Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:20:36 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 [621] 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 ... 1832 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ★★DigiByte|极特币★★[DGB]✔ Core v6.16.5.1 - DigiShield, DigiSpeed, Segwit  (Read 3058427 times)
24hralttrade

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

Community Liaison,How can i help you?

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 10:20:26 AM

http://boostpool.com/stats/     Day by day it's getting less hashes!  Grin

Want to see the Future of Retail omnichannel demo store powered by Digibyte & Tofugear teams?
Please feel free to contact me if you have anything to report or you have any questions.
24hralttrade

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 10:31:09 AM

How much DGB do we need?  and because it's a cross give away how much doge?  I have some reserved DGB for give aways etc. And will buy some doge to support.
Maybe we should start advertising on Facebook&twitter  about the give away?  

@Digibyte, Is there any update we could expect in a few days so we could use the give away to get more attention?

I myself am willing to put some 5-10k doge and 10-20k digibyte for a start. Of course I can go further than that, but my objective is that we give a small tip (50 doge, 100 digi) to at least the first 100-200 people.
Most giveaways on dogecoin subreddit give somewhere between 10 and 100 doge so I suppose it's a decent amount.

If you add a similar amount it'd be great to have two (or more) tippers, it sure helps lighting things up! But I'm not sure we should try  to hand out a really large amount, giveaways are about being nice, not "buying" people (ok we're still talking cents but tips always look bigger than they are Tongue).

Digibyte is already popular among shibes and they love giveaways, so IMO to publicize the giveaway for them is probably an overkill (I'm sure they'll come here in the hundreds). It's not an overkill to look for digibyte fellows, though, because we are lacking here Sad I mean having a dozen digibyters and a hundred shibes coming to say hello if fine, but if we're 3 it's a bit of a letdown!

Well let's do this, I'll make another post on the subreddit, outlining my own "plan" a bit better, and asking when how and if you (I mean any digibyte fellow) wish to contribute. You can answer here too but it makes things a bit messier, if you can drop on the reddit post it'd be nicer, I'm not sure who's who as I suppose some of you here posted on reddit too, with a different nickname. I suppose many of you are a bit perplex about my idea I hope some more details will clarify things (ofc everything is up for discussion!).

PS: I noticed there's a tad more activity now on the subreddit, which makes me happy Cheesy

oh BTW I'm assuming @DigiByte dev's quite busy these days, but there's an unaddressed pull request here https://github.com/digibyte/DigiByteProject/pull/15 (it's not mine and I didn't test it, just pointing it out)
This is awesome to see the community rallying together! We are working hard on numerous things as we speak. We definitely would contribute some DGB toward a giveaway!

Thanks for pointing out the merge request! We are doing some analysis on the code base to see how we can improve it & fix some of the issues we are seeing. It is much better to package several updates in a new wallet release than to release several wallet updates back to back.

We are currently working to bring on new members to the core DigiByte & DigiPay team & getting them up to speed (they are from outside the crypto world). We have an exchange in alpha right now and we have several other very exciting things we will be announcing in the coming weeks. We are working on getting the Android, IOS & Electrum wallets finished as well as stamping out the BitTrex issue, the RPC sendtomany problem and the coin maturity issue (all related).

We want to begin building momentum! Lets keep the awesome conversations we have been seeing about various topics going! You guys rock!

Thank you Digibyte!Looking forward to it  Grin
Maybe to start the Reddit awarenes post this update over there!

Tweet is out : https://twitter.com/Alttrade/status/515810564103499776

http://forum.casheer.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=361
Come and support Digibyte for the Casheer app!

Want to see the Future of Retail omnichannel demo store powered by Digibyte & Tofugear teams?
Please feel free to contact me if you have anything to report or you have any questions.
ghostycc

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

Lovin' Crypto

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 10:40:42 AM

This is awesome to see the community rallying together! We are working hard on numerous things as we speak. We definitely would contribute some DGB toward a giveaway!

Thanks for pointing out the merge request! We are doing some analysis on the code base to see how we can improve it & fix some of the issues we are seeing. It is much better to package several updates in a new wallet release than to release several wallet updates back to back.

We are currently working to bring on new members to the core DigiByte & DigiPay team & getting them up to speed (they are from outside the crypto world). We have an exchange in alpha right now and we have several other very exciting things we will be announcing in the coming weeks. We are working on getting the Android, IOS & Electrum wallets finished as well as stamping out the BitTrex issue, the RPC sendtomany problem and the coin maturity issue (all related).

We want to begin building momentum! Lets keep the awesome conversations we have been seeing about various topics going! You guys rock!

Good news there!
Android wallet will be awsome!

And for the backend work... good luck!

Stop these Hype money, get in DGB!
FrenchFrog FTW
ycagel

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 11:03:34 AM

Does this affect DGB?

‘Bash Bug’ a Concern, But Little Threat to Bitcoin Services
Jon Southurst (@southtopia) | Published on September 26, 2014 at 09:34 BST

There were widespread security concerns yesterday after the discovery of an old flaw that could affect web servers and Internet-connected devices – but many in the industry are claiming it presents no immediate threat to bitcoin services.

The vulnerability, dubbed either the ‘Bash Bug’ or the ‘Shellshock Bug’, would allow a malicious access to a UNIX-based device’s operating system via the command line shell – the most widely used of which is bash.

UNIX-based systems include MacOS, Linux versions (desktop and server), popular mobile platforms and embedded systems on other devices that communicate online.

CNET reported that security expert Robert Graham, described it as “as big a deal as Heartbleed” – the OpenSSL flaw discovered in April – given the “enormous percentage of software that interacts with the shell”.

‘Over-hyped’

Jeff Garzik, bitcoin core developer and now senior software engineer at BitPay, however, said there is no clear and present danger to bitcoin users.

“Prediction: bash bug NOT bigger threat than heartbleed,” he posted on a Reddit thread.

Garzik told CoinDesk that, while the newly-discovered bug had the potential to be bad, “most online services using bitcoin are far more secure than your average home router”.

He added that the Bash Bug would impact mostly non-bitcoin sites, and was being over-hyped.

“It requires special set of conditions to be exploitable, and home routers and ancient Apache web servers were already Swiss cheese security anyway. I think the practical impact will be much less than the mainstream media is making it out to be.”

Bitcoin a target?

At this stage, there are no reports of any exploit of the Bash Bug affecting any bitcoin-related services. So why care at all?

Bitcoin services may potentially be a more attractive target for hackers and thieves than more established, fiat-based services like online banking and PayPal.

There are two historic reasons for this: poor security implementation at some early-stage online bitcoin services, and the reluctance of authorities to investigate or punish digital currency crimes, unless they suspect drugs or money laundering are involved.

Therefore it is best to at least be aware of potential problems developers and services may face.

One exchange’s view

Yan Chuan or ‘YC’, CTO of exchange BitBays.com, said the bug was “relatively easy for hackers to use”, and recommended all users patch, back up logs, and check systems to see if any attack had occurred.

Because the bug allowed malicious hackers full access to an operating system there was potential for any kind of attack, from stealing bitcoin wallets to installing keyloggers and backdoors.

YC said bitcoin itself would not be affected due to its decentralized structure.

“However, as a centralized provider of exchange or wallet services it is possible to be affected by the bash bug. Due to the presence of this vulnerability, open SSH, HTTP, FTP and other application servers are all at risk of being remotely accessed and controlled by a hacker.”

Since Windows is not UNIX-based, its desktop users would not be affected themselves. BitBays’ platform is prepared, YC continued, but concerned users of other platform might like to ask their exchange or wallet service about the situation if unsure.

Cracked shell

The Bash Bug vulnerability stems from a serious security flaw that exists in the bash (Bourne Again SHell) command ‘env‘. It affects the local shell, as well as SSH, FTP, HTTP, and other important services.

YC explained how the bug could be exploited, saying that many web servers send the user’s HTTP request information (REMOTE_HOST), REQUEST_METHOD, QUERY-STRING, etc) stored in an environment variable, to the backend Web framework or CGI scripts.

If this information includes malicious instructions, the next time the server executes bash it will execute the malicious instructions. Thus, the server is compromised.

At present, the popular Apache + PHP and Nginx + wsgi frameworks are vulnerable.

No quick fix

According to Red Hat, which issued its own security advisory, many programs access the bash shell in the background. Several Linux distributions have already made patches available, including Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS.

The bug, which has actually existed for more than 25 years before the release of today’s news, could affect millions of devices and leave much older ones in need of patching. It is the sheer number of devices in need of patching, rather than the flaw’s complexity or known exploits, that has some experts concerned.

Source: http://www.coindesk.com/bash-bug-concern-little-threat-bitcoin-services/
Scyntech

Activity: 349

“Blockchain Just Entered The Real World”

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 11:56:17 AM

You guys need another pool?
Which algo then?

No interest?

They may have not seen your post.

███████████████████████
     ███▄ ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄█▀▀  █████
    ███  █▀  ▀█▀▀▀       ▐█ ███
   ███  ▄██▄▄█▀▄▄▄        █▌ ███
  ███ ▄█▀  █     ▀█▄▄     ▐█  ▐██
 ███▄█▀    █        ▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄ ██
████▀      █           ▀██▀   ▀█ ██
 ██▀█▄     █          ▄█▀▀█▄▄▄█▀██
  ██ ▀█▄   █      ▄▄█▀▀    ▐█  ██
   ██  ▀█▄█▀▀█▄▄█▀▀        █▌ ██
    ███  █▄  ▄█▀█▄▄▄      █▌███
     ███  ▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀█▄▄▐████
      ███████████████████████

▄▄       ▄▄▄        ▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄ 
  ▀█▄   ▄█▀ ▀█▄    ▄█▀ ▄█▀▀   ▀▀█▄
    ▀█▄█▀     ▀█▄▄█▀  ▐█         █▌
    ▄█▀█▄      ▄█▀    ▐█         █▌
  ▄█▀   ▀█▄  ▄█▀       █▄       ▄█
▄█▀       ▀██▀          ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀

Network
BLOCKCHAIN JUST ENTERED THE REAL WORLD
  Decentralized Crypto-Location Oracle Network
GET WHITELISTED FOR TOKEN SALE ( Limited )

WHITE PAPER  ││  ANN Thread  Telegram   Medium   Twitter   Reddit
suchPotato

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 12:50:17 PM

It does not affect the coins per se, only the servers (for example these of an exchange) could be affected. So yes and no, if some exchanges that trade dgb get hacked dgb could be hit too.
It may affect your computer if you have linux or mac not updated, but that's only if you offer some services to the outside.

suchPotato

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 01:02:15 PM

Ok so, without further ado, let's start collecting the partecipants!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Digibyte/comments/2hm03a/dogecoin_digibyte_giveaway_details_and_request/

The giveaway will be started next Saturday (4/10/2014), and probably end Sunday, if you guys agree, post there and I'll add you as participants. All you have to do is drop by and greet the shibe, if you want to take part in the tipping that's even better! (of course you may also get involved further, just tell me what you want to do!)

The date and time are quite arbitrary, if you wish it to be done at another date tell me, but I'd like to get this started soon (and with no set dates everything stays up in the air), also I think one week to collect participants is more than enough, we could probbly start sooner but the weekend is the best time. For this weekend it's a it late and it's better not to hurry things too much I guess.

24hralttrade

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 01:16:38 PM

Ok so, without further ado, let's start collecting the partecipants!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Digibyte/comments/2hm03a/dogecoin_digibyte_giveaway_details_and_request/

The giveaway will be started next Saturday (4/10/2014), and probably end Sunday, if you guys agree, post there and I'll add you as participants. All you have to do is drop by and greet the shibe, if you want to take part in the tipping that's even better! (of course you may also get involved further, just tell me what you want to do!)

The date and time are quite arbitrary, if you wish it to be done at another date tell me, but I'd like to get this started soon (and with no set dates everything stays up in the air), also I think one week to collect participants is more than enough, we could probbly start sooner but the weekend is the best time. For this weekend it's a it late and it's better not to hurry things too much I guess.

The date is good! Sunday will be my most active day Wink
Get as much people in as we can!   ( https://twitter.com/Alttrade/status/515852037469503488  RT,FAV! )

ycagel

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 07:45:20 PM

What about DGB? Smiley

Billionaire Entrepreneur Mark Cuban: 'Bitcoin Has No Shot as a Long-Term Digital Currency'

SEPTEMBER 26, 2014
Mark Cuban invests in a motley mix of businesses, from the big (Magnolia Pictures, the Dallas Mavericks and Dropbox) to the small (a candied pretzel startup, a Snapchat-like texting app and a sippy cup maker). And the list goes on and all over the board. But the veteran tech mogul isn’t putting his money behind Bitcoin. Not yet. 

“Nope, I haven’t invested in Bitcoin yet,” Cuban told Entrepreneur.com on the set of Shark Tank. “I go up and down on it.”

He seemed pretty down on it back in March, when he told USA Today at SXSW that he think’s Bitcoin is “great as an encryption technology,” but not as a cryptocurrency. Not for the long haul. The future, he predicts, isn’t bright for Bitcoin as a cryptocash.

Related: Billionaire Entrepreneur Mark Cuban: 'Failure is Part of the Success Equation'

Like many, Cuban compares Bitcoin to gold and says central banks will never let it truly succeed. He also noted that “no one” that he knows in traditional sales who accepts it as payment keeps it as Bitcoin: “They all translate it to dollars.” And, if they convert the digital money to traditional fiat money, in his mind, it’s not a currency.

“As a transport mechanism, an accounting digital transport mechanism, it’s unique and has a great opportunity in the future,” Cuban told USA Today. “I think it’s got no shot as a long term digital currency.”

Related: PayPal Embraces Bitcoin Payments, Partners With BitPay, Coinbase and GoCoin

If the Dallas Mavericks owner ever does jump on the Bitcoin bandwagon, he says it would be purely for entertainment value. “I’d look at [buying] it, but more as fun. It’s almost like buying and selling baseball cards, but there’s definitely risk involved if you’re looking at it to be a long-term currency.”

Will Cuban ever break down and add Bitcoin to his ever-exploding portfolio? “The jury’s still out,” he told us. We’ll have to wait and see.

To see Cuban size up some promising startups outside of the Bitcoin realm, tune in tonight to the Season Six premiere of Shark Tank from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. ET/PT on your local ABC station.

Source: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/237869
HR
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011

Transparency & Integrity

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 08:06:21 PM

My Up-To-Date Mining Stats

------------------------------------------------o------------------------------------------------

By the way, what does everyone think about including this in the 'signature line' of all DGB promotions?

Why use DigiByte?
  • 1st coin to fork to multi-algorithm mining (Most fair distribution).
  • With 5 unique algos & independent difficulties a 51% attack is significantly mitigated and becomes much harder to carry out.
  • 1st coin to develop & implement DigiShield (asymmetrical difficulty adjustment).
  • 30 second blocks are better for merchants transactions.
  • Professional & dedicated development team since launch on Jan. 10th 2014.
  • Strategic long term road-map & vision alongside pending global corporate partnerships.
  • 1:1000 ratio with Bitcoin, better for micro transactions.
  • No more premine as it was given away to users & charity and used for initial development as stated from the beginning until outside funding was received.

We'd be highlighting the fact that DigiByte is a serious coin that can stand on its own.

suchPotato

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 08:19:43 PM

What about DGB? Smiley

Billionaire Entrepreneur Mark Cuban: 'Bitcoin Has No Shot as a Long-Term Digital Currency'

Source: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/237869

Haha I think it's a better question than it looks. Yes DGB (or any "modern" coin) has actually a greater chance at becoming a cash currency than the fat dinosaur bitcoin IMO. Forking BTC would be madness, not forking BTC means you have ridiculously slow transaction times and other technical restrictions.

About the point Cuban makes, however, that the central banks won't allow btc to succeed, I seriously wonder about their intentions, first, and their ability to bring real buisness out of the crypto market for second.

I'm not that knowldgreable of the subject but I wouldn't take the speculation of some dude too seriously, whoever "that dude" is. It's not like he's bound to put some thought behind his words.

makishart
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1029

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 09:48:53 PM

digibyte is on CEX.IO Cheesy

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
ReSl

Activity: 254

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 11:02:32 PM

Cool, do we already have volume?
Happy trading @ ALL
ReSl

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 11:08:38 PM

By the way, what does everyone think about including this in the 'signature line' of all DGB promotions?

Yes we should. Thats very good facts to point out!
Ryven Cedrylle

Activity: 75

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 11:08:56 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2014, 12:30:43 AM by Ryven Cedrylle

About the point Cuban makes, however, that the central banks won't allow btc to succeed, I seriously wonder about their intentions, first, and their ability to bring real buisness out of the crypto market for second.

When people say "the central banks and the gov't won't let crypto succeed," what they probably ought to be saying is "the banks and the gov't will absorb the technology such that independent cryptos will be pushed to the side," not the sort of Gandalf YOU SHALL NOT PASS that the statement sounds like. F'rexample, VISACoin is inevitable - it's really just a matter of time in determining how long it will take them to implement an internal blockchain (or variant thereof). The question for independent cryptos like DGB is not really a matter of how good the tech is (it's open source, VISA can just copypasta), it's what does DGB offer that VISACoin doesn't?

Independence is itself a thing to offer, though consumers will weigh "look this is independent and awesome!" versus "VISA already gets me everything I need, why use this indie coin?" DGB specifically can offer multi-algo mining which, while not likely a permanent solution to the tech arms race, at least grants a good bit of breathing room other coins won't have.

Looking even further ahead, I'd be willing to bet some DGB that the same corporate branding/groupthink/self-expression weirdness that permeates all other aspects of society will come to crypto as well. The difference in quality between an American Eagle shirt and a Banana Republic shirt (pardon my Amerocentricity for a moment) in terms of quality is minimal, but the choice says something about the beliefs and social circles of the wearer. Ditto for the fans of classic rock vs. pop rock vs. indie rock. Even if eUSD or VISACoin become the dominant electronic currency, libertarian hipsters will want to use BTC because Cult Of Satoshi, upcoming 20-somethings will want to use Doge because nostalgia and pineapples or whatever, folks who think mining is fun will be on DGB and/or Myriad because hey my GPU still works, so on and so on. (Exaggerating for effect here. Read with some humor and facetiousness)

Tech is good and important, but it's easy to forget that the end user of crypto is people; people on the whole are notoriously illogical, often badly-informed and make decisions individually based on wildly different priorities. Even the "dominant" coin isn't going to be 100% market share. The fact that Hindi is the official language of India doesn't stop the citizens of each state from using their own dialects anyway, nor does the dominance of USD (or CNY as the case may be) prevent Poland from printing and dealing in zloty.  We have to stop thinking in terms of One Coin To Rule Them All. It doesn't work that way. People don't work that way.
ReSl

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 11:38:50 PM

Yes, I agree.
Today @ the pub i just explained a person. "Well digital currency will come. I just took my mobile showed him my app and explaind transaction in 2 sentence."
He was interested we got a bit deeper into conversation and in the end (5 minutes) he just trow this question:
We got FIAT why we need Digital Currency?
If people don't get involved into monetary policy they wont care!!!! In my opinion emerging economies will get faster an more growing into digital currency than any other country. Because they see the failures on the corrupted world wide FIAT system. They have less to lose and maybe seeing a brigther future with digital currency. Maybe it get a whole new hype in emerging economies. In the end the other healty countries like USA, China, EU, .... will (have to) join to make buisiness and money!!!
Perception: Entice as many as possible. Do not worry about the rich. Concern for at least a little social connectedness arises. Last but not least do it as easy as possible to understand.

When people say "the central banks and the gov't won't let crypto succeed," what they probably ought to be saying is "the banks and the gov't will absorb the technology such that independent cryptos will be pushed to the side," not the sort of Gandalf YOU SHALL NOT PASS that the statement sounds like. F'rexample, VISACoin is inevitable - it's really just a matter of time in determining how long it will take them to implement an internal blockchain (or variant thereof). The question for independent cryptos like DGB is not really a matter of how good the tech is (it's open source, VISA can just copypasta), it's what does DGB offer that VISACoin doesn't?

Independence is itself a thing to offer, though consumers will weigh "look this is independent and awesome!" versus "VISA already gets me everything I need, why use this indie coin?" DGB specifically can offer multi-algo mining which, while not likely a permanent solution to the tech arms race, at least grants a good bit of breathing room other coins won't have.

Looking even further ahead, I'd be willing to bet some DGB that the same corporate branding/groupthink/self-expression weirdness that permeates all other aspects of society will come to crypto as well. The difference in quality between an American Eagle shirt and a Banana Republic shirt (pardon my Amerocentricity for a moment) in terms of quality is minimal, but the choice says something about the beliefs and social circles of the wearer. Ditto for the fans of classic rock vs. pop rock vs. indie rock. Even if eUSD or VISACoin become the dominant electronic currency, libertarian hipsters will want to use BTC because Cult Of Satoshi, upcoming 20-somethings will want to use Doge because nostalgia and pineapples or whatever, folks who think mining is fun will be on DGB and/or Myriad because hey my GPU still works, so on and so on.

Tech is good and important, but it's easy to forget that the end user of crypto is people; people on the whole are notoriously illogical, often badly-informed and make decisions individually based on wildly different priorities. Even the "dominant" coin isn't going to be 100% market share. The fact that Hindi is the official language of India doesn't stop the citizens of each state from using their own dialects anyway, nor does the dominance of USD (or CNY as the case may be) prevent Poland from printing and dealing in zloty.  We have to stop thinking in terms of One Coin To Rule Them All. It doesn't work that way. People don't work that way.
suchPotato

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2014, 07:26:52 AM

copy/pasta has never really worked, and big tech companies know it too. Microsoft and Apple (now Google too pretty much) have their own OSes, and they ALL suck, but they stick to them, cause it's better to have a technology you made/make than one you borrowed.

But more importantly, if VISA made a coin and that coin failed VISA would take a huge blow. It's not something you can do in a day. You may say they have so much money they don't care how late they join the game, but is that so? This year is closing with BTC pretty low, many alts joining the fray, and so on, but the cryptopaiments are becoming more mainstream by the day. The competition among cryptocurrencies will (you can bet on it) spark a rush for fiat, currencies that don't want to be left behind by doge and friends must forget about eating bitcoin holders' share, and go towards the "mainstream world" on their own.

The independence of a coin is another, huge, important factor, maybe THE factor. Not for the shopkeeper, who might not care, not for the hipster, but for the larger buisness and the bigger (even statal) players. It's true that cryptocurrencies' value dances harder than fiats, for now, but it does so because of the market. Speculators and buisnessmen are just "peers", and there's no "croupier" in the cryptocoins' game. In the Fiat (or VISA) game you have a "dealer" who set the rules. Through its history the dollar was devaluated manya and many times. The problem here is not even the "risk" of devaluation happening, but the arbitrion, there's nothing worse than knowing somebody can just make your money disappear at discretion.
All right, as a small player you may not be able to do much on, say, the BTC market, but you can more or less get what's going on, when BTC will go lower or higher, because the beast that drives bitcoin price is the market, not some dude whose intentions you can't know.

When you go to someone who has enough "money awareness" telling them to use a currency or to use YOUR currency is very different.

I also mentioned the intention. Currently the cryptocurrency world is not that big. There's plenty of bilionaires who have more money than the entire crypto market is worth, it's a little toy for them. Before the central banks (or big financial institutions) start eyeinh crypto it's necessary that its market cap rises. Not because central banks are dumb and don't see the potential of such technology, but because the various players (who are human) would see it as a very unprefessional behavior if the big institutions started playing games with this stupid little toy. And when an institution that backs the value of a currency starts playing games people leave fast!

Now when this "toy" becomes something worth taking notice central banks will sure still have enough money to play their own game, but they won't be alone. The very people dictating their policies will definitely have grabbed their share of crypto, and you can bet many states will have jumped in too!

The "real world buisness" in truth, is getting onto cryptocurrencies fast. It's  interesting to see many non crypto related currencies starting to accept altcoins too. Many buisnesses accept crypto to earn "hipster support", to be fair, but point is they do.

We talk too often about the "hipster" and forget that the "conformist" is a far more common animal as @ReSI says:
Yes, I agree.
Today @ the pub i just explained a person. "Well digital currency will come. I just took my mobile showed him my app and explaind transaction in 2 sentence."
He was interested we got a bit deeper into conversation and in the end (5 minutes) he just trow this question:

The advantage of crypto is obvious. Recharge paypal trough the bank, pay the paypal fees, wait for bank wire transfers, make a visa card. That's very annoying stuff! However most people, especially old people, will keep doing what "everyone does". Comupters were still a hipster thing 20 years ago over here, it was not a matter of price, who'd use that weird box? You did "real buisness" by phone or in person, pc was, for most people, just a toy. People then started using it as tyewriter etc etc etc.
The conformist goes where he thinks the majority is going (oh, just look at parties' electoral spot, they spend more time telling people they'll win than what they'll do, and it works, that's herd mentality at its best, vote a dude cause most people vote that dude).

But when "most" people start using cryptocurrencies everything goes in reverse, the dam of conformism breaks and th majotity switches in a year time. It'll be very hard for any actor to set their own pace to the game.

lucazane
Legendary

Activity: 1198

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2014, 09:42:44 AM

https://theblocksfactory.com/ dgb pools are up again and finding blocks Smiley

The Blocks Factory Mining POOL : DGB(sha256d, Skein, Qubit, Groestl & Scrypt), FTC
DigiByte (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1051

Official DigiByte Account

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2014, 09:57:03 AM

This is great to hear! Thank you for letting us know. We will spread the word!

ycagel

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 03:05:50 PM

Very nice to see some active dialogue being sparked by the Cuban article. Cuban mentioned he would not invest in BTC, but did not rule out other cryptos. I also believe it is just a threat for others to see a possible option besides fiat. No one knows the future. Great thinking in this thread! I do believe DGB has the strongest chance to keep BTC on its toes.

YC

About the point Cuban makes, however, that the central banks won't allow btc to succeed, I seriously wonder about their intentions, first, and their ability to bring real business out of the crypto market for second.

copy/pasta has never really worked, and big tech companies know it too. Microsoft and Apple (now Google too pretty much) have their own OSes, and they ALL suck, but they stick to them, cause it's better to have a technology you made/make than one you borrowed.

But more importantly, if VISA made a coin and that coin failed VISA would take a huge blow. It's not something you can do in a day. You may say they have so much money they don't care how late they join the game, but is that so? This year is closing with BTC pretty low, many alts joining the fray, and so on, but the cryptopaiments are becoming more mainstream by the day. The competition among cryptocurrencies will (you can bet on it) spark a rush for fiat, currencies that don't want to be left behind by doge and friends must forget about eating bitcoin holders' share, and go towards the "mainstream world" on their own.

The independence of a coin is another, huge, important factor, maybe THE factor. Not for the shopkeeper, who might not care, not for the hipster, but for the larger buisness and the bigger (even statal) players. It's true that cryptocurrencies' value dances harder than fiats, for now, but it does so because of the market. Speculators and buisnessmen are just "peers", and there's no "croupier" in the cryptocoins' game. In the Fiat (or VISA) game you have a "dealer" who set the rules. Through its history the dollar was devaluated manya and many times. The problem here is not even the "risk" of devaluation happening, but the arbitrion, there's nothing worse than knowing somebody can just make your money disappear at discretion.
All right, as a small player you may not be able to do much on, say, the BTC market, but you can more or less get what's going on, when BTC will go lower or higher, because the beast that drives bitcoin price is the market, not some dude whose intentions you can't know.

When you go to someone who has enough "money awareness" telling them to use a currency or to use YOUR currency is very different.

I also mentioned the intention. Currently the cryptocurrency world is not that big. There's plenty of bilionaires who have more money than the entire crypto market is worth, it's a little toy for them. Before the central banks (or big financial institutions) start eyeinh crypto it's necessary that its market cap rises. Not because central banks are dumb and don't see the potential of such technology, but because the various players (who are human) would see it as a very unprefessional behavior if the big institutions started playing games with this stupid little toy. And when an institution that backs the value of a currency starts playing games people leave fast!

Now when this "toy" becomes something worth taking notice central banks will sure still have enough money to play their own game, but they won't be alone. The very people dictating their policies will definitely have grabbed their share of crypto, and you can bet many states will have jumped in too!

The "real world buisness" in truth, is getting onto cryptocurrencies fast. It's  interesting to see many non crypto related currencies starting to accept altcoins too. Many buisnesses accept crypto to earn "hipster support", to be fair, but point is they do.

We talk too often about the "hipster" and forget that the "conformist" is a far more common animal as @ReSI says:
Yes, I agree.

The advantage of crypto is obvious. Recharge paypal trough the bank, pay the paypal fees, wait for bank wire transfers, make a visa card. That's very annoying stuff! However most people, especially old people, will keep doing what "everyone does". Comupters were still a hipster thing 20 years ago over here, it was not a matter of price, who'd use that weird box? You did "real buisness" by phone or in person, pc was, for most people, just a toy. People then started using it as tyewriter etc etc etc.
The conformist goes where he thinks the majority is going (oh, just look at parties' electoral spot, they spend more time telling people they'll win than what they'll do, and it works, that's herd mentality at its best, vote a dude cause most people vote that dude).

But when "most" people start using cryptocurrencies everything goes in reverse, the dam of conformism breaks and th majotity switches in a year time. It'll be very hard for any actor to set their own pace to the game.
Pages: « 1 ... 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 [621] 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 ... 1832 »
  Print  

Jump to: