Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:40:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 294 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com  (Read 465522 times)
poolwaffle (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:59:03 PM

Is there any plan to make withdraws at a certain time every 24 hours? For the sake of consistency?
Thanks & great work so far.

Thats part of the plan, however, right now a large amount of our exchanging of coins goes through Cryptsy, who don't allow automatic withdrawls.  And at a 1% fee, we don't have anywhere near 2 days worth of slush saved up (basically everything we earn over 24 hours gets paid out immediately).  So I need to manually withdraw from Cryptsy each morning to have enough for the payments to get sent out.

Long story short, not feasible for now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
poolwaffle (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:00:29 PM

Nope.  The miner hashrates are a 10 minute average (to smooth out variance).  So if you've only been mining for 5 minutes, that hashrate will show ~50% of what your actual speed is.  This is pretty standard Smiley

Understandable, I've seen this on other pools.  Is there an explanation behind why I would see my hashrate fluctuate between 500 KH/s and 2 MH/s when my rigs are reporting they've been chugging along full speed (currently about 1.6 MH/s total)?  I'm certainly not blaming the pool, just curious what I'm experiencing Smiley  I'm not seeing any notable amount of rejects/stales/HW errors.  Could something else be going on? I hope I'm not asking ignorant questions  ._.  

Thanks for the help! Smiley I've definitely been enjoying the profitability here over the other pools I've tried...
Because the hashrate on the site is calculated from shares you have submitted to the pool -> sometimes you get bigger shares and sometimes smaller or no shares at all thus it varies alot on the site. Average will be still same as cgminer is showing.

My 675 khs rig shows sometimes 1.1 mhs, sometimes 300 khs. Depends on luck.

This guy is correct, and to expand a bit further: wafflepool (in an attempt to make our servers cry less) set our max miner difficulty pretty high, so variance goes up for shares submitted, but overall profits stay the same.  Less load on our servers, slightly less accurate mining speed stats.
poolwaffle (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:02:10 PM

Suggestion: Display a luck calculation for 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days.  We're spending a lot of our mining time now trying to get big (profitable) dogecoin blocks, which is great, but since we haven't hit any our luck is probably negative. Showing the luck will help reassure miners when rewards are low due to randomness.

Well the luck is better now! And thankfully that was right after I increased my hash rate a lot.  But it still would be nice to show it.

EDIT: Also, can we add MEOW. Seems to be the hot coin now and a good fit for this pool. (Assuming coinedup is supported as an exchange.)

Still this.

Also wondering if we're switching too fast between coins?

Are you aware of an actual problem caused by the switching method? As far as I can tell this pool is designed to switch very efficiently. Our earnings here should be excellent.

Unfortunately, CoinedUp doesn't have a useful API (no automated trading) so to add the coin, everything would be have to be manual (tons of extra work, and increased risk to price fluctuations), so I don't see MEOW getting added until they are traded at an exchange with a better API (or coinedup adds one)
chilin_dude

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:26:23 PM

The fact you're so active with feedback i think is a massive attraction to the pool, so good job.

What exchanges are you using at the moment besides cryptsy? Seems the whole community (not just this pool) needs https://coinex.pw/ is a small one with poor liquidity at the moment, but maybe worth using anyway if prices are better from time to time
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:47:53 AM

Unfortunately, CoinedUp doesn't have a useful API (no automated trading) so to add the coin, everything would be have to be manual (tons of extra work, and increased risk to price fluctuations), so I don't see MEOW getting added until they are traded at an exchange with a better API (or coinedup adds one)

Unfortunate but entirely understandable.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:51:52 AM

This guy is correct, and to expand a bit further: wafflepool (in an attempt to make our servers cry less) set our max miner difficulty pretty high, so variance goes up for shares submitted, but overall profits stay the same.  Less load on our servers, slightly less accurate mining speed stats.

One idea would be to scale the hash rate calculation by shares. Instead measuring shares in the last so many minutes, measure minutes for the last N shares (with N chosen to give a reasonably accurate hash rate estimate). This will give slower hash rate estimates for small miners, but more accurate estimates.  Or likewise some similar exponential moving average which might be easier to compute.

poolwaffle (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:08:45 AM

One idea would be to scale the hash rate calculation by shares. Instead measuring shares in the last so many minutes, measure minutes for the last N shares (with N chosen to give a reasonably accurate hash rate estimate). This will give slower hash rate estimates for small miners, but more accurate estimates.  Or likewise some similar exponential moving average which might be easier to compute.

Definitely an option.  If we have enough complaints/confusion we'll look into switching it. Would just take some database index changes (everything is optimized for time-based currently) Smiley
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:16:36 AM

Definitely an option.  If we have enough complaints/confusion we'll look into switching it. Would just take some database index changes (everything is optimized for time-based currently) Smiley

Well if you just keep the timestamp for their one previous share and EMA off that on each new share that requires minimal database structure.

pembo210

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:17:42 AM

giving it a try  Wink
Zoella

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:10:38 AM

Are you aware of an actual problem caused by the switching method? As far as I can tell this pool is designed to switch very efficiently. Our earnings here should be excellent.

No, which is why I asked the question. What I was seeing on the stats page "seemed" like inefficient hopping. And yes, the potential has looked good, which is why I'm here testing on day 3. The cows got less than 24 hours from me, and hashbros even less. I'm still on middlecoin as well, and while wafflepool did better yesterday by about .002/MH, middlecoin is absolutely killing it today.  I'm at .018/MH over there, not counting my unexchanged having almost doubled.  I'll get the chance to compare to wafflepool in the morning. The way things are going though, I may just keep my rigs divided for a week or two to get a truer long term outlook.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:19:44 AM

No, which is why I asked the question. What I was seeing on the stats page "seemed" like inefficient hopping. And yes, the potential has looked good, which is why I'm here testing on day 3. The cows got less than 24 hours from me, and hashbros even less. I'm still on middlecoin as well, and while wafflepool did better yesterday by about .002/MH, middlecoin is absolutely killing it today.  I'm at .018/MH over there, not counting my unexchanged having almost doubled.  I'll get the chance to compare to wafflepool in the morning. The way things are going though, I may just keep my rigs divided for a week or two to get a truer long term outlook.

Middlecoin is like 40x bigger than this pool so you will definitely see much less variance there. Whether expected earnings are higher or lower is hard to judge especially since middlecoin is so opaque about what they are doing. I guess only time will tell. At this point it is a bit of a leap of faith (plus lower fees here).

Zoella

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:28:14 AM

Middlecoin is like 40x bigger than this pool so you will definitely see much less variance there. Whether expected earnings are higher or lower is hard to judge especially since middlecoin is so opaque about what they are doing. I guess only time will tell. At this point it is a bit of a leap of faith (plus lower fees here).

Exactly this. Other pools have been quick and easy to test, using middlecoin as a baseline. Let's face it. They may be huge, uncommunicative, and expensive, but they set the standard for profits on switching pools. The worst day I ever had there was .0108/MH. So far, waffle is the only other one I've tried that comes close. On two separate occasions (after the hack), the cows couldn't even reach 40% of that payout. I won't even bother talking about bros.

So far on my third day with waffle, I'm seeing average to slightly better than average comparisons to middlecoin. While it hasn't yet earned my faith, it has earned my respect and some of my hash for a longer term evaluation. So far I've been thrilled with pool management and am looking forward to more BTC!
qsrab

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:32:37 AM

Suggestion: Display a luck calculation for 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days.  We're spending a lot of our mining time now trying to get big (profitable) dogecoin blocks, which is great, but since we haven't hit any our luck is probably negative. Showing the luck will help reassure miners when rewards are low due to randomness.

Well the luck is better now! And thankfully that was right after I increased my hash rate a lot.  But it still would be nice to show it.

EDIT: Also, can we add MEOW. Seems to be the hot coin now and a good fit for this pool. (Assuming coinedup is supported as an exchange.)

Still this.

Also wondering if we're switching too fast between coins?

hashcows has been paying me about .03BTC/mhashday. I think coinedup should be priority 1
Zoella

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:35:25 AM

hashcows has been paying me about .03BTC/mhashday. I think coinedup should be priority 1

Seriously? When did that start happening?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:37:22 AM

Exactly this. Other pools have been quick and easy to test, using middlecoin as a baseline.

Easy yes, but quick no. Given variance you need to test for quite a while to get a realistic comparison, otherwise you are just comparing luck  (mostly on the smaller pool, but even on middlepool as well).
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:38:11 AM

Well cows has been mining a lot of MEOW and MEOW has been hot so it isn't surprising that it adds to earnings. Luck is probably a factor too.
qsrab

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:43:09 AM

They started mining newer coins that are only listed on coinedup. MEOW and TIPS have been 2-3x the profitability of DOGE
Zoella

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:46:22 AM

Easy yes, but quick no. Given variance you need to test for quite a while to get a realistic comparison, otherwise you are just comparing luck  (mostly on the smaller pool, but even on middlepool as well).

Not at a variance level I'm willing to accept.  Time is required only when variance falls into a range I'm comfortable with. 0.003 BTC/MH is not an acceptable low end spike for me. It could be considered an outlier, but when two separate tests achieved the same low end spike on two different days it was not worth my effort to try again until other clients start reporting better stability.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:47:44 AM

Not at a variance level I'm willing to accept.  Time is required only when variance falls into a range I'm comfortable with. 0.003 BTC/MH is not an acceptable low end spike for me. It could be considered an outlier, but when two separate tests achieved the same low end spike on two different days it was not worth my effort to try again until other clients start reporting better stability.

If you're not willing to accept variance then you have no business on a 500 MH pool.  Just take a look at the pool hash rate and move on (until it gets bigger at least).

Zoella

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:48:26 AM

They started mining newer coins that are only listed on coinedup. MEOW and TIPS have been 2-3x the profitability of DOGE

Saw that, but their profitability page disappeared a while back.  How long have they been mining them?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 294 »
  Print  

Jump to: