Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:43:40 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 [493] 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 ... 1311 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2004315 times)
roselee
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 05:44:16 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2016, 06:37:02 AM by roselee

http://www.altcointoday.com/chinese-exchange-yunbi-lost-40000-etc/

Chinese Exchange Yunbi Lost 40,000 ETC Over Chain Vulnerability

the Ethereum Foundation which employs countless of experienced developers working on sharding, Casper and other applications has come out in support of ETH:

We will focus our resources and attention on the chain which is now called ETH (ie. the fork chain)

Ethereum users and dapp developers can, therefore, fully ignore ETC and be safe from relay attacks if they transact on only one chain allowing the two communities to freely co-exist and compete in their chosen path.

etc HF or die...

that nice of them pumpy but why didnt they help earlier ? i thought the ethereum foundation was built only to develop ethereum ?
if they come out now what did they do befor?
i thought they put already all resuces on the problem ? beginning from the doa desaster to the hf and now to solve this replay attack?

and pumpy the skype leak showed that the devs themself picked up the etc and sold them or am i wrong ?
see read
https://imgur.com/a/DHexx#4I1WrPY

and they talk about the replay .........unbelivebal
this guys now come in to save it ? havent they been coding the hf?

the advice for the masses to stay safe from a replay attack is to stay away from etc.
but the devs already collected there free money in etc and sold them
but if every one does that now its a risk for there project ?

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 06:40:01 AM

So if ETC is forced to hard fork will exchanges start listing the old chain as Ethereum Classic Original (ECO)?
roselee
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 07:10:30 AM

So if ETC is forced to hard fork will exchanges start listing the old chain as Ethereum Classic Original (ECO)?
who will force them ? vitalik and co?  and how ? etc already said no to a hf when vitalik asked them.

thats about how to deal with it as i understand one has to hf again 

https://medium.com/@timonrapp/how-to-deal-with-the-ethereum-replay-attack-3fd44074a6d8#.z46p3gmbh

Benarand

Activity: 773
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 08:15:18 AM

ETC will never hard fork, it is their principle. If it hard fork, it will be a dead coin. So it will have only one chain.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 08:31:55 AM

who will force them ? vitalik and co?  and how ? etc already said no to a hf when vitalik asked them.

thats about how to deal with it as i understand one has to hf again 

https://medium.com/@timonrapp/how-to-deal-with-the-ethereum-replay-attack-3fd44074a6d8#.z46p3gmbh

When the BTC Core fans ditch etc you will have to appeal to eth users. And they will probably find that they had a lot of etc and lost them. If that is not a worry for the ETC team then that should be a red flag for anyone looking into it.

ETC will never hard fork, it is their principle. If it hard fork, it will be a dead coin. So it will have only one chain.

That's how I perceive their attitude as well. Which means they can't copy/paste Ethereum much longer. Nor will it be easy to find dedicated devs.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 08:35:20 AM

i think thats would be difficult with mining difficulty bomb, they need to use pos or remove diff bomb.  i want to hear what feasible option besides HF Huh

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
dumana

Activity: 148

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 10:06:27 AM

i think thats would be difficult with mining difficulty bomb, they need to use pos or remove diff bomb.  i want to hear what feasible option besides HF Huh

The mining bomb will happen in October or November this year. So it will be a dead coin by that time.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 8969

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2016, 12:50:51 PM

That's how I perceive their attitude as well. Which means they can't copy/paste Ethereum much longer. Nor will it be easy to find dedicated devs.

Except that it's not actually true:

https://ethereumclassic.github.io/

We believe in decentralized, censorship-resistant, permissionless blockchains. We believe in the original vision of Ethereum as a world computer you can't shut down, running irreversible smart contracts. We believe in a strong separation of concerns, where system forks are only possible in order to correct actual platform bugs, not to bail out failed contracts and special interests. We believe in censorship-resistant platform that can be actually trusted - by anyone.
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 03:31:40 PM

We believe in decentralized, censorship-resistant, permissionless blockchains. We believe in the original vision of Ethereum as a world computer you can't shut down, running irreversible smart contracts. We believe in a strong separation of concerns, where system forks are only possible in order to correct actual platform bugs, not to bail out failed contracts and special interests. We believe in censorship-resistant platform that can be actually trusted - by anyone.

Yes it is. That is how I perceive the attitude of the community. Whether it's their official policy or not.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 03:32:08 PM

tomothy pointed me to this article:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-ethereum-hard-fork-spawned-a-shaky-rebellion-ethereum-classic-etc-eth

Slydrule

Activity: 185

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 04:05:06 PM

Two things I noticed on the web site.  First, the site does not mention that principles include allowing thieves to keep their ill-gotten gains and that investors can trust that their investments will be completely depleted if taken by thieves - which the blockchain will tolerate.  The code is the law which mean investors have to trust the code will not be exploited for nefarious purposes.   I am not sure how you can claim you want it to be trustworthy at the same time, but maybe other investors can figure that out.

I also noticed you take donations in ETH.  How ironic.
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2016, 04:25:07 PM

Two things I noticed on the web site.  First, the site does not mention that principles include allowing thieves to keep their ill-gotten gains and that investors can trust that their investments will be completely depleted if taken by thieves - which the blockchain will tolerate.  The code is the law which mean investors have to trust the code will not be exploited for nefarious purposes.   I am not sure how you can claim you want it to be trustworthy at the same time, but maybe other investors can figure that out.

You seem to be lying, I don't take donations.

The "thieves" argument is moot in the case of ETH/ETC. The Ethereum foundation was not compelled by any kind of law enforcement to take action against those "thieves" and it doesn't appear that any due process took place. The fork is an attempt to have it both ways: "let's do law and order like IRL", but also "we will use the code as law to bring justice and move the tokens the way we feel is right".

Here is what should have happened it this wasn't a huge mess of overlapping interests between investors, bagholders, the foundation, slock.it, etc:

The DAO investors find out their investment is at risk. They ask ETH to help. ETH says either "sorry, not our problem, talk to slock.it" or - if they're feeling polite that day - "sorry, there is something we could do (a fork) but it's against our own rules". At which point the DAO investors sue the foundation and/or slock.it, get a court order (or not), fork happens (or not). Not that it would be much less controversial but at least the "law and order" argument would make more sense.

But that sounds slow and inefficient, so fuck it, let's just do justice our own way. Right?
FruitBucket

Activity: 286
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 04:34:53 PM

The "thieves" argument is moot in the case of ETH/ETC. The Ethereum foundation was not compelled by any kind of law enforcement to take action against those "thieves" and it doesn't appear that any due process took place. The fork is an attempt to have it both ways: "let's do law and order like IRL", but also "we will use the code as law to bring justice and move the tokens the way we feel is right".

Here is what should have happened it this wasn't a huge mess of overlapping interests between investors, bagholders, the foundation, slock.it, etc:

The DAO investors find out their investment is at risk. They ask ETH to help. ETH says either "sorry, not our problem, talk to slock.it" or - if they're feeling polite that day - "sorry, there is something we could do (a fork) but it's against our own rules". At which point the DAO investors sue the foundation and/or slock.it, get a court order (or not), fork happens (or not). Not that it would be much less controversial but at least the "law and order" argument would make more sense.

But that sounds slow and inefficient, so fuck it, let's just do justice our own way. Right?

It is not compelled by law enforcement to hard fork, it is compelled by the community. Did you see the vote?

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 04:38:14 PM

Wasn't it a platform bug in the solidity compiler that was exploited and allowed the DAO theft to occur in the first place? Wasn't there plenty of warning that the DAO and ETH are beta and in under current development?

ETC is nothing more than an attempt to derail ETH development and justify theft.
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2016, 04:47:13 PM

It is not compelled by law enforcement to hard fork, it is compelled by the community. Did you see the vote?

I did, it was low turnout and contentious. The amount of hashrate in ETC as well as its exchange rate reflects the dissent. Why is it that ETH supporters still seem to have a problem with ETC? I'm trying to understand that since my first post in this thread but I'm not getting any closer. The "law and order" argument clearly doesn't make sense since ETH didn't really follow the law. Community was split since before the fork. What else?
Ekanenf

Activity: 290

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 05:11:16 PM

I did, it was low turnout and contentious. The amount of hashrate in ETC as well as its exchange rate reflects the dissent. Why is it that ETH supporters still seem to have a problem with ETC? I'm trying to understand that since my first post in this thread but I'm not getting any closer. The "law and order" argument clearly doesn't make sense since ETH didn't really follow the law. Community was split since before the fork. What else?

From the mining hash, you can say that 90% of the miners support the ETH. But miners chase profits.
Master_dandosha

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

IF YOU Enjoy Trade with ME ..PUT Feedback Please

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 05:12:22 PM

Wasn't it a platform bug in the solidity compiler that was exploited and allowed the DAO theft to occur in the first place? Wasn't there plenty of warning that the DAO and ETH are beta and in under current development?

ETC is nothing more than an attempt to derail ETH development and justify theft.
+1  Smiley
so you guess etc is going to collapse soon ..

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Slydrule

Activity: 185

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 05:39:38 PM

When I said "you take donations from ETH" I meant the ETC foundation or whatever you call it - I assumed since you posted the link you represented the foundation.  In any case the website has an address for ETH donations.   That's no lie.
Mrpumperitis
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1075

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 05:43:06 PM

Microsoft Azure only on ETH  Smiley

Technically Bitcoin is a fork and Bitcoin Cash is the original blockchain.When the hard fork occurred, people had access to the same amount of coins on Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash.- NIST
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2016, 05:49:08 PM

No, it was a problem in the DAO itself, not in Solidity.

http://hackingdistributed.com/2016/06/18/analysis-of-the-dao-exploit/

There are some claims that the language design is at fault but there were no changes to it in the fork. The fork was about transferring the DAO funds into a refund-only contract, not about fixing anything in the code.

When I said "you take donations from ETH" I meant the ETC foundation or whatever you call it - I assumed since you posted the link you represented the foundation.  In any case the website has an address for ETH donations.   That's no lie.

Nice backpedaling. I post a lot of links, doesn't mean I represent or take donations for e.g. hackingdistributed.com above.
Pages: « 1 ... 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 [493] 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 ... 1311 »
  Print  

Jump to: