Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:14:46 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator  (Read 73472 times)
fkjnfndjn

Activity: 21
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 12:58:30 PM

A new generation of GPU is coming + clever devs want to use more of the CPU / GPU advantages to make them much more relevant against FPGAs and ASICs. I think the relevant CN coins will follow Monero then adapt the changes to their algo (CN FAST, HEAVY, LITE, SABER...).

FPGA devs will have to adapt.

If new algos are going to be as unpredictable/difficult to optimize as X16R is, I do not see any long term revival. It is not about how viable a coin is - it is about mining it in a predictable manner. Most people do not handle uncertainty well.

Then those that cannot handle uncertainty well will be left behind, and those that can will reap the rewards. That’s not just mining, that’s life.

Kryptowolf512

Activity: 420
Merit: 105

German Translator - Hire me on Bitcointalk!

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2018, 01:26:32 PM

@GPUHoarder, what about the new upcoming Nvidia Turing RTX 2000 Series? Will it work with the Acorn M.2? I know they are not out yet but is there any reason why it shouldnt work with the new series?
mfurman

Activity: 173
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 03:52:29 PM

I agree with you, but some coin devs put the FPGAs in the same categeory as ASICs, for good or bad reasons depending mostly on a personnal point of vue.

I'm ok with ASICs and FPGAs as long as the game is fair, meaning companies develop and sell them without retaining them and mining with for months and throwing them on the market only when it's more profitable compared to mining. That's what all major ASIC maker do, they compete against their "customers".

That's the reason why I like the initiatives here, BCU1525, ACORN M2...They give a chance to the people, not only deep pockets companies or investors who don't give a crap about blockchain / crypto, those which would invest in any business as long as it's profitable.

Mining should be for the people by the people.

Many of the posts in this thread illustrate why more companies mine the hardware before they sell it, require bulk orders, provide poor customer service, etc.  I mean really what is the point of providing a product in a transparent manner at a reasonable price?  SQRL is the the perfect example of a company building fpga miners internally that decided to throw a bone to everyone and sell the same hardware at a very small markup.  What did that get them?  A bunch of accusations about scams and fake products, and this was before they even took a cent from anyone!  Fast forward to the first half of August and people are already blowing up support, asking pointless questions about a product that is not past its shipping deadline.
So what is really a shipping deadline? I believe that more information about SQRL miner should be released ahead of the launch. We should be able to prepare which pools we could be using. I am personally (most would disagree) very much want NiceHash strata support, especially in light of current Market volatility. I actually stopped mining on GPUs yesterday (too hot and electricity cost coming too close to gains) and am only mining on ASICs
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 04:29:51 PM

I agree with you, but some coin devs put the FPGAs in the same categeory as ASICs, for good or bad reasons depending mostly on a personnal point of vue.

I'm ok with ASICs and FPGAs as long as the game is fair, meaning companies develop and sell them without retaining them and mining with for months and throwing them on the market only when it's more profitable compared to mining. That's what all major ASIC maker do, they compete against their "customers".

That's the reason why I like the initiatives here, BCU1525, ACORN M2...They give a chance to the people, not only deep pockets companies or investors who don't give a crap about blockchain / crypto, those which would invest in any business as long as it's profitable.

Many of the posts in this thread illustrate why more companies mine the hardware before they sell it, require bulk orders, provide poor customer service, etc.  I mean really what is the point of providing a product in a transparent manner at a reasonable price?  SQRL is the the perfect example of a company building fpga miners internally that decided to throw a bone to everyone and sell the same hardware at a very small markup.  What did that get them?  A bunch of accusations about scams and fake products, and this was before they even took a cent from anyone!  Fast forward to the first half of August and people are already blowing up support, asking pointless questions about a product that is not past its shipping deadline.
So what is really a shipping deadline? I believe that more information about SQRL miner should be released ahead of the launch. We should be able to prepare which pools we could be using. I am personally (most would disagree) very much want NiceHash strata support, especially in light of current Market volatility. I actually stopped mining on GPUs yesterday (too hot and electricity cost coming too close to gains) and am only mining on ASICs

I mean the pre-orders said August and its not even halfway through the month yet. These questions would be more understandable if it were August 30!  The stratum protocol works on every pool.  I don't think I've seen a miner that does not work on nicehash.
dsmn

Activity: 68
Merit: 4

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 08:34:37 PM

Thats the downside of doing retail sale, then you got to answer stupid questions like "where can I download the miner for the hardware im getting in 1-2 months, bought on a presale" (DOH!!).
Good things takes time, chill forget about it for 10 days and we are almost there Cheesy
TheYankeesWin!

Activity: 462
Merit: 300

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 10:41:33 PM

A handful of people  will get august 31st shipping
Most buyers will get Set 30th shipping.
The August batch is small.  I read on discord  that there are parts that are delayed, but that I am not sure how that affects the acorns.

Hopefully you don't have a lot involved money wise.
mfurman

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 12:38:27 AM

I mean the pre-orders said August and its not even halfway through the month yet. These questions would be more understandable if it were August 30!  The stratum protocol works on every pool.  I don't think I've seen a miner that does not work on nicehash.

Unfortunately, not true. Z9 mini does not work on NiceHash. Squirrels' support told me that at this point NiveHash stratum support is not included (some differences how NiceHash handles that)
lok8nusa

Activity: 254
Merit: 11

Call 811 before you dig

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 02:06:46 AM

Update on Acorns and how they're affected by the BCU-1525 parts procurement issues:

GPUHoarderToday at 7:13 PM
Acorns very end of August and Sept, 1525 is what was delayed by Xilinx.

Coining bits since 2017 
Kano Pool is the BEST BTC mining pool.
mfurman

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 08:45:48 PM

I am wondering if I am the only one perplexed with the fluctuations of profitability of one of the main algos for Acorn - X16R.
It is crazy (as in most things in Crypto mining these days).
Bazzaar

Activity: 75

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 09:23:13 PM

I am wondering if I am the only one perplexed with the fluctuations of profitability of one of the main algos for Acorn - X16R.
It is crazy (as in most things in Crypto mining these days).

Yeah its just you.
ronnieb

Activity: 198

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 11:33:57 PM

Aug 31st shipping here for 1. hopeful.
e97

Activity: 58

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 12:21:13 AM

Wish you all the best. Hope it works out.
XiXiMios

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 01:46:34 AM

Once this accelerator is available I can test with AMD cards. I will get some 560 or use existing 570/580 cards. I don't have GTX cards though
P4ndoraBox

Activity: 711
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 06:39:19 AM

So much to test in the next month.

-Bcu1525
-Acorns
-Nvidia 11xx
-Follow 10xx trending price after 11xx series will be available on the market

Rather simple from the outside, but from a ''new'' investor, basically, we have to do the following work ;

1. Test BCU1525 on different algorithms, and calcs our daily income into the differents algo while taking in consideration the 5,000 units that will slowly get online and adjust the profitability to what we will get after they are all online. The hashrate will remain very good, but the profitability will go down a bit.

2. Test acorns on differents Nvidia/Amd hardware and analyse what it's best ; more gpus, or adapt our actual gpus with acorns that yes, we can get insane hashrate for the electricity cost, but we would need minimum 1 acorn per gpu. ( can go to 315$ USD + shipping + customs fee ). It feel kinda obvious that on the long term road it could be the way to go, but it would depend of the profitability differences of getting our whole mine equiped with acorns vs taking that same investment on bcu1525, what is the best hmm.. ?

3. We are not done yet. Nvidia will come to the game soon enough with their new 11xx ( or 20xx, whatever ) series. We have to take into consideration that 10xx series will get down in price, and we will have to test/see research the actual hashrate those cards can handle, and how they can be compatible with the acorns.

------------

Guess we will be busy with some new toys to play around.  Cheesy
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 04:26:21 PM

Unfortunately, not true. Z9 mini does not work on NiceHash. Squirrels' support told me that at this point NiveHash stratum support is not included (some differences how NiceHash handles that)

I take that back.  The A3 doesnt work on nicehash either. Let me rephrase that, I've never seen a software miner not work with nicehash Smiley  The code to implement (extranonce subscribe) is pretty easy to implement:  https://www.nicehash.com/help/patches-for-extranoncesubscription
mightyzug

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 05:12:33 PM

@GPUHoarder, what about the new upcoming Nvidia Turing RTX 2000 Series? Will it work with the Acorn M.2? I know they are not out yet but is there any reason why it shouldnt work with the new series?

As these are not out yet we can not promise anything with 100% certainty, but at this time we see no reason why the new generation of GPUs wouldn't work with Acorn.
mfurman

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 06:10:49 PM

I take that back.  The A3 doesnt work on nicehash either. Let me rephrase that, I've never seen a software miner not work with nicehash Smiley  The code to implement (extranonce subscribe) is pretty easy to implement:  https://www.nicehash.com/help/patches-for-extranoncesubscription

Thank you very much. It is helpful and will get back to Squirrel support with this link.

vodafone228

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 07:17:22 PM

As these are not out yet we can not promise anything with 100% certainty, but at this time we see no reason why the new generation of GPUs wouldn't work with Acorn.

I think the main restriction will remain to be motherboard support.
QuirkSilver

Activity: 80
Merit: 13

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 02:35:43 AM

Hope someone can explain please..... These do not boost CN v7 (heavy/light etc.) cause of its anti asic modifications? provided that i have an m2 MOBO in the first place, the acorn will support how many GPUs (full 13  AMD?)
Those FPGAs or asics or mining machines, how are they GPU friendly? seeing that the fans/developers are some of those promoting GPU mining (ohgodapeople) These are no accusations or any thing, I'm simply mining CN v7/heavyand atm ridiculously confused, trying to buy some bargain 8gb GPUs but meanwhile, seeing this mainly the -60% power saving changes the game entirely, making eth mining with this thing +13 old school polaris GPUs might as well kill newer nvidia released in hours (mainly because they are spiking low in price and the fact the acorn removes a lot of the power consumption?)

Forgot to add, would it support those 1 to 8 multipliers, cause many have m2 only in their limited gaming desktops.
dsmn

Activity: 68
Merit: 4

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 08:55:28 AM

Hope someone can explain please..... These do not boost CN v7 (heavy/light etc.) cause of its anti asic modifications? provided that i have an m2 MOBO in the first place, the acorn will support how many GPUs (full 13  AMD?)
Those FPGAs or asics or mining machines, how are they GPU friendly? seeing that the fans/developers are some of those promoting GPU mining (ohgodapeople) These are no accusations or any thing, I'm simply mining CN v7/heavyand atm ridiculously confused, trying to buy some bargain 8gb GPUs but meanwhile, seeing this mainly the -60% power saving changes the game entirely, making eth mining with this thing +13 old school polaris GPUs might as well kill newer nvidia released in hours (mainly because they are spiking low in price and the fact the acorn removes a lot of the power consumption?)

Forgot to add, would it support those 1 to 8 multipliers, cause many have m2 only in their limited gaming desktops.

Here we go again, please read https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/8b8o05/cryptonight_v7_vs_v1_a_nitpick_request_to_use_the/
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: