Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:14:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Introduction to DualMiner USB (could mine both BTC and LTC)  (Read 114580 times)
csshih

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:44:21 AM

Here is the latest update. The 1st batch of 50 DualMiner USB has arrived SF Bay Area. We expect to ship out certain samples to our selected reviewers in next few days. Stay in tune!

I'm in the SF bay area. I'd be more than happy to swing by and help verify the existence / functioning of these.

Ditto.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dualminer_3

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:27:06 AM

First, why is there such a difference between the theoretical stats and the quoted performance, particularly on BTC? And why is the BTC-only mode eliminated?

Second, what software would be able to use this gizmo to dual-mine simultaneously? On their site, they say "Customized Windows software with GUI" but they also mention Linux; and their screenshots are of a command-line miner. Depending on how the software is implemented, it may not be able to run on unusual hardware like a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone.  Custom-developed miners are sometimes less efficient than dedicated software like cgminer or bfgminer, so we could be giving up precious hashes. Definitely need more info on this front.

Not at all related to this but I'm assuming the lower spec is because of lower power (needs to run off 2.5w total power)

Yeah, drmadison was right. If you want to plug a miner into PC's usb2.0 port. The miner's power must be lower than ~2.5w.
dualminer_3

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:32:56 AM

Wait, can't you just buy an R9 270X at 425kH/s and an U1 at 1.6GH/s for $300 instead of 3 of these at 120kH/s and 1.5GH/s for $300?  I don't understand the advantage of these devices.  Maybe at half the price?  Looks like Ebay candy to me.
If we talk about kh/usd, this usb miner is not good than gpu miner currently. If we talk about kh/watt, usb miner is far better. Also usb miner have some flexibility. You can use a beaglebone board to control the usb miner.
dualminer_3

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:41:10 AM

Can these (and other, similar, dual-use devices) mine both BTC and LTC simultaneously? Or is the user (or perhaps mining software) supposed to pick one at a time to mine?

Quote from first page and from the website:

Hash Rate: Dual Mode: 40KH/s LTC, 500MH/s BTC, or LTC Mode: 70KH/s LTC, BTC Off
Thanks, I missed that on their Web site.  But on the first page of this thread, there's no performance info from the OP.  I reviewed all posts by the OP, in fact, and he doesn't mention the specs in any of them.

Another poster posted the theoretical stats of the chip they're using:

 BTC mode up to 2.25G/s BTC Hash Rate, with 2.4W/GHash
 LTC mode up to 60K/s LTC Hash Rate
 Due-Coin mode up to 1.75G/s BTC Hash Rate + 60K/s LTC Hash Rate, or up to 2.25G/s BTC Hash
Rate + 38K LTC Hash Rate

So two things jump out at me:

First, why is there such a difference between the theoretical stats and the quoted performance, particularly on BTC? And why is the BTC-only mode eliminated?

Second, what software would be able to use this gizmo to dual-mine simultaneously? On their site, they say "Customized Windows software with GUI" but they also mention Linux; and their screenshots are of a command-line miner. Depending on how the software is implemented, it may not be able to run on unusual hardware like a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone.  Custom-developed miners are sometimes less efficient than dedicated software like cgminer or bfgminer, so we could be giving up precious hashes. Definitely need more info on this front.

We developed a special version cgminer for dualminer. The customization is mainly because cgminer on github doesn't support dual mine mode. The latest version of cgminer even removed scrypt support, :-(. Also we are keeping a eye on bfgminer. We may release a bfgminer for dualminer. Currently only a customized cgminer is developed. As long as we start mass shipping, we will release cgminer that works on Linux. At that time, Beaglebone or PI can be used to control/manage dualminer usb.
turtle83

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 09:12:03 AM

Can these (and other, similar, dual-use devices) mine both BTC and LTC simultaneously? Or is the user (or perhaps mining software) supposed to pick one at a time to mine?

Quote from first page and from the website:

Hash Rate: Dual Mode: 40KH/s LTC, 500MH/s BTC, or LTC Mode: 70KH/s LTC, BTC Off
Thanks, I missed that on their Web site.  But on the first page of this thread, there's no performance info from the OP.  I reviewed all posts by the OP, in fact, and he doesn't mention the specs in any of them.

Another poster posted the theoretical stats of the chip they're using:

 BTC mode up to 2.25G/s BTC Hash Rate, with 2.4W/GHash
 LTC mode up to 60K/s LTC Hash Rate
 Due-Coin mode up to 1.75G/s BTC Hash Rate + 60K/s LTC Hash Rate, or up to 2.25G/s BTC Hash
Rate + 38K LTC Hash Rate

So two things jump out at me:

We developed a special version cgminer for dualminer. The customization is mainly because cgminer on github doesn't support dual mine mode. The latest version of cgminer even removed scrypt support, :-(. Also we are keeping a eye on bfgminer. We may release a bfgminer for dualminer. Currently only a customized cgminer is developed. As long as we start mass shipping, we will release cgminer that works on Linux. At that time, Beaglebone or PI can be used to control/manage dualminer usb.

If you need help with building/testing/troubleshooting with Linux or Pi lemme know...

Beastlymac

Activity: 630
Merit: 501

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:59:50 PM

It looks like I have a sample on the way. I will update you all soon.

Message me if you have any problems
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:29:00 PM

I've got tracking too.

oliversl

Activity: 52

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:20:48 PM

Looking forward to those reviews and screenshots! Smiley
cxboyminer

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:58:01 PM

I thought Im on the review list... That's what dualminer told me...

.Minter.                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876
Merit: 1000

Etherscan.io

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:21:27 AM

Just a quick note to say I have received the dual miner today and will be doing a review once I have everything setup and running

Cheers

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Etherscan.io

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:58:20 AM

Where can we download this special version of cgminer?

Cheers

dualminer_3

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:32:31 AM

Where can we download this special version of cgminer?

Cheers

Please go to http://support.dualminer.com for the software on Windows PC.
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:34:47 AM

Received my sample, had to pay customs or tax or something. Will post pics later, then will attempt to mine with it. Shipping came from China.

Spiffy_1

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 12:55:32 PM

Watching this excitedly.. Wish I qualified for a sample.. Heck, I'd pay half price to check this thing out.. I'm especially interested in the dual cgminer.. The code is workable, but someone will tweak the hell out of it

If you like what I've posted, mine for me on whatever algo you like on www.zpool.ca for a minute using my bitcoin address: 1BJJYPRcRPzTEfByCwkeJ8SCBcrnGD1nhL
joeventura

Activity: 854

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 01:31:37 PM

Sorry no matter how expensive your electricity is, you are paying $980 for 700Kh of LTC mining when you can get that for half the price in a GPU.

At 500 watts for a single GPU giving you 700Kh you would pay $54 a year (at $0.15 Kwh) to run it.

The breakeven on the electricity would require you to mine for 7-9 years before these devices recovered their excessive cost.

For easy math, a GPU of about 700Kh mining costs $500 (for round numbers) so for these to be competitive they have to cost $50 USD

When they hit that price (or close to it) you should buy all you can get.  There is a small window then Alpha T starts selling their units.

Just my 0.02BTC

fsb4000
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 02:01:32 PM

Sorry no matter how expensive your electricity is, you are paying $980 for 700Kh of LTC mining when you can get that for half the price in a GPU.

At 500 watts for a single GPU giving you 700Kh you would pay $54 a year (at $0.15 Kwh) to run it.

The breakeven on the electricity would require you to mine for 7-9 years before these devices recovered their excessive cost.

For easy math, a GPU of about 700Kh mining costs $500 (for round numbers) so for these to be competitive they have to cost $50 USD

When they hit that price (or close to it) you should buy all you can get.  There is a small window then Alpha T starts selling their units.

Just my 0.02BTC

your math wrong.
0.5kw * 365 days *24 hours * 0.15Kwh = $657
But 7970's power consumption is 280w, not 500
So
0.28 * 365 days * 24hours * 0.15Kwh = $367,92 - electricity cost per year
joeventura

Activity: 854

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 02:18:09 PM

When they hit that price (or close to it) you should buy all you can get.  There is a small window then Alpha T starts selling their units.

Just my 0.02BTC

your math wrong.
0.5kw * 365 days *24 hours * 0.15Kwh = $657
But 7970's power consumption is 280w, not 500
So
0.28 * 365 days * 24hours * 0.15Kwh = $367,92 - electricity cost per year

280 Watts.

Let's convert this number to kiloWatts by dividing by 1000, to get 0.28 kiloWatts.

These devices, that have been on for 24 hours, have consumed

0.28 Watts × 24 hours = 6.72 kWh (kiloWatt-hour) of energy.
Finally, since energy costs you $0.15/kiloWatt-hour, these devices have costed you:

6.72 kWh × $0.15f/kWh = $1.01 a day * 365 days = $368.65 to run a GPU for a year

Which gives you 700Kh?

Now instead you buy 10 of the USBs and run them LTC only and you have spent $980

Let's say they use 20 watts a day ($0.07 a day) or $25 a year to run

$980 + 25 = $1005 for 700Kh is total operating for a year for these.

A GPU of the 7970 type is $440 plus the $368 for electricity is $808 cost to operate for a year.

Both the GPU and the USB Dual miners require a computer so we wont add those in and we wont add in the $80 for a good USB hub to run 10 of them.

Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:34:36 PM

Preliminary pictures. Sorry for crappy resolution, used a cell phone for these:

Dabs Dual Miners (kids)

I got the package

It's wrapped in bubbles

Nice label on the box

Front of the DualMiner

Back of the DualMiner

Now, on to the actual mining.

I downloaded the drivers for my ancient Windows OS.
I downloaded the dualminer custom software.
Plugged in the DualMiner.
Detected. Installed drivers.
Installed DualMiner GUI.
Created worker on mining pool.

Now, I must note, that this thing came with the dip switch already set to LTC mode (or scrypt mode) only. So I figure, I'd test it first that way. I'll do the dual coin mining later. Also, the coin I'm mining is not LTC, but it is scrypt, so it should work.

The GUI shows 70 kh/s.
The cgminer console window shows 70 kh/s.
The pool stats show anything from 50 kh/s to 98 kh/s.

That's it so far. I'll keep it running for a few hours and see if anything else happens, aside from it mining.

ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 04:00:41 PM

This looks great!
I'm wondering how they would behave with other types of USB miners on the same computer?
Do you still have samples to send out so I could review this?
Thanks

mtbitcoin
Legendary

Etherscan.io

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 04:13:25 PM

Hi

I think was one of the first to receive the actual sample unit and when I got it there were still no downloads available from the http://support.dualminer.com site. However, shortly after posting on the forums I was informed that the custom built cgminer was available for download.

Once that was available I got this setup and running as per the instructions available at http://support.dualminer.com

Below are some pics ..

Picture of the package received. This was shipped directly from TNT china. I believe for those us in ASIA the packages were sent directly from China

The miner was wrapped in foam sheets

The actual miner

I first did a test running with the DIP switch set just to mine at LTC mode. As advertised this ran around 70Kh and they match up with what is reported by the pool

I then did a second test running with the DIP switch set to mine in the hybrid BTC/LTC mode. When set to run in this mode 2 instances of the custom cgminer built is executed. One for BTC mining and the other for LTC. The speeds are similar to what was advertised and they roughly match up with what is reported by the pool

Other observations and remarks:

1. Test environment was an old dell laptop running Windows 7 32 bit

2. The unit was somewhat warm to touch and if running more than few units I would definitely prefer to run this with some sort of active cooling (i.e a simple fan blowing over the units)

3. I initially had issues getting it to run in the Hybrid mode when running this directly from the laptop's USB port. But once I had this on a powered hub there were no issues.

4. While  I have no comments on the ROI, the packaging and casing was nice and personally I think these would make nice gifts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: