus my invested money, but i have still much profit left and after this all i believe i get still much more money when we solve this situation fast and not get more damage for project.. Its not reason to anyone not donate if cant use software if jimhsu offer help to import private key and send you back what you want to other address. Give what you can few coin or more if you have invest more..

XCP:     19zzpgk3oakH2b7zd63mw3DadtNkvefVfo    BTC:     1ASSkiRsqRUUp5Y8YQYnuc41fBbYR3iRD2
gitinahang

Activity: 43
Merit: 30

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:47:13 AM

On a related note, Busoni don't you have identification information for the users who took advantage of this situation?
You have email addresses, IP addresses, BTC addresses, etc.

Could you not use this to publicly shame those involved and ask that they do the right thing and return the XCP to their rightful owners?

They are only stealing from the community. This is not a victimless crime like stealing from a bank.

We should not be using community funds to recover those funds which were depleted by malicious actions. This is a inefficient way of operating; like paying off one credit card with another credit card. We would basically be causing damage to the community to repair damage caused to the community.

Give me the emails and ip addresses if you don't want to do it.

This is a very not good idea. I agree those who now knowing what happened and got cheap xcp at the expense of XCP depositors or busoni himself should

be ashamed of themselves if they don't return them. But some of them may not read this thread and just think they got lucky. And some might see it as

hey its not my fault all I did was trade according to the rules and withdrew my balance. These lucky sob's were not the hackers just got lucky. Posting their

info is immoral if not illegal.

These people bought XCP at dirt cheap prices and then immediately withdrew them. Let's stop kidding ourselves, they saw an opportunity and took advantage of the situation. Why else would they withdraw them so suddenly?

Furthermore, how is posting someones email address without a name illegal. The answer is it's not.
You know whats more immoral than posting someones email on some forums?
Keeping stolen goods at the expense of others.

Let's just put this in perspective:
Whether those who bought XCP because of the dump knowingly or unknowingly took advantage of the situation is IRRELEVANT.
The site was hacked, those orders shouldn't have been filled.
The only reason they haven't been rolled back is because they were withdrawn.
This is not a "let them decide if they want to" kind of situation. If you don't send the funds back you are acknowledging that you received funds through illicit means and you accept that you are keeping the ill-gotten gains at the expense of the community. Period. I don't see why that is unclear to some people?

IMAGINATION TIME!

You own a store. Someone robs an old lady and uses that money to buy something from your store. When the police say "hey we've got an item to return that was purchased with stolen money" are you really going to say "no thanks, I think I'll just keep the stolen money!". You wouldn't fucking say that would you? You get your item back and the old lady gets her money back, no one suffers. So why is it any different now?

Poloniex needs to put a notice up on the site saying:
We kindly ask if you are one of these people who's order was filled that you return your XCP and let Poloniex refund your BTC. You are not out any money and you will be helping the community repairs itself.

Busoni why aren't you contacting those who made withdrawals after the hack and asking them to return the XCP instead of soliciting the community for damages? All it would take is one mass email. This should be your first method of repairing the damage. I think there are many members who if they knew what was going on would return the XCP for a refund. The least you could do is try.

I agree the best would be busoni contacting them privately asking them to give it back. But again these people were not hackers just traders. The

fact that they withdrew immediately does not mean they knew something was wrong. Some of them maybe, but a lot of people myself included like

to withdraw immediately from CENTRALIZED exchanges. BTW I am not one of those who bought at .002. I actually have over 300 xcp stuck

on poloniex but that doesn't mean I think its right to publish private account info on a public forum. Are you 19 years old? I am not meaning that

as a put down. It's either that or you have a lot stuck on poloniex which I feel sorry if you do but you will get it back. i'm thankful I only put tiny

amount on poloniex. I only put what I could afford to lose.
doitnow

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:07:50 AM

+1

+1

+1

Great idea. I'm in
ginko-B

Activity: 82

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:09:22 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 04:28:16 AM by ginko-B

Hi,

I just handled flayway's donation to the bug bounty fund. I'll be happy to handle donations for other people who don't have counterpartyd running as well.

Confirm. I give away really big amount versus my invested money, but i have still much profit left and after this all i believe i get still much more money when we solve this situation fast and not get more damage for project.. Its not reason to anyone not donate if cant use software if jimhsu offer help to import private key and send you back what you want to other address. Give what you can few coin or more if you have invest more..

I hereby nominate flayway for the Counterparty Wall of Fame.

Thank you flayway for giving our community this positive example.

Share a +1 if you agree.
ginko-B

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:15:55 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 04:26:18 AM by ginko-B

Hi,

Hi Jimhsu,

I just sent you my private key. Please send 10% of the balance of my account to the Donation Address.
kdrop22

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:47:33 AM

We create an asset issuance fees (25 XCP), this fee will be sent to a security/development fund account. This fund will be used to compensate the victims of this theft.
In future this fund will be used to offer a security and development bounties.
ginko-B

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:48:35 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 08:18:45 AM by ginko-B

+++Community Proposal to Bring Everyone Whole Again After the February 2014 Poloniex Hack+++

As a community need to collect-up 6,100 XCP + 80 BTC.  While this seems like a daunting mountain to climb, here is a plan for how we can rally together to get it done:

6,100 XCP - Roll-back of all trades that led to withdrawals between 0.002 and 0.009 time-stamped at time of the hack (ill-gotten gains)
+
12 BTC - Dev Commitment (off the top of my head, I seem to recall this is the amount the Devs pledged; can someone please confirm?)
+
10-20 BTC - Community Donations (pledges already committed)
+
10-20 BTC - extra 2.5% trading fees on Poloniex over next 10 days (assumes 50-100 BTC volume per day;  lets get the exchange trading again Busoni!)
+
30-60 BTC - 50% stake of XCP PowerBall Lottery (if the Devs need assistance I will volunteer to ensure this is provably fair + executed quickly; or better than me would be an entrepreneur who the Devs trust who wants to put up a cool webpage and market the lottery all over the internet and run it as a profit-making business, with, say, [1% fee] with cap of, say, [100 XCP] or something like that for every time the lottery runs)

Timeframe:

We should set a goal to have this matter closed-out by, say, [Saturday, March 1st].  And any surplus raised should go to the Bug Bounty Program as a measure of defense in the future.

Why this is High Priority:

Every additional minute that this security breech goes unresolved is wasting the time of our incredibly-talented Devs, people like me with initiatives underway to list real assets are being totally distracted & losing support of key business partners, and the reputation, liquidity, and market-cap of the project is being compromised as people visit BitcoinTalk and see the community in temporary disarray.  Moreover, if we don't resolve this incident, Busoni probably needs to declare bankruptcy as no one will ever use his exchange again if he can't pay back the losses.

Call to Action:

My fellow community members I urge you please, please, please do your part to bring this to resolution!  If you are the hacker, then send back the BTC!  If you are going to donate, then donate!   If you want to run a lottery, then PM the Devs!  Busoni lets get the exchange back up!

Lets all follow flayway's example!  He donated 500 XCP!  Lets be action oriented!  

Lets get this whole thing behind us ASAP!    

I've just donated via Jimhsu, you can do it too!  =)

Donation Address:

14Tf35AovvRVURzd623q5i9kry2EW8WzyL
fudge

Activity: 666
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:50:09 AM

We could also do a lottery.  Busoni keeps 50% of lottery pot, winning lottery ticket keeps the other 50%

nice idea!

Haшa гpyшa нaйpoзкopчyмaкyвaтiшa!
ginko-B

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:09:53 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 05:20:44 AM by ginko-B

We create an asset issuance fees (25 XCP), this fee will be sent to a security/development fund account. This fund will be used to compensate the victims of this theft.
In future this fund will be used to offer a security and development bounties.

Hey KDrop, its a clever proposal, however, one limitation is that it penalizes listers of "small assets" in a punitive way.  For example, some of the kinds of assets people are working on issuing aren't even worth 5 XCP, let alone 25 XCP!  (haha)  =)   Also it could take a very long time to collect the full amount of money, so, while it would be effective, it might be a dis-service to the project to have this issue remain open longer than the month of February.

I definitely agree with you that the asset issuance fee needs to be discussed, particularly in the context of situations where the fixed rate of 5 XCP is a barrier to competitively listing certain kinds of assets.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 05:24:01 AM

+1

+1

+1

this is a really good idea...
fudge

Activity: 666
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:26:07 AM

i'm unable to run counterpartyd

error while starting counterpartyd server
v0.6
bitcoin 0.8.6

File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\lib\util.py", line 280, in versions_ch
eck
lib.exceptions.DatabaseVersionError: Unable to check client, database versions. How’s yo
ur Internet access?

internet access is ok

Haшa гpyшa нaйpoзкopчyмaкyвaтiшa!
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:26:54 AM

Hi,

Hi Jimhsu,

I just sent you my private key. Please send 10% of the balance of my account to the Donation Address.

Processed, thanks for donating!

To others - please don't send keys in PMs. Instead message me for a BM address.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 05:31:36 AM

i'm unable to run counterpartyd

error while starting counterpartyd server
v0.6
bitcoin 0.8.6

File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\lib\util.py", line 280, in versions_ch
eck
lib.exceptions.DatabaseVersionError: Unable to check client, database versions. How’s yo
ur Internet access?

internet access is ok

i got this a couple days ago, i wiped everything and rebuild
mynxtcoin

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:47:40 AM

I updated the client from the git repository

now it says that "market" is invalid

C:\Windows\System32>C:\Python32\python.exe c:\counterpartyd_build\run.py market
usage: counterpartyd [-h] [-V] [-v] [--force] [--testnet] [--testcoin]
                     [--unsigned] [--data-dir DATA_DIR]
                     [--database-file DATABASE_FILE]
                     [--config-file CONFIG_FILE] [--log-file LOG_FILE]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-connect BITCOIND_RPC_CONNECT]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-port BITCOIND_RPC_PORT]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-user BITCOIND_RPC_USER]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-password BITCOIND_RPC_PASSWORD]
                     [--rpc-host RPC_HOST] [--rpc-port RPC_PORT]
                     [--rpc-user RPC_USER] [--rpc-password RPC_PASSWORD]

{server,potentials,send,order,btcpay,issuance,broadcast,bet,dividend,burn,cancel,callback,balances,asset,wallet,pending,reparse,rollback}
counterpartyd: error: argument action: invalid choice: 'market' (choose from 'server', 'potentials', 'send', 'order', 'btcpay', 'issuance', 'broadcast', 'bet', 'dividend', 'burn', 'cancel', 'callback', 'balances', 'asset', 'wallet', 'pending', 'reparse', 'rollback')
Pages: « 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: