Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:28:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCMiner - Open Source Bitcoin Miner for ZTEX FPGA Boards, 215 MH/s on LX150  (Read 161490 times)
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 03:25:07 PM

Please explain you first why my PS is currently working with original switch.

I don't understand you logic. You are writing (again) that ZTEX FPGA Boards have support your power supply because your router supports it.

The power supply is supported by your router because your router has a different input voltage range.

Buddy, you told me that any supermarket power supply will fit, and you were wrong. My switch (not a router) has a similar input range, from 6 to 16 VDC, if I remember correctly. (I can publish a photo too, you seem to like photos).

Did he not say 'a 12v supermarket PSU would fit'?  I mean, you seem to know atleast a little bit about electronics. What made you think a PSU designed for a product rated for 6 to 16v would be appropriate for a product rated for 12v? :/

On the back fo that 3COM PSu what does it list for the output range on volt and amps?

3COM switch is rated from 6 to 16 vdc (if I remember correctly, I don´t have it here but I can check later).
But the PS is rated 12 VDC 1000 ma, and the further measures confirm that (11.3 with load and 13.5 idle)

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ztex (OP)
Donator

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 04:37:18 PM

But the PS is rated 12 VDC 1000 ma, and the further measures confirm that (11.3 with load and 13.5 idle)

It it the peak voltage or the men voltage?

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 04:42:09 PM

It it the peak voltage or the men voltage?

12 VDC is the nominal voltage the power supply is rated, and showed in the front of it.
11.3 and 13.5 are measured with a digital multimeter, so I suppose they are median voltages.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 04:46:03 PM

3COM switch is rated from 6 to 16 vdc (if I remember correctly, I don´t have it here but I can check later).

Can you snap a pic of the label.  I am curious.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 04:50:14 PM

Can you snap a pic of the label.  I am curious.

I am as well, the only other thing I can think of would be the polarity. But for a standard 3Com product to have something other than the standard center pin being 'hot' would be very odd.

I'm stuck on this one. That 3a regulator should handle by it's specs, 4-14.5v input. I did not look at its DS to verify the 16v peak but even without it, it seems that PSU should not have popped it without a bad polarity or short some place.  Edit; Is the head changeable on that PSU?

How much would you charge, Ztex, to replace just that regulator?

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 04:53:41 PM

Can you snap a pic of the label.  I am curious.

Sure, I will take pictures of PS and switch running, tomorrow when I go to the office.

Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 04:58:29 PM

Sorry but how can his product be such a failure as you state ? Mine is running 24h a day since about 2 weeks. I never had one issue with the hardware or software. First i used a bad thermal pad and the device clocked itself down for protection.

One failure can happen but two ? Talking trash won't help anyone.

Would be nice to hear what other board owners have to say. If someone is scaming, he needs to be taken down but as far as i see this that's not the case here. What happened to your boards was a bit more than just bad luck.

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 05:03:18 PM

Sorry but how can his product be such a failure as you state ? Mine is running 24h a day since about 2 weeks. I never had one issue with the hardware or software. First i used a bad thermal pad and the device clocked itself down for protection.

One failure can happen but two ? Talking trash won't help anyone.

Would be nice to hear what other board owners have to say. If someone is scaming, he needs to be taken down but as far as i see this that's not the case here. What happened to your boards was a bit more than just bad luck.

I expect a solution, and vendor was only blaming on me from day one that I told him boards were not working.
Btw, what kind of PS are you using ?

ztex (OP)
Donator

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 05:03:41 PM

If on overvoltage occures the input voltage breaks through, i.e. the chance that FPGA and µC survived is almost zero.

I tested this on an Experimental Board 1.3 (same circuit) about a half year ago.

1.2 V regulators cannot be repalced by hand if lead free solder has to be used because bottom side pads have to be soldered.

ztex (OP)
Donator

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 05:07:43 PM

Can you snap a pic of the label.  I am curious.

If the label says 6V to 16V this does not need to mean that it does not survive 19V. Furthermore the router does not run in idle mode as the FPGA boards if they are unconfigured.

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 05:12:04 PM

If on overvoltage occures the input voltage breaks through, i.e. the chance that FPGA and µC survived is almost zero.

I tested this on an Experimental Board 1.3 (same circuit) about a half year ago.

1.2 V regulators cannot be repalced by hand if lead free solder has to be used because bottom side pads have to be soldered.

From this statement, I may assume that the overvoltage protection of your boards, are the boards themselves.

Is this a good circuit design ?

Can you really advise to use "supermarket power supplies" if you know that the slight overvoltage will damage the whole boards without chance to repair them ?

ztex (OP)
Donator

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 05:52:36 PM

From this statement, I may assume that the overvoltage protection of your boards, are the boards themselves.

The board cannot be considered as over voltage protected, as most consumer electronics. If you don't believe it, try out your switch with 24V. After that you can return it to Crisco and write them that the developed a bad design.

Can you really advise to use "supermarket power supplies" if you know that the slight overvoltage will damage the whole boards without chance to repair them ?

Due to that the recommended range is narrower the the absolute maximum range. If you run your board within the recommended range you have a margin of 2V.

ursa

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 06:15:20 PM

Ztex,
You should put this warning on packing:

Turbor
Legendary

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 06:26:02 PM

Btw, what kind of PS are you using ?

This... should be good enough for future boards  Wink

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 06:44:16 PM

The board cannot be considered as over voltage protected, as most consumer electronics. If you don't believe it, try out your switch with 24V. After that you can return it to Crisco and write them that the developed a bad design.

Due to that the recommended range is narrower the the absolute maximum range. If you run your board within the recommended range you have a margin of 2V.

Cisco have decades of superb design and customer service.
Your company sells boards with a crap design, that leads for having no protection at all.
Customers beware.

Turbor
Legendary

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 08:03:47 PM

Idk. You burn two boards and then you blame the board design. Sad that you choose to attack ztex instead of trying to find a fair solution for both with him. You played your cards bad imo. What do you expect him to do now ? Give you a full refund ? If i want something like that i would "blow sugar in his a$$" (being as polite as possible) to handle something out. I fear it's too late now. Sorry for your loss because the boards work very well with intact regulators...

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 08:28:40 PM

Idk. You burn two boards and then you blame the board design. Sad that you choose to attack ztex instead of trying to find a fair solution for both with him. You played your cards bad imo. What do you expect him to do now ? Give you a full refund ? If i want something like that i would "blow sugar in his a$$" (being as polite as possible) to handle something out. I fear it's too late now. Sorry for your loss because the boards work very well with intact regulators...

I politely asked ztex for a solution, and he blamed me from day one.
btw, are you a ztex reseller or only a freebie bigmouth ?

ztex (OP)
Donator

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 08:46:32 PM

Cisco have decades of superb design and customer service.
Your company sells boards with a crap design, that leads for having no protection at all.
Customers beware.

I really don't understand you logic: Cisco build superb designs, even if they are not be overvoltage protected. I develop crap designs, because they are not really over voltage protected.

A (almost) save overvoltage protection would be an voltage monitor and a transistor which swithes the power supply off if the voltage is not in range.
Another way is to use a voltage monitor and a power supply with power good signal, but I dont think that your power supply has a power good signal.

Both solutions costs money and I'm assuming that most customers prefer to met the specifications instead to pay a higher price.

ztex (OP)
Donator

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 08:49:09 PM

Is it possible that Gustie tries to get this thread locked?

Turbor
Legendary

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 08:50:38 PM

Freebie bigmouth. Have a nice life gusti ha ha ha

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: