Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 05:24:16 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 [526] 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276347 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 01:30:00 PM

usually you apply the discount at the shopping cart stage, the price is then recalculated at checkout, could be done that way but it's a little cumbersome.

One way to implement a token-based discount is that whoever owns/holds a token gets the discount. Another way (that I had in mind) requires you to transfer it back to the store. In this case it is lot more convenient to transfer both BTC and Counterparty token in the same transaction.
theoritally it's fine to replace the antidust amount sent to the recipipient with any amount larger. However, it's not implemented in the current counterpartyd yet. Maybe later we can customize the amount of BTC we sent in xcp transactions, but I am not sure whether this is really useful.
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 02:21:59 PM

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/gems-cryptocurrency-social-network-utilize-telegram-messaging-app-android/

Gems to integrate with Telegram messenger. Cool stuff.  Cool
Equality 7-2521

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

A difference which makes a difference

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 02:59:02 PM

Does anyone have the time or skills required to follow all the burnt BTC at the 1CounterpartyXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUWLpVr address back through the history of the blockchain to see when they were mined?

It would be nice to visualize the timespan over which the POW period of Counterparty occurred. Afterall, you can't have Proof of Burn without Proof of Work (in this case).

PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 03:43:26 PM

usually you apply the discount at the shopping cart stage, the price is then recalculated at checkout, could be done that way but it's a little cumbersome.

One way to implement a token-based discount is that whoever owns/holds a token gets the discount. Another way (that I had in mind) requires you to transfer it back to the store. In this case it is lot more convenient to transfer both BTC and Counterparty token in the same transaction.
theoritally it's fine to replace the antidust amount sent to the recipipient with any amount larger. However, it's not implemented in the current counterpartyd yet. Maybe later we can customize the amount of BTC we sent in xcp transactions, but I am not sure whether this is really useful.

It actually is implemented, both in the CLI and the API, at a per-transaction level:

Code:
--regular-dust-size REGULAR_DUST_SIZE
                        value for dust Pay‐to‐Pubkey‐Hash outputs, in BTC
--multisig-dust-size MULTISIG_DUST_SIZE
                        for dust OP_CHECKMULTISIG outputs, in BTC

It's useful if you're making a *lot* of (similar) transactions, and want to lower your costs as much as possible. The default fee and dust values are very generous, because they have to work well in all circumstances.
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 03:51:19 PM
Last edit: December 18, 2014, 04:03:30 PM by Anotheranonlol

You're right, although not requiring the asset be sent back to the issuer would seem to be a weaker option. Asssuming ownership of the discount token is checked based on the identical address sending BTC (and the store doesn't implement any limits on validity period of the discount coupons), the owner of that address could  keep replaying the discount or proxy offering the discount service to others without the token (sort of like cardsharing in the sattelite world ), right? there would seemingly be less incentive for many people to own the discount token themselves . Agreed that it is more convenient to send both in the same tx.

You could have a scenario where you're dealing with store value coupons rather than simply discounts. Either they permit you to buy a specific product/service at the store or they permit a certain dollar spending credit at the store/service, in that way you may never require btc at checkout time.

Does anyone have the time or skills required to follow all the burnt BTC at the 1CounterpartyXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUWLpVr address back through the history of the blockchain to see when they were mined?

It would be nice to visualize the timespan over which the POW period of Counterparty occurred. Afterall, you can't have Proof of Burn without Proof of Work (in this case).

You mean the time the transactions in the counterparty burn were 'mined;, or the original mining of the coins that were sent to counterparty?

if the former, it was simply defined in the protocol and you can see from any block explorer- first XCP was possible to be mined from block 278310, although the first earned in mainnet was in block 278319 (http://btc.blockr.io/tx/info/685623401c3f5e9d2eaaf0657a50454e56a270ee7630d409e98d3bc257560098), last XCP was possible to burn at block 283810, and people were burning right until the end (indeed after the end too)

if you would like to trace the origin of the coins sent to take part in the PoB you can use a method like one described in the paper below

http://143.225.81.37/www.mobilab.unina.it/tesi/Giuseppe_Galano_A_Visual_Interactive_Realtime_EXplorer_for_Bitcoin.pdf

Equality 7-2521

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

A difference which makes a difference

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 10:17:17 PM

You're right, although not requiring the asset be sent back to the issuer would seem to be a weaker option. Asssuming ownership of the discount token is checked based on the identical address sending BTC (and the store doesn't implement any limits on validity period of the discount coupons), the owner of that address could  keep replaying the discount or proxy offering the discount service to others without the token (sort of like cardsharing in the sattelite world ), right? there would seemingly be less incentive for many people to own the discount token themselves . Agreed that it is more convenient to send both in the same tx.

You could have a scenario where you're dealing with store value coupons rather than simply discounts. Either they permit you to buy a specific product/service at the store or they permit a certain dollar spending credit at the store/service, in that way you may never require btc at checkout time.

You mean the time the transactions in the counterparty burn were 'mined;, or the original mining of the coins that were sent to counterparty?

if the former, it was simply defined in the protocol and you can see from any block explorer- first XCP was possible to be mined from block 278310, although the first earned in mainnet was in block 278319 (http://btc.blockr.io/tx/info/685623401c3f5e9d2eaaf0657a50454e56a270ee7630d409e98d3bc257560098), last XCP was possible to burn at block 283810, and people were burning right until the end (indeed after the end too)

if you would like to trace the origin of the coins sent to take part in the PoB you can use a method like one described in the paper below

http://143.225.81.37/www.mobilab.unina.it/tesi/Giuseppe_Galano_A_Visual_Interactive_Realtime_EXplorer_for_Bitcoin.pdf

Yes, I mean the former. What is the ultimate origin of the Burnt Bitcoins? Thanks for the advice but I have not the time nor the skill to accomplish such a task. Hopefully someone else might be enticed to take it on.

Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 04:34:18 AM

Adam Krellenstein, Co-Founder of Counterparty, talks smart contracts, Ethereum, the SEC and the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxwvDZatBtc#t=23

Cliffs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxwvDZatBtc&feature=youtu.be&t=24m11s

getts

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 05:59:31 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2014, 06:17:21 AM by getts

Surely someone here would be able to tell me if any of the developers for XCP would ever engage in "working for hire" to develop another coin, such as XPY, with the same or similar properties?  I ask this because the founders of XPY have extremely deep pockets and I can't see how or why it would be a conflict since the code is open source.  If not Counterparty developer's coding, it would sure be interesting to know what or whose coding will be utilized.

In full disclosure, I have a ladder of multiple open orders to purchase a sizable amount of XCP at a price below the current market.  This week I invested 200 btc into another coin, XPY, which is claimed to have similar capabilities of Counterparty.   http://www.coindesk.com/gaw-miners-altcoin-launch-sparks-speculative-frenzy/

I would like a candid analysis (from perhaps someone familiar with coding) that could provide the advantages of Counterparty over XPY.  Here is the source code: https://github.com/GAWMiners/paycoin  I am not sure if the "Counterparty" properties have yet been introduced into the code.   I initially got into XPY as a trade, but certainly not committed for the long term until I learn more.

I like Counterparty vs XPY in that there are far fewer coins which should bode well for long term value.  However, beyond this, I need to understand the technical advantages and or disadvantages of one over the other.  

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated and Happy Holidays!
Jpja

Activity: 150
Merit: 29

Happy mother of 5 children

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 07:34:02 AM

It actually is implemented, both in the CLI and the API, at a per-transaction level:

Cool, I believe such transactions will be common in the future.

An example is Alice the Musician. She sells her mp3's for 0.05 BTC each. She realizes that she can reward fans who blog about her, write in forums, etc, by giving them a discount token, ALICECOIN. One Alicecoin is backed by a 0.01 BTC discount.

When buying with discount, the buyer transfers 0.04 BTC + 1 ALICECOIN in one transaction.

A huge advantage for Alice is that there are no direct costs with issuing the coin, but the fans who anyway would buy mp3's see a real value in it. Holders of the coin who do not want to buy her music - even with a discount - will try to sell it on the DEX. If she gives away a reasonable amount of coins the market price should be slightly less than 0.01 BTC.

👉🏼 Relictum Pro – touch the future now!
https://relictum.pro/
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 08:17:43 AM

Surely someone here would be able to tell me if any of the developers for XCP would ever engage in "working for hire" to develop another coin, such as XPY, with the same or similar properties?  I ask this because the founders of XPY have extremely deep pockets and I can't see how or why it would be a conflict since the code is open source.  If not Counterparty developer's coding, it would sure be interesting to know what or whose coding will be utilized.

In full disclosure, I have a ladder of multiple open orders to purchase a sizable amount of XCP at a price below the current market.  This week I invested 200 btc into another coin, XPY, which is claimed to have similar capabilities of Counterparty.   http://www.coindesk.com/gaw-miners-altcoin-launch-sparks-speculative-frenzy/

I would like a candid analysis (from perhaps someone familiar with coding) that could provide the advantages of Counterparty over XPY.  Here is the source code: https://github.com/GAWMiners/paycoin  I am not sure if the "Counterparty" properties have yet been introduced into the code.   I initially got into XPY as a trade, but certainly not committed for the long term until I learn more.

I like Counterparty vs XPY in that there are far fewer coins which should bode well for long term value.  However, beyond this, I need to understand the technical advantages and or disadvantages of one over the other.  

give me 50k and I will write a candid analysis for you.

my btc address is 1GFC6Kc1UiH8m48EPCFpK7j8Cs9hbyyF55

ElTomeko27

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 09:03:35 AM

Heh if You invested 200 btc into XPY...I wish You good luck Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 09:21:40 AM

Code:
--regular-dust-size REGULAR_DUST_SIZE
                        value for dust Pay‐to‐Pubkey‐Hash outputs, in BTC
--multisig-dust-size MULTISIG_DUST_SIZE
                        for dust OP_CHECKMULTISIG outputs, in BTC

It's useful if you're making a *lot* of (similar) transactions, and want to lower your costs as much as possible. The default fee and dust values are very generous, because they have to work well in all circumstances.
Oops, sorry about my mistake. I see now, these parameters are provided for users to lower the fees in the first place, but certainly can be used to increase the amount so that BTC transfer and counterparty transfer can live together in one transaction. Great.
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876

Etherscan.io

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 01:34:52 PM

Cool, I believe such transactions will be common in the future.

An example is Alice the Musician. She sells her mp3's for 0.05 BTC each. She realizes that she can reward fans who blog about her, write in forums, etc, by giving them a discount token, ALICECOIN. One Alicecoin is backed by a 0.01 BTC discount.

When buying with discount, the buyer transfers 0.04 BTC + 1 ALICECOIN in one transaction.

A huge advantage for Alice is that there are no direct costs with issuing the coin, but the fans who anyway would buy mp3's see a real value in it. Holders of the coin who do not want to buy her music - even with a discount - will try to sell it on the DEX. If she gives away a reasonable amount of coins the market price should be slightly less than 0.01 BTC.

I find the proposal very interesting and it definitely adds to the list of another use case for tokens.

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
pankogulo

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

Counterparty General Manager

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 02:50:54 PM

Counterparty Development Update #7: Improved Release Process, New Counterparty WIki & More http://counterparty.io/news/counterparty-development-update-7/

Anotheranonlol

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 03:25:23 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2014, 05:50:39 PM by Anotheranonlol

Counterparty Development Update #7: Improved Release Process, New Counterparty WIki & More http://counterparty.io/news/counterparty-development-update-7/

Nice update. I wouldn't mind taking some time to try and contribute to the new wiki

on that note, has CounterParty got a community or dev chat slick/hipchat etc? I can see old references to a skype group but no idea how to get to it, irc seems pretty dead and they both seem like shitty ways to do group collab

PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 04:14:26 PM

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't mind taking some time to try and contribute to the new wiki

on that note, has CounterParty got a community or dev chat slick/hipchat etc? I can see old references to a skype group but no idea how to get to it, irc seems pretty dead and they both seem like shitty ways to do group collab

People have been using Skype, but I've just created two Gitter rooms for people to use:

https://gitter.im/CounterpartyXCP/General
https://gitter.im/CounterpartyXCP/Technical
Anotheranonlol

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 05:49:57 PM

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't mind taking some time to try and contribute to the new wiki

People have been using Skype, but I've just created two Gitter rooms for people to use:

https://gitter.im/CounterpartyXCP/General
https://gitter.im/CounterpartyXCP/Technical

Thanks!

pankogulo

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

Counterparty General Manager

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 07:02:05 AM

New counterpartyd Release: v9.49.2 (non-mandatory). Release Notes at https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterpartyd/releases

ElTomeko27

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 08:45:32 AM

It's great to see how XCP devs are active.
Anotheranonlol

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 08:57:58 AM
Last edit: December 20, 2014, 09:31:15 AM by Anotheranonlol

Interesting reading below re: Reddit notes

https://twitter.com/ryanxcharles/status/546030260685254656
http://www.reddit.com/r/redditnotes/comments/2pqp2o/post_all_of_your_reddit_notes_questions_here/cn011ei?context=3
http://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/2ptevw/reddit_announces_reddit_notes_gives_very_little/cn00cnr?context=3
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2pt4kl/reddit_announces_reddit_notes_aka_reddit_bitcoin/cmzv4na?context=3

I was curious about what exactly "Counterparty is awesome and is the right tool for a lot of projects, but there are a few reasons that make it less than ideal for reddit.. " entailed (technically speaking, CounterParty seemed to be a decent fit for such a deployment, and is pretty mature as far as these things go) The rationale seemingly boils down to 'purist' ideological biases moreso than specific technical concerns

http://www.reddit.com/r/blog/comments/2owj55/welcome_drew_ryan_mike_daniel_joe_dave_david/cmrzqtu?context=3

Regardless It's exciting to see larger entities recognising the possibility of low friction, open blockchain based asset ownership tech

Pages: « 1 ... 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 [526] 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: