Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:40:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast BabyJet users thread  (Read 68940 times)
dbbit

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:20:22 PM

On a PC, how do I get cgminer (3.11) to ignore all of the other hardware on my machine and just use the BabyJet?

cgminer constantly has spew like this:
USB init, open device failed, err -12, you need to install a WinUSB driver for - BTB device 3:2
USB init, open device failed, err -12, you need to install a WinUSB driver for - BLT device 3:2
USB init, open device failed, err -12, you need to install a WinUSB driver for - AMU device 2:1
USB init, open device failed, err -12, you need to install a WinUSB driver for - AMU device 2:2
USB init, open device failed, err -12, you need to install a WinUSB driver for - AMU device 2:3

It doesn't seem to interfere with the BabyJet - everything works, but the constant spew out to the console makes it hard to read any real errors.
perezoso

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:26:42 PM

On a PC, how do I get cgminer (3.11) to ignore all of the other hardware on my machine and just use the BabyJet?

USB init, open device failed, err -12, you need to install a WinUSB driver for - BTB device 3:2
USB init, open device failed, err -12, you need to install a WinUSB driver for - BLT device 3:2
USB init, open device failed, err -12, you need to install a WinUSB driver for - AMU device 2:1
USB init, open device failed, err -12, you need to install a WinUSB driver for - AMU device 2:2
USB init, open device failed, err -12, you need to install a WinUSB driver for - AMU device 2:3

It doesn't seem to interfere with the BabyJet - everything works, but the constant spew out to the console makes it hard to read any real errors.

You need to run Zadig and replace the driver used for the BJ with the WinUSB driver. 
spectre2112

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:27:00 PM

spectre2112: I'm not sure what aux connector you are referring to.  If you can attach a picture, that will help.  If it's the 5-pin white connector, that's the one that provides +5v standby power to the board, and also enables the board to turn on the PSU. (+12v)

Yup - that's the one!

If the connector is in the upper left corner of the board, what is each pin? Which is the +5VSB, GND, etc., etc. and etc.

Thanks!

(I ask because I'm sure I'll end up modding in the future.)
dbbit

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:31:42 PM

You need to run Zadig and replace the driver used for the BJ with the WinUSB driver. 

I did. The BabyJet is actually working fine.

These are old drivers on my machine for other hardware (e.g. block erupters) that cgminer is also trying to use for some reason. I just want it to use 'HFB' devices.
defcon23
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:31:49 PM

hi , ive got an issue with my bj ... it's start to run , and the psu seems to stop after 30 sec...  , i pushe the little black button on the left of the board, the unit restart , and shutdown 30 second later...   Cry    any idea?    thanx

You mean it starts to run when you start up the cgminer process and then it shuts down after 30 seconds? What does the cgminer setting say? I have seen this when the freq is set too high
 in fact its'  the same problem when i try to run the bj , with a pi, or a laptop , cgminer, bfgminer, the issue is exactly the same if i dont plug anything into the usb port of the bj...      i run the bj , and 30 second later , i listen a "tac"  in the psu and it shutdown
perezoso

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:33:55 PM

I did. The BabyJet is actually working fine.

These are old drivers on my machine for other hardware (e.g. block erupters) that cgminer is also trying to use for some reason. I just want it to use 'HFB' devices.

I sold my old block eruptards on ebay - $20 each - rather than try to run multiple instances or such radically different hardware under the same instance. Sorry.  I think I saw in the cgminer documentation the way to do what you are trying to do though... you have to tell it to only scan certain USB ports.
dbbit

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:40:13 PM

I sold my old block eruptards on ebay - $20 each - rather than try to run multiple instances or such radically different hardware under the same instance.

I'm about to as well. But the block erupters are just the AMU messages. Even if I remove them it still keeps looking for BTB's and BLT's.

I don't know what BLT's are specifically. I found some old cgminer documentation that lists this as some sort of Icarus device. I've never had a BLT... Either way, I want it to stop trying to look for BLT's and just use HFB's.

Mmm. Why am I suddenly in the mood for a sandwich?
perezoso

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:49:03 PM

hi , ive got an issue with my bj ... it's start to run , and the psu seems to stop after 30 sec...  , i pushe the little black button on the left of the board, the unit restart , and shutdown 30 second later...   Cry    any idea?    thanx

You mean it starts to run when you start up the cgminer process and then it shuts down after 30 seconds? What does the cgminer setting say? I have seen this when the freq is set too high
 in fact its'  the same problem when i try to run the bj , with a pi, or a laptop , cgminer, bfgminer, the issue is exactly the same if i dont plug anything into the usb port of the bj...      i run the bj , and 30 second later , i listen a "tac"  in the psu and it shutdown

Okay.  You start up your laptop.  You start cgminer (with the default .conf file).  You plug in the USB cable.  What does cgminer say?
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 07:28:46 PM

For anyone that might be running a little hot, it might be worthwhile to check the water cooler/ reapply thermal paste. i was running around 84 degrees on Die 1 and just reapplied thermal paste and reseat the water cooler head. Running about 8 degrees cooler now. Disclaimer, dont do it if you  don't know what you are doing.

http://imgur.com/a/7DZqd

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
defcon23
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:01:44 PM

Okay.  You start up your laptop.  You start cgminer (with the default .conf file).  You plug in the USB cable.  What does cgminer say?
  it say nothing : cgminer just show the graphic card of my laptop.... not hashfast unit ...
dbbit

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:03:47 PM

Phil,

Has the Golden Nonce chips been tested at low temperatures to see what the cold bug temperature is (if any)?

dbbit

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:05:46 PM

it say nothing : cgminer just show the graphic card of my laptop.... not hashfast unit ...

Your cgminer is too hold if it still has GPU support. Upgrade it to 3.11 from here:
http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/3.11/
yrral (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:09:09 PM

For anyone that might be running a little hot, it might be worthwhile to check the water cooler/ reapply thermal paste. i was running around 84 degrees on Die 1 and just reapplied thermal paste and reseat the water cooler head. Running about 8 degrees cooler now. Disclaimer, dont do it if you  don't know what you are doing.

Is that 2nd picture your own application of thermal paste? I assume it is because it looks quite nice.

What was the original thermal paste? Was it the stock one that comes preapplied to the waterblock?
defcon23
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:11:00 PM

Your cgminer is too hold if it still has GPU support. Upgrade it to 3.11 from here:
http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/3.11/

this is the version i try to use: cgminer-3.12.0-x86_64-built.tar.bz2

edit: i just try the 3.11.1 version ......no  bj  shown ....
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:20:50 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 08:56:55 PM by minternj

For anyone that might be running a little hot, it might be worthwhile to check the water cooler/ reapply thermal paste. i was running around 84 degrees on Die 1 and just reapplied thermal paste and reseat the water cooler head. Running about 8 degrees cooler now. Disclaimer, dont do it if you  don't know what you are doing.

Is that 2nd picture your own application of thermal paste? I assume it is because it looks quite nice.

What was the original thermal paste? Was it the stock one that comes preapplied to the waterblock?

Yes the original TP is most likely what comes pre-applied with the CoolIT's from the factory. Couldn't tell you what brand that is.  You can still see some remnants around the crevices on the other components on the chip, but I neglected to take a picture of that.  I wish i had some more time to clean up and do a better job of spreading the TP, but i really wanted to get it back up and hashing so i could play with clock speeds more. (Also make money lol)

So far 81 Degrees at 670 clock. Not bad considering i used to be 84 degrees at 600 clock.  Averaging ~500GH for the last 10 minutes. Do I have the fastest baby jet so far? No one is really talking about overclocking on this thread. makes me sad as a pc overclooking guy.

Edit - started seeing lot of usb errors and hw errors. I  suggest not going this high.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 09:47:56 PM

--usb AMU:0

Try docs before asking

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 09:50:45 PM

We can't condone overclocking, and just by luck-of-the-draw, some dies work faster than others and some run hotter, etc.  What I can say is that we are working to improve the firmware which should result in much more stable performance, whether overclocked or not.  One of the things we did is when the dies get into an unknown state, there is a watchdog timer that resets the board after about 15 seconds.  This will cause the "Device disappeared, disabling" errors, and then it will pop right back up and cgminer thinks it's a new device.  Hopefully one of the changes soon to cgminer will track the devices by their serial numbers so that doesn't happen and you don't end up with a string of different devices over time.

I had cgminer 3.12 crash twice, once unfortunately overnight.  I happened to be looking at the screen when the other crash happened.  Cgminer popped up a message about imminent reboot and something about a watchdog, and errors were spewing across the screen faster than I could read them, but rather than the BJ restarting, cgminer crashed.  I'm suspecting a similar problem caused the other shutdown.

So I rolled back to cgminer 3.11, which is not prone to the same problem.  Unfortunately, 3.11 has the disadvantage - for me at least - of usually requiring the BJ to be physically hotplugged in order to get hashing each time the program starts up (e.g. after editing the config file), or each time there is a hiccup in my setup (e.g. wifi network goes down).

I don't use minepeon or the RPi.  This is a PC.

The watchdog is a 'feature' on some firmware within the hashfast device and nothing to do with cgminer directly; it just reports the message it's gotten from the device. If you're hitting the watchdog it's because something randomly has gone wrong, overheat, fart or whatever and the device decides to reboot. The watchdog seems to be far too trigger happy and hopefully will be removed in newer firmware.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
dbbit

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:45:04 AM

Try docs before asking

You're right. Sorry. Your docs are very clear on this. I've come not to expect docs to be that good, so I've searched the forum and net but couldn't find anything. Should have gone to the docs first.

Anyway, donation sent from me - thanks for doing this!
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:31:44 AM

For anyone that might be running a little hot, it might be worthwhile to check the water cooler/ reapply thermal paste. i was running around 84 degrees on Die 1 and just reapplied thermal paste and reseat the water cooler head. Running about 8 degrees cooler now. Disclaimer, dont do it if you  don't know what you are doing.

Yes the original TP is most likely what comes pre-applied with the CoolIT's from the factory. Couldn't tell you what brand that is.  You can still see some remnants around the crevices on the other components on the chip, but I neglected to take a picture of that.  I wish i had some more time to clean up and do a better job of spreading the TP, but i really wanted to get it back up and hashing so i could play with clock speeds more. (Also make money lol)

So far 81 Degrees at 670 clock. Not bad considering i used to be 84 degrees at 600 clock.  Averaging ~500GH for the last 10 minutes. Do I have the fastest baby jet so far? No one is really talking about overclocking on this thread. makes me sad as a pc overclooking guy.

Edit - started seeing lot of usb errors and hw errors. I  suggest not going this high.

i am definitly looking forward to overlock as soon as the dust settles and they run smooth and stable
MinorMiner

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:52:46 AM

+1 for updated firmware and a more sensible watchdog.

I have noticed these problems:
  • Hashing in MinePeon is reported at twice the rate I'm actually doing - I WISH it was so Smiley, but I'd rather have realism than wishful thinking
  • When the HFA device resets, it gets added as a separate device and the total hashrate for the next incarnation of the device is then added to this. This leads me to get a fantastic display of 1.7TH for just one nominally 420GH babyjet.  Shocked

I have this version: cgminer3.11.0hf1 currently. Not seen a 3.12 version come along yet.

Going for a fan replacement operation this weekend. I'll see how it affects temperatures. It goes anywhere from 72C to 75C currently. I found that removing the front panel that clips on allows the fans to actually in-take air, which seems kinda helpful. Roll Eyes

All contributions gratefully received 1G6Wia22Jnpz2DUisA5EoAC6KJ7MHm6QyP
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: