Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:43:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What payout model do you prefer?
Classic shared block payout model - 100 (42%)
Score based payout model - 62 (26.1%)
Pay per share payout model - 76 (31.9%)
Total Voters: 236

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BTCMine - ZERO fee mining pool (LP, SSL, JSON API, P2SH)  (Read 171454 times)
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 06:52:08 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2011, 07:12:50 PM by LMGTFY

Mine shows 19:49  Roll Eyes
Weird. If you check the source, the page loads with the time hard-coded to proper-UTC. I haven't looked any further yet, but I assume there's some JavaScript wizardry that then ticks the time on. I assume that's where the discrepancy occurs - the JavaScript must be doing something odd in your case.

Edit: there's a function, updateUTCTime, that seems to be using local time to derive UTC. Seems a little long-winded and potentially error-prone. I seem to recall JavaScript having UTC handling built-in... but it's been a long time since I used it. I'll dig further...

Edit 2: yup, the Date object has UTC methods. This is untested, and it's possible dbitcoin has a good reason that I've not thought of for doing it the way it's done, but if it were me I'd start by looking at replacing...
Code:
        dt = new Date(utc);
        dtstring = pad(dt.getMonth()+1, 2)
            + '/' + pad(dt.getDate(), 2)
            + '/' + dt.getFullYear()
            + ' ' + pad(dt.getHours(), 2)
            + ':' + pad(dt.getMinutes(), 2)
            + ':' + pad(dt.getSeconds(), 2);
with...
Code:
        dtstring = pad(Date.getUTCMonth()+1, 2)
            + '/' + pad(Date.getUTCDate(), 2)
            + '/' + Date.getUTCFullYear()
            + ' ' + pad(Date.getUTCHours(), 2)
            + ':' + pad(Date.getUTCMinutes(), 2)
            + ':' + pad(Date.getUTCSeconds(), 2);

This space intentionally left blank.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

BTCDig - mining pool

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2011, 07:19:36 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2011, 08:53:16 PM by dbitcoin

UTC time shown in red on "Mining Activity" is incorrect.  1 hour "ahead"

Now time it's correct?

BTCDig - mining pool (Stratum, VarDiff, DGM, SSL, JSON API)
snedie

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 08:23:55 PM

Can't wait for this payout, it's only just going to cover the cost in electricity. Sorry dbit but I'm thinking to switch pools to bitpenny.
dbitcoin (OP)

BTCDig - mining pool

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2011, 08:56:19 PM

Can't wait for this payout, it's only just going to cover the cost in electricity. Sorry dbit but I'm thinking to switch pools to bitpenny.

Per share payout in long term period = same money. But now per share give you less.

snedie

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 10:37:50 PM

Per share payout in long term period = same money. But now per share give you less.

Give less?

Anyway. From what I have earnt in your pool these past days is only earning me a slight amount over the cost of electricity. In BitPenny, my estimates show that I could possibly earn higher (and that value would be fairly consistent). I won't actually know until I get in there and see what sort of Coin/Hr I achieve, but if it turns out to be less than your pool I will return.

JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 10:57:07 AM

Might also factor in MtGox has dropped about 15% in the last week  Angry

http://www.bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg30zvztgSzm1g10zm2g25

LMGTFY

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 01:33:17 PM

Give less?

Anyway. From what I have earnt in your pool these past days is only earning me a slight amount over the cost of electricity. In BitPenny, my estimates show that I could possibly earn higher (and that value would be fairly consistent). I won't actually know until I get in there and see what sort of Coin/Hr I achieve, but if it turns out to be less than your pool I will return.

Re: "Give less" - assume the average time to find a block on btcmine is 1 day, there are 10 miners, and each miner achieves 100 shares a day. In the average case when the block is found after exactly 24 hours, there are 1000 shares. Right now, we've gone, say, three days without finding a block and there are 3000 shares. For each miner the ultimate reward will be the same (50 BTC / 10 miners), but for each share the reward will be much less (50 BTC / 3000 shares vs. 50 / 1000). As dbitcoin says, in the long term this evens out - but right now it's hard not to look at the reward per share and think of all that electricity... :-(

snedie

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 01:39:04 PM

Give less?

Re: "Give less" - assume the average time to find a block on btcmine is 1 day, there are 10 miners, and each miner achieves 100 shares a day. In the average case when the block is found after exactly 24 hours, there are 1000 shares. Right now, we've gone, say, three days without finding a block and there are 3000 shares. For each miner the ultimate reward will be the same (50 BTC / 10 miners), but for each share the reward will be much less (50 BTC / 3000 shares vs. 50 / 1000). As dbitcoin says, in the long term this evens out - but right now it's hard not to look at the reward per share and think of all that electricity... :-(

I see. The problem I have is that without a job I cannot pay in advance my electricity bills, and because we pay an "Estimated Bill" at the beginning of a month I must have the necessary money in place for the next month. When this pool finally pays out it will have cost more in electricity than it did to mine, where as pools such as bitpenny and deepbit can give me a steady income that always always the cost in electricity.

Once I have spent a week in either of those two pools and got some money saved, I will re-evaluate this pool's solve rate and see which one paid more.

[edit]Actually since JWU42 and Supressor started (late I might add) my bounty has dropped significantly, and it has cost me 1/3 more to mine than the payout.
LMGTFY

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 01:49:23 PM

I see. The problem I have is that without a job I cannot pay in advance my electricity bills, and because we pay an "Estimated Bill" at the beginning of a month I must have the necessary money in place for the next month. When this pool finally pays out it will have cost more in electricity than it did to mine, where as pools such as bitpenny and deepbit can give me a steady income that always always the cost in electricity.

Once I have spent a week in either of those two pools and got some money saved, I will re-evaluate this pool's solve rate and see which one paid more.
I was solo-mining until the most recent difficulty increase, but since then I've been floating between various pools - mostly dbitcoin's and slush's. FWIW, I've made more with btcmine than I have with mining.bitcoin.cz, but that's probably because I went for the "per share" option right when btcmine started. I can afford the quiet periods in btcmine right now, but if I was in your utility-bill position I'd probably look at mining.bitcoin.cz instead - it's much more steady. With one 5870 I've been averaging 2.5 BTC per day, varying between just over 1 to just over 4 BTC in any given day.

I suspect if I moved to btcmine, and waited for, say, a couple of weeks to a month, I'd see similar averag results - just with a lot more variation. (Ignoring difficulty changes, obviously).

(Just to annoy everyone: I made more CPU solo-mining back in October than I have from GPU pooled-mining!)

snedie

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 08:23:39 PM

I really want to get out of this pool but I can't disconnect until we solve a block at some point (Not wasting 4 days).
LMGTFY

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 08:32:56 PM

I really want to get out of this pool but I can't disconnect until we solve a block at some point (Not wasting 4 days).
Miners Top is showing your hash rate as 1307 Mhash/s - at that rate you could be making around 10 BTC per day on average in a bigger pool, or averaging under three days to make 50 BTC solo-mining. There's no telling when btcmine will find its next block, so it might be worth considering cutting your losses... As I understand it the shares you've accumulated so far will still count, even if you switch pools or start solo-mining, so it wouldn't be a complete loss.

Personally, if I had 1300 Mhash/s at my disposal I'd still be solo-mining ;-)

snedie

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 08:43:00 PM

Miners Top is showing your hash rate as 1307 Mhash/s - at that rate you could be making around 10 BTC per day on average in a bigger pool, or averaging under three days to make 50 BTC solo-mining. There's no telling when btcmine will find its next block, so it might be worth considering cutting your losses... As I understand it the shares you've accumulated so far will still count, even if you switch pools or start solo-mining, so it wouldn't be a complete loss.

Well people say its a 2day average solve rate with dual 5970's, but I have solved one block in 5 days for this pool. I have also just done the math on this pool's current solve rate, and even though to the eye it looks very slow it's actually earning miners the average rate of most pools (70BTC/Week: If it solved now, the average over 7 days for me would be 74.3664BTC).

Solo mining looks very tempting to me, however I first need to earn the entire proceeding month's electricity cost before I switch.
[Tycho]

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 08:55:02 PM

As I understand it the shares you've accumulated so far will still count, even if you switch pools or start solo-mining, so it wouldn't be a complete loss.
As i understand, everything will be lost except for the shares submitted in the last two network block intervals (~20 min)

1.3 GH/s is too slow for solo mining, IMHO :) Will work ONLY if you are lucky.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
LMGTFY

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 09:05:03 PM

As i understand, everything will be lost except for the shares submitted in the last two network block intervals (~20 min)
Ah, that's a shame.

1.3 GH/s is too slow for solo mining, IMHO Smiley Will work ONLY if you are lucky.
Really?! I'd consider solo-mining viable if the average suggested at least one (ideally more) block before the next difficulty change. At 1.3 Gh/s the average is under three days, with around six days before the next difficulty change. To be honest, at 330 Kh/s (average 11 days, 11 hours) I'm considering moving back to solo-mining when the difficulty decreases next week, though I'll concede that I'll need a good bit of luck! :-)

[Tycho]

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 09:13:54 PM

Really?! I'd consider solo-mining viable if the average suggested at least one (ideally more) block before the next difficulty change. At 1.3 Gh/s the average is under three days, with around six days before the next difficulty change. To be honest, at 330 Kh/s (average 11 days, 11 hours) I'm considering moving back to solo-mining when the difficulty decreases next week, though I'll concede that I'll need a good bit of luck! :-)
Yes, i'm thinking about this as deciding factor too. But it's not guaranted that you will find a block in 3 days. Last block in slush's pool took 524205 shares to solve. Yesterday i had 489991-shares block in my pool, so it's pretty possible. When mining solo that would be a little disaster, like a month of mining for single block :)

I don't see any reason to mine solo at 300 KH/s even with 70k difficulty...

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
dbitcoin (OP)

BTCDig - mining pool

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2011, 09:55:02 AM

I added poll about preferred payout model. Please vote.

snedie

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 01:01:25 AM

I added poll about preferred payout model. Please vote.

I voted "Per-Share" model, but I think that is a biast answer from me. Until mining becomes a steady operation for me, I don't think I could nestle on any one payout model. It will be interesting to see what people vote for though: Could those who vote (If they wanted to) mention what they voted for and if they use CPU or GPU mining.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 09:12:54 AM

I voted pay per share, under the condition that the price is the same for all models. I don't think those who select another option make the same assumption, because if they did it would make no sense to select anything else. The whole point of a pool is to get a steady payout, and pps is as steady as it gets.

The only drawback for pps is that it shifts that risk to the pool provider. Other than that it's win win for both sides. It makes it very easy to client to check that the pool provider doesn't cheat, and the pool provider doesn't have to take any measures against pool jumping. I think that if someone starts providing pps and long polling for a more fair price than 10% they would quickly become the largest pool.
[Tycho]

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2011, 09:18:01 AM

I think that if someone starts providing pps and long polling for a more fair price than 10% they would quickly become the largest pool.
Any price is fair if both sides agree on it and pool owner don't lies about it.

Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 10:21:37 AM

Any price is fair if both sides agree on it and pool owner don't lies about it.
But since I don't agree to it your attempt at nitpicking is moot.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  

Jump to: