Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:31:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 [483] 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 ... 684 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Vertcoin - First Scrypt N | First Stealth Address - Privacy without mixer  (Read 1232482 times)
bengtåke

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

confused developer

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:11:42 PM

I love how the  mig guy just kind of pretends that he hasn't read our plan for WHEN an asic is made for our coin. He sounds as if we are running a show assuming noone will make asics for it...we are running a show knowing ofcourse someone will make asics for it, and when that happens we will initiate operation hardfork Wink

No doubts, but my question I posed before is how do you tell exactly when an ASIC does start to mine VTC?
I may be dense, but the only way I know of is by increased hashrate.
Yet, that can be caused by additional GPU's being converted over to VTC (as im starting to do with the resto of my 12MH).
It can also be that the ASCI is small enough to not make a noticable bump in the global hashrate due to small/limited production runs or distribution.

What's the trick for knowing when an ASIC starts to mine VTC? How do you actually tell?

Thought I answered this indirectly before, I'll try to be more clear..

You can't tell unless it has a significant impact on the network hashrate, even then it would just be conjecture until an ASIC is publicly available. I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of Vertcoin, we're not a hardline anti-ASIC cult, we're very pragmatic. Vertcoin is about preventing the complete domination by ASICs pushing everyone else out making the network more centralised to huge ASIC farms. There's no way we can just look at the blockchain and know for sure that some factory in China isn't secretly mining VTC on a small scale right now, using their own ASIC design.

Of course if we were to find out that one exists for real, that would be a cause for hard-forking since it is mostly likely a test-run before larger-scale production. But we can't hard-fork every time there is an ASIC rumour..

BTC: 1HoDKDn6Gk7mggAhbRVA1T9UAU8kFAA6sy
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:23:59 PM

Meanwhile while all this silent dev crap talk here i am testing electrum vert btw:

Will be out tomorrow...or so...maybe...

mmouse

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:56:04 PM

Meanwhile while all this silent dev crap talk here i am testing electrum vert btw:

Very, very cool stuff.  Grin

Let me know if you need somebody for beta-testing and/or running an electrum server.

othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:05:11 AM

Well release the Beta tomorrow i guess, but yeah for sure we need electrum servers then Smiley

jacob019

Activity: 252

Cryptomancer

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:26:42 AM

MingoPool is a scam!

Search the 365coin thread for "mingopool", TONS of complaints.   He stole 0.38 365 from me.  On the day I discovered it that amount was worth USD$352 !  Other complaints of him using miners credentials on other pools and changing the payout address.  Stupid to reuse credentials, but still NOT COOL! It's amazing the pool ops can screw over the community and continue operating under the same name.

From his site: "We recompiled the cpu and gpu miners with a few fixes for our stratum. They will improve your hashrate 5% ~ 30% depending your hardware."  How much do want to bet that if you run his binary next to your wallet that your coins will mysteriously go missing. 

Favorite coin: Kimocoin (KMC) - in-thread auctions for real world merchandise
website - faucet - explorer - dice
bengx

Activity: 202

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:21:08 AM

Well release the Beta tomorrow i guess, but yeah for sure we need electrum servers then Smiley

Do you need volunteers to set up electrum servers?
xgtele

Activity: 288

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:45:24 AM

When you are ready with the client side, please post on github and/or here instructions how to setup the server
usao
Legendary

Activity: 1109
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:49:13 AM

I love how the  mig guy just kind of pretends that he hasn't read our plan for WHEN an asic is made for our coin. He sounds as if we are running a show assuming noone will make asics for it...we are running a show knowing ofcourse someone will make asics for it, and when that happens we will initiate operation hardfork Wink

No doubts, but my question I posed before is how do you tell exactly when an ASIC does start to mine VTC?
I may be dense, but the only way I know of is by increased hashrate.
Yet, that can be caused by additional GPU's being converted over to VTC (as im starting to do with the resto of my 12MH).
It can also be that the ASCI is small enough to not make a noticable bump in the global hashrate due to small/limited production runs or distribution.

What's the trick for knowing when an ASIC starts to mine VTC? How do you actually tell?

Thought I answered this indirectly before, I'll try to be more clear..

You can't tell unless it has a significant impact on the network hashrate, even then it would just be conjecture until an ASIC is publicly available. I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of Vertcoin, we're not a hardline anti-ASIC cult, we're very pragmatic. Vertcoin is about preventing the complete domination by ASICs pushing everyone else out making the network more centralised to huge ASIC farms. There's no way we can just look at the blockchain and know for sure that some factory in China isn't secretly mining VTC on a small scale right now, using their own ASIC design.

Of course if we were to find out that one exists for real, that would be a cause for hard-forking since it is mostly likely a test-run before larger-scale production. But we can't hard-fork every time there is an ASIC rumour..
Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. I guess I was reading too much into the hard-line stance, which just didn't seem reasonable to me.
Your explanation is much more in line with what I was expecting. Thanks
OPTiK

Activity: 122

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:08:28 AM

Will be out tomorrow...or so...maybe...

How does this differ from Vertigo?
ivanlabrie

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:23:00 AM

Looks much more polished and I guess that it doesn't imply you trusting a 3rd party with your coins.
dasmith08

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:21:02 AM

Saw something curious on Simplevert this evening, figured I'd see if the collective knowledge of the community could shed some light for a hapless newbie.

There is an address on there that is clocking in at ~300 MHash/sec between four different miners (150, 50, 50, and 50 MHash/sec each). I have a rig with 4X 280X and I'm running at ~1.4 MHash/sec. This would imply that the smaller three mining rigs would be in the neighborhood of 160 GPU's (give or take depending on model). Given the four miners together, we're looking at nearly 1000 GPUs, which kind of defies belief.

I know there is talk that some Scrypt ASICs are able to run the current N-Factor for Vertcoin, could this be an ASIC churning out these numbers? I mean, I know there are GPU farms out there, but this would be absurd.

Is it already time to do the Anti-ASIC hardfork that the devs have promised?
bengx

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:29:43 AM

Saw something curious on Simplevert this evening, figured I'd see if the collective knowledge of the community could shed some light for a hapless newbie.

There is an address on there that is clocking in at ~300 MHash/sec between four different miners (150, 50, 50, and 50 MHash/sec each). I have a rig with 4X 280X and I'm running at ~1.4 MHash/sec. This would imply that the smaller three mining rigs would be in the neighborhood of 160 GPU's (give or take depending on model). Given the four miners together, we're looking at nearly 1000 GPUs, which kind of defies belief.

I know there is talk that some Scrypt ASICs are able to run the current N-Factor for Vertcoin, could this be an ASIC churning out these numbers? I mean, I know there are GPU farms out there, but this would be absurd.

Is it already time to do the Anti-ASIC hardfork that the devs have promised?

It could very well be another pool proxying onto SV.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 07:33:53 AM

Do you need volunteers to set up electrum servers?

We've got two quite robust servers already, but we're always happy to have more. If you're interested hop in to the #electrum-vert channel on Freenode and we'll walk you through it.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 07:34:53 AM

When you are ready with the client side, please post on github and/or here instructions how to setup the server

We're still tweaking and testing - there are a few upstream changes we haven't merged yet. We will have binaries ready to go for the beta test, and we'll let you know the github repo along with that.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 07:36:42 AM

Looks much more polished and I guess that it doesn't imply you trusting a 3rd party with your coins.

The biggest advantage to Electrum is that you have a 12 word deterministic key. Every address, including the change addresses, is generated from that key. With anything forked from Multibit you run the risk of losing control of addresses (as has happened before) because it isn't deterministic. Also, wouldn't you prefer writing down or memorising 12 words than having to save a private key somewhere where it may get lost? Smiley

Qxw

Activity: 203

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 07:40:46 AM

Do any other have problem with:

vert.bitcrush.info - VTC Mining Pool

I can not get any confirmation email for cash out or for change account settings.
(do not ask to check spam filter / trash can. They are not there.)

I have tried to contact pool admin using contact form in the pool and also via normal email (admin@....  ). No answer.

After registering account get normally confirmation email and also first time I change account settings (add VTC address this email confirmation works just ok.  This time I forget set auto cash out. Then I have tried change settings and also for manual cash out. Can not because no confirmation email for this.

Of course I have immediately stopped mining there and changed my rigs to other pool (until this problem is solved).

If some other have been troubles inside some last days how you have solved confirmation email problems?

This do not look very good:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

admin@bitcrush.info

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain bitcrush.info by mail.bitcrush.info. [162.243.211.228].

The error that the other server returned was:
451 Temporary local problem - please try later

Can not cash out, can not change account details.
Really nice?

Still continue.

Can not contact to pool admin.
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

admin@bitcrush.info

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain bitcrush.info by mail.bitcrush.info. [162.243.211.228].

The error that the other server returned was:
451 Temporary local problem - please try later

Confirmation emails for cash out - not work.
Confirmation email for change account details (example auto payout) do not work.

Do any one know if there is any other possibility to contact this pool admin(s) for solve this problem.

I want cash out my coins but can not due to this problem what continues day after day.

This looks more and more like scam. Least really really bad service.

What to do?

If I can, I change my some other email box if it works better BUT can not because can not change account details.

Is it possible that some miner in this pool who can contact pool admin send message to him that his mailbox do not work in all cases. Perhaps he have not get any my messages?  So he perhaps do not know about this problem. (If he have not read this forum)

BTC, BCH, BTG, UTC
nov

Activity: 433
Merit: 251

Independent crypto developer

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 08:00:32 AM

Vertigo will use HD wallet private key 12 word deterministic key in the future. But will still allow and offer to use also classic wallet for user convenience and based on user preference. Vertigo is not forked from Multibit. It is own new solution. The Vertigo wallet development is based on Dogecoin lightweight wallet WowDoge and many users are happy with it, no report of any issue. Vertigo wallet uses and downloads its own SPV blockchain into PC/MAC/Linux station and that it is why user is not dependent on any third party central shared blockchain server.

The biggest advantage to Electrum is that you have a 12 word deterministic key. Every address, including the change addresses, is generated from that key. With anything forked from Multibit you run the risk of losing control of addresses (as has happened before) because it isn't deterministic. Also, wouldn't you prefer writing down or memorising 12 words than having to save a private key somewhere where it may get lost? Smiley

WowDoge - DogeCoin Lightweight Wallet DOGE: DLoawzLvw5WvvpGUkSTxrwMgKhkamsqFo7
Vertigo - VertCoin Lightweight Wallet VTC: VertGv5nVwYYR7mTmDDeAP9et1NJyAsC9P | Exelite - ExeCoin Lightweight Wallet EXE: ELiteWbMDwX95YZj5Jf5BkHS54qbH7wpXg | Lightweight Wallet Creation Service
MultiCoin - Multiple Crypto Coin Lightweight Wallet in Development BTC: 1EKT9uaaDbTRuwjttFQbfax7KmGNZX32HP | BitcoinViewer - Bitcoin Balances & Transactions on iPhone/iPad BTC: 1NEvfbiA5Bs2sG2jqRdCidGUjLD5JjAjEZ
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 08:40:45 AM

Vertigo will use HD wallet private key 12 word deterministic key in the future. But will still allow and offer to use also classic wallet for user convenience and based on user preference. Vertigo is not forked from Multibit. It is own new solution. The Vertigo wallet development is based on Dogecoin lightweight wallet WowDoge and many users are happy with it, no report of any issue. Vertigo wallet uses and downloads its own SPV blockchain into PC/MAC/Linux station and that it is why user is not dependent on any third party central shared blockchain server.

I, too, look forward to that glorious day in the future when Darkcoin will have ring signatures, Multibit will have deterministic keys, and the glorious nation of Kazakhstan will have adopted Bitcoin as their currency.

Seriously, though, this isn't a pissing contest, everyone must just use whatever they want:) Hopefully you guys have fixed the problem with MultiBit randomly losing privkeys for change addresses and the issue with WowDoge generating a huge log file filled with pong events.

bengx

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:51:50 AM

I'm a happy user of Vertigo. No issues with it yet.
nov

Activity: 433
Merit: 251

Independent crypto developer

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 08:55:31 AM

As it was already stated. The Vertigo source code is not based on Multibit at all, please re-read what was written.
That it is why do not compare our work WowDoge, Vertigo, Exelite etc. with third party solution Multibit.

Do not spread not true lies saying politely. Log file size is not issue. It can be minimised in future version.

I, too, look forward to that glorious day in the future when Darkcoin will have ring signatures, Multibit will have deterministic keys, and the glorious nation of Kazakhstan will have adopted Bitcoin as their currency.

Seriously, though, this isn't a pissing contest, everyone must just use whatever they want:) Hopefully you guys have fixed the problem with MultiBit randomly losing privkeys for change addresses and the issue with WowDoge generating a huge log file filled with pong events.

WowDoge - DogeCoin Lightweight Wallet DOGE: DLoawzLvw5WvvpGUkSTxrwMgKhkamsqFo7
Vertigo - VertCoin Lightweight Wallet VTC: VertGv5nVwYYR7mTmDDeAP9et1NJyAsC9P | Exelite - ExeCoin Lightweight Wallet EXE: ELiteWbMDwX95YZj5Jf5BkHS54qbH7wpXg | Lightweight Wallet Creation Service
MultiCoin - Multiple Crypto Coin Lightweight Wallet in Development BTC: 1EKT9uaaDbTRuwjttFQbfax7KmGNZX32HP | BitcoinViewer - Bitcoin Balances & Transactions on iPhone/iPad BTC: 1NEvfbiA5Bs2sG2jqRdCidGUjLD5JjAjEZ
Pages: « 1 ... 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 [483] 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 ... 684 »
  Print  

Jump to: