Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:24:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 294 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com  (Read 465522 times)
Bigeyeone

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:01:15 PM

problems on the front end are fixed now

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phzi

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:25:36 PM

problems on the front end are fixed now
I still have to use the IP to access the front-end, and the hourly piechart is currently broken.  But hashrates are showing again.  Oh well, all minor details - wafflepool still kicking butt as usual.

I have been doing some testing with various parameters to see how much I can decrease coin switching lag.  I now think wafflepool should definitely reject 1-block stales, but provide some configuration suggestions on the website. Encouraging and rewarding miners for switching to new work quickly does seems smart.
Titan

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:44:28 PM

Anyone of the miners here on the wafflepool feel now responsible to pull the Luckycoin out of the misery you put it in?
Some honest answers please!
phzi

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:26:30 AM

Anyone of the miners here on the wafflepool feel now responsible to pull the Luckycoin out of the misery you put it in?
Build a better diff algorithm?  If you can't stand a small pool hopping on for a bit, what is going to happen when scrypt ASICs come around midyear?  I certainly can't speak for anyone else that is part of this pool, but I feel that 'testing' small alt-coins (sometimes to the point of their destruction) and rapidly trading them (sometimes even crashing the price) is a positive thing about profit switching pools.  Too many altcoins around.

On topic, domain is working again for me, although pie chart is still borked.
Titan

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:38:38 AM

Build a better diff algorithm?  If you can't stand a small pool hopping on for a bit, what is going to happen when scrypt ASICs come around midyear?  I certainly can't speak for anyone else that is part of this pool, but I feel that 'testing' small alt-coins (sometimes to the point of their destruction) and rapidly trading them (sometimes even crashing the price) is a positive thing about profit switching pools.  Too many altcoins around.

On topic, domain is working again for me, although pie chart is still borked.

The Luckycoin already has a block rate limiter build in that makes flash mining the coin highly inefficient.
Today the pool mined for about two hours. 99% of the hashing power of the pool was lost due to the block rate limiter.
To make that pretty clear all miners on the pool wasted two hours of mining for essentially nothing.
How is that for a "profit" switching pool?

The pool could have mined the same amount of about 3000 coins with about 20MH/s in the same amount of time.
Certainly the block rate limiter does not stop a pool from wasting all it's hashing power for nothing and one can consider this as a design flaw.
Still someone has to pay for the electricity that is wasted in this way.

In the past even the multipool and recently the megamultipool stopped "flash mining" the Luckycoin because it is not economically efficient.

I still wonder, and have asked every pool operator in the past, why you not just simple distribute the hashing power over all the profitable coins and collect the rewards without driving the difficulty up. You could have mined all the Luckycoins of the day with a fraction of the pool hashing power without disrupting the network for a good profit.

Just some thoughts and thanks for the constructive input.

hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 02:39:58 AM

Bitcoins earned decreased by itself!
it was 11 after 4 hours become 8 and now become 7! what's going on??? I m quitting here!
It moved from the "earned" to "sent" stat.  Since we paid miners
NO it's not my case! I have seen
Bitcoins earned (not yet sent): 0.0011
then become

Bitcoins earned (not yet sent): 0.0008

then become Bitcoins earned (not yet sent): 0.0007

i m talking about this.

It's not the paid amount all happened after the payment!

phzi

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:03:27 AM

Titan: obviously your block limiting system wasn't very effective at maintaining the network. Irrelevent of why we mined (if it was actually us) the diff so high, your problem is that the diff didn't drop quickly enough when the hashrate then decreased. Consider this a test that the coin failed to emerge well from, and develop better systems?

Hostmaster: you sure that wasn't unconfirmed total? I watch my stats closely, and everything seems very on the up and up here.  What does the earnings log show when this apparently happened?  All balance changes are justified in the log.
qsrab

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:02:18 AM

Titan has a point.

Poolwaffle used our hashing power to DDoS his coin with us getting nothing in return.
Titan

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:10:46 AM

Titan: obviously your block limiting system wasn't very effective at maintaining the network. Irrelevent of why we mined (if it was actually us) the diff so high, your problem is that the diff didn't drop quickly enough when the hashrate then decreased. Consider this a test that the coin failed to emerge well from, and develop better systems?

Hostmaster: you sure that wasn't unconfirmed total? I watch my stats closely, and everything seems very on the up and up here.  What does the earnings log show when this apparently happened?  All balance changes are justified in the log.

The Luckycoin has weathered many multipools in the past year but non of them ever drove the coin from a profitability between 30-40 down to 1. This is not mining the coin but a blatant network attack misusing your miners hashing power for the attack.
What is the reason for the pool to mine the coin at difficulty 20+ when it could mine it at difficulty 1-2 other than an intentional severe disruption of the network for no obvious reason.

No coin can survive if driven down to profitability 1, because no miner would mine for 3% of the profit of other coins.
So arguing that the difficulty adjustment is not fast enough is a bit gross.

Anyway, saying it was not us, just shows your attitude towards the developers that spend a lot of time to develop the coin,s from which you profit, or in the case of the Luckycoin just waste your miners money.

There are only two addresses that received coins during the attack:
L8zX5VWuBYVMz2Q4g4hPdTByToyuwLUkx4
http://explorer.luckycoinfoundation.org:49917/address/L8zX5VWuBYVMz2Q4g4hPdTByToyuwLUkx4

LEzf5hAQeXh34tpVj3L9Q1JPANzGyLFFbE
http://explorer.luckycoinfoundation.org:49917/address/LEzf5hAQeXh34tpVj3L9Q1JPANzGyLFFbE

Block 160032 shows that they fund the same wallet.
http://explorer.luckycoinfoundation.org:49917/block/1bb1c44aded5249326490834fb46912c152670f2e1b7a8f28d47929c84610a6f

phzi

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 06:05:21 AM
Last edit: February 15, 2014, 06:18:53 AM by phzi

Lol... I just find it hillarious that someone is annoyed that someone mined 'his' coin down so much.  Only the strong will survive, and if a coin cannot withstand a volume influx and departure of the magnitute luckycoin saw today, then the blockchain shouldn't survive.  ASICs are coming to scrypt, and the days of tiny chains are likely numbered.  

Starvation thru diff increases isn't an unlikely stradegy for trading either,  when you think about it.  If mining volume is an 'attack' on a blockchain, I doubt that chain will be around next year in any meanful or tradable way.

I have respect for developers that contribute something significant.  Look at it this way: someone exposed a potential attack algorithm against your design or system or whatever you say broke. Are you going to develop a fix, or just whine about it?

Qsrab: are you mining here? Did you check your payouts during the morning period?  If not, then I wouldn't suggest saying it was for nothing.
poolwaffle (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 01:08:59 PM

Hey guys, just a quick update (sorry for the lack of them over the past day or so).

We've unfortunately had a terrible amount of server issues (a few of which were mentioned here) over the past few days, and have been in 100% firefighting mode.  A coin update caused a bunch of chain reactions, eating up too much memory, causing our work processors to crash, causing the queue of shares to shoot up, causing too much memory usage (again), causing our db to become starved, causing bitcoind to crash, causing our profitability calculator to reference everything compared to a 0 difficulty bitcoin, causing profitabilities to all be 0, causing it to stick on luckycoin for about 2 hours while I fixed all the issues.

No shares should have been lost, they just got piled up for a while.

Everything is back up and working, and better than ever.  We've added precautions to avoid this happening again ideally, but these things never happen in the same way twice.

During all this time, since the endpoints had to be restarted thirty million times, I threw in some upgrades in the process.
1) Stratum endpoints should be much faster, and previously could lock up for a second or so when submitting a found block, which on low difficulty coins could lower profitability pretty substantially (for that few seconds).

2) Our switcher to prioritize certain things a bit heavier than we were before. 
 - Price-stable coins (doge, etc) are given a small boost in relative weight.
 - Coin price (depth-based) is weighted by network hash power.  For example, if on some coin, we look to be about 25% of the network hash power, we require a depth of 4x standard block reward, plus our outstanding balance, in calculating depth required to sell.  Assuming that the other 75% of network hash power will eat through depth as well.  This causes prices to be a bit more accurate (and with low price coins, this can be a +-20% swing in price).
 - We prioritize staying on the same coin a bit more heavily.  If the switch to the new coin isn't worth 5% more, we'll now stay on the same coin (fewer stale shares during the switch, etc).  5% was picked semi-randomly, so this will continue to be tuned based on what we see over the next few days.

3) Better wafflepool connectivity.  We've bumped the number of connections per coin daemon to give us a bit better network propagation (without exhausting bandwidth), as well as making sure our endpoints (and main server) are connected to each other, making sure our servers see a block solved by us first (without going through the whole network first).

4) New coins, we've got a few new coins syncing as it is, hopefully will be added tomorrow Smiley

Long story short, sorry about the downtimes, but we're back and better than ever.  Hopefully profitability starts reflecting it soon Smiley
jimprofit99

Activity: 23

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 03:21:05 PM

Is there any other miner having Confirmed and Unconfirmed coins that don't appear on the Approximate Unconverted Balance on the stats page?  IE: Emerald are still pending on my personal stats page, but don't appear on the Global stats page.  Maybe a DB problem???  Any clue would be appreciated, Thanks.
Titan

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:57:24 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2014, 06:07:13 PM by Titan

We've unfortunately had a terrible amount of server issues (a few of which were mentioned here) over the past few days, and have been in 100% firefighting mode.  A coin update caused a bunch of chain reactions, eating up too much memory, causing our work processors to crash, causing the queue of shares to shoot up, causing too much memory usage (again), causing our db to become starved, causing bitcoind to crash, causing our profitability calculator to reference everything compared to a 0 difficulty bitcoin, causing profitabilities to all be 0, causing it to stick on luckycoin for about 2 hours while I fixed all the issues.

poolwaffle,

So the pool had a glitch and threw the Luckycoin into limbo and you don't feel it is necessary to respond to even a single of my private messages and let the developer know what is going on?
ANJULE

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 06:01:19 PM

If someone gave me a private massage, I would surely know what’s going on...
And responded accordingly  Grin

Sorry, I've been laughing for the past 5 mins now. I just couldn't help it  Cheesy
It's only humor but I like it! Even though very off-topic and childish.

CoinWare.eu - Just started an online-store that accepts BTC!
For now only few items, but more to come! Shipping allover the World by Express-mail.
Europe: 3-6workdays| USA: 4-7workdays | Rest of the World: 4-11 workdays
Titan

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 06:06:18 PM

If someone gave me a private massage, I would surely know what’s going on...
And responded accordingly  Grin

Sorry, I've been laughing for the past 5 mins now. I just couldn't help it  Cheesy
It's only humor but I like it! Even though very off-topic and childish.

LOL, you are right! Well typos happen…, fixed!
poolwaffle (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 06:27:00 PM

So the pool had a glitch and threw the Luckycoin into limbo and you don't feel it is necessary to respond to even a single of my private messages and let the developer know what is going on?

Sorry, hardly ever check PMs, can respond there if you prefer.  Figured the writeup of what happened/went wrong would explain it Smiley
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:03:08 PM

something just happen to the pool? just got a ton of rejects and then it stabilized back again
phzi

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:32:28 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2014, 09:48:51 PM by phzi

Something weird with the cosmoscoin addition? Looks like we mined it for a while, but didn't find any blocks (pretty unlikely for such a low diff coin).

Good work adding new coins tho - definitely key to keeping profitability up.

Is there any other miner having Confirmed and Unconfirmed coins that don't appear on the Approximate Unconverted Balance on the stats page?  IE: Emerald are still pending on my personal stats page, but don't appear on the Global stats page.  Maybe a DB problem???  Any clue would be appreciated, Thanks.
I think emerald was one of the coins that got removed. Probably needs to be cleaned up in the database.

Edit: looks like exchange rate issues? Our aprox. kittehcoin value just dropped to 0 and made the stats page graph look pretty bad.

Edit2: now I have a large negative amount of unconfirmed kittehcoins.  What's happening poolwaffle?
qbitx

Activity: 34

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:50:16 PM

A large chunk of my profits for today seem to have just mysteriously disappeared...
Looks like it's time to switch back to middlecoin (oh gawd the reject rates T_T) until stability improves.
poolwaffle (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:52:28 PM

Something weird with the cosmoscoin addition? Looks like we mined it for a while, but didn't find any blocks (pretty unlikely for such a low diff coin).
I think the stats for mining are off there, we haven't been mining it at all (just me testing with a small 1MH/s rig)

Edit: looks like exchange rate issues? Our aprox. kittehcoin value just dropped to 0 and made the stats page graph look pretty bad.
Edit2: now I have a large negative amount of unconfirmed kittehcoins.  What's happening poolwaffle?
Yeah, there was a chain fork on kitteh that we didn't jump on quick enough.  I've removed it from our coins list for now while its reprocessing blocks, but thats the large drop (should come back up a bit when done, but not up to what it was).  Will know better in a bit here.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 294 »
  Print  

Jump to: