Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:42:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 [529] 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 ... 1311 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2004308 times)
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2016, 12:12:51 AM

Roll it back!

thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 12:28:43 AM

ETC or ETH.... I don't care.... as long as they pay for the electricity and puts a little play money into my account since Bitcoin is no longer profitable to mine in Wisconsin ( damn electric rates )

With that said.... I have a question about mining.

Is there a way to automatically pool switch? Like in CGMiner mining for other altcoins, one would use the --rotate <arg> command to switch between pools every x hours.

Does ethminer have a command like that so I can mine both ETC and ETH without having to manually plug in the changes - I'd like to automatically have ethminer switch every 12 hrs from ETC to ETH, and back ....

Thanks

4 Radeon R9 295X2 GPU's
1 DPS-2980AB power supply
-- clock and memory : 1175,1375
-- around 280MH on Dwarfpool

You sure about that, I've heard there is a lot of lost hashpower on ETC Network, because their hardware is inferior to the Ethereum Network.

However, you should expect that short of thing with their shoe-string budget for Network Hardware Grin
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 8952

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2016, 12:32:24 AM

ETC or ETH.... I don't care.... as long as they pay for the electricity and puts a little play money into my account since Bitcoin is no longer profitable to mine in Wisconsin ( damn electric rates )

With that said.... I have a question about mining.

Is there a way to automatically pool switch? Like in CGMiner mining for other altcoins, one would use the --rotate <arg> command to switch between pools every x hours.

Does ethminer have a command like that so I can mine both ETC and ETH without having to manually plug in the changes - I'd like to automatically have ethminer switch every 12 hrs from ETC to ETH, and back ....

Thanks

4 Radeon R9 295X2 GPU's
1 DPS-2980AB power supply
-- clock and memory : 1175,1375
-- around 280MH on Dwarfpool

I think you have two options:

- schedule two scripts every 12 hours, one for ETC, one for ETH mining, and add a command to kill ethminer at the beginning of the script.
- start two scripts at the same time, one for ETC, one for ETH, each using 2 GPUs (try --opencl-device)
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 12:41:20 AM

I remember reading a post, I think it was on Claymore's Dual Miner ANN.

Where people mining ETC, where reporting 25% less hashpower at the poolside.

Once, you get PC properly set up; you can get the lost hashpower at poolside on Ethereum Network below 5%.

But, the Ethereum Network has invested a lot of money into it's Network Hardware.

Naturally, ETC was scrubbed together from nothing and their nodes must be some guy's old recycled PCs Grin

suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2016, 12:56:52 AM

Once, you get PC properly set up; you can get the lost hashpower at poolside on Ethereum Network below 5%.

But, the Ethereum Network has invested a lot of money into it's Network Hardware.

Naturally, ETC was scrubbed together from nothing and their nodes must be some guy's old recycled PCs Grin

There are solid pools that have been around since before Ethereum and they now offer ETC mining options (e.g. suprnova), or pools that have done ETH and now do both (e.g. nanopool). Your comment makes no sense other than to show you have no clue on the subject.
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 01:02:57 AM

There are solid pools that have been around since before Ethereum and they now offer ETC mining options (e.g. suprnova), or pools that have done ETH and now do both (e.g. nanopool). Your comment makes no sense other than to show you have no clue on the subject.

Oh, so you don't deny the ETC nodes are some guy's old recycled PCs Cheesy
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2016, 02:04:36 AM

Oh, so you don't deny the ETC nodes are some guy's old recycled PCs Cheesy

I think the fact that you know jack shit kinda covers that. My post also didn't deny that the Sun travels around the Earth, still doesn't mean it's true.

If you believe you're somehow supporting ETH by spreading your ignorance on the forum you might want to rethink that strategy.
bbOOmm

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 05:18:47 AM

Ok, another mining question....

ETH requires a gpu 2gb or greater, actually I think it will soon to be 3gb or greater because of something with the size of the DAG

Now with ETC, looking at the difficulty and the network hashrate.... would 1gb and 2gb gpus still be able to mine ETC???

note: I dont really know what the DAG is... is it tied in with the diff and hashrate or is it a block number thing or Huh

tylerderden
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1025

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 06:29:01 AM

ETH requires a gpu 2gb or greater, actually I think it will soon to be 3gb or greater because of something with the size of the DAG

Now with ETC, looking at the difficulty and the network hashrate.... would 1gb and 2gb gpus still be able to mine ETC???

note: I dont really know what the DAG is... is it tied in with the diff and hashrate or is it a block number thing or Huh

2gb will work on etc for awhile, your other issue..miningpoolhub has both on an auto switch port then you can also choose which coin you want paid in so it mines etc when it's most profitable or eth when it's most profitable. I use it and get paid in etc just to help suppress the price of eth as much as I can cause they're dicks. Coinotron has something similar but it just autoswitches and pays eth and etc.

Mulzatas

Activity: 249
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 06:54:43 AM

The DAG size will not be 3GB for another year. So it is safe to mine with 3GB cards. You cannot mine ETC with 1GB cards.
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 08:01:19 AM

Here are the crude approximations for Dag file sizes Ethereum Network:

"Increases by approximately 0.73x per year" and "started at  a size of 1GB".

"Following the same crude approximation:

The 2GB limit will be hit around mid-December 2016
The 3GB limit will be hit around mid-April 2018
The 4GB limit will be hit around mid-September 2019"

Hope, that helps!

Auponef

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 09:15:58 AM

Hope, that helps!

The Ethereum will go to PoS from PoW some time next year, so it is quite safe to mine with the 3GB cards now.
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 10:06:59 AM

Hope, that helps!

The Ethereum will go to PoS from PoW some time next year, so it is quite safe to mine with the 3GB cards now.

Yeah, the Ethereum Foundation have 7 million Ethereum to go until they reach 90 million, which is in about 6-7 months left, probably finishing in February 2017!

Then, the Ethereum Foundation is contractually obliged to start the POS - according to their crowdfunding campaign.

tylerderden
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1025

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 10:42:53 AM

https://cryptrader.com/c/umREf9ro 

I guess the votes are in...

Can we get a rollback??
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 11:41:17 AM

https://cryptrader.com/c/umREf9ro  

I guess the votes are in...

Can we get a rollback??

A Stable Crypto price tends to reduce trade volume, as everybody knows.

Miners have less reason to sell (not panicking or getting greedy) and buyers have less reason to speculate (no expectation of buying undervalued items or expectation of selling at higher price). However, this is the most ultra short-term mindset that you've chosen too cite.

A Crashing Price produces high trade volumes, moderated by the reduced value of the trades.

And, a Rocketing Price produces high trade volumes, exaggerated by the increased value of the trades.

Dig a little deeper into the charts you are using.
Zaducis

Activity: 441

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 04:31:40 PM

Hope, that helps!

Yeah, the Ethereum Foundation have 7 million Ethereum to go until they reach 90 million, which is in about 6-7 months left, probably finishing in February 2017!

Then, the Ethereum Foundation is contractually obliged to start the POS - according to their crowdfunding campaign.

According to the first few versions of the white papers, the mining will last forever, and 18 million new coins will be mined every year.

thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 04:52:33 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2016, 07:18:47 PM by thevictimofuktyranny

"Increases by approximately 0.73x per year" and "started at  a size of 1GB".

Hope, that helps!

According to the first few versions of the white papers, the mining will last forever, and 18 million new coins will be mined every year.

It was what was given out to people who paid the Ethereum Foundation $60 million at the crowdfunding campaign e.g. the Seed Money to build the Network.

The Ethereum Foundation entered in legal obligations, should they fail to deliver; it would leave them wide open to many successful litigations.  

My understanding is: they said: too the people paying into the crowdfunding seed fund:

60 million ETH to those in paying into the seed fund.

12 million ETH to be set aside for the Ethereum Foundation, less than what was seen with Ripple.

18 million ETH, in a POW period for GPU owners.

At 90 million ETH, a POS implementation aimed at 0% inflation.

The real question is: would the people who paid into the seed fund be able too successfully litigate against ETC, were they to fail to implement a POS at 90 million coins?
bbOOmm

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 07:35:16 PM

A multiple GPU issue.

I'm trying something different for stability while mining with multiple GPUs...

I'm using a system that has 5 PCI-e slots and an onboard VGA. The bios allows me to set the onboard VGA to ALWAYS ON even if there is a PCI-e GPU plugged in. On startup I can see the POST scrolling along etc, I can see Ubuntu start up and then go to the ubuntu "loading" splash screen. Ubuntu finishes loading, but the onboard VGA remains at that ubuntu splash screen, but no longer has the "loading dots" moving. The active screen is now one of the mining GPUs.

So I tried using an old ass PCI-e Radeon x700 video card, I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 15.04 and I did have it running the way I want it to run, the mining GPUs with no monitors attached, and with the X700 as the active display card, but I had a R9 270X card kroak (a mining card) and when I removed the dead card, Ubuntu automatically changed the default display to a mining GPU card instead of keeping the default display on the X700 card. I cannot see the X700 in Control panel>Displays either but the post and ubuntu loading shows on that card...

So the idea would work.... The problem is, I don't know how to command Ubuntu to use the X700 as the default video ...

I've been using Ubuntu for something like 10 years... I'm still learning the nifty CLI commands ..... so could someone list the cli command(s) to switch the default card?

Thanks

Oh and by the way.... Ubuntu 16.04 does not support the FGLRX software needed for ethminer .... Sad ... has anyone figured out a work around yet?

suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2016, 07:46:39 PM

A multiple GPU issue.

I'm trying something different for stability while mining with multiple GPUs...

I'm using a system that has 5 PCI-e slots and an onboard VGA. The bios allows me to set the onboard VGA to ALWAYS ON even if there is a PCI-e GPU plugged in. On startup I can see the POST scrolling along etc, I can see Ubuntu start up and then go to the ubuntu "loading" splash screen. Ubuntu finishes loading, but the onboard VGA remains at that ubuntu splash screen, but no longer has the "loading dots" moving. The active screen is now one of the mining GPUs.

So I tried using an old ass PCI-e Radeon x700 video card, I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 15.04 and I did have it running the way I want it to run, the mining GPUs with no monitors attached, and with the X700 as the active display card, but I had a R9 270X card kroak (a mining card) and when I removed the dead card, Ubuntu automatically changed the default display to a mining GPU card instead of keeping the default display on the X700 card. I cannot see the X700 in Control panel>Displays either but the post and ubuntu loading shows on that card...

So the idea would work.... The problem is, I don't know how to command Ubuntu to use the X700 as the default video ...

I've been using Ubuntu for something like 10 years... I'm still learning the nifty CLI commands ..... so could someone list the cli command(s) to switch the default card?

Thanks

Oh and by the way.... Ubuntu 16.04 does not support the FGLRX software needed for ethminer .... Sad ... has anyone figured out a work around yet?

Have you tried plugging the X700 into the slot where the now-default card is plugged in?

It's not quite clear if you want the CLI or the GUI or both to be on the X700... for the GUI try digging around PCI device settings in xorg.conf.
bbOOmm

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 08:07:56 PM

What I would like to have is the the Ubuntu GUI on the X700 where I then use Terminator for multiple terminal windows within one window, where I run run ethminer and control/monitor the mining GPUs via CLI commands within the Terminator windows. This will leave the mining GPUs free for 100% mining duty.

No, I have not moved the X700 to the now default slot.  I believe that will just result in the default slot changing again. Therefore I'd like to command Ubuntu to always use slot 0 as default, where the mining GPUs will be in Slots 1,2,3,4 ...... or better yet, command Ubuntu to use the onboard VGA as default video so I can stuff in another mining GPU in the would be then open PCI-e slot since I would not be using the X700 then.
Pages: « 1 ... 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 [529] 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 ... 1311 »
  Print  

Jump to: