Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:02:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road: anonymous marketplace. Feedback requested :)  (Read 152725 times)
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2011, 08:48:39 PM

[Citation needed] ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

It's a way for governments to collect a sin tax on ethanol for consumption without raising the price of ethanol for other uses. In other words, bullshit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 14, 2011, 09:14:48 PM

[Citation needed] ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

It's a way for governments to collect a sin tax on ethanol for consumption without raising the price of ethanol for other uses. In other words, bullshit.

Yes, I (and everyone in my country) know what Denatured Alcohol is Wink. Actually, i have a bottle at my house right now - I use it to start fire in the stove.

So you mean the excise tax - taxing the use of drugs... I was wondering what was that about.

BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 14, 2011, 09:55:16 PM

Yes, I (and everyone in my country) know what Denatured Alcohol is Wink. Actually, i have a bottle at my house right now - I use it to start fire in the stove.

So you mean the excise tax - taxing the use of drugs... I was wondering what was that about.

Well, the point is that denatured alcohol would not exist if it were not for the desire to tax alcohol consumption. For every other use, plain ethanol is preferable. It's only when you want to create two classes of ethanol "for consumption", "not for consumption", as a way to limit consumption without affecting the non consumptive uses, that denatured alcohol is useful.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2011, 12:59:14 AM

Well, the point is that denatured alcohol would not exist if it were not for the desire to tax alcohol consumption. For every other use, plain ethanol is preferable. It's only when you want to create two classes of ethanol "for consumption", "not for consumption", as a way to limit consumption without affecting the non consumptive uses, that denatured alcohol is useful.
Kind of like how the government puts dye in diesel for home use but not for vehicles. Pretty grimy.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2011, 05:28:06 AM

Scratch lotto is  the obvious choice if you want to mail tickets around.  Then youre limited  to the same state you bought them in as you usually cant claim them out of state. Maybe a lotto syndicate would be better where many people share the purchase of tickets and any prizes get shared between the members. 

Scratch lotto can be claimed out of state... at least in my experience.

I live in Utah (no scratch lotto), last time I drove through Montana I picked up a string of scratch lotto tickets just to keep us occupied on the road...had about four winners... mailed them to the Montana lottery board and they sent my check to Utah, where all forms of gambling are totally forbidden by law.

Of course, this could vary by state - but I would guess that it's the purchase of scratch lotto that's illegal, not the redemption of ones legally purchased.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
JackSparrow

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 07:47:05 AM

The site seems to be down for me, when I am trying to reach it via Tor.

I can get on core.onion and the hidden-wiki, but when I am trying the URL of your hidden-service I am always getting a timeout.

Last time I tried http://tor2web.org/ it worked, now even this doesn't work.
DarkMatter

Activity: 67

Stop trying to steal my account, thanks.

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 08:36:32 AM

The site seems to be down for me, when I am trying to reach it via Tor.

I can get on core.onion and the hidden-wiki, but when I am trying the URL of your hidden-service I am always getting a timeout.

Last time I tried http://tor2web.org/ it worked, now even this doesn't work.

Same here, still offline atm.
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 03:10:14 AM

The site appears up for me when accessed via Tor.
JackSparrow

Activity: 116

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 11:02:27 AM

Sometimes it seems to be available via tor2web, but using "tor-browser_en-US" from torprojekt.org I still get a timeout. Yesterday a friend of mine, living in a different state of Germany using the same package (only 4 windows, instead of linux)got on the site.

Is that a tor-related problem?
DarkMatter

Activity: 67

Stop trying to steal my account, thanks.

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 11:44:49 AM

I suppose so.
Still timing out here.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 02:18:48 PM

I suppose so.
Still timing out here.

Unconfirmed.

I tried 4 times on different weekdays, and it always works for me.
Stop using tor2web, install a proper tor like everyone else.

FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 02:20:59 PM

I suppose so.
Still timing out here.

Unconfirmed.

He said it works via tor2web, and not via the browser bundle... but thanks for giving advice without carefully reading the situation.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
carp

Activity: 82

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 11:23:14 PM

I suppose so.
Still timing out here.

Unconfirmed.

He said it works via tor2web, and not via the browser bundle... but thanks for giving advice without carefully reading the situation.

I saw this and it bothered me. I found I had the same problem, perplexing. Now I have a solution. Check your logs (see vidalia "advanced" tab). Look for time errors. Looks like tor doesn't handle DST changes well.

I restarted tor, and now I can connect to this, and some other sites that I was having issues with. Oh, before you restart, check your system time!
silkroad (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 17

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2011, 11:52:34 PM

I plan to make a purchase here.

What is the average delivery time?

That depends on who you buy from, where they are located, and where you are located.  Vendors are required to ship within 72 hours and many will ship the same or next day.  If you live in the same country as the seller, turnaround can be as short as a 3-4 days.

I suppose so.
Still timing out here.

Unconfirmed.

I saw this and it bothered me. I found I had the same problem, perplexing. Now I have a solution. Check your logs (see vidalia "advanced" tab). Look for time errors. Looks like tor doesn't handle DST changes well.

I restarted tor, and now I can connect to this, and some other sites that I was having issues with. Oh, before you restart, check your system time!

Is anyone still having connection issues?  Traffic to the site died off by about 30% a couple of days ago, couldn't figure out why.  Did daylight savings time mess up tor?
psydelicious

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 12:01:15 AM

Is anyone still having connection issues?  Traffic to the site died off by about 30% a couple of days ago, couldn't figure out why.  Did daylight savings time mess up tor?

I am, actually. It's worked fine for me up until now, but I've not been able to connect all night. I either get a TTL expired error or a blank page in firefox, and my tor log is full of "[notice] Tried for 120 seconds to get a connection to [scrubbed]:80. Giving up. (waiting for circuit)"

I just tried successfully to connect to some other tor hidden sites like the hidden wiki. Hopefully it's just a temporary problem.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 12:07:32 AM

It's also not working for me. Probably just temporary Tor problems.

Code:
Mar 16 19:07:17.203 [notice] Tried for 120 seconds to get a connection to [scrub
bed]:80. Giving up. (waiting for circuit)

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
FTL_Ian

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2011, 01:18:33 AM

Thanks for this awesome idea, silkroad.  I am so impressed, I promoted it on my national radio program tonight.  Hope you don't mind the publicity.

I was able to access the site last night, but now am getting: 504 Connect to ianxz6zefk72ulzz.onion:80 failed: SOCKS error: host unreachable

I am using the Tor Browser as your site suggests.

Looking forward to hearing more positive experiences from users.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 01:27:42 AM

It's also not working for me. Probably just temporary Tor problems.

Code:
Mar 16 19:07:17.203 [notice] Tried for 120 seconds to get a connection to [scrub
bed]:80. Giving up. (waiting for circuit)

My TOR node usually needs about 5-10 minutes to properly "heat up" and get connected to other nodes and it that time no page works for me.
After that, it runs normally.

Maybe you all should start the note and let it work for some time, and try it later.

FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2011, 01:42:58 AM

Thanks for this awesome idea, silkroad.  I am so impressed, I promoted it on my national radio program tonight.  Hope you don't mind the publicity.

I was able to access the site last night, but now am getting: 504 Connect to ianxz6zefk72ulzz.onion:80 failed: SOCKS error: host unreachable

I am using the Tor Browser as your site suggests.

Looking forward to hearing more positive experiences from users.

I get that sometimes but I usually just refresh and it's okay. Of course, I only visit out of curiosity and ever buy anything, okay, DEA?

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 02:10:31 AM

My TOR node usually needs about 5-10 minutes to properly "heat up" and get connected to other nodes and it that time no page works for me.
After that, it runs normally.

Maybe you all should start the note and let it work for some time, and try it later.

I run mine 24/7. It's a bridge node.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: