Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:53:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: X6500 Custom FPGA Miner  (Read 219792 times)
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 10:28:41 PM

can you post any data on that chip it uses?  I think it says Spartan 6.  What kinda of hardware specs is it?  What company manufactured the chip?  Is it a GPU or CPU type architecture?  I found a little bit of data on it but nothing specific enough.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 07:32:37 AM

Search the internet and you will find everything. It's a FPGA made by Xilinx from Spartan6 family.

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
Cablesaurus

Activity: 302

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 08:35:44 AM

PSU 24-Pin ATX Power-On Dummy Plug

Here's a PSU Dummy Plug we have in stock which will allow powering on of standard ATX power supply's for those running from supplementary PSU's.

We'll have molex splitters, USB cables, and such available.

PCIe Extender Cables; Dummy Plugs, Fans; PSU Cables; Cases & More
Visit www.Cablesaurus.com and our forum thread at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6128.0
fizzisist (OP)

Activity: 720
Merit: 525

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 03:09:55 PM

oh btw are there plans for cases yet? I've got myself a brand new 3D Printer and am willing to participate  Smiley
This could be really cool. Can we get a (virtual) show of hands of how many people would be interested in an enclosure? How about this, ElectricMucus, I'll get you the exact board dimensions with mounting hole locations, etc., and you can mock up a design. I have some half-baked ideas about how this could look, but it would be cool to see what you can come up with.

SATA > molex adapters are sure to be difficult to find as well.
I've seen them before, but not often. This is another good accessory for Cablesaurus to stock. The plan is for him to sell all sorts of accessories for these boards so that you don't have to go looking for stuff elsewhere (and pay separate shipping from Digikey or such).

newMeat1

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:13:09 PM

I just want to announce to everybody that I'm leaving this FPGA project. This is due to disagreements over project direction and pace.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 03:20:15 PM

oh btw are there plans for cases yet? I've got myself a brand new 3D Printer and am willing to participate  Smiley
This could be really cool. Can we get a (virtual) show of hands of how many people would be interested in an enclosure? How about this, ElectricMucus, I'll get you the exact board dimensions with mounting hole locations, etc., and you can mock up a design. I have some half-baked ideas about how this could look, but it would be cool to see what you can come up with.

Cool, that was exactly what I've had in mind. I think the best option is a 2 part case where the board is screwed onto the bottom and the bottom mounted to the top of the enclosure. (Either by screws or snap fit)

If the board is passive it could be designed so that the heatsinks stand out and slits on the side of the case to ensure air convection.
PM me with the stats and I will get right on it Smiley
thirdlight

Activity: 445

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 06:30:22 PM

I just want to announce to everybody that I'm leaving this FPGA project. This is due to disagreements over project direction and pace.
Can you elaborate? Is there something we should know?

newMeat1

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:07:14 PM

Well, with a little luck and lots of hard work from the remaining team members, you will still probably get your boards in early November. I was pushing them too hard to cut costs and make progress... and they didn't like that very much

gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:14:08 PM

Well, with a little luck and lots of hard work from the remaining team members, you will still probably get your boards in early November. I was pushing them too hard to cut costs and make progress... and they didn't like that very much

So you are abbandoning the ship ... what about the people that already paid and are waiting for the cards ?
Not very professional attitude, I think.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Desolator

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:22:41 PM

Sounds like my work.  I start with a patience level of about 0 cuz I owned my own company with zero employees for 8 years so everything got done instantly (by me).  If people drag their asses on stuff and get all scared and hesitate and second guess, I'd bail too.  That and if they didn't want to cut costs.

Btw here's 2 question I haven't seen come up yet:

Is it properly recognized as a device in XP 32-bit through Windows 7 64 bit? (and what kind of device?)

and does the current mining client currently recognize it as a device?  In other words, you can actually mine with it.

If the answer is no to either, congrats, you're getting 0 more preorders Tongue if the answer is yes to both, I probably just helped u Cheesy
newMeat1

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:48:36 PM

So you are abbandoning the ship ... what about the people that already paid and are waiting for the cards ?

Me being around wouldn't have changed things from here on out. I just help with design and PR-- now we (or they) are in the assembly stage.

fizzisist (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 11:10:30 PM

Me being around wouldn't have changed things from here on out. I just help with design and PR-- now we (or they) are in the assembly stage.

As he said, nothing will change with this project except for newMeat's involvement with it. The group has just been reduced to me, li_gangyi, and fpgaminer. The promises about price, specs, and ETA still stand.

Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 11:53:47 PM

No other company offers complete transparency like these guys.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Desolator

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:10:54 AM

But Apple stores are literally transparent Cheesy hehehehehehe
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 12:57:23 PM

As he said, nothing will change with this project except for newMeat's involvement with it. The group has just been reduced to me, li_gangyi, and fpgaminer. The promises about price, specs, and ETA still stand.

I hope the 10% early-mover lifetime advantage remains Wink

BTW: my x5000 is sweetly mining along.

EDIT: it's sad to see newMeat1 leave the project. I hope the feelings involved are not too hard. Maybe it's best for the project in the end.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
fizzisist (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 04:45:35 PM

I hope the 10% early-mover lifetime advantage remains Wink

BTW: my x5000 is sweetly mining along.

EDIT: it's sad to see newMeat1 leave the project. I hope the feelings involved are not too hard. Maybe it's best for the project in the end.
Don't worry, molecular! Your discount still stands. The break-up was mutual, and we think everyone will be happier now. Smiley

Thanks for that, Pipesnake, I hope our transparency is appreciated!

fizzisist (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 10:12:28 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2011, 11:32:43 AM by fizzisist

Here's a drawing showing the board dimensions and the locations of the mounting holes and connectors.

I should have wrote it on the drawing, but the total height of the board including heatsinks will be about 22 mm.

I have the feeling that if these are in an enclosure, you'll definitely need some airflow. The air should be blowing across the fins of the heatsinks, so left to right or right to left in the drawing.

I'm interested to see what you come up with!

By the way, I'm posting this publicly so that everyone can begin planning how they will mount/enclose these, whether or not they decide to go with an official ElectricMucus enclosure. Smiley

Karmicads

Activity: 185
Merit: 112

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 01:17:01 PM

I am also sorry to hear you are leaving the project newMeat1. FWIW I commend you on your PR skills and having the patience to deal with all of our little apprehensions. I for one, consider it a pleasure doing business with you and wish you the best of success in your future endeavors. I can't help feeling that an amicable resolution might have been possible, as the time-line and cost/complexity of the project have not, so far, caused any unrest among the customers. But the details of the dispute are none of my business.

I know we have to have a little patience for an emergent technology and that our wonderful little toys will arrive in due course. It's not like waiting in line at McFGPA fast miner outlet, for your order to be processed. But I get to be one of the first handful of people to enjoy the benefits of a new technology, which IMHO will revolutionize bitcoin mining forever.

Some things are worth waiting for. I honestly suspect this project will lead to the future of bitcoin, entering into the ASIC market and ensure the future viability of bitcoin as a stable currency. I prefer to take a long term view of things, as I suspect many others who are investigating FPGA technology do also.

I'm just pleased to hear things are moving along at the present rate and that the whole project is looking like becoming a success. It's a big thumbs up from me, to you guys (including you newMeat1), for your persistence, in putting the future of bitcoin mining (and the bitcoin economy) on a new footing.  Wink
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 04:43:41 AM

So I've begun designing the cases.

The plan is to make them fit in a 5 3/4 inch drive bay. A few questions have popped up...
At first I cannot construct a 3 1/2 inch case since the connectors would be sideways.

Second the obvious thing would be to make them suitable for 2 boards. This however brings up some questions:
With only one board the xilinx jtag connector could be accessible from the front panel but with 2 boards there would some wiring needed to bring out the second connector.

The other option would be to make the cases only suitable for one board which would make them cheaper but there would be (also with 2 boards on the back one) some fiddling required connecting the board. Basically people would need to let the cables stand out of the drivebay connect the board and then put in the enclosure and mount it inside the pc.
Not really an issue but I thought I'd mention it.

Can I get some feedback from the people who have ordered the board what their preference would be?
If there is enough demand I can also offer several different versions since I use parametric modelling and 3d printing Smiley
li_gangyi

Activity: 157

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 04:52:04 PM

Electric: why would you need the jtag connector? The board has jtag for debug purposes only, everything should be handled via USB during real world usage.

Not too sure if you can mount 2 boards in a bay without needing a high CFM fan to push air to cool the FPGAs. Maybe it'd be possible if we can find some custom or weird heatsink that has 2 flat sides and then mount the top board upside down onto the same heatsink, and then put 2 fans to blow air across, if you get what I'm thinking.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: